http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:04:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW custom interfaces  (Read 7482 times)
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2004, 07:23:38 PM »

so i've seen lots of folks talking about third-party custom interfaces for use in world of warcraft.  here's a short list of the ones i've heard about or seen mentioned:

cosmos

ctmod

nurfed

gypsy

i haven't tried any of them yet but it's really only a matter of time before i do.  that said, for the folks who have tried them out, what are your opinions?  is one better than the rest?  more stable?  more functional?  what are your thoughts?
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 07:33:01 PM »

I couldn't get CTMOD to work for the life of me.  But Nerfed is pretty good.  I haven't tried cosmos though, I hear it's good.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 07:50:30 PM »

I'm not even sure why I would want to use one.  The WoW interface seems pretty polished to me.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 07:55:18 PM »

Cosmos is good, though there's a little too much "stuff" and not all of it can be turned off (hidden yes, but turned off no; makes me a little nervous as I'm the sort of user who doesn't like anything running that I don't explicity want). Having said that, once you configure it the way you want it I can see it being indispensable. Some very minor bugs and some features are quite crude (tooltips on the mouse pointer -- great; tooltips sitting half-off the screen because the thing you're mousing over is on the edge -- not so great). Some of the features also have trouble remembering window positions and such. Hate to say it, but EQ2 gets the nod on that score!

I wish Cosmos' various components were available in standalone form (or if they are, I can't find out how to use/configure them without Cosmos).
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:58:03 PM »

warning -- the WoW interface out of the box is very good indeed, but sooner or later you're going to get fed up with the one-at-a-time hotkey bar system. That's the only reason I sought out Cosmos. I mean, CoH's interface was even simpler, but you could still get a second row of hotkeys up.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 07:58:58 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm not even sure why I would want to use one.  The WoW interface seems pretty polished to me.

i agree that the wow interface is great.  however, i'd like to have a few extra toolbars, the ability to notate my map, more visible buff timers and such.  i'm leaning towards ctmod but wanted to get a few opinions first.  smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:24:20 PM »

Cosmos all the way.

In addittion to giving you over 30 additional onscreen abilities it also allows stat-tracking, up to the second DPS reports and full combat statistics, an onscreen quest tracker to keep a running total on multiple collection quests, the ability to play minigames with other cosmos users, page other cosmos users, share quests with them, get a list of quests you have in common with other party members, upload game data to thottbot to keep it an extremely accurate resource and probably a bunch more that I haven't discovered yet.

topnotch resource smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

Yeah, the standard UI is good, but the lack of extra toolbar slots will kill you once you get higher up.  I'm 17 now, and somewhere around 14 or so, the extra slots became necessary.

And I've probably said it a dozen times, but I like the nurfed.com interface.  Adds the extra toolbar to the side, adds buff/debuff timers (which is one of those I'll-never-go-back features), even the clock is nice.  The only thing I didn't like was one of zinckiwi's plusses, the floating tooltip.  I find the default tooltip size to be too large to be out in the middle of the window, so I disabled it in the code (one line change).  If they ever put something in that is sllimmer and keeps it's position over the target, then I'll put it back on.

Cosmos is most likely great, but when I unzipped the file and saw the number of things in there, I didn't want any part of it. nurfed's interface is something like 25 files, much more my speed.

Oddly enough I feel a little guilty for not running Cosmos, simply because I use thottbot a lot and I feel like I should be contributing, but eventually I get over it. smile

[edit]

One other thing I love about nurfed...if you have a healthstone, healing potion, or any other emergency potion/bandage, it automatically figures out the best ones and adds them to a toolbar just for this purprose.  So no more realizing you forgot to put that greater healing potion on the toolbar and hoping you have time to fish it out of your bag.  It's all automatic.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:21:18 PM »

From my understanding everything in Comsos, CTmod etc. is part of the WoW software package. Blizzard, instead of doing it themselves, simply made their UI extremely customizable. What Cosmos and the others do is take the leg work out of figuring out how to write the customs mods, which are scripted in LUA, and places them in a single user friendly package. If you already know how to script LUA then you dont need to use the 3rd party Mods, if you want to give it a shot here is the link to a tutorial page:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-interface-customization&t=173&p=1&tmp=1#post173

Blizzard insisted that any mods packages be done with open source code, there was a bit of a stink from the Cosmos guys but obviously they complied, so not much worry of malicious code. I did hear a rumor that one of the features you can turn on in Cosmos allowed one of the programers to mess with the appearance of another players character. Something about putting an unflattering Tag on his name.

The other somewhat worrisome feature of cosmos is that it can extract data from your characters cache files and send them to the Thottbot website. Im sort of on the fence about this, Thott's site is awesome and the data mining allows for great info on item drops, what mobs drop it, percentage of times dropped etc. You have to actually choose to use this feature so its not that pervasive but having info from my computer sent elswhere makes me a bit nervous. Allakazhams(sp?) is offering the same service except he charges folks to actually lookup the info they're providing the site, Thottbot is still currently free.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:26:05 PM »

As you said, that feature of cosmos is completely optional and actually defaults to being turned off. And the guy that runs Thottbot has recently stated that thottbot will remain free to use  biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 09:46:29 PM »

So I installed Cosmos last night, and I especially like the extra quickbar (got really used to it with my CoH controller).  However, there's one thing I haven't figured out.  Is there a keystroke to actually hotkey the second toolbar?  For example, in CoH, hitting 1 activated the action in slot one, and shift+1 activated the action above slot one.  I'm assuming there's something similar for Cosmos, or it almost negates the point of the second quickbar.  So what's the trick?

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 11:12:51 PM »

Check the key bindings screen.  Nurfed has settings for their toolbar, so I assume Cosmos has them too.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 06:01:38 AM »

Cosmos is da bomb, yo.  I especially love two features about it- first is the ability to put notes on maps, and second is being able to share quests.

So no more "oh, I need to run halfway around the world to get that quest you want me to help you with".  

You can also share map notes; I have been marking all points of interest, like copper veins, herb locations, etc, as well as trainers in town, etc.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 07:09:42 AM »

I like Cosmos...one of my favorite things is the tackle box..a fishing helper...it makes it so you can right click to cast into water...also you can set it so when you right click to reel your fish in it will auto recast for you.

Oh and the loot..if something has no loot it instantly closes the stupid loot box.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 10:14:03 AM »

Maybe I am the only one using Gypsy.

I love it.  Download everything, and only use what you want.  

Not very cumbersome, easy to use, and a godsend.

I do wish WoW would have ripped off EQ2's interface options though.  Now that interface rocks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 12:51:07 PM »

Using Gypsy here.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 01:34:26 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Cosmos is da bomb, yo.  I especially love two features about it- first is the ability to put notes on maps, and second is being able to share quests.

So no more "oh, I need to run halfway around the world to get that quest you want me to help you with".

Actually that functionaility (ability to share quests) is a normal feature of the regular interface.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 02:29:42 PM »

How easy are they to install/uninstall.  Im defintlly gonna try them but might wont to try a few.

morlac00 on PSN
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 03:14:30 PM »

I've got a dumb question here, but is Blizzard cool with this? Using these UI helpers doesn't violate the TOS does it? I'm just thinking of how anal SOE was about stuff like that with EQ. I'd hate to get banned.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 03:18:15 PM »

Why do you need more than one toolbar on the screen at a time?

I use shift 1-6 to toggle between them, its lightning fast and there is minimal screen clutter.

olaf
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 03:58:11 PM »

I'm using Cosmos.  As for why I didn't like Blizzard's default solution (the Shift + 1-6) it's because I can't remember where I put all my icons.  In the heat of battle, that can be bad.  Sure, you say -- just put your battle icons on one set, buffs on another, etc.  I still didn't like it.  I like seeing Fortitude on another toolbar, it reminds me to cast it every so often.  Same goes for recasting herbalism after I die, things like that.  I don't care so much about the clutter, I like to be able to grab my tools as quickly as possible.

I particularly like the clock and the instant information features of Cosmos, too, like "Time to level at this rate" and "Total time spent playing" and so on.  The onscreen damage-per-second is a great feature too, depending on your character class.

I have noticed, though, that occasionally the 2nd or 3rd line of the tooltip will disappear about 1 second after it pops up?  Is this a Cosmos bug?  Do I just have some setting configured wrong?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 05:58:36 PM »

Seems to be a bug..i have one with prices showing up..they show for an instant then are goneand i have to move my mouse away then back over the item to see what the store is offering.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 11:44:30 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Seems to be a bug..i have one with prices showing up..they show for an instant then are goneand i have to move my mouse away then back over the item to see what the store is offering.

What makes no sense is that I have this issue with one of my characters, yet I don't on the other. Same account, same server, same settings (as far as I can figure).

I'm guessing one of Cosmos' options is causing it, but I can't tell. I have that UI and two from another - LootLink and MobHealth. LootLink keeps a running database of all the items you see on other people/yourself (collected by just clicking on a person), and MobHealth attempts to estimate, well, mob's health in numerical format. Both are great addons that I love having around.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 03:24:54 AM »

I was using cosmos and i just switched to gypsy today. I like gypsy better, BUT i still use questminion. I also think i need to add back cosmos's buffbar since the one gypsy uses does not show equipment buffs (i am a poison using rogue so this is a HUGE problem for me).

I also need to install cosmos's map functions too since gypsy doesn't have them either. Maybe I will also install cosmos's little weapon bar thing since it is helpful when repoisoning.

It may seem like i am installing tons of cosmos stuff, but i do like the base gypsy interface much better.

oh and i had the cost of items disapearing when i was using cosmos too. I switched to gypsy and it stopped...
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 03:47:13 AM »

I did notice Cosmos doing all kinds of crazy things with the tooltips.  That is probably my only real complaint about it, but once I used the standard "Interface Options" setting to make brief tooltips, it seemd to have fixed it.

Having the whole paragraph explaining the spell come up and obscure a large portion of the screen every time I mouseover a button was incredibly annoying.

One feature I would *love* is if you could "lock" the toolbars.  I've died too many times because I dragged my spell out of the tool bar rather than actually casting it.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 03:55:55 PM »

unbreakable, could you explain what you did precisely to use "the standard Interface Options setting to make brief tooltips"?  I looked in my settings and didn't see anything like that for Cosmos.

I really like Cosmos, but the text disappearing every time I look at an item has really gotten annoying ... so much so that I may just switch to something else, if I can't get this fixed.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 04:29:33 PM »

One feature I would *love* is if you could "lock" the toolbars. I've died too many times because I dragged my spell out of the tool bar rather than actually casting it.

Ive done this with spells and attacks...I have to open up my stuff and recreat the hotkey button during a fight..not fun...usually its due to lag.

unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 11:54:05 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
unbreakable, could you explain what you did precisely to use "the standard Interface Options setting to make brief tooltips"?  I looked in my settings and didn't see anything like that for Cosmos.

I really like Cosmos, but the text disappearing every time I look at an item has really gotten annoying ... so much so that I may just switch to something else, if I can't get this fixed.

ha, that was why I quantified "standard": it is the non-cosmos "Interface Options" menu  Tongue
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2004, 03:44:18 PM »

The more I play, the less I like Cosmos.  I started using Cosmos when it very first came out in beta, and since then, they've added a ton of features.  Way too many.

It just seems so bloated.  I'm eyeing some of the alternatives, which look nice and clean, without any of the extra mess, and I'm awfully tempted.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004, 05:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
One feature I would *love* is if you could "lock" the toolbars. I've died too many times because I dragged my spell out of the tool bar rather than actually casting it.

Ive done this with spells and attacks...I have to open up my stuff and recreat the hotkey button during a fight..not fun...usually its due to lag.

Cosmos has that feature (at least mine does). In the very lower left corner of the screen (just to the left of the very first power) is a small little box you can check. This locks all spells/abilities in the many taskbars so they can't be moved anymore.

And as far as Cosmos being bloated - well, I only have 1/3 of Cosmos actually enabled. Yes, most of it is just a bloated mess, but you can easily turn it off with the dozens of configuration options.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 06:04:14 PM »

I had the same opinion of Cosmos.  I installed it, and once I realized I was turning off 85% of the features I ditched it.  Since then I have been using Nurfed.   It adds just a few features (sidebar, autobar, timers on buffs), and seems very minimalistic.  I like it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 09:10:28 PM »

BTW - how to fix the '4th line in the popup tooltip for items/weapons/whatever' bug in Cosmos, do the following:

Go into the Cosmos options and disable Props. I can't give a more detailed explination as I'm at work, but I just looked it up on the WoW site.

Yes, I'm bored at work. smile

unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 06:00:53 PM »

Heavens bless you, sir.  That bug was pissing me off.

edit- holy cow, you also posted how to lock the toolbars.  Destructor, you are DA MAN!!!
Seekre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 09:04:11 PM »

I went to the Nurfed site but could not find a place there to download the latest Nurf mod?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 09:17:48 PM »

I'm back to using Cosmos but I noticed something a little odd last night.

I created a rogue human character (christ, i REALLY need to stop creating characters, running them 6 or 7, and going on to another as soon as i read a post about how cool THAT one is) and set up the hot bars they way i wanted them.  however, as soon as i stealthed it emptied my hotbar.  is this normal behaviour?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2004, 12:13:19 AM »

I just downlaoded cosms and played it, not bothring to read features and whatnot.

I didnt realise how much I used it until the new patch and I forgot to update cosmos and next thing i know, no cosmos..

DPS isnt exactly going to win you any awards on the coolnessscale, but when your debating between weapontypes and damage output of specific things, it's genius.

The Quest bonuses makes my life worth living on so many levels it hurts, because it means I have a basis for fguring out when to do any specific quest.  (Doesnt mean IS tilld otn do 40 elite quetss at 33, but I digress)

If I only had 1 bar to use, I'd shoot myself.  The lockdown feature so you dont accidentally lose your skill in the middle of a battle makes cosmos worth getting on its own.

I didnt even know I could write on maps, or do any of the other features cosmos has... had no clue... Never used them, neevr tried.

I guess it's all on the person using it to determien howmuch or how little he uses it, but anything that allows me to have all my skills up on easy to click spots gets brownie points in my book

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2004, 05:02:12 AM »

Quote from: "Seekre"
I went to the Nurfed site but could not find a place there to download the latest Nurf mod?

there are little icons just below the title of the site and one of them is a direct link to the download.  i'm really liking nurf's interface.  it's simple, doesn't clutter the screen and has all the features i was looking for.  however, i've yet to try any of the others.  but until i need more features, i imagine i'll be sticking with nurfed's.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2004, 06:20:29 AM »

Quote from: "hepcat"

I created a rogue human character (christ, i REALLY need to stop creating characters, running them 6 or 7, and going on to another as soon as i read a post about how cool THAT one is) and set up the hot bars they way i wanted them.  however, as soon as i stealthed it emptied my hotbar.  is this normal behaviour?

When you use stealth you have a completely separate bar that you can put whatever you want on.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2004, 02:27:26 PM »

Quote from: "Andy22"
Quote from: "hepcat"

When you use stealth you have a completely separate bar that you can put whatever you want on.

thanks andy.  for some reason mine would roll over to a new hotbar that had nothing in it, no matter what i would place there when stealthed.  i finally just put everything in a cosmo hotbar and it stays put now

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »

The bar that rolls up when you are stealthed is where you put your stealth abilities, ie pickpocket, ambush, etc.  The first couple levels or so it may be empty.

Edit: Oh, I see even though you had hotkeys they still weren't showing up.  Sorry for the misread.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: