http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I hate World of Warcraft ~ by depward  (Read 2565 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2005, 07:29:33 AM »

How do I hate thee? Let me list the ways:

-I hate you because you seemingly make everyone want to play you.
-I hate you because every forum topic needs to be about you.
-I hate you because in no time I can have 200 atk or 300 def, something numerically high like that, and feel like I'm uber.
-I hate you because you employed a slick marketing scheme to make yourself feel "needed" amongst the Blizzard brainwashed, whom seemingly make up %90 of the population.
-I hate you because even your acronym, WoW, "wow", even stands for a word that means, "Used to express wonder, amazement, or great pleasure," and "An outstanding success."
-I hate you because you took away a portion of the FFXI population, including a good friend of mine. Well, at least you took them for a couple of months.
-I hate you because even these "quibbles" people have about logging in and so forth, they still continue to love the heck out of you.
-I hate you because a so-called "casual player" can apparently "experience" everything there is about you. No doubt, that "casual player" will turn into a hardcore'ish MMORPG player because of it.
-I hate you because you had to turn the MMORPG community upside-down and make the monopolistic competition MMORPG environment into an almost Monopoly marketing environment.
-I hate you because I have a free 10 day trial installed and ready to start on my computer . . . and that desktop icon stares at me everytime I'm on my comp. But only causes more hatred towards you.

I just had to write this down. I know the phrase, "Don't knock it before you've tried it," but seriously, I don't really care. Perhaps I'll give WoW a try someday, but for now, it's my sworn nemesis. And yes - I do hate it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 08:37:53 AM »

World of Warcraft is approximately 98,000 times the game than the piece-of-shit grindfest that was FFXI.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:13:38 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
World of Warcraft is approximately 98,000 times the game than the piece-of-shit grindfest that was FFXI.

Cool!  And I'm supposed to care about you saying that because . . .?  Seriously, saying that about a game I play, seeing as how I didn't say anything retarded like, "WOW SUCKS 1,000,000 TIMES MORE THAN FFXI", is pointless and really, just pretty dumb.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:56:04 PM »

·`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·.,
 Give *in* to the icon... WoooOoOOOooooW
·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`'`·._,··`

</hypnosis>

You know, WoW lets you solo. That's what sold me on it.
I used to be into FFXI (for a long time; Stabbetty on Phoenix)

I don't miss waiting an hour for a party.
I don't miss paying 6k for shuriken that miss half the time.
Some days I get nostalgic though, and FFXI was an amazing balance act.
That, and the AH in WoW is not nearly as well done as FFXI.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »

Long time FFXI player, recent convert to WoW checking in. I miss a few things, but WoW is so much more fun for me. By the last few months, FFXI had started to turn into a job. Genkai anyone? smile

The funny thing is I finally got "erase" for my lvl 50 White Mage and right after I got it, I started playing WoW and never went back!

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 04:42:01 PM »

Maybe you have a fear of trying it and finding out you might love it.  It being your sworn neminiss is a little steep.  How can you hate something with experincing it?
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:54:01 PM »

What are atk and def (I can guess, it's not exactly rocket surgery), and how do you know that those numbers are high in the context of World of Warcraft if you haven't played it?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 08:21:01 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
What are atk and def (I can guess, it's not exactly rocket surgery), and how do you know that those numbers are high in the context of World of Warcraft if you haven't played it?

I've heard people be like, "Yeah my crafting is like 150!" and it seems as though it took them a couple of hours or something.

Anyways, it's just supposed to kinda be a "funny" I guess.  Sure, maybe I do dislike it even though I haven't tried it (because FFXI is my first MMORPG and I'm pretty loyal to it), but there are some things about it that Idon't particularily care for, from a FFXI player's point of view.

But that's ok and dandy - I'm glad a lot of you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.  And who knows - someday I might just try it out and love it like all of you.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
...seeing as how I didn't say anything retarded...

-I hate you because in no time I can have 200 atk or 300 def, something numerically high like that, and feel like I'm uber.
-I hate you because you employed a slick marketing scheme to make yourself feel "needed" amongst the Blizzard brainwashed, whom seemingly make up %90 of the population.
-I hate you because even your acronym, WoW, "wow", even stands for a word that means, "Used to express wonder, amazement, or great pleasure," and "An outstanding success."
-I hate you because even these "quibbles" people have about logging in and so forth, they still continue to love the heck out of you.
-I hate you because a so-called "casual player" can apparently "experience" everything there is about you. No doubt, that "casual player" will turn into a hardcore'ish MMORPG player because of it.
-I hate you because you had to turn the MMORPG community upside-down and make the monopolistic competition MMORPG environment into an almost Monopoly marketing environment.

...I just had to write this down. I know the phrase, "Don't knock it before you've tried it," but seriously, I don't really care.

I wrote my '98,000x better' post as a probe to see how tongue-in-cheek this post was.  Since you replied so viciously, I can only assume you actually mean what you said above.

And yikes, that's sad.  It rings of middle school female drama -- "I haven't met that girl, but people are talking about her and she's been asked out alot and goddammit I just know she's a slutty bitch."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 11:03:34 PM »

I certainly was never a blizzard fan, having never played a blizzard game before, but this is the first mmorpg that doesn't feel like work.  I actually have fun, and that gets a nod from me.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 11:09:39 PM »

I don't feel like having a post of mine being "probed" by someone.  I never really thought people "probed" messages written by other people.  I thought message boards were to have a little bit of fun, write what you think, and so forth.  Not to "probe" a post by someone and then point out how dumb the person is because of the "evidence" that was provided.  That, in itself, is so ridiculously retarded and shows to me how full of it that person is.

slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 02:58:51 AM »

Member of the OO 2,500 Frag Club
Final Fantasy XI - Chujimomo
Rank - 5
Server - Cerberus - BLM 50, WHM 25, BRD 15

So how's that Genkai1 going for your BLM? Having fun yet?

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 03:09:55 AM »

Already done - took me two days.  Lotted on the only papyrus drop of the night last night.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 03:11:59 AM »

I don't feel like having a post of mine being "probed" by someone.  I never really thought people "probed" messages written by other people.  I thought message boards were to have a little bit of fun, write what you think, and so forth.  Not to "probe" a post by someone and then point out how dumb the person is because of the "evidence" that was provided.  That, in itself, is so ridiculously retarded and shows to me how full of it that person is.
Did you edit this post?  I remember reading something different earlier today.

I couldn't tell if this post was sarcastic or not.  Simple as that.

This thread is a fantastic example of cognitive dissonance.

After all, if you post it in public, it MUST be true, right?

Perhaps you'd like to discuss your recent feelings of boredom in FFXI?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 05:37:33 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Did you edit this post?  I remember reading something different earlier today.

I couldn't tell if this post was sarcastic or not.  Simple as that.

This thread is a fantastic example of cognitive dissonance.

After all, if you post it in public, it MUST be true, right?

Perhaps you'd like to discuss your recent feelings of boredom in FFXI?

If I did edit my post, who really cares?  Thanks for pointing that out.

That post was not sarcastic - I don't see the point of posting something just so you can post it for some kind of pseudo-experiment.  I think, personally, that's quite moronic.

Thanks for the cognitive dissonance link.  Here's a link that might help you:  Insecurity (namely definition 4-b)  I see it as you have this problem and try to remedy it by posting things that make you feel like you're "out-besting" someone or better than someone on an online message board.  It's really a problem of self-esteem and perhaps you might look into not trying to post things making yourself look like you "know it all" and perhaps not try to, I have no idea why you would in the first place, provoke someone into writing something?  Just a thought.

This thread wasn't made to post about any sort of feeling with FFXI.  Maybe you came to a hasty conclusion by diagnosing me writing this thread as a "psychological phenomenon."  Maybe you should change your name to "-Doctor Ebonstone-", since you can apparently know exactly what's going through my mind.  Well, you did write an initial reply as a "probe", so there's an experiment right there!  But anyways, by golly thanks for the information.  I'll make sure to bookmark that page and look it over whenever I have the feeling that I don't want to try WoW.  If you would like to hear what I have to say about my feelings of FFXI, I would be glad to post about it other than in this particular thread which has no real connection with me discussing FFXI.

I'll make sure not to edit this thread at all for you personally.  I know it can be such a bugaboo when someone edits a grammatical error or two in a post.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 05:47:18 AM »

Here's a link that might help you:  Insecurity (namely definition 4-b)  I see it as you have this problem and try to remedy it by posting things that make you feel like you're "out-besting" someone or better than someone on an online message board.  It's really a problem of self-esteem and perhaps you might look into not trying to post things making yourself look like you "know it all" and perhaps not try to, I have no idea why you would in the first place, provoke someone into writing something?  Just a thought.

There are three words I'm thinking of here.  They are:

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »

I'm closing this thread down.  It has sunk to lows that it doesn't need to.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: