http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 03:51:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW Gripes  (Read 3722 times)
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:01:05 PM »

You know, I'd enjoy the game so much more (I still like it, don't get me wrong) if it weren't for two things:

Face choice. Not since EQ1 has there been such a limited set of stock faces and hairstyles. Yes, you can mix and match, making it closer to EQ1's second engine than its first, but still. I'm not a total sucker for the slider approach, since every resulting character ends up looking like a distant relative, but AO was able to do to preset faces etc. and have at least thirty or so per race. Four years ago.

Race/class restrictions. I like hunters and my favourite races are gnomes and undead. Sorry, out of luck. Again, I thought we'd have moved beyond that.

Can anyone think up actual *reasons* for these decisions? Perhaps the second point would conflict with the established lore from the RTS games, but I've always thought that to be secondary to making the best game possible right *now*.
Toe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:11:32 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
You know, I'd enjoy the game so much more (I still like it, don't get me wrong) if it weren't for two things:

Face choice. Not since EQ1 has there been such a limited set of stock faces and hairstyles. Yes, you can mix and match, making it closer to EQ1's second engine than its first, but still. I'm not a total sucker for the slider approach, since every resulting character ends up looking like a distant relative, but AO was able to do to preset faces etc. and have at least thirty or so per race. Four years ago.

Race/class restrictions. I like hunters and my favourite races are gnomes and undead. Sorry, out of luck. Again, I thought we'd have moved beyond that.

Can anyone think up actual *reasons* for these decisions? Perhaps the second point would conflict with the established lore from the RTS games, but I've always thought that to be secondary to making the best game possible right *now*.

More faces means more textures to load which means steeper system requirements. Blizzard, from the start, always looked to make WoW appear to casual gamers. To do that, you have to design your game to run decently on a casual gamer's casual computer. That seems to be the primary reason. I also think (but do not know for sure) that some countries WoW was focusing on have a larger base of lower-end computers when compared to the US and other "richer" countries.

As for your second point, don't get me started, hehe. I am not sure why Blizzard fell back on that age-old, tired fantasy concept of race-class restrictions. Pisses me off to no end that dwarves (which I play exclusively in any MMOL game that has them) could be mages in beta, but then it was taken out to "balance" the possible race-class combinations the Horde had. Grrrr. I wish Blizzard would have got with the 21st century and removed race-class restriction.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 08:51:18 PM »

i dont knwo about you guys, but I have trouble seeing any fuzzy wuzzy following around a rotting undead guy.  just my 2 cents, but i think that actualy fits well.

AttA
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:48:18 PM »

I wanted a gnome priest that used shields and wore leather.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:59:57 AM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
i dont knwo about you guys, but I have trouble seeing any fuzzy wuzzy following around a rotting undead guy.  just my 2 cents, but i think that actualy fits well.

Damn straight.  That's why any pet an undead hunter tamed should have immediately lost its flesh and been rendered a skeletal version of the animal

As a side note my Hunter went into the Felwood and tamed one of the critters there so now I have a bear with huge diseased gashes following him around.   Very cool.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 03:41:49 AM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
Damn straight.  That's why any pet an undead hunter tamed should have immediately lost its flesh and been rendered a skeletal version of the animal

That would've been so cool.   :shock:
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »

I'll tell ya what would make the game more fun for me.  I would like it more if there were fewer people playing it.  

It sure is annoying when there is a huge number of other players in a dungeon slaughtering everything that moves, keeping me from completing my quest, and making me feel completely unlike a hero.

It is even more annoying when I am forced out of mining ore to fight some stupid wolf 20 levels under me, and while I am doing that some asshat runs up and mines the ore I am fighting for.

As it is, I am hoping that some new "must play" MMO will come out soon and drag some of these dorks to it.

Admittedly, it gets less crowded as I get higher in level, but if I want to try a new character out, I get frustrated fast.  I had almost forgotten how annoying it was, but then a friend got the game, and I had to make a new character to play with him, because Blizzard failed to copy the sidekick idea from City of Heroes.  The one thing that COH got perfectly right, and Blizzard fails to include a version of it.

Anyway, Grrrr Blizzard. :evil:

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »

Let me preface my gripe by saying that WoW is probably the best game I've ever played.

But I wish they would add more Auctions Houses! 1 Auction House in Ironforge where thousands of people congregate at once is a terrible idea!

What would be the problem with putting Auction Houses in Ironforge, Stormwind, Darnassus, and a few other good size Alliance cities? I would think that this alone would alleviate much of the lag problems that plague Ironforge. It would also help the economy as low level players in places removed from Ironforge would have access to more goods and potential customers!

And while they are at it, they can copy Final Fantasy XI's auction house system for placing and bidding on items! That's about the only thing I miss from FFXI. smile

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 02:22:43 PM »

Quote from: "slackerjoe"
But I wish they would add more Auctions Houses! 1 Auction House in Ironforge where thousands of people congregate at once is a terrible idea!

This is actually supposed to be in the works.   I remember an early developer interview that mentioned more auction houses were going to be opened in other cities.   I think it will go a long way to making other capital cities more alive.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »

In beta they actually had separate auction houses in each major capital.  The problem was that one of the auction houses then became *the* auction house and you ended up with 4 others that weren't really being used.

It's hard to believe now, but Orgrimmar in beta was an outright ghost town.  Everyone hung out in Undercity.  Stormwind was also the home of the favored Alliance auction house, and it was incredibly laggy, much like IF is today.

When the devs were posed with the question of having linked auction houses  in beta, they basically said it couldn't be done.  They've since changed their tune, and one day, someday, we'll have them, but all we've ever heard are that there are huge technical hurdles to overcome.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 05:41:49 PM »

I'll agree with you as to how busy the lower levels are in WoW. Even on the less-populated servers, the ratio of idiots to people with brains is absurdly low.

Thankfully it changes once you get out of the noob zones, but until then, just turn off /1, /3, and /yell. Your sanity will thank you later. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »

I'll agree about the auction houses. I would just make the auction houses in the smaller villages/camps just be sort of offices of the major ones. So the auction houes in say Camp Mojache or Gadgetzan would be the same as the one in Orgimmar. Also wish the mounts either flew faster or they had some sort of advanced transit system. Maybe wizard NPC guys who you could pay to teleport you someplace.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
Quote from: "AttAdude"

As a side note my Hunter went into the Felwood and tamed one of the critters there so now I have a bear with huge diseased gashes following him around.   Very cool.

Umm just wondering, but if you caught an animal, killed it and then forced it reanimated corpse to follow you around would you not be a necromancer?

AttA
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 10:11:09 PM »

Well yes.  But one that could only raise up to three animals and is bad at spells but really good with a bow or rifle.  So kind of a crappy one.

Actually I would love to see a full blown necro class but I guess there would be too much Warlock overlap if it went the pet route.  Unless you could walk around with a pack of kind of weak but scrappy skeleton warriors.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 02:53:30 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Also wish the mounts either flew faster or they had some sort of advanced transit system. Maybe wizard NPC guys who you could pay to teleport you someplace.

Short of one or two griffin routes (that are absolutely stupidly designed), the flight system is extremely quick compared to other games.

Anybody remember waiting a half hour for the boat in EQ? And then waiting 15 minutes just for the stupid thing to get to its destination? Now that was a time sink.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 04:55:49 PM »

The AH house should at least be instanced, so that it doesn't bog down the rest of the city. Oh, and no pets, mounts, etc.

I'd prefer one AH system that spanned the globe though; it'd be wild to be able to actually use Teldrassil rather than only going there for the discounts on upgrades (I am Yet Another Night Elf Rogue *YANER*). Oh, and maybe some time based quests (ALA Asherons Call). And changes based on accomplishments. For instance, when you save someone, they STAY saved for you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Orion_Green
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 07:19:12 PM »

Hiya Purge,

Just  FYI, the druid waterform quest actually has a time based element (you have 30 minutes to find a bauble at the bottom of a lake).  It is the only quest that I have seen that is timed, but I personally thought it was a fun quest type.  

Does anyone know if there are any other timed quests in the game?

P.S. Was that your Hoofhearted that I saw the other day (yesterday?) in in Hillsbrad?  If so, moo to you sir.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 08:16:53 PM »

Quote from: "Orion_Green"
Hiya Purge,

Just  FYI, the druid waterform quest actually has a time based element (you have 30 minutes to find a bauble at the bottom of a lake).  It is the only quest that I have seen that is timed, but I personally thought it was a fun quest type.  

Does anyone know if there are any other timed quests in the game?

I have seen a few. One was like a 4th-5th level quest for dwarves/gnomes where they had to get a hot ale out to a dwarf before it cooled off. Another in Redridge, but I think it was warrior-specific where you have to run the gauntlet which involved getting to the inside of a cave and coming back in the alloted time. Also a few in Loch Modan where you have to kill a certain amount of buzzards, then boars in a set amount of time.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 08:33:39 PM »

there's also a timed quest that you can get from a guy on the thandol span.  look for him on the broken bridge.  it's quite the leap, but you can make it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 07:52:59 PM »

Erg, I don't mean "timed" quest so much as a "dated" quest tree.

Let me draw an example for you...

Ironforge is pushing to clean Gnomeregan, and alliance members are being called out to help. Alliance members struggle against the infestations (for about a month, people go in and clear out as much as possible, maybe take out some bignasty Named monster who's perpetrating the disease). After a month, the landscape changes... the gnomeregan areas are still accessible through instance (at least, the lower levels) but the higher levels are cleared out and they open up a city.

Or, all of a sudden there's a dramatic climate change, some NPC's are offering new quests (Argent Dawn, for instance, or Paladins only) to investigate. After a certain amount of time (and a reasonable completion rate, the storyline progresses with more stuff, enviroment reverting back, or outbreaks of new monsters in certain areas.

That kind of thing.

As to timed quests, that's pretty cool too. There was a delivery to Blasted lands, but I don't know that it was actually timed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »

Horizons tried something like that I think.  The problem you run into is trying to add new content all the time.  What about the newer players or the ones that play slower?  they then miss out.  

I can hear it now "On to Gnomeregan everyone!, Uh dude they cleaned the place up and nothing is left, its a tourist attraction now.."  "On to the deadmines! Uh Dude....tourist attraction".

It certainly is a good idea, I just do not think it is in any way possible to do this in an MMORPG.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 04:05:18 AM »

Quote from: "drifter"
Horizons tried something like that I think.  The problem you run into is trying to add new content all the time.  What about the newer players or the ones that play slower?  they then miss out.  

I can hear it now "On to Gnomeregan everyone!, Uh dude they cleaned the place up and nothing is left, its a tourist attraction now.."  "On to the deadmines! Uh Dude....tourist attraction".

It certainly is a good idea, I just do not think it is in any way possible to do this in an MMORPG.

Try Asherons Call, 5-6 years ago.

unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 02:58:33 PM »

another problem- all the time creating, balancing, populating, creating drops, quests, etc, becomes essentially wasted.  You can literally make an entire level just by doing the ton of Gnomeregan quests.  All that content disappears if you 'clear' the city.

IMO, Blizz is on the right track by adding content rather than changing it.  Once they have everything done they wish to do, or an area is being underutilized, they should changed it or add on to it.  But at the moment there is too much that needs to be done to worry about doing that kind of stuff.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
another problem- all the time creating, balancing, populating, creating drops, quests, etc, becomes essentially wasted.  You can literally make an entire level just by doing the ton of Gnomeregan quests.  All that content disappears if you 'clear' the city.

IMO, Blizz is on the right track by adding content rather than changing it.  Once they have everything done they wish to do, or an area is being underutilized, they should changed it or add on to it.  But at the moment there is too much that needs to be done to worry about doing that kind of stuff.

There are a lot of areas that are being underutilized.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »

It would be neat to have away for you to say "I am done with this instance forever" and then, when you went back to the instance, it would be different in some manner.  Maybe its essentially the same but with much harder monsters, maybe different ones. Like, lets take you clear out the Stockades in Stormwind then declare you are done with it, now when you go back an evil necromancer has taken control and raised up all the prisoners  you killed before. For gnomeregan, a lot of the areas would now be reclaimed by the gnomes (who might offer you good deals on rare items since you saved their city), with still some parts still infested with more powerful mutants.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 12:43:59 AM »

That would be a bit too complex; then the instance needs to check if anybody in the group has 'finished' the instance, and alter the content accordingly.  This would also then alter the experience for people who havent finished it, because their group includes someone who has.

The way WoW works is essentially like Diablo- the content doesnt change after you 'finish' it.  You can always go back and repeat the experience to get some phat lewt, and in fact, this is encouraged.  It also allows you to do parts of the instance without necessarily having to 'do' the whole thing in one sitting.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 03:44:43 AM »

The face choice is weak as heck in WoW.  Weaker than even EQ1 post graphics upgrade.  

However my WoW grip is....the effing que's that heretofore I did not run into on whisperwind.  Please allow me to whine and gripe.

Whine :!:

TFL
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
That would be a bit too complex; then the instance needs to check if anybody in the group has 'finished' the instance, and alter the content accordingly.  This would also then alter the experience for people who havent finished it, because their group includes someone who has.

The way WoW works is essentially like Diablo- the content doesnt change after you 'finish' it.  You can always go back and repeat the experience to get some phat lewt, and in fact, this is encouraged.  It also allows you to do parts of the instance without necessarily having to 'do' the whole thing in one sitting.

Which is what I've done with Gnomeregan. After killing the boss there were a few leftover quests in the first part of the instance that I managed to clear by myself. I still have the escort quest to do, but I doubt I could manage it solo as a level 38 priest and that's a difficult one to put a group together for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: