http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:35:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW Buzz.  (Read 5184 times)
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 01:56:47 PM »

From reading some of the account from last night's midnight release, it looks like WoW is going to be absolutely huge.

Apparently Wal-mart has a large display of them and had them in-store for the release.  Wal-mart is HUGE.

At one Fry's they sold out of around 4000 copies (after bringing another truckload).

I expected WoW to be big but the buzz is pretty strong for a game that many, many people have already seen and played.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:28:51 PM »

By all accounts (so far) the launch has been silky smooth as well, best yet for an MMO.

1.5 hours until I pick up my copy from Gamestop. The local idiots here didn't see a need for a midnight sale on this.  :roll: I pre-ordered a month ago or I would have hit Wal-Mart.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »

The eb was crowded, moms coming in for kids, peopel calling on the phone, they were only selling reservations, and collectors editions were flying out of the box.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:27:06 PM »

I thought there would be more servers up.

Only two RP servers only right now, EST and PST.  Many people are flocking there in the hopes of avoiding the typical Blizzard battle.net customer.

olaf
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:46:43 PM »

I picked up a copy at lunch. Didn't need to reinstall since I was in the beta. I had ZERO problems creating an account. I was SHOCKED by how smoothly it went, after the open beta was so horrific. I created a couple of new char's and there was no lag. The true test comes tonight, but so far, smooth as silk launch for me. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:50:40 PM »

From my WoW forum post:

"I arrived at my local EB at about 9:45 this morning, fifteen minutes before opening. There were a good twelve fellows standing outside, and we made 20-25 by five-to-ten.

It was pretty much a meeting of the nerds-- mostly skinny Asians and overweight Caucasians. ;P I was the fifth person to get a copy. The clerks didn't have to ask us what we wanted-- it was just a matter of choosing the box version.

An interesting and memorable experience, to be sure. slywink"
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:57:54 PM »

Well, I had a rough time of it.  First 3 stores I checked didn't have any copies, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, and Media Play.  Best Buy had about 15 copies in!  They are my hero for the day.

I'm annoyed that I uninstalled the Beta Client a few days ago ... sounds like that was a mistake, albeit a minor one.  Guess I'll spend an extra hour or so installing and downloading patches to pay for it. frown

At least I got a copy, they'll all be gone by tonight.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »

I went to Best Buy this morning, they had about 30,000 copies and nobody there buying them.

Shrug.

P.S.  Can anyone say loot lag?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 08:19:09 PM »

I headed to the mall during lunch (and now I remember why I hate malls), checked EB Games and Gamestop and neither had it yet, so I headed over to Best Buy as a last resort and they had a big ol' display case practically untouched, so I snagged one and was on my way relatively painlessly.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 08:29:42 PM »

P.S. Can anyone say loot lag?

That made its way from beta into retail eh?

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 08:39:15 PM »

And here I naively thought they would be able to fix that before retail frown
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 09:12:27 PM »

It's the database servers for the n00b zones bending and breaking.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 09:16:46 PM »

There was a brief spurt in loot lag at about 3pm.  All the kids getting home, I guess.  It's not bad now, but I hope you guys enjoy waiting in line to play.

My friend is #600 in line.  Glad I'm going out now. smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 11:17:02 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"

That made its way from beta into retail eh?

Short of the rare lag bubble in looting (twice in a bit over two hours), I had no problems looting at all.

I was in a semi-crowded NE starting zone, although the server itself was marked only as Low in population when I came in. I didn't look to see where it was when I left. I played from 12noon till about 2:15 MST.

Hit level 7 in that timespan. Had no problems finding mobs once I vacated the initial starting spot. Even before then it wasn't much of a problem.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 11:20:41 PM »

I logged in and ran around the human area of the EST RP server.

I got good FPS, and no lag.  And there was a ton of people around me.  The population was listed as high, but there was no queue to get on.

They need some more RP servers though...2 of 43 right now.

olaf
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 12:10:05 AM »

The kids will be out of school for the next 5 days for Thanksgiving...awful timing.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 12:32:01 AM »

awful timing for you, great for them.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 01:39:52 AM »

The WoW forums are buzzing with discontent right now.
I, like many others, have waited in queue for hours. Personally I'm at 2+ hours.
Plus I've heard that the lucky ones who actually get to play are experiencing a lag fest.

I played late this morning and all was good. Lag free server and instant log in, no lines. They HAD to know this was going to happen. Maybe the underestimated WoW's popularity like many retailers did.

I'm sure they will work all this out with time. They have said that as people exit the newbie areas they will be able to up the server cap. Makes sense I guess, but man is it frustrating right now.

They went from a beautiful, smooth launch to a wreck in no time flat.
The old addage "Never play an MMO on launch or patch day" still holds strong. I had high hopes Blizz could reverse that trend, but sadly that isn't the case.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 02:35:43 AM »

They went from a beautiful, smooth launch to a wreck in no time flat.
The old addage "Never play an MMO on launch or patch day" still holds strong. I had high hopes Blizz could reverse that trend, but sadly that isn't the case.

Wow.  No pun instended! (Yeah right!)

I had WoW in my hands at Target today when I tagged along with my wife for her shopping spree.  Instead I picked up Rome Total War.  After hearing that comment I am glad that I did so.  MMORPGs just aren't for me anymore if you have to wait a few hours to play.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 03:29:57 AM »

Yeah, I'm thinking that might have been a better idea to let some people keep their beta accounts.

Right now its like a marathon that just started.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 03:32:16 AM »

I was just on for over an hour and it was a great experience.  I was one the Lothar server (I believe).  I had absolutely no wait times or lag. Tongue
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 03:32:37 AM »

I was just on for over an hour and it was a great experience.  I was one the Lothar server (I believe).  I had absolutely no wait times or lag. Tongue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 03:36:16 AM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
The WoW forums are buzzing with discontent right now.
I, like many others, have waited in queue for hours. Personally I'm at 2+ hours.
Plus I've heard that the lucky ones who actually get to play are experiencing a lag fest.

From what I know, the queue is because there are either too many people on the servers, or there are too many people trying to get into that server at the same time.

When I was picking a server, one of the ones with a Low population had a 10 minute (270 people) cue. The very next one up in population let me in right in without delay.

Of course, this was at 12:00 noon MST today...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 04:21:09 AM »

I've got a 450-person queue on a server that only has medium load. (On which I already have characters.)  And it wasn't even the server I wanted-- I'm not sure if I mis-clicked, or if the game "tricked" me, somehow.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. Stick it out? Try starting again on a low-load eastern server? Blizzard suggests moving to a western server. But if geographically relevant realms mean anything, why would I want to be playing outside of my timezone, down the road?

I wouldn't say that I'm upset, at this point. But you would have thought they'd have a better handle on this situation, given experiences in the open beta.

Wait-- check that. I was attempting to enter the wrong server. ;P Still not a great situation, though.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 06:17:47 AM »

It was not a good idea for them to present them by time zone I think.  They are pleading with people to use the Pacific and Mountain realms right now.

olaf
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 01:13:34 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
It was not a good idea for them to present them by time zone I think.  They are pleading with people to use the Pacific and Mountain realms right now.

When I logged in last night, there were two more MST servers out there - maybe I'll give one of them a run, as I'm looking for a semi-quiet server.

Yeah right - like that'll exist. biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 01:19:30 PM »

I logged onto the Lothar server and made my character and leveled him to level 5 without issue.  No queue, no problems.   The population is listed as 'low' when I was playing as well....the division of the servers seems to be evening out.  Hopefully Tim will get a clue and join us. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 01:27:14 PM »

I think the key issue with the queuing is the fact that everybody is starting from scratch. As a result, instead of a wide range of people across the continent, they are all piled up in the newbie areas. And it would be NO fun at all if there were 1,000 people jammed in the newbie areas....so they are queuing up so that people can enter NOT only when people leave the server, but when they get out of the newbie area.

In a day or two people will be more spread out across the continent. It is really unavoidable unless the number of copies is limited.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 01:31:51 PM »

The first thing I did when I got into the newbie area was leave it.  smile  I know that all I had to do was complete one quest to get my warlock pet and I could take on level 4 critters, so I could leave the Undead newb town.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 02:35:04 PM »

I was on Whisperwind for something close to 9 hours yesterday (half of it spent fishing up to 150), and I experienced no loot lag (or any other lag for that matter) the whole time.  I was on some during the day, and then some last night.  No queue, no lag, no problems.  The only issue I had was one that I expected, overcrowded newbie area with a bunch of folks competing for the same mobs.  I think that added all of about 20 minutes to my game time.  Once I got out of the inital area, it was pretty clear.

Oh, and the queue doesn't really have anything to do with the server population...it's more about the zone population.  What was happening yesterday was a ton of people trying to log in to the starting areas.  If those folks had been in other zones (say, Desolace slywink), they would have had no queue.  They'd be dead, but there'd be no queue.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »

half of it spent fishing up to 150

Why?  What can you do with fishing that high?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 02:58:24 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Fish higher level stuff. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 03:13:18 PM »

Fish higher level stuff. Smile

lol smile.  I need to look at this tradeskill stuff...

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2004, 03:17:59 PM »

Gedd, that's not true at all about the zone populations being the queue factors.  I waited in a queue for over *3 hours* to get into a zone that was nearly empty.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 12:03:15 AM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Quote from: "Scott"

Fish higher level stuff. smile

Man, is it just me, or has fishing loot been improved/added? Fishing to 50, I found four pairs of boots! Three were level 12 normals, but one was a rare level 17! I mean, I understand the fishing/boot joke, but I never caught this much stuff in beta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: