http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:14:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: Hunter Pet Stats  (Read 3659 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004, 03:56:10 PM »

Not sure how many other hunters there are, but I found this thread on the WoW site that has some good information on pets and the relative stats.  Also lists of what can and cannot be tamed.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-hunter&T=155&P=1

So far I'm enjoying my wolf Fenris, but those crabs are mighty cool and could make an impressive companion. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56:24 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I was just about to go look for something like that.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:02:34 PM »

I love my Hunter pet. I love the whole class in general. The pet makes for an amazing tank (using the Cat class with Growl and Claw), and once the pet gets aggro, it takes nearly an act of God (or my aggro drawing arrow) to get it off.

And I do some obscene damage, too.

Now, if I wasn't at work, I'd be playing... Damned job.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 06:22:40 PM »

Loving my Hunter also.  I've wanted to be a hunter ever since they were first announced as a class but was worried they would be one of the in between classes.  You know, not really good at any one thing and ignored by most groups. (I was a scrapper in COH and i'm still bitter)

So far this hasn't been the case.  I can do a fair amount of damage from afar and also can get in their and fight, hand to hand, if I must. The Hunter class also works really well when your teamed up with a rogue or warrior. It looks like some of the range attacks offer some root and stun abilities which will help us out in PvP.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 06:38:01 PM »

wow, thanks for that link.  i've just gotten my hunter(s) leveled high enough to acquire a pet and that list will, i'm sure, prove very useful.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 07:16:25 PM »

Nice info! I've stuck with a bear so far but have been looking to branch out. I just can't imagine Critter liking it in the stables though frown

Just hit 17 last night and am loving the hunter class  biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 07:45:28 PM »

Great class, and I enjoy playing my hunter.  I use a wolf simply out of personal preference.

That said, I think I'm retiring my hunter for a while.  It seems that one out of three, or one out of four players are hunters now.  Blah.   Something about playing the same class as such a large majority of players is a bit of a turn off for me.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »

I play a hunter when I play with my brother.  After leveling to 13th, I simply cannot play my Priest any longer.  I freaking love the hunter class, and especially have gotten extremely attached to my animal companion, Kitana.  She is a Moonstalker Nightsabre cat from the Elven lands.  I take her to the Dwarven Lands alot, where her black coat really stands out.  Every so often I will team up with other hunters (most of which have bears), and we have a blast together.  

And the girl gnome characters in the game give Kitana more hugs than you could imagine.  "So-and-so hugs Kitana"  -  I must see that message 4 to 6 times a night.  It is so freakin' funny!

Teaming up or Soloing... both are excellent with this class imho.

- - - - - -

And now, a special note to Priest players out there:  To you guys I say BRAVO!!!!   How you can get enjoyment out of watching health bars in combat situations 75% of the time is beyond me.  I thought I could do it, but I cannot.  Seriously, it must take an extremely special kind of person to be a Priest, and I applaud you guys.  Coincidently, I have found almost every Priest I have run into (which aren't many!) are super nice people.

LD    smile

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »

Quote from: "Shifter"
snip(I was a scrapper in COH and i'm still bitter)

snip.

Off topic:  When did you quit.  As of a few months ago they buffed scrappers a bit and they were one of the better classes or so I heard.  I played a controller to 28 or so and a tank to 22 or so.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I freaking love the hunter class, and especially have gotten extremely attached to my animal companion, Kitana.  She is a Moonstalker Nightsabre cat from the Elven lands.  I take her to the Dwarven Lands alot, where her black coat really stands out.  

Oddly enough, I took one of the Dwarven White Cheetah's into the Night Elf lands. Artax's white coat really stands out in the greenery of the Elves. smile

I also get the occasional emotes aimed at my Panda pet I got from my CE edition. All the thing does is run around and sleep (right at my feet when I'm in a life and death situation, mind you), but people seem to love it.

That and the Diablo pet. Can't imagine why...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 07:07:49 PM »

I think most of the dwarven hunters have bears because our other choices in our newbie area are a cat or a pig. The cats are cool, just not very dwarfy, ya know? And a pig?!? For some reason people don't seem to pick the wolves much, which is a bit of a mystery to me, and there are the odd few that have the giant spiders as pet.s. Good in combat but not very cuddly.

I'm level 17 and still only have 1 pet-my original bear. Haven't run across anything else that's really grabbed me and my bear is still quite adequate for my needs. I've been kinda eyeballing the fleshrippers in Westfall, and last night I saw someone with a lion that they said they'd gotten in the Barrens. A lion would be cool! Not as prissy as the panthers, from a dwarf's opinion Tongue

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 07:12:20 PM »

Wolves don't have Claw though, isn't that a disadvantage?  I'm picking the game up soon and think I'm going to play a hunter as well.  I love wolves, but I have heard not having Claw is a bad thing.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 07:17:28 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Wolves don't have Claw though, isn't that a disadvantage?  I'm picking the game up soon and think I'm going to play a hunter as well.  I love wolves, but I have heard not having Claw is a bad thing.

No they don't get claw.  I still went with the wolf as they are a nice middle of the road pet.  They have decent armor, decent hit points, good damage.  I'm also betting that the current pets that can't take all the current skills with be getting their own new skills at some point.

Edit:  Oh, and they look sweet too.  smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:18:03 PM »

Are there any other classes that can have pets?

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 07:18:40 PM »

Warlocks can summon demons.

s

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 07:28:23 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Warlocks can summon demons.

s

I think I'll stick with a hunter then. smile

Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 02:51:45 AM »

My Warlock's Voidwalker is pretty badass, if I do say so.  He even has a neat ability that makes it very likely bad guys will attack him instead of me.  Which means I always have a tanker along with me.  smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 05:07:48 AM »

So what sort of Talent trees have you guys explored as a hunter?  

So far I have almost been ignoring them because I don't want to put them in the "wrong" things and then regret it later, but I realized that is pretty silly because for the last 5 levels I could have at least had some bonuses rather than running around with unused points.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 05:11:52 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

So far I have almost been ignoring them because I don't want to put them in the "wrong" things and then regret it later, but I realized that is pretty silly because for the last 5 levels I could have at least had some bonuses rather than running around with unused points.

I'm planning on maxing out Marksmanship.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 01:57:40 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

You can play around with talents over at  the Wow Vault talent calculator.

My current talent plan looks something like this:

Beast Mastery Talents (16 points)

Improved Aspect of the Hawk - 5/5 points
Endurance Training - 2/5 points
Improved Aspect of the Monkey - 3/3 points
Bestial Swiftness - 1/1 point
Unleashed Fury - 5/5 points

Marksmanship Talents (21 points)

Improved Concussive Shot - 5/5 points
Lethal Shots - 5/5 points
Improved Hunter's Mark - 4/5 points
Aimed Shot - 1/1 point
Mortal Shots - 5/5 points
Scatter Shot - 1/1 point

Survival Talents (14 points)

Precision - 5/5 points
Lightning Reflexes - 3/3 points
Improved Wing Clip - 5/5 points
Deterrence - 1/1 point

I think some of the talents are clearly better than the rest, and some seem downright worthless.  In the end, it just comes down to how you think you'll play your character, and what kind of things are important to you.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 02:24:38 PM »

Quote from: "Vesper"
My Warlock's Voidwalker is pretty badass, if I do say so.  He even has a neat ability that makes it very likely bad guys will attack him instead of me.  Which means I always have a tanker along with me.  smile

Speaking of that, you might think this is pretty funny. I was in Redridge with my priest killing some gnoll mystics and brutes for a quest and ran across a 19th level warlock with his little imp pet doing the same. He died several times, mainly due to trying to beat me to the mobs. So naturatlly I did not try to heal him or res him afterwards (I am 20th level priest).

After a little bit we thinned out the wanderers and there was a camp close by. So I group with the warlock to take the camp out. Of course he runs off when he sees another mob and agroes two others and dies. But eventually we are getting ready to pull the camp and I asked, "Shouldn't you get your voidwalker out?".  He was like "Why should I?". I said "You know, to maybe tank some of these gnolls for us?".  He complies and we get agroed by a few wanderers and kill them. He was the said, "Whoa, these voidwalkers are pretty good. Thanks for the tip.". Hehe, he went 10 levels and never really had a clue what his primary pet was capable of.

And now, a special note to Priest players out there: To you guys I say BRAVO!!!! How you can get enjoyment out of watching health bars in combat situations 75% of the time is beyond me.

Its all a matter of perspective. What do you do in group combat situations? Watch a mobs health drop 75% of the time i bet smile
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 04:20:07 PM »

Hehe, he went 10 levels and never really had a clue what his primary pet was capable of.

You know, I've seen this sort of thing quite a bit, and not just with the hunters.  It is almost funny how many people are playing this game and know less than I do about it, and this is my first MMORPG.  For example, just last night I met:

1) A hunter without a pet, who didn't bother getting a new one for at least a half hour (after which I didn't see him any more)

2) A priest who hadn't learned to resurrect, level 14 (and his equipment stunk, half as effective as my own in weapons and armor), and I suspect didn't have several other spells as well.  This particular character thought he was being effective by charging the enemy and whacking on it with his wimpy mace after casting 1 spell.

3) A warrior who used 2 skills during battle, also level 14 (don't they have more by then?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: