http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Tanks...free ww2 tank mmo  (Read 17133 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on May 03, 2011, 04:30:41 AM

Quote from: ydejin on May 03, 2011, 03:12:54 AM

The main thing to keep in mind when you're a fast, light tank playing with the heavies is your job is to scout, not to kill.  You'll receive half the XP and half the credit that anyone gets when they fire on a target that they can't hit without your spotting.  This is most obviously important for artillery who shouldn't be able to get line-of-sight on any of the enemies (if they can, they've either screwed up their placement or your team's defense has collapsed).  However, heavies, mediums who play as snipers, and tank destroyers all can often hit targets far beyond visual range if you can highlight the targets for them.

The After Action Report makes it seem like scouting is all about getting the first spot on the vehicle, but it's not.  Pay attention to where your heavy hitters are and where they have fields of fire.  Try to find target for them that they can hit, but which might be outside of their visual range.  For artillery, it helps to tell them where you are going and where targets might blip up on their display, since moving the area the artillery is targetting can be time consuming.

Don't rush off at the start of the game.  You generally don't want to spot targets until your team can take advantage of them (although arguably determining the enemy heavies' line of advance can be useful, even if people won't be able to shoot at them individually).

I also like looking over the enemy tank composition before the match starts.  See how many enemy lights and fast mediums there are.  These are likely to be coming for your artillery.  So it sometimes pays to hold back a bit and take these on as they come in.  Friendly light tanks are amongst the best anti-light tank hunters available to protect friendly artillery units. 

I scout but for some reason the PzIII is insanely easy to track. I usually sit back for a minute or so depending on where everyone is going and try to head off any fast movers going towards our arties but with the derp gun, if I miss the shot, it takes forever to reload and shooting accurately while moving is a no go. Or I go towards the enemy's positions and try to scout for our heavies but once I'm tracked, I'm sitting duck, plus once I run into an enemy heavy, 1 shot usually finishes me off.

The next patch should help (should be out very soon).  It will greatly reduce the hit zone for tracking tanks.  I'm actually looking forward to  it for the opposite reason, I seem to track more than I want, when I really want to do damage to the enemy.  Although with new 8,8cm L/56 seems to both track and do damage -- I don't think that's happened with any of the lighter guns I've used.

This is tougher, but you can try to take advantage of the dips in the terrain to only have your turret visible.  This works on both on the sand dunes like Sand River, and rolling terrain like Prokhorovka.  Also some of the maps like Komarin have raised roadways, which should be high enough to protect your tracks, even though your upper-hull and turret will still be exposed.

Scouting is definitely very hard, but can be extremely useful to your team.  Plus if you die, you can always bail and run a match with another tank!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »

playing this most of today, gonna be grinding BT-7 to get A-20 and beyond.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »

Had a great match with my lil SPG.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »

7 hits and 11 damaged or destroyed.  they must have really loved to clump up! wish I had seen it
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

Actually I just had really really good scouts.  There was always someone lit up for me to hit.  If that SPG held more than 15 shots or was able to penetrate anything over Tier2 I would have set the kills record.  icon_cool
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 06, 2011, 07:34:25 PM

Actually I just had really really good scouts.  There was always someone lit up for me to hit.  If that SPG held more than 15 shots or was able to penetrate anything over Tier2 I would have set the kills record.  icon_cool

they would still have to be clumped up to hit more people than shells used is my point slywink  you fired 19, hit with 7, yet damaged 11 guys.  7 hits, 11 targets damaged, means they were clumped in AOE of each other for the blast to hit them.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »

Ah, I gotcha. I didn't realize there was that much splash damage from them, but I think it was more like the 5 I hit and didn't kill were non direct hits.  Actually some of the kills might not have counted as hits either.  Just need the killing shot to get the credit.   Honestly once i get someone zeroed in and click the button they always start rolling away.  My gunner only has like a 65% skill lvl so hes too slow to dial em in.
It was a scenario that hasn't been repeated since.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:11:05 PM by TheEgoWhip » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »

For the record there's a special going on for the next couple? 5x exp, first win of the day, per tank. Imagine my shock in my jagdpanther, with only ten shots fired, eight hits, and a measly four kills... 3450ish exp granted.

The stats should show us more, like 'average kills per battle', 'average number of critical hits taken' etc. But I guess then the jagdpanthers (and others) nerfs would show too much. Can you imagine the poor Tiger I drivers?

Atomic
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:16 AM »

The special is going on for VE day, 8-10 May I believe. The news also said some half-priced items in the store, though I didn't see what they were. The 5x xp for first win is a good thing, maybe I can get out of the Hetzer sooner.

Finally got my PzIV with the long sniping gun and that's gonna be my mainstay tank for a while. Working to get the JgPzIV right now, then either the Hummel (from the PzIV line), American M7 or the USSR's T34 tank.

Still debating if I wanna get 1 month of premium account just to get all these tanks and maybe an extra slot in the garage.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:02 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on May 09, 2011, 02:05:16 AM

The special is going on for VE day, 8-10 May I believe. The news also said some half-priced items in the store, though I didn't see what they were. The 5x xp for first win is a good thing, maybe I can get out of the Hetzer sooner.

AFAIK all tank bonus components like camo nets, gun rammers, repair toolboxes, binoculars, and ventilation system type stuff is half-off.  Sale will end at whenever the server goes down tonight -- I think it's 1am Eastern time.  If you've got cash sitting around but don't think you'll be keeping your tank, I believe the removable stuff are the cam net, binoculars, and the repair toolbox.  Just make sure to remove these items before selling your tank.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »

Doh, wish I knew about the %50 sale quicker. I only had time to get some camo netting for my SPG.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 10, 2011, 11:33:38 PM

Doh, wish I knew about the %50 sale quicker. I only had time to get some camo netting for my SPG.

I wasn't paying attention either and spent 500,000 on an enhanced gun laying system just hours before it went on sale  icon_confused
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

hey, if you're going to have an update you might as well make a trailer for it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ql_aiRgPs

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »

I just got back into this over the weekend. Looks like grouping isn't much of an option without a Premium account. I'm going to keep playing and see if it holds my interest before dropping the real cash on the fake gold to upgrade my account.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »

I'm loving the 6.4 patch... my jagdpanther is like a whole new machine.

easily getting multiple kills in most matches now, as the machine is now sturdy enough to reliably take hits without exploding in my face, the gunner dieing, falling on the driver who apparently gooses the gas pedal, causing the commander to fall and hit his head while landing on the radio man, etc etc etc.

So far so good. There's a little latency floating around on the servers that wasn't there before, but it seems to have mostly passed.

Before the patch, I was planning to sell off the jagdpanther again once I passed on to the ferd, but now I think I'll be keeping it. we'll see if that changes.

Atomic
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »

So, would any of you demigods in this game mind giving me a small quick low'n dirty on how to play this game?

I use the russian T1 I think its called, and my games go like this

Everyone rolls out in different directions, I try to follow the majority, although I'm so slow I suddenly don't know where everyone

I see a red thingie which is the enemy! yay! I slowly go towards the enemy (Especially if its uphill...veeery slowly), take a potshot and WHAM, I'm dead.

the game ends, we lose, I get a little xp.

So, I figured out I could upgrade what I think is the engine and the tracks,and hopes this gives me more speed....but eh.... really? One hit, and i'm dead?

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »

The early tanks are not designed for stand up fights.  Don't think of this like a FPS.  If you get caught out by an enemy in a better tank or multiple tanks of any level, the rest of your life will be short and hot.

Hide in the bushes, hide behind buildings, hide behind other tanks.

When you finish the upgrade path and get some otf the better Tier II tanks, you can stand and fight a little better.

I'm currently getting into the Tier III, and I'm getting my ass handed to me all over again, as I unlearned all those lessons with my tough Tier II mediums, and the re-learning is painful.  I've started getting matched up into Tier III/IV levels, so I'm no longer in a survivable vehicle.  My BT-7 light doesn't last too long when I turn a corner to find a T-1 Heavy staring me in the face. 

And get rid of that Russian starter tank as soon as you get the research complete on it.  It should be the MS-1, and it was, to me, the most worthless of the three starters.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:13:16 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 23, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »

The MS-1 is the best of the three starters in every way imo.  I still enjoy piloting it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll try, and pray all the while I don't meet Hark along the way!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 23, 2011, 08:36:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try, and pray all the while I don't meet Hark along the way!

are you not playing on the EU server?  I'll only run into you if you're on the US server
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »

I had nothiing but failure with the MS-1.  I much preferred and had much more success with the T-1 Cunningham and Leichtetraktor.  That being said, I loved spotting any of these once I was up a couple models.  Pretty much easy fodder for the bigger boys, asuming there aren't three of them all focused on you.

Light tanks are to scout and make strikes before they notice you.  If you're looking at the front of an enemy tank when you're in a light tank, you're in the wrong place. 

Oh, and even more frustrating than playing with the MS-1 is playing as an SU-18. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:10:32 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »

There have been streaks in this game where I can't catch a break and keep losing match after match and just makes me wonder why I still play. Then there are matches where I just completely blew away the competition, like a couple of nights ago in Abbey. I was in my M5, lowest tank on the team, going against lowes, tigers, etc. Ran up the middle road all the way to their base unopposed, killed 2 arties and spotted the 3rd for my team's arties to take him out and single handedly capped the flag. That was a good game.

Tonight though, I'm on a losing streak, so far, no single victories yet.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on May 24, 2011, 12:48:34 PM

There have been streaks in this game where I can't catch a break and keep losing match after match and just makes me wonder why I still play. Then there are matches where I just completely blew away the competition, like a couple of nights ago in Abbey. I was in my M5, lowest tank on the team, going against lowes, tigers, etc. Ran up the middle road all the way to their base unopposed, killed 2 arties and spotted the 3rd for my team's arties to take him out and single handedly capped the flag. That was a good game.

Tonight though, I'm on a losing streak, so far, no single victories yet.

That's my experience too.  One night I had an 8-game winning streak and thought I was the most amazing tanker evar!.  The next night I went 1-14.

In beta, when I played as a Leopard I started off by winning a whole bunch of games and thought I was a great light tank driver, then I lost a whole bunch and ended up with a losing Leopard record.  Now I'm reluctant to play light tanks, because I'm afraid I suck and I don't want to handicap my team.  I'm I really that bad?  Not sure, it could all be random fluctuations.

On the other end, all my TDs have great win loss records: Marder 35W-30L, Hetzer 19W-9L, StuG 46W-30L, JgPzr 41W-26L, and Lee (which isn't a TD, but probably should be played as one) 47W-37L.  Is that random chance or am I a good TD player?  I haven't decided.  At around 200 matches my Sherman M4 had a 54% win/45% loss record, I was really happy with that and thought I was doing great.  Now with 420 matches, my Sherman actually only a 50% win 48% loss record -- so my second 220 matches went a lot worse than my first 200 in spite of the fact that my crew is now elite and has almost maxed out their first secondary skill.

I think there's just a lot of variation with how games go.  Which makes sense given that we're stuck with 29 random players.

Sometimes you get placed with good teammates and you happen to be in the right place at the right time and get to completely clobber the enemy.  Other times, your team just gets completely rolled through no fault of your own.  I presume our driving and shooting ability has some impact, as does our choice of tank placement, and when to advance and when to hold.  But there's an awful lot of randomness.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

Just started playing this and having a blast so far.  Just got my Top Gun medal for 6 kills in one battle.  Going to have to find a clan if I keep playing.  Tactical Gamers has one I think.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on June 20, 2011, 02:34:04 PM

Just started playing this and having a blast so far.  Just got my Top Gun medal for 6 kills in one battle.  Going to have to find a clan if I keep playing.  Tactical Gamers has one I think.

Congrats on the Top Gun.  Those are definitely hard to get.

Have you decided which tanks lines you want to go up?
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »

I'm playing Soviet tanks for sentimental reasons (my daughter was born in Russia).  Went up the SPG line to the SU-26 and then switched to the KV line although I'm only to the T-28 so far.  Will branch back into the SPGs after picking up the KV and also continue on to the IS heavies.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on June 20, 2011, 08:59:04 PM

I'm playing Soviet tanks for sentimental reasons (my daughter was born in Russia).  Went up the SPG line to the SU-26 and then switched to the KV line although I'm only to the T-28 so far.  Will branch back into the SPGs after picking up the KV and also continue on to the IS heavies.

Russian Heavies are an excellent choice.  It avoids some of the more painful tanks the A-20 (needed to get to Russian mediums), the M3 Lee (needed to get to American mediums and heavies), the Pzkw III (needed to get to German mediums and heavies).  Plus the Russian Heavies get some of the best guns in the game early on, so you should be able to hit hard even when you aren't the top-tier tank in a match.  The only downside for Russian Heavies are that the KV and KV-3 are quite slow -- although I here the IS and their successors are quite quick for heavies (I've only got to the KV-3).
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »

Just downloaded it.  This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  Definitely one of the top F2P games I have tried.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:36 AM »

Trust me, it only stays free until you get a taste of premium biggrin

Ow ow ow ow ow... *#%^*%!!!! my as^h^hwallet hurts

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2011, 04:08:26 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on June 21, 2011, 12:24:25 PM

Russian Heavies are an excellent choice.  It avoids some of the more painful tanks the A-20 (needed to get to Russian mediums), the M3 Lee (needed to get to American mediums and heavies), the Pzkw III (needed to get to German mediums and heavies).  Plus the Russian Heavies get some of the best guns in the game early on, so you should be able to hit hard even when you aren't the top-tier tank in a match.  The only downside for Russian Heavies are that the KV and KV-3 are quite slow -- although I here the IS and their successors are quite quick for heavies (I've only got to the KV-3).

(strictly talking about heavy tanks here)

The T29 is probably the best tier 7 atm. Tier 8 goes to the King Tiger by a hair, Tier 9 is generally regarded as the IS4's territory, although 'stupid vk tricks' make the 4502 an interesting ride. And we loves the gun. Tier 10 is the IS7's realm, due to the combo of speed and firepower. The Maus is one tough bugger, but it can't move worth a crap. It's situational, for places where you can wedge it in and hold an area, shielded from most artillery, etc.

Personally, I'm liking the german heavy line. They're not as good infighters as the russian tanks generally are, but they have a good combination of accuracy and penetration on the guns. If you can't hit, or can't penetrate, or both... you can't do damage no matter how big the gun is. (with the obvious exception of spamming HE rounds)

Atomic
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »

It sucked up a bunch of my weekend and cost my 10$ for a premium account.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:53 PM »

Anyone else still playing Tanks? After a break for a couple months I started it up again a few weeks ago and I have been really enjoying it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »

Zombie update so exciting... until realized the date (April 1)  icon_razz

Zombies Will Swarm the Battlefield
http://worldoftanks.com/news/2175-zombies-will-swarm-battle/
World of Tanks will feature the Zombie Escort survival mode, where players will have to navigate from point A to point B, while fighting their way through swarms of zombies. The new mode is aimed at a more hardcore audience, as it requires extra skills from our tank commanders. Among other abilities, the undead enemy will be able to infect the tank crew, damage external modules, and block the main gun.

In World of Warplanes, zombies will appear as natural gameplay elements, including undead tail gunners. If a tail gunner gets hit, they instantly turn into a zombie, causing twice as much damage as the default gunner mode. Moreover, the AI remembers the player that killed the tail gunner, forcing the latter to deliberately target that warplane until it’s destroyed.

Another major update for World of Warplanes are the dendro-zombies, a new threat for pilots who prefer shaking off enemies in the woodlands. The closer a warplane flies to a wooded area, the more likely it is to have a zombie stuck to one of the wings, immediately affecting its top speed and maneuverability.

“If a zombie is hanging on one of the wings, the best thing to do is to reverse course and fly over the trees again. Hopefully a zombie will get stuck to the other wing and you’ll regain balance,” said Anton Sitnikau, producer on World of Warplanes.

“We are looking forward to the introduction of zombies in World of Tanks and World of Warplanes”, said Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi. “After so much background work, I can proudly say that the undead will be one of the coolest features in our games.”
Hilarious... and deadpan.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:06 AM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on January 17, 2012, 10:19:53 PM

Anyone else still playing Tanks? After a break for a couple months I started it up again a few weeks ago and I have been really enjoying it.

13k games and climbing. Had a slow spell for a month or so, but playing more (again), looking forward to the 8.5 update. Path of Exile is currently occupying quite a bit of my free time. I _love_ the passive skill tree implementation.

Atomic
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

I'm still plugging away.  I take occasional breaks when other new games come out, but I always seem to return to WoT.  I like the quick battles and the strategy involved in the higher tiered battles.  That and I have started playing in some Clan Wars.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:03 AM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193520/Wargaming_kicks_paytowin_monetization_to_the_curb.php

Interesting apporach to the Pay-to-win mmo approach.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2013, 05:44:13 PM »

https://wt360e.com/join_obt/new/

Xbox 360 Beta Sign Up

Its US and Canada only at the moment  icon_frown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

I briefly played it on the PC, but I'm thinking it's a game I'd enjoy more on a console. I applied for the 360 beta - hope I get in.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 03, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2013, 05:44:13 PM

Xbox 360 Beta Sign Up

ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 03, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2013, 05:44:13 PM

Xbox 360 Beta Sign Up

ninja

have you posted this someplace else?,thats your usual sign that you beat me to the punch icon_mad

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: