http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 10:53:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW: enchanting?  (Read 2123 times)
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2004, 12:53:16 AM »

Anyone have it or know much about it?

I am currently at 180 lw and a bunch of skinning, but i am disapointed in it. Mainly because it has no future. Blizzard has clearly stated that drops are meant to be much better than crafted equipment so why even bother? plus, i can just buy the gear for a small fee instead of making it myself!

enchanting is one of the few trade skills that is useful when everyone has there "Godly katana of the blackfisted orc killers who used insane fire weapons to pwn nubis." the +damage enchantments to weapons also look good to me. I am a rogue, so i use low damage, very fast weapons. My current mainhand at lvl 36 is a toxic revenger and +2 damage or so would be a rather sizeable increase.

Also, as a rogue i can sneak into instances and assassinate bosses like the viscous fallout to get blue items to disenchant in a rather short amount of time.

I was thinking of picking up enchanting and tailoring at the same time, opinions?
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:08:10 AM »

I chose enchanting and tailoring for my rogue and have had a blast with it.  The truth of the matter is that tailoring wont do much good for a rogue after you get past the wool stage of the skill.  I use mine primarily to make goods to disenchant to buff my enchanting skill, which works fine but seems like a waste.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:40:45 PM »

On my relatively quiet server, I see Enchanters useful for exactly one thing - giving players the 'Power of the Glow' (Beastslaying +2 or the one that gives a flat +2 or more damage, but is a blue color). In my experience, I don't see them offering services more than that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:29:41 PM »

Enchanting is a huge suck hole of resources.  You can do some nice stuff with it.  I have a mage that has tailoring and enchanting.  You can make items right away with tailoring that you can use.  With enchanting you can make them a bit better.  In order to get what you need to enchant items you have to disenchat or break green, blue or god forbid purple items.  You would normally be selling these for money so if you dont have a gruildor group of people to supply you with items to break this can really impact your finances.

Enchanting doesnt really have skill that supports it.  Tailoring is in the same boat although some tailoring items require leather so you could take skinning to get it.  Like mining supports smithing and engineering, skinning supports leatherworking, herbalism supports alchemy.

Drifter
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 10:11:49 PM »

Quote from: "drifter"

Enchanting doesnt really have skill that supports it.  Tailoring is in the same boat although some tailoring items require leather so you could take skinning to get it.  Like mining supports smithing and engineering, skinning supports leatherworking, herbalism supports alchemy.

Drifter

Tailoring supports it. You get linen, buy some bleach and thread and you can make a green.  The White Linen Robes. Then you disenchant tha and you get your components. It's not free but you donnot have to go around breaking purbles and blues. It is like 25c for bleach, 10c for thread, and 3 bolts you could sell for 40c or so. The robes sell for 99c if you need to clear a small profit.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 01:28:18 AM »

I currently do Enchanting and Tailoring.  I have some 'secrets' I will not share, but I can give you useful advice nonetheless  :wink:

To start, let me give my slant on some things which have been said.  First, I dont think LW will be a waste due to drops being better.  Yes, they will be, but LW (and any other craft) is 'on demand'.  Sure, the AH is kind of 'on demand' as well, but you only get your pick of what is actually for sale, what your guild or friends can get you, etc.

Second, I dont think its really possible, unless you have financial backing, to keep your skills up to date with your level.  Once you get to around 150 skill (lvl 20), you will probably start noticing your skills dropping to around 5 levels below your current level, unless you dedicate quite a bit of energy to it.  However, since Im doing tailor/enchanter, YMMV, since LW/skinning can acquire their own resources more easily (without resorting to purchasing resources).

Third, what do *I* think your best course is?  I would, in hindsight, suggest your best bet is to pick two 'gathering' professions and live large off the proceeds.  You can make tall cash once you start getting Heavy Leather, since it is used both by LW and a few other special trade items (such as the 10-slot Silk Bags).

Finally, if you really DO want to delve into the sad world of crafting,
1. do it on an 'alt', and/or
2. do it once your main character reaches a high level
why?  because at that point you can quickly and easily powerlevel the skill with a negligible amount of effort.

-
So, on to Enchanting specific advice.  One 'secret' I will let you in on: you can get from 1-50 without even enchanting a single item, and I highly suggest you do so.  Once you reach advance past 50, you can power level the skill with all the supplies you created going from 1-50.

After that, heaven help you =)  Since you will, 98% of the time, your enchanting supplies will come from items you yourself have disenchanted, this makes for a huge resource sink.  Meaning, rather than making ph@t l3wt selling stuff at the AH, you will be disenchanting it so you can create enchants which are, at best, marginally useful.

Why?  Because lets face it- until you get to very high levels, equipment is pretty much of a disposable nature.  And people will *probably* not want to commit much money to something of marginal value, and wisely so (IMO).  That is why, for the most part, people really only want enchanters for the "GLOWY SWARD" effect, to borrow a term from a very funny guy I encountered during Open Beta.

That is why most people take tailoring as a combo- because it doesnt have a requisite gathering skill.  But it still takes 'harvesting', since the normal course of adventuring isnt going to net you enough cloth to keep your skill current with your level.  Yes, you can 'farm' cloth, but time spent farming is time not spent getting xp, so IMO its time technically wasted.  So again, you fall back on requiring some sort money or materials from an external source behind you (higher level alt, guild, friends, etc).
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 03:49:48 PM »

The happiest I've ever made anyone, in any game, with a freebie was last night.  I have a barely adequate leatherworking skill on my Tauren Druid, and I was grouped with a tenth level hunter who had never even heard of an ammo pouch.  So I made him one.  And lo, there was great happiness.

Christmas - it's not about the presents, it's about the children's mispelled typing.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:27:10 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
The happiest I've ever made anyone, in any game, with a freebie was last night.  I have a barely adequate leatherworking skill on my Tauren Druid, and I was grouped with a tenth level hunter who had never even heard of an ammo pouch.  So I made him one.  And lo, there was great happiness.

Christmas - it's not about the presents, it's about the children's mispelled typing.

People like that worry me.  I mean you start with a ammo pouch or quiver as a hunter.  It's right there holding your ammo/arrows.  I just hit that same level this morning with my leatherworking and can now make both the ammo pouch and quiver with my druid smile.  Even the little leather +8 armor patches are nice at the lvl I'm currently at.

That is almost as bad as the druid I was grouped with the other night.  He simply would not use spells.  He jumped in and flailed away with his staff and would use maybe 1-2 spells for a +1, +2 mob.  I guess he thought druids were a melee class (the group didn't last that long).
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »

Enchanting can be  tough to raise, especially once you start needing the components from 40+ gear.  But you can make a lot of money with it, especially at high levels when gear turnover is much lower and folks are willing to invest more into their items, and overall it isnt as hard to max as the other manufacturing skills.  I bet it is hands down the most lucrative manufacturing skill there is.

olaf
faraphoenix418
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:49:34 PM »

Tailoring supports it. You get linen, buy some bleach and thread and you can make a green. The White Linen Robes. Then you disenchant tha and you get your components. It's not free but you donnot have to go around breaking purbles and blues. It is like 25c for bleach, 10c for thread, and 3 bolts you could sell for 40c or so. The robes sell for 99c if you need to clear a small profit.

My main is an Herbalist/Alchemist Mage, and just for a bit of varity, I took up Enchanting with the Priest alt that I've long since retired to Tailoring in Iron Forge.  Long story short, I thought I'd offer a few tips on how I got from lvl 1 - 100 in Enchanting in a fairly short amount of time.  Level 90 is when you'll get your first "glowy" enchantment: Minor Beastslaying.  It does little else other than make the player's weapon glow a nice magical red.  I'm on the same server as Destructor, and it's going to be the first enchantment that you'll be able to offer that people will want to buy.  

First, I made a million brown robes -- the linen was from drops my main char found, so all I had to buy was the thread, which is pretty cheap.  You can save on the bleach that you'd normally use for a white robe.  I got to about 45 or so by just disenchanting these brown robes.  Next, I made a pair of cheapy bracers.  Again, not much on supplies, since I get the linen from my main and guild.  Then I enchanted the same bracers over and over with one of the first two enchants you'll get - +5 Health.  Just keep overwriting the enchantment.  This got me to about 75, where a friend helped take over.  He does Leathercrafting, and we found that, on average, items with higher magical stats will yield a larger number of green dust, and have a better chance at yielding lesser magical essences than the brown robes will.  He helped me get to 90, and I enchanted his axe for free for all the pauldrens he tossed my way for disenchanting.

The second trick to enchanting is that it's all word of mouth, and selling yourself on broadchat, vs. just dumping your stuff on the Auction House.  If you're personable when you sell an enchantment to another player, offer a fair price/trade, and let them know what other enchantments you offer, chances are they'll come back to you in the future, or tell their friends about you.  Only a few minutes after I sold my first Minor Beastslayer, the player's friend came to me because she was jealous of the glow, and he had told her I made it happen.

Another popular enchantment among the mages is +30 mana on a chestpiece.  If you're a tailor, there are tons of robes you can make, enchant with this, and offer in the trade channel.

Be forewarned -- once the cheapy stuff you make stops rewarding you with the increasingly higher amount of greater essences and such that you'll need for the higher enchantments (the ones that actually sell), you may experience slight chest pains when you start having to destroy blue items to get shards.  

~Fara
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 05:43:48 AM »

Well, i have enchanting now. I am currently at 250ish. I trained all the recipes that the master trainer (the person who thought up the idea to put the master enchanter in uldaman should be fired.... or at least forced to play swg 20+ hours a day) and now i have to find dropped recipes (or buy them for extreme amounts of gold). It has been clear from the start that enchanting is just sort of tacked on compared to blacksmithing (how come they get tons of quests and i don't know one that i get?). It was kind of hard going from easy mode (leather working) to hard mode (enchanting), but thanks to a couple friends making me items, i managed to train my enchanting quite a bit. It also helped that i sent my tailoring buddy a bunch of wool, linen, silk and now mageweave (depending on what we both needed to skill at the time).

Enchanting broke even at maybe 225ish. the second level weapon enchants (+3 1 hand dmg and +5 2 hand dmg) sell pretty quickly. The problem is that they cost a lot to make (in lost funds if i had sold to a vendor instead). I started out charging 3 gold for these enchants, but after a while I raised it to 3.5 gold since the profit was extremely low at 3. at 3 gold, i make maybe 30 silver MAX over what i would have made selling the items i disenchanted to a vendor (if you compare what you would have got for them on the ah, it is even worse). This problem looks like it gets even worse down the line.

the +7 2hand dmg weapon enchant requires (off the top of my head) two lvl 41-46 blue items and 1 lvl 41-46 green item. That would probably bring the pure cost (not including a profit for me or the extreme cost of training enchanting) to at least 7 gold selling to a vendor. Of course its not that simple. i can solo some of the bosses that drop 31-36 blues for large glowing shards, but no way am i going to be able to do that against what drops 41-46 blues. This means the lack of supply will further drive the price up as everyone is going to want all the non usable blues to sell. I can also probably get more than 7 gold selling any decent (non bind on pickup) blue i find on the ah.

This leads me to the situation i am looking at now. As it stands, I won't be doing any of these weapon enchantments for anyone but a good friend unless i am offered extreme amounts of money. It's just not worth it. Random strangers don't care that i have to sell even midlevel enchantments for over one gold because blizzard made the resource requirements insane, all they care about is getting their stupid glowing weapon (grrr i don't do beast slayer!).
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 09:58:41 AM »

Im not really so sure Ill be continuing Enchanting either.  Its really hard to get the stuff for it.

However, I do tell people that I will do it if THEY get the parts, so its kind of a no pain way to go (assuming you arent waiting for them).  Having said that, however, I told a friend I would enchant his weap, and havent hooked up with him for three days now- one of us is always grouped when the other is in town.
Bensidhe
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »

I think one of the secrets to Enchanting supplies is networking . I've found in Tailoring I need X amount of this item to create X amount of that item . In the Guild I'm in its always on /g chat that some one has this item , who wants to trade , or they will send you the items , OR ...its done as a favor . Some of our Crafters are at Artisan level , so  suppies are prohibitively expensive, but someone somewhere has what is needed . The AH is good , but its strictly a money making venture for a lot of people .
 Good will  is sometimes expensive but from what I've seen so far, what comes around goes around in WoW . I've sent a fair number of items to guildies via mail so that they can make what they need . I had no use for them and didn't think selling them would net me much , but a Crafter somewhere needed them so off they went . It pays to keep your eyes open and do favors .

'Ware the "Shee's wail, naught good comes of it "
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 01:12:21 AM »

I do that stuff Bensidhe. Whenever i find mageweave or silk (i do keep some silk to make bandages), i send it all to my tailor buddy. He makes me stuff to disenchant often and i send him the materials he uses for stuff. Of course our relationship is not limited to trading resources as we also quest together often. Pretty much all the people in the guild i am in are helpful, but I can't ask for all green drops that nobody is going to use since i don't think that is fair to them. I also really can't expect them to send me non bind on pickup blues that they could sell for like 10g just so i could make a 3.5g enchantment. In the same light they can't expect me to give them an enchantment that costs me over 8g in lost sales (+7 dmg to 2hnd) for free.

Enchantments simply cost way too much for what they provide. Thankfully i have only ever had one person complain about my prices (3.5g now for +3 1hdn dg and +5 2hnd dmg), but some people have made it clear that they thought it was kind of high without actually coming out and saying it. So far my offer to make any enchantment for free if they provided the resources has sealed the deal. One time a level 27 telled me and said maybe he could trade me greens for the weapon enchant. I said sure and told him the items i would need to disenchant to make it. He replied saying that that could cost like 8 gold  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: