http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Warcraft Impressions  (Read 2541 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 02:24:40 PM »

T-minus 1 hour and I will have the game in my hands.  I know 99% of us have already played the game (including me), but today everyone starts fresh.

It is going to be a great ride for many years and I can't wait to see what Blizzard has up it's sleeves for us gamers....  world events, live adventures, and the on-going warcraft story.
Toe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »

While I am excited as well, I am a bit worried about Blizzard's nerficity.

With those last few rounds of patches they took a class that was fun and on par with most of the other classes and nerfed them into the ground (I speak of warriors) and never looked back as far as I can tell (Well, they did make a few minor changes to defensive warrior and holding agro.). Some was done for PvP balance, like effectiveness of Hamstring, which, while needed for PvP balance, screws them in PvE.

I do not like that trend of nerfing for PvP balance that also nerfs PvE balanced uneccessarily. Its a bit sloppy imho.

At the end of beta I was watching shaman, hunters, and paladins performing in PvE the way I use to before the warrior nerfs. (on a side note, it also pissed me off that these nerfs were called "awesome changes for warriors" by Blizzard). I wonder if their "time" is coming, or if warriors will be brought back up to par, or Blizzard really don't give a damn.

Any which way it causes me some concern. My answer for now is simple. I am not playing a warrior in retail. smile

But the trend does have me worried, I will admit.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »

I never had a shot at the beta, so I got in fresh on Tuesday.  So far Im impressed.  I havent experienced lag issues (not even the infamous loot lag) except in towns.  Ive had no problem logging in and Im on Whisperwind one of the busiest realms.  Theres been a few "server down" instances, but its usually for an hour or so and Blizzard has been very prompt about getting the server back up by the estimated time.  Considering the massive amount of accounts (over 200,000 after 2 days) theyve done a fine job.  The game itself has been a blast.  Easy to play, lots of variety in characters.  The early quests are easily done solo but as you advance, grouping really helps.  Death carries no major penalties, you just appear in a graveyard as a ghost and have to recover your body to interact with the world again.  You can choose to reanimate at the grave yard, but you take a 25% hit on your equipment.  Its repairable but can cost a lot of coin.  Many classes working in tandem compliment each other nicely.  Overall its been fun with minimal problems.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:31:02 AM »

Well, i have a level 15 night elf rogue on Bronzebeard and am enjoying myself. I am doing a lot of crafting (108 leatherworking heh). No lag or waiting on this server.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:58:35 AM »

Within 48 hours of buying it (due to frustrations with moronic pickup groupmates in EQ2), I had an 18 hunter and am having an absolute blast. It's by far the most "fun" MMORPG game I've played; I knew the the gloss would wear off CoH quickly, but I'm not getting that sense here. It's far deeper than I was expecting from my couple of days' worth of beta experience.

Haven't had any server issues at all; not even downtime, though it's only been a short while. The only bug I've experienced (with stables) turned out to be due to some old configuration data from beta still hanging around my system, and a quick trip to the WOW forums cleared that right up like a good topical cream.

In EQ2, quests felt like work. I'd do delivery quests to scrounge up some money, and not enjoy them. In WOW, every part of the game is enjoyable in its own right, from thinning the mob population to skinning my kills and practicing leatherwork.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

My impressions are nothing bug positive.  I love the Capitol cities... especially Ironforge and Stormwind.  There is so much detail, it's sick.

Falator - if you're reading, I have a question for you.  My NE Hunter just turned 12th, and her leatherworking is up to about 55 or so.  Do you find that as you level up your leatherworking, you are making things that you can actually wear, or does stuff you find/buy outdue what you can make?

Just curious.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Falator - if you're reading, I have a question for you.  My NE Hunter just turned 12th, and her leatherworking is up to about 55 or so.  Do you find that as you level up your leatherworking, you are making things that you can actually wear, or does stuff you find/buy outdue what you can make?

In my relatively quiet server (Tenris or something on Mountain), I personally wear just about everything I craft as a Leatherworker (skill of 105 right now and I'm a level 18 Hunter). I've found a few +AGI pieces of clothing as well that I've crafted, which really helps the damage.

And as I've posted before (and on my Daily Wrap), WoW is like crack. If it wasn't for my job, I'd be playing far, far more.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 05:47:03 PM »

Most fun I've ever had in a game, with no let up in sight.  Just amazing.  I didn't even enjoy BETA, this is just insane.  More details to follow.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 01:55:17 PM »

Thanks Tim.  That's good to hear.  I would say that right now, at 13th level, about 50% of what I am wearing is made and reinforced by me, which is great.

-  -  -  -

Onto another thing I love about the game...  Auction Houses!

Before I go to bed each night for the last 3 nights, I visit an Auction House.  I browse around for a sword or a bow or a piece of armor I would like that I can afford.  I then put in what I consider to be a healthy bid, and then log off and call it a night.  When I get online the following day, I rush to my mailbox to see if I won the bid or not!   Talk about exciting!!

Then, if I won the bid, I strut around like a little girl with a new dress and show it off to everyone around!   (God, am I a nerd!)     :?

Love this Game !!!!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 04:38:35 PM »

Auction houses are awesome.  Not only can you get cool loot, you can make lots of cash off of the cool loot you can't use.  Sold a pretty cool axe for a tidy sum (around 10 silver, quite a bit when the quest rewards are only 4 silver) and since I couldn't use it anyway ...

Of course, you also learn which items are worthless at the auction.  I guess I won't try to sell any more Red Linen Robes if I happen upon them.  Not to mention, you learn which sorts of reagents are in demand, what isn't, and so on ... it's just all fun.  Every couple of levels I head back to Ogrimmar just for auctions and such.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 04:52:35 PM »

As I get better in Alchemy, I think I'll start making a nice profit selling some good potions. slywink

Ok, so I gotta say that I have not been this hooked on a game since Warcraft 3.  I got the game on Friday morning and I literally played for three days straight.  I haven't done that in years.

I have a level 20 Undead Rogue and I'm just loving it.  Rogue is the class for me.  Melee with good damage.  And with Herbalism and Alchemy, I can make potion buffs that are cool too.  What an amazing game.  I just want to play all the time!!!  biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I just want to play all the time!!!  biggrin

Yes, so do I...

Damned job. I wanna go home...

"Hi, my name is Tim, and I'm utterly and totally addicted to World of Warcraft." biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 06:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "leo8877"
I just want to play all the time!!!  biggrin

Yes, so do I...

Damned job. I wanna go home...

"Hi, my name is Tim, and I'm utterly and totally addicted to World of Warcraft." biggrin

Me too!  Haven't had a game get it's hooks into me this bad in a long time, not since Rome: Total War came out!  slywink
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:46:12 PM »

This game is truely crack.  I can't get enough of it.  I want to play all the time.  I have to remind myself that family and work is more important.  

Did everyone see the review by gamespot?  Check it out.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/review.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: