http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW 3.3 released  (Read 1660 times)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

Icecrown Citadel: The Frozen Halls

Looming over the stark wastes of Northrend, Icecrown Citadel awaits those who would see the Lich King and his Scourge brought low and the threat they pose wiped from the face of Azeroth. The heroes who venture within will face some of the greatest horrors yet seen. But before you burst into the front gate of the citadel, an alternate means of entry beckons. Journey through three separate wings of the new five-player dungeon, Icecrown Citadel: The Frozen Halls, and follow Jaina Proudmoore or Sylvanas Windrunner into the Lich King's domain.

Icecrown Citadel: The Frozen Throne

All across Northrend, many battles have been fought against the vile Scourge. Countless lives have been lost since the Alliance and the Horde first reached these frozen wastes, but the champions of Azeroth continue to march forward -- and Icecrown Citadel, the cornerstone of the Scourge's power and the home base of the Lich King, is their final target. Tirion Fordring and the Argent Crusade have forged an accord with Darion Mograine and the Knights of the Ebon Blade to form the Ashen Verdict. This coalition's strongest combatants, along with the champions of the Alliance and the Horde, will lead the charge against the citadel. In the new Icecrown Citadel raid dungeon, Azeroth's mightiest will face terrifying challenges before ascending to the Frozen Throne, where the Lich King and his runeblade, Frostmourne, await to deliver the heroes to their deaths....

Cross-Realm Dungeon Finder

The Dungeon Finder is now available, providing players with quick and easy access to five-player parties. This feature connects all realms within a battlegroup using an advanced matchmaking system, making it easier for players of all levels to find a dungeon group. In addition, players can reap additional rewards through the Dungeon Finder by choosing the Random option, which is available to both pick-up and pre-formed groups. Check out the User Interface section for more details.

Getting Started and Quest Tracking

A number of changes have been made to World of Warcraft's introductory experience, including updated character and class information at the character-selection screen, more robust tooltips with images, improved health and mana regeneration at lower levels, and adjustments to various classes designed to make it easier for players to get started. In addition, all-new quest-tracking features have been added to assist players in finding objectives, including new interface functionality in the quest log, the map ("M" key), and the Objectives pane.

General

* Icecrown Citadel

o Three separate 5-player dungeons – The Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, and Halls of Reflection – containing all new challenges and missions of discovery, await players in normal and Heroic modes.
          o 10- and 25-player challenges await players in Icecrown Citadel. Only when all challenges have been overcome in the raid dungeon can players unlock hard modes for individual bosses. For more information on how the Icecrown Citadel raid content will be made available, please visit our Dungeons & Raids forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=11126&sid=1
    * Character Creation: The descriptions for races, classes, and race/class combinations have been improved to provide new players with a better idea of the roles and advantages of each class and race.
    * Dazed: Creatures attacking a player from behind can no longer cause players level 1-5 to be dazed, and have a reduced chance to cause players level 6-10 to be dazed.
    * Knockbacks no longer dismount players. If on a flying mount, you will be knocked back a short distance before being able to resume flying.
    * The existing /welcome emote now greets/welcomes targets (character says “hello”), while the new /yw is for saying "you're welcome."
    * Many of the tail sweeps with knockback effects will no longer hit players’ pets.
    * Level 1 characters no longer start with food or water in their inventory.
    * Attack is now called Auto Attack. The tooltip has been changed to reflect that the player will continue automatically attacking a target.
    * Meeting Stones: To use any Meeting Stone, it is only required that the character’s minimum level be 15. There is no maximum character level requirement for any Meeting Stone.

Classes: General

* Area-of-Effect Damage Caps: We’ve redesigned the way area damage is capped when hitting many targets. Instead of a hard cap on total damage done, the game now caps the total damage done at a value equal to the damage the spell would do if it hit 10 targets. In other words, if a spell does 1000 damage to each target, it would hit up to 10 targets for 1000 each, but with more than 10 targets, each target would take 1000 damage divided by the number of targets. 20 targets would be hit for 500 damage each in that example.
    * Attack: Level 1 druids, mages, priests, and warlocks will no longer start with the Attack button placed on their action bars by default.
    * Default Equipment: Starting weapons are now more uniform. Rogues now start with a pair of daggers equipped. All other classes except shamans start with a 2-handed weapon equipped and the required skill already known. Shamans start with a 1-handed weapon and a shield, as they benefit more from the shield than they would from a 2-handed weapon.
    * Glancing Blows: The mage, warlock, and priest classes no longer have an increased chance for their melee attacks to be glancing blows; and the damage penalty due to their glancing blows is the same as for other classes.
    * Health and Mana Regeneration: These regeneration rates have been increased by up to 200% for low level characters. As a player’s level increases, the regeneration rates gradually reduce, returning to normal rates at level 15.
    * Pet Resilience: All player pets now get 100% of their master’s resilience.
    * Spell Mana Costs: These costs have been reduced for almost all lower level spell ranks. In general, if a spell decreased in cost with a higher level rank in patch 3.2.0, that spell now has the decreased cost at all ranks. In addition, spells learned before level 20 with reduced cast times and/or durations have even further reduced mana costs, proportionate to their reduction in cast time or damage.
    * Taunt Diminishing Returns: We’ve revised the system for diminishing returns on Taunt so that creatures do not become immune to Taunt until after 5 Taunts have landed. The duration of the Taunt effect will be reduced by 35% instead of 50% for each taunt landed. In addition, most creatures in the world will not be affected by Taunt diminishing returns at all. Creatures will only have Taunt diminishing returns if they have been specifically flagged for that behavior based on the design of a given encounter.

Races: General

* Orc and troll shamans now have their own unique totem art.
    * Racial Attribute Bonuses: These bonuses have been recalibrated to even out the amount of starting health on the various races. All races start with a standardized level of stamina, except for orcs, dwarves, and tauren who now start with 1 extra point of stamina. For each class, bonuses and penalties to all attributes have been adjusted so that each race has an equal attribute total.
    * Will of the Forsaken now shares a 45-second cooldown with similar effects, including the Medallion of the Horde, Titan-Forged runes, Insignia of the Horde, etc.

PvP

* Arenas

o All abilities that have base cooldowns of 10 minutes or longer cannot be used in Arenas, down from 15 minutes.
    * Battlegrounds

o Battleground Experience: Battleground experience gained is now based on the level of the player gaining experience, rather than the highest possible player level in that Battleground.
          o All level 71-80 Battleground daily quests will now award 25 Arena points in addition to their current rewards.
    * Wintergrasp

o You must now have the following ranks to build or pilot siege vehicles:

+ Rank 2: Build/pilot Catapults.
                + Rank 3: Build/pilot Demolishers.
                + Rank 3: Build/pilot Siege Engines.

Dungeons & Raids

* Naxxramas

o Players no longer need to kill the final bosses in all four wings of this dungeon in order to teleport to Sapphiron. Teleportation orbs have been added to allow players access back and forth from Sapphiron's lair.
    * Oculus

o Azure Ring Guardians agro distance changed from 50 to 40 yards.
          o Many bosses and creatures have had their total health reduced.
          o Several bosses and creatures have had cooldowns on specific abilities increased, effect durations reduced, and damage on some of these abilities reduced.
          o Ring-Lord Conjurers and Sorceresses now hang out in packs of 4 instead of packs of 5.
          o Vehicle scaling on the drakes based on the rider’s item level has been increased to make them more powerful.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

Sorry, just too much to post all of it.  Full notes available at

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

http://www.wow.com

I'm really, really looking forward to the dungeon finder cross realm LFG feature.

EDIT: Estimated downtime until 3:15pm EST (at least until then...I would imagine it will be much later).  At least I have both computers updated already and have most of the addons at the 3.3 level so I'm close to ready.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:48:32 PM by ericb » Logged
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »

I haven't played in two months.  My last three-month sub runs out in a week.

And now they add a major patch.    crybaby finger

And I like this

ll level 71-80 Battleground daily quests will now award 25 Arena points in addition to their current rewards.

I like PvP (especially Wintergrasp.  Fun!) but hate that all the best rewards require arena points which are difficult to get for a soloer like myself.  Now...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on December 08, 2009, 03:53:14 PM

I haven't played in two months.  My last three-month sub runs out in a week.

And now they add a major patch.    crybaby finger

And I like this

ll level 71-80 Battleground daily quests will now award 25 Arena points in addition to their current rewards.

I like PvP (especially Wintergrasp.  Fun!) but hate that all the best rewards require arena points which are difficult to get for a soloer like myself.  Now...

Blizz sent me 7 free days which ends tonight. Not sure if I will resub yet for 3.3, but I may try out the dungeon finder.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

Crap I just realized that every PvP item still requires arena rating.    crybaby

I just want a better weapon on my DK than the Titansteel Destroyer I've been using for a year.   mad
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »

I've decided to form a new arena team even though I suck at it...badly.  Even losing all ten games every week will still net almost 300 arena points per week and those will really add up along with the new arena points from battlegrounds.

I need the gear anyway...I'm in a hardcore raiding guild but took a break and got left behind.  My 80 druid is still wearing a 70 purple chest at this point (though it's the equiv of around a 78 piece so it's not bad at all).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:32:52 PM by ericb » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »

I love watching the stuff I had to grind my way through get made as easy as a gumball machine.  They remove the reagents for Vanish and screw up a hundred other things after I left, and now this...

Stealth: This ability no longer has multiple ranks. While active, the single rank of this ability (available at level 1) allows rogues to move at 70% movement speed.

Damn kids!  Get off my lawn!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

the new X-server grouping should be cool. works with my schedule of late night play. too bad it doesn't work for 10mans though. not like they are hard, but I imagine the system just auto groups rather than letting you pick and choose. maybe in another patch we'll get them.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 08, 2009, 06:55:55 PM

I love watching the stuff I had to grind my way through get made as easy as a gumball machine.  They remove the reagents for Vanish and screw up a hundred other things after I left, and now this...

Stealth: This ability no longer has multiple ranks. While active, the single rank of this ability (available at level 1) allows rogues to move at 70% movement speed.

Damn kids!  Get off my lawn!

I'm going to go make a rogue right now just to spite you! Actually, Im playing a warlock at the moment and having a wonderful time with it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 08, 2009, 09:37:26 PM

I love watching the stuff I had to grind my way through get made as easy as a gumball machine.  They remove the reagents for Vanish and screw up a hundred other things after I left, and now this...

Damn kids!  Get off my lawn!

I'm going to go make a rogue right now just to spite you! Actually, Im playing a warlock at the moment and having a wonderful time with it.

Act now and for the first 15 levels you get 200% mana and health regen!*

*(Heirloom items that scale from 1 to 80 and make all old content a joke sold separately)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:48:08 PM by Jag » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »

Quote from: Jag on December 08, 2009, 09:46:12 PM

*(Heirloom items that scale from 1 to 80 and make all old content a joke sold separately)

Hey, where do I get one of those?

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »

I love watching the stuff I had to grind my way through get made as easy as a gumball machine.  They remove the reagents for Vanish and screw up a hundred other things after I left, and now this...

Damn kids!  Get off my lawn!

yeah, that's really annoying.  also, they're handing out dual wield as a starting skill.  i have a lvl 69 rogue and that doesn't make me want to run back to the game anytime soon.  of course, that's just me being incredibly petty.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 08, 2009, 10:41:33 PM

Quote from: Jag on December 08, 2009, 09:46:12 PM

Hey, where do I get one of those?

http://www.wow.com/2009/09/16/wow-rookie-heirlooms-ease-the-way-for-alts/#continued
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »

Huh, didn't even know those existed. No big, I hate doing instances anyway.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:13:54 AM »

Little laggy tonight, but I was getting raid/5man groups the instant i pressed the LFG button! Entire group was inside the instance and we pulled in less than 30 seconds from when I opened the browser. No more waiting for groups.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 05:17:56 AM »

lfg system is sweet
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »

the new 5 mans are awesome. very fast, very action filled, lots of good loot. the last one is hard on heroic though, we went in totally blind and almost wiped a few times.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

Had a rough time getting in after I got home from work. Servers went down and back up and was constantly getting kicked off server right after I entered password and authentication code. Rather frustrating. Of course there was no updates as to what was happening or why on the login screen, the support forums were down for maintence and their new, expanded-hours support line was busy. Pretty crappy customer service for a company pulling in so much cash imho.

A few mods that I use were broken so got those updated and gave it a go. First thing I did was do the daily heroic dungeon using the dungeon finder utility. Since I was a healer, it pretty much formed up straight away and we were off. Some people were still confused about the disenchant option now on the loot rolls, had people rolling greed for crappy blue cloth items (which vendor for hardly anything) instead of hitting the disenchant option.

After that I hooked up with 4 guildmates and we hit the non-heroic versions of the 1st two new instances. You can still use the dungeon finder tool to port your group directly to the instance but it bugged out a little and our tank did not get ported to the same place. Once we summoned him it was ok. We went in blind, so not sure what was going in for some of the fights, but since everyone but the healer were slightly overgeared we handled it fine.

1st instance was meh. The two boss fights were mildly interesting, but other than that, not really much to it. The 2nd was better I thought and definately had more of an epic feel to it. We tried to hit the 3rd one but we got ported in and then everyone was experiencing major instance lag so we called it for the night.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »

Love the new map setup, but I don't get why we can't resize the small one. Shift-M brings up a tiny zone map too.

Haavok
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »

Just checkmark the little box in the lower right corner, puts map back to full size
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

Quote from: Haavok on December 09, 2009, 10:50:02 PM

Just checkmark the little box in the lower right corner, puts map back to full size

Yes, I know. I'd like to be able to resize (reduce it a bit, actually) the window by dragging it.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 01:15:50 AM »

I really love this patch.  I've run more instances in the past two days than I did the last two months I played before taking most of the summer off.  Also went through the three new instances (on normal, still have one piece of gear that won't let me in Icecrown heroics) and the second was the best.  Third was interesting but it was more filler and story.  Couple instances a day could really net the badges too...I got 8 badges of frost today just from the random heroic reward and quest rewards.  I have seen (so far) that heroic instances pop much quicker than normal ones when using the LFG tool.  Of course now I have to leave town tomorrow morning and can't play for the next few days smile
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

I did the heroic versions of all three of the new icecrown instances with warrior tank, using the LFG tool. Luckily we did not have any scrubs and it went pretty smooth (I think all 3 DPS were 3-3.5k average). The 3rd instance, halls of reflection, was really tough. I had to work my ass off dealing with the adds. Sucks when you have an enemy hunter, priest, and mage appear and they are all spread out across room. Very hard to pick them up fast enough to keep people from dying. We wiped the first time but then buckled down and was able to get through it on the 2nd try. Then we died on the last wave in the ice wall section. We just were not expecting the huge wave at the end there. We did it again, with the healer using some LOS to keep things a little more compact, and got it done. Definately a fun set of instances (not so much the 1st one though).

As seems the norm, paladin tanks really shine in all the instances while warrior tanks are left to deal with sub-par AE aggro as the have since the beginning of WoW.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »

Quote from: Toe on December 10, 2009, 01:14:59 PM

As seems the norm, paladin tanks really shine in all the instances while warrior tanks are left to deal with sub-par AE aggro as the have since the beginning of WoW.

That's funny, because back before the pallys were rebuilt (I'm talking vanilla WoW) they were able to off-tank and that's it. I haven't played one in ages, but that's how it used to be. They had virtually nothing in the way of aggro generating tools to deal with multiples.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 10, 2009, 02:55:40 PM

Quote from: Toe on December 10, 2009, 01:14:59 PM

That's funny, because back before the pallys were rebuilt (I'm talking vanilla WoW) they were able to off-tank and that's it. I haven't played one in ages, but that's how it used to be. They had virtually nothing in the way of aggro generating tools to deal with multiples.

Pally Tank + undead = godly.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »

i'll take a pally tank to heal any day of the week over the rest. my least favorite is healing a dk. druid is the 2nd easiest to heal. but pallies ability to hold a billion mobs is great. i did a toc last night before the dungeon timer was up with a pally tank, probably the fastest i ever ran that place.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »

dang it...I've drunk the WOW koolaide again.

I don't guess there's much reason to upgrade since my highest level guy is 42 and I'm probably just gonna start over anyway.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: