http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WISH gets canceled after 8 days of beta  (Read 3309 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2005, 11:15:04 PM »

Yep after just 8 days of beta WISH is perma cancelled.

After careful consideration of all the facts and analyzing all the data which we have gathered from the Wish Beta 2.0 test so far, we have decided to cancel the Wish project.
Our Beta test will end this evening at 6pm EST, and at this time our Beta forums will close as well.

We enjoyed working together with our fans very much, and we are very sorry about this development. We wish you the best of luck in the future, and hope that you continue to enjoy online gaming, even with Mutable Realms and Wish not being available anymore

http://www.mutablerealms.com/

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 11:46:34 PM »

Translation:

When we sent out the beta keys, we couldn't get anyone to quit playing WoW long enough to download our game.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 12:27:26 AM »

That is pretty amazing.  I guess it is best to can it before picking up the hardware.  I do wonder what kind of data you can collect other than a slew of negative player comments that would make you axe it.

I do wonder how much these games canabilize each other's player bases.  I know WoW is doing fine but are other ones suddenly hurting for players or is there enough to go around?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 12:33:28 AM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 12:57:01 AM »

:lol: Hahaha that's quite funny.

Played around with it for awhile . . . just wasn't up to the level that new recent MMORPGs are at.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 01:21:34 AM »

Yep, it's a game that had a lot of good idea, but it really lacked direction.

I'm sad to see it go only because that's a lot of manpower they put into, but I never really thought it'd go anywhere.

Next time, they need to hire a good art director.

Anothing thing was they they were heading in the exact opposite direction that the MMO industry is currently going.  Large single world, no instances, lots of downtime crafting, etc...

Now sometimes this can be a good thing, but you have to do extra good work to get people to sit up and notice you.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:07:21 AM »

I prefer the WoW model...big world with onlyy a few instances..I actually hate instances and prefer fighting over stuff and having others in my dungeon...but WoW sems to havea nice balance.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 04:33:07 AM »

Quote from: "Shkspr"
Translation:

When we sent out the beta keys, we couldn't get anyone to quit playing WoW long enough to download our game.

Yeah, I think that's what truly happened to the game.

And I do think that other (smaller) MMOs are starting to be hurt by the big duo out right now. Although, I think it's just the big one, personally.

Has anybody here seen WoW for sale since release? I can walk into nearly any store and see EQ2 (and its Collector's Edition) all over the place, but I couldn't find a WoW to save my life.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 05:11:51 AM »

Yeah, I agree.  The big two are hurting everyone, and I also agree that it's probably mostly WoW.  EQ2's customers are probably more of the hardcore players that have been playing MMOs for a while now.  WoW has a bit of that and probably a lot of the Blizzard fans that neve rplayed MMOs.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 05:14:17 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Translation:

And I do think that other (smaller) MMOs are starting to be hurt by the big duo out right now. Although, I think it's just the big one, personally.

Has anybody here seen WoW for sale since release? I can walk into nearly any store and see EQ2 (and its Collector's Edition) all over the place, but I couldn't find a WoW to save my life.

Part of that is because Blizzard is staggering their releases.  They are cutting the supply short to prevent the servers from being overloaded.  But still, I can't really can't see any of the smaller MMOGs competing with WoW.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 05:58:58 AM »

Translation:

Well, for instance, in the world I play at in FFXI the peak time would yield around 4500 people.  Now if I do a search around the peak time it's at around 2500-3000.  And that's just one world.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »

In my area of the world, (pittsburgh, pa) I see copies of WoW and EQ2 all over the place.  Best Buy, EB, Circuit City... all of em have 20-30 copies of both.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 04:05:52 PM »

In my area of the world (Seattle) you cannot find WOW.  Where I work we see less than 10 copies a week come in and they sell out immediately. Compare that to 5-10 requests a day for the game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »

I played Wish a bit in the first Beta and it wasn't too bad - not brilliant, but not too bad.  The second time I tried it, the lag was horrific, making it virtually unplayable, and the controls seemed to be a lot more twitchy.  

On the other hand, the character creator was EXTREMELY deep, right down to how big your cheekbones were.  A shame this isn't available in WoW.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 06:56:30 PM »

I think if cash cows like Blizz have trouble with lag, on top of the line servers with 3000- to 4000  I think Wish maybe discovered what we all probably already knew,  how the hell are you gonna have 10k + in a single world?  It amazes me that these games get  this far , only to finally see the glaring problems that any focus group could of told them by just hearing the design documents.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 07:32:11 PM »

The only thing I knew about Wish was that I wasn't going to be playing it.  I saw an interview with the devs long ago, in which the devs talked about the incredibly high system requirements the game would have.  Their reaction was something to the effect of "people will just have to upgrade."

No, we just won't play your crappy game, you arrogant dev.   :roll:

So, long Wish.   Tongue
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 08:17:42 PM »

I didn't even know about this game until it got canned.

Which, now that I think about it, is probably a contributing factor in why it got canned.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 08:57:18 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
In my area of the world (Seattle) you cannot find WOW.  Where I work we see less than 10 copies a week come in and they sell out immediately. Compare that to 5-10 requests a day for the game.

true dat.  Oh god true dat.

where do you work? if you don't mind me asking?

Just Hiro will do.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 08:32:07 AM »

A press release today said that 600K copies have been sold so far(not sure if thats sell through or shipped). They've reached 200K users on at once too. Pretty impressive considering its only been released in the US so far.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 09:02:59 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

A press release today said that 600K copies have been sold so far(not sure if thats sell through or shipped). They've reached 200K users on at once too. Pretty impressive considering its only been released in the US so far.

Some other places other than the U.S. have been selling it.  From the official press release:

"Blizzard Entertainment today announced that World of Warcraft has sold through more than 600,000* units to customers in North America, Australia, and New Zealand. The fastest-growing massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) has also shattered all previous concurrency records in North America, achieving over 200,000 simultaneous players during the holiday period. "

Don't forget those Aussies!   biggrin

warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 12:34:37 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Don't forget those Aussies!   biggrin

And those Kiwi's!  I think I saw Peter Jackson on Whisperwind last night.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »

I think I saw Peter Jackson on Whisperwind last night.

No, that was an orc in a tuxedo.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: