http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:15:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wizard101 anyone?  (Read 14185 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »

I'm curious if there are any other otherwise mature adults who enjoy playing Wizard101? I started playing a couple months ago, looking for some way to combine gaming and entertaining my 3 year old. We were both pretty tired of Plants vs Zombies. The free areas were just enough to get me interested in the play mechanics, but not enough to keep me entertained for long. I grabbed a discounted 1 year sub for $60 and feel like I've been getting my money's worth.

It's far simpler than anything else I've tried, except for Toontown. The combat is basically a card game, you build your own deck from spells you get from trainers as well as some you get from items you have equipped. Stats on equipment can affect damage, healing (given or received), "mana" generation, defense, accuracy, health and mana pools. Equipment is gained through drops, quests, shops or crafting  (and microtransactions).

The game is mostly solo friendly, each world has one dungeon that would be very challenging solo. Friends can help with most anything and it seems you can teleport to your friends location pretty much anytime. Fights have up to 4 per side. At low levels they are limited to even numbers, a bit later the enemy can have one more mob than the players side. There's also arena pvp for combinations from 1v1 to 4v4.

I think there are 9 different "classes", tough all work pretty much the same. Some focus on healing, some on defense, some have more health or less, some do greater damage with lower accuracy, some have lifetaps, some DoTs. You get all of the spells for your own class and can use extra training points to get spells from other classes, though they aren't all available and you have to get other classes spells from the bottom up.

Oh there are also one time use spells you can get from drops, quests, crafting or I think microtransactions that you can add to the sideboard of your deck. Good for emergencies.

I have a 27 ice mage that is more or less a tank with high health and good defense. He's been mostly abandoned for a 34 death mage that has lots of lifetaps and stacking damage boosters.

If you want a very simple MMO to waste time, I find it more fun than it has any right to be. I don't actually know anyone else that is playing, but if you try it out I'll see if I can figure out how to meet up. I don't even know if there is any trading, I hear people talking about trading those one time use cards/spells so there must be some level of trading. Even if I couldn't help with equipment, having a 34 Death mage with all available Life mage healing spells could be helpful in tough fights. slywink

There's also housing and you get a metric ton of decorations from drops and quests.

https://www.wizard101.com/start
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:53:24 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

My wife and I are playing.  I found out today that a new world is coming soon along with a raised level cap
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »

I know two guys on the art team at Kings Isle.  I was in the beta but for some reason it over-taxed my video card at the time.  I think it was just un-optimized graphic code that made it happen, because the graphic complexity isn't that high.

I'll check out the free side again and see if my video card still flips out.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

Both my children (10, 13) play this and love it. I like the fact they have a family sub option and their support guys are superb. Maybe I need to check it out as well....

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Tals on March 28, 2010, 07:04:33 PM

Maybe I need to check it out as well....

It definitely doesn't compare with the modern mature MMOs from a gaming complexity standpoint, but depending on the number of PCs you have available, I think you could have fun playing with your kids. As a soloist I love the challenge of managing a deck that allows me to take out the big bosses.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »

New things coming

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/362/feature/4367
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »

still enjoying this one.. a level 49 Ice Wizard and now a level 3 Necromancer.

the new world of Celestia is open (I haven't made it there yet) and so is the Pet Area,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on July 25, 2010, 08:57:06 PM

still enjoying this one.. a level 49 Ice Wizard and now a level 3 Necromancer.

the new world of Celestia is open (I haven't made it there yet) and so is the Pet Area,
whats the pet area like?
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »

The Pet area has 4 mini games to improve your pet; a hatchery to create pet combos; and the derby.

Completing each minigame (A maze run, shooting out of a cannon, a dance game much like SIMON, and a ""catch the food as it falls game) gains you points and stat increases.  The pets now can "age" through experience points.  When a pet is "adult" and the next one, it can be "hatched", combined with a second pet to mix the attributes.  Pets now have a rarity rating.  My Ice Pet provides me with a spell card.  The derby is a race against other players. aside from bragging rights, I don't know the point.  I don't do PvP in the arena either.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »

I think they just have a teaser open, not the entire world, don't they? I thought it was just an intro quest or something.

I'm working my way through dragonspyre now after a long hiatus. Level 47 Necro. Once you play Death you'll never go back! slywink

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 26, 2010, 12:09:55 PM

I think they just have a teaser open, not the entire world, don't they? I thought it was just an intro quest or something.

I'm working my way through dragonspyre now after a long hiatus. Level 47 Necro. Once you play Death you'll never go back! slywink
love your Avatar
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 26, 2010, 12:09:55 PM

Maybe it is.. I'm working through Dragonspyre as well, so I can't get there yet.

BTW my new character is a Necro, I'm thinking Fire for secondary. thoughts?  I hit a great combo last time Ice/Storm.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:39:32 AM by sgoldj » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on July 27, 2010, 11:37:56 AM

BTW my new character is a Necro, I'm thinking Fire for secondary. thoughts?  I hit a great combo last time Ice/Storm.

I'm pretty sure I went Life secondary for a while, but I haven't used anything but Death spells in probably 30 levels, except the balance blade that buffs death, but that doesn't require any real investment. Life is good for the heals early before you are doing lifetaps for all of your attacks. After that it is useless, except as far as it is group-friendly. I don't group much so I don't bother putting any heals in my deck.  The other big thing everyone recommends for everyone is the 50% shield from ice. I don't use that either. Not sure if I have it even. As death, at least once you get the vampire, you don't *need* anything else.

Funny thing, my original main was Ice too. Though I only took him to mid-20s.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:58 AM »

my wife is a Storm/Life with a bit of fire thrown in.  she swears by the Life spells
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on July 30, 2010, 01:00:58 AM

my wife is a Storm/Life with a bit of fire thrown in.  she swears by the Life spells

Life spells are great... unless you are a 30+  necro. There's pretty much no use for healing. I have full life at the end of pretty much every combat due to the huge lifetaps I do. A fully stacked lifetap can do 4k (against life opponents anyhow slywink ) and I don't use all the boosts I could. I could get it to 6k with everything against a life boss. I've soloed every boss in the game but Malistaire.

Speaking of Malistaire, I just got to his area (and 50th level). I got to the door, it said "more than 3 hours" and I shut down. No idea when I'm going to have that kind of time. Have you or your wife done Malistaire yet? I'm guessing to get it done in a reasonable time I'm going to need a group (hint). Of course my playtime is pretty sporadic. frown

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »

we're in the Crystal Grove and have just received The bit about finding the staff pieces.  Since we haven't made it to Dragon Claw Canyon or Crown Of Fire, I'm Guessing we still have a ways to go.  I'll check for some weekend time and see if we can arrange a meet.  We can friend then port over to the dungeon.  it will have to be after finals though (week after next)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 01, 2010, 11:44:24 AM

we're in the Crystal Grove and have just received The bit about finding the staff pieces.  Since we haven't made it to Dragon Claw Canyon or Crown Of Fire, I'm Guessing we still have a ways to go. 

Ha! That quest line feels like it goes forever. It doesn't but it's close. slywink

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »

Steven Deathgarden if you happen to be on and run into me.  wife is Cheryl Moonblade. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 01, 2010, 02:25:33 PM

Steven Deathgarden if you happen to be on and run into me.  wife is Cheryl Moonblade. 

Kevin Darkweaver here, I'm pretty much just leveling my pet now. Someday I will have an adult pet!

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »

Questikn: did you complete the GM quest on Colossus Blvd?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »

I don't know what a GM quest is, so maybe?

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:14 AM »

There seems to be a special quest for lvl 50 characters in Wizard City.  Talk to Pvt Mouldoon in old Town.  He'll ask you about Lt. Culpepper.  I can't get past the first level of the battle.  my wife made it past the first, not the second.

If you've done that one on Colossus Blvd, let me know how it went.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 04:24:47 AM »

Couldn't make it past the second level and the first level was a crapshoot solo. I was trying it with scarecrows though, I think with pure wraiths I'd stand a decent chance. On the second level the first scarecrow doesn't take anyone out and getting beat on by all 4 mobs for 8 rounds is too much, especially with mobs casting the ice 50% shield.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:53 AM »

We went in together a few minutes ago.(2 of us)  Got past the first 3groups; Storm Lord really helps.  lost at the boss fight when we got hit with meteors to the tune of 9000 +\-.  the lesson is take out the henchman.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 05, 2010, 04:50:53 AM

We went in together a few minutes ago.(2 of us)  Got past the first 3groups; Storm Lord really helps.  lost at the boss fight when we got hit with meteors to the tune of 9000 +\-.  the lesson is take out the henchman.

Actually the lesson should be to kill the boss in one hit. slywink I read up on this a little bit and it looks to be pretty hardcore. That wasn't the boss, it was the first boss.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »

We're gonna play again about 9:30 pm central tonight. Hopefully we'll catch each other ten.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 07, 2010, 03:10:40 PM

We're gonna play again about 9:30 pm central tonight. Hopefully we'll catch each other ten.

Sorry we got in late Saturday and still had to workout before bed. frown For the next 9 days I am finishing up the Insanity workout program and that takes most of my free time before bed. After that I should have more time... unless I reopen my WoW account. saywhat

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »

So do you guys subscribe or pay by area?  I used to subscribe, but my characters aren't all that high - got to Krokotopia - and I don't really PvP, so the subscription wasn't really worth it to me.  Now I'm unlocking areas as I get to them.  Doesn't hurt that every so often they'll have a sale on crowns which would pretty much let me unlock everything that a subscription would get me for about the same price.  Not sure about the new areas though, but I'm guessing with my EGADD it will take me some time to get there. smile

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on August 24, 2010, 02:19:00 PM

So do you guys subscribe or pay by area?

I bought the year for $60 last year. I think it's running out soon. I'm not sure if I'll renew as I'm back into WoW now. When my son gets older I'll probably reconsider for him. I have one end-game character and a couple lower levels.  I didn't do the math on the unlocks, but $60 for a year of access to everything seems very reasonable to me.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 01:57:51 AM »

We went subscription. I have one end game character and a level 20 necro I'm playing with.  Since it's my only mom,  we'll keep it.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:36:24 AM »

I had the year for $60, but when it ran out I started buying areas.  From time to time KI will have a sale on 60000 crowns for $60.  According to them, that will unlock all the areas ( though not sure about the new areas like Celestial ).  The main advantage to subscription, besides not having to worry that you haven't unlocked an area yet, is you can do all the PvP you want ( either duels or the pet racing...I believe ).

What I'm doing is only unlocking the areas as I get to them.  I'm playing with my daughter, so I'm sending her the crowns needed too.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 04:29:51 AM »

Defeated the big bad this evening. FWIW, you will require at least two people because of the last few puzzles.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »

I hold the broken key to Celestia... Muwahhhahahaha.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 27, 2010, 04:29:51 AM

Defeated the big bad this evening. FWIW, you will require at least two people because of the last few puzzles.

Congrats smile one of these days I'll get back, I guess my timing was bad for restarting WoW.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »

If you want to jump in one-evening and give it a shot, just let me know.  No worries, no hurries.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 12:09:49 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 29, 2010, 10:53:53 PM

Quote from: sgoldj on August 27, 2010, 04:29:51 AM

Congrats smile one of these days I'll get back, I guess my timing was bad for restarting WoW.
come back now!
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 01:54:06 AM »

Wizard101 celebrates its second anniversary

It's easy to dismiss Wizard101  as nothing more than a cute MMO for kids, but the game has proven that it has quite a bit of depth and staying power. And September is the milestone to mark it by, since the game launched in September of 2008. With the arrival of the two-year anniversary for the game, the production staff for KingsIsle Entertainment has posted a short letter to commemorate the achievement and discuss the game's future in brief.

Obviously, one of the big points of the future is the release of Celestia, which is currently slated for early fall. The new area and concurrent free expansion will raise the level cap and offer players a variety of new abilities, in addition to the eponymous underwater zone. To help kick off the pending launch, the development team is promising a quest later this month featuring "one of the hottest teen icons on the planet." It's been a busy two years for Wizard101, and it looks like the team is looking forward to many more.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »

Secon d anniversary AND I got to run around looking like a Ninja Pig for a while.  How keel is that? I
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 01:05:41 PM »

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/08/pax-2010-selena-gomez-is-wizard101s-new-damsel-in-distress-em/

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »

VOTE FOR WIZARD101!!  http://www.gdconlineawards.com/audience.php
  Simply type Wizard101 in the choice box and enter your email in the other box.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: