http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Tanks...free ww2 tank mmo  (Read 18137 times)
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »

Still eagerly awaiting this. Didn't sign for the beta... perhaps I should have, but oh well.

It sounds like the wisdom of eve online... 'don't fly what you cannot afford', also applies here.

I really miss Tanarus in some ways. Hopefully this will be even better? (sounds like its waaaaaay past the marker line, in terms of gameplay)...

Atomic
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »

I don't think you should confuse this game with EVE although the thread title is misleading.  Seems more like it's focused on FPS style team vs team instanced matches rather than a persistent overworld.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 21, 2010, 05:17:26 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 21, 2010, 04:21:59 PM

Try here, skystride.

Thanks!

Still keys available here as of this post so if you don't have one yet it's a good spot to try biggrin

The gamershell mirror has a torrent option for the client that's letting me pull down at about 550kbs if that happens to float your boat.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »

I'm envisioning the gameplay more like multiplayer battletech 3025 than eve online. It looks like there's an overall world where the drops take place... dunno if there are control points or a way to 'win' ?

Atomic
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 12:56:51 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on July 25, 2010, 08:25:45 PM

I'm envisioning the gameplay more like multiplayer battletech 3025 than eve online. It looks like there's an overall world where the drops take place... dunno if there are control points or a way to 'win' ?

Atomic

Think of it more like Battlefield 1942 with just armor units. Out of battle you have tech tress to research to upgrade your tanks and gradually move up to bigger and better tanks. In battle it's a 15 vs 15 base capture.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 02:54:18 AM »

The high ping is driving me nuts but other than that it's a lot of fun.  Could use some more maps but I am sure they are in the works.

morlac00 on PSN
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 03:49:22 PM »

Do you guys just exit the battle when your tank is down?  Do you lose out on xp when you do this?  Seems like the game can get really slow and boring when there's just a few camping tanks left.  What happens when the only 2 units left are just artillery?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 26, 2010, 03:49:22 PM

Do you guys just exit the battle when your tank is down?  Do you lose out on xp when you do this?  Seems like the game can get really slow and boring when there's just a few camping tanks left.  What happens when the only 2 units left are just artillery?

I've only seen a match end once with both sides camping. Usually one side or the other, or both, try to cap the other flag. It all depends on when the last non-arty tank was destroyed. If its near my side's base then you know the enemy arty is close by and will probably try to cap. If it was near their base then the enemy arty is guarding the flag. If in the middle then one or the other arty tank will make a run for the opposite flag.

I've seen some matches where only 2 tanks are left on each side and it ends with one side capping the flag because the other side decided to stay and camp and they were caught out of position.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »

You don't lose any experience or credits for leaving a battle after you're killed. So, hop on out, jump in one of your other tanks and jump right into a new match. Whenever the match with your destroyed tank ends it will be released to your garage along with your paycheck for that battle.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on July 26, 2010, 06:57:02 PM

You don't lose any experience or credits for leaving a battle after you're killed. So, hop on out, jump in one of your other tanks and jump right into a new match. Whenever the match with your destroyed tank ends it will be released to your garage along with your paycheck for that battle.

That's good to know, thanks. 

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »

I was told multiple times that if you leave a battle if you die then you only get half the exp.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:03 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on July 26, 2010, 12:56:51 AM

Atomic

Think of it more like Battlefield 1942 with just armor units. Out of battle you have tech tress to research to upgrade your tanks and gradually move up to bigger and better tanks. In battle it's a 15 vs 15 base capture.

that actually sounds pretty cool.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 26, 2010, 11:59:15 PM

I was told multiple times that if you leave a battle if you die then you only get half the exp.

If you die there's definitely an xp penalty -- I think it's actually 50% bonus if you live, not half if you die so if I'm doing the math right it's actually 33% penalty for dying.  Exiting to the garage after you die AFAIK has no impact.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 12:11:03 AM

Atomic

IMO it's an amazing amount of fun.  It's just a great game.  Quite fast, but just slow enough so that you have time to think tactically, so it's not just reflexes.  In fact, I'd say it's far more thinking about what to do and where to go, how to place your tank, when to pull back, and when and what to shoot than it is ability to hit keys quickly.

Light tanks do take some reflexes if you're zipping through a town and an enemy tank suddenly appears in front of you.  But mostly I'd say playing smart makes much more of a difference than good reflexes.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:28 AM »

Good to know on the xiting thing. I have 1 medium tank, 1 heavy tank, 1 light arty, 1 medium arty, 1 TD.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:11 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on July 27, 2010, 12:33:47 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 12:11:03 AM

Atomic

IMO it's an amazing amount of fun.  It's just a great game.  Quite fast, but just slow enough so that you have time to think tactically, so it's not just reflexes.  In fact, I'd say it's far more thinking about what to do and where to go, how to place your tank, when to pull back, and when and what to shoot than it is ability to hit keys quickly.

Light tanks do take some reflexes if you're zipping through a town and an enemy tank suddenly appears in front of you.  But mostly I'd say playing smart makes much more of a difference than good reflexes.

I got the demo key,m just got to get around to downloading the thing  icon_lol

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »

See you online CeeKay.  Harkonis setup a chat channel.  Bottom left of the "Garage" window there's a channels button.  Search for "Qt3" (case-sensitive).   There is a different "qt3" channel (lower-case) not sure what it is.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »

Theres a guy on chat right now paying $40  through PayPal for accounts with IS tanks researched..lols.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 06:05:42 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on July 27, 2010, 04:10:11 AM

See you online CeeKay.  Harkonis setup a chat channel.  Bottom left of the "Garage" window there's a channels button.  Search for "Qt3" (case-sensitive).   There is a different "qt3" channel (lower-case) not sure what it is.

downloading now!  thumbsup

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »

The game has twice reset my video card and attempting to play it at a higher resolution led to me having to hit the reset button.  My machine is not up to the task of playing this game.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:55 PM »

medium tanks.

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

http://www.curse.com/keys/world-of-tanks/default.aspx

Atomic
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »

Oh nooooooooooooo...I wentto eat so much game timed out and logged me out. When I tried to log in it just stuck there trying to log me back in. So I alt-F4'd it and since then when I try to log in it says a character with that name is already logged in. been that way an hour. Will I ever get to play again?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on August 01, 2010, 07:27:37 AM

w00t! more keys!

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »

Gotta read the beta forums more. Alls good now.

Atomic
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 01, 2010, 11:19:35 AM

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on August 01, 2010, 07:27:37 AM

w00t! more keys!

Don't feel like you need to wait for keys to get released.  I just applied the old fashioned way and they promptly sent me a key within a week.

That being said I might need to take a break as I don't want to get too burned out on it pre launch and the current maps are getting stale. Still a definite day one purchase for me. 

morlac00 on PSN
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 01, 2010, 11:18:57 AM

Oh nooooooooooooo...I wentto eat so much game timed out and logged me out. When I tried to log in it just stuck there trying to log me back in. So I alt-F4'd it and since then when I try to log in it says a character with that name is already logged in. been that way an hour. Will I ever get to play again?
Try again Daehawk.  They brought it down last night/this morning for emergency maintenance.  For about two hours you couldn't login at all (just no connection), then for an hour+ you got the message that you received about already being logged in.  I can now get on, so I assume you'll be able to as well.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 02:25:21 AM »

morlac....don't worry..it's free. Always will be.

ydejin.....I got on today. Glad they did that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »

Quote from: morlac on August 01, 2010, 09:13:25 PM

Don't feel like you need to wait for keys to get released.  I just applied the old fashioned way and they promptly sent me a key within a week

I already got one but knew others who wanted one.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »

HEREs a link to the full American tech tree.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »

ok, so I downloaded this, but I can't find the file.  I must have deleted it doing some cleaning earlier icon_redface

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2010, 06:39:02 AM

HEREs a link to the full American tech tree.

I wish they had American Tank Destroyers in the Release Tree.   I'd be up for trying out the Americans (especially given how much German and Russian I've already played since Beta started), but I really don't want to drive around a Sherman.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2010, 02:25:21 AM

morlac....don't worry..it's free. Always will be.

ydejin.....I got on today. Glad they did that.

Hmm did not know the full client would be free as well, just figured the sub was.  Not sure why  I thought that but I did. I have been getting free gold periodically during the beta.   I would guess that is for testing purposes and not how the live game will work?  Cashing it in is pretty much the only way  I can afford to buy new tanks.

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »

premium account is the best way to use gold.  that or converting to free xp.  cashing it in is only a good idea if you aren't going to play very many games in a 24 hour period.  The gold it takes to get a 24 hour premium can get you 5x as much as cashing it in.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »

Guess I should've been collecting the freebie gold and buying the 24 hour premium instead of training my crew for 75% skills.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on August 03, 2010, 09:24:28 AM

Guess I should've been collecting the freebie gold and buying the 24 hour premium instead of training my crew for 75% skills.

Crew skills makes a huge difference.  I don't know if it's worth the gold, but I've concluded the 50% Regimental Training for 20,000k credits each crew member is a good deal and strongly recommended.

If you get a tank at 100% and then compare it to 25% it's stunning what the 100% crew can do in terms of driving and firing.  Playing with 100% crew is a lot of fun.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on August 03, 2010, 09:34:48 AM

Crew skills makes a huge difference.  I don't know if it's worth the gold, but I've concluded the 50% Regimental Training for 20,000k credits each crew member is a good deal and strongly recommended.

If you get a tank at 100% and then compare it to 25% it's stunning what the 100% crew can do in terms of driving and firing.  Playing with 100% crew is a lot of fun.

Yeah, that they do. I have a T-26 crew that is around 80% and they're so much fun to play in the recruit battles.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on August 03, 2010, 03:59:33 PM

Yeah, that they do. I have a T-26 crew that is around 80% and they're so much fun to play in the recruit battles.

Hah, that's a pretty nifty trick.  You can probably shoot over twice as fast as the other recruit tanks.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2010, 02:28:07 AM »

So I am up to 1200 gold whats a good tank to buy with straight out gold?  I have the PzkII and the Pzk III Ausf A and am getting owned by the larger tanks when I drive the Ausf A; I only have one research item left on it the PzkIII tank.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »

for 2500 gold you can buy premium for a month.. that's 150% to exp and credits for each battle, for 30 days.

Atomic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: