http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:29:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'd rather play online with GT/OO people  (Read 2664 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:33 AM »

I jumped into a game of Gears 2 tonight with Lettuce and some people I guess he knows online. We were playing Execution matches, and before the last match, Lettuce dropped out and I stayed on to play another match. The match went to 4-4 and I wound up in sudden death, and with about 10 seconds to go, the opposing player came into view and we started shooting each other. Rather than run back and let time run out, I started shotgunning to see if I could win. I wound up getting hit by a torque bow with about 2 seconds left on the clock and lost the match. When I dropped back into the lobby, one of the guys says, "Teggy, you're such a moron." But not in a friendly way - he genuinely seemed annoyed that we lost the match. I knew I had done a stupid thing - I have played very little Gears and I'm not very good, but it is just a video game, so I didn't care too much. I laughed it off and said I was sorry, and I had to go anyway, so I dropped out.

I don't really understand how people can be so concerned about losing a game - if it was a ranked match I guess the guy might have _some_ kind of point, but it was a private match and we were just having fun. I've never in my life felt the need to belittle someone based on their videogame skills (unless they're griefing). On the other hand, at least these guys were interested in playing together and kept the useless chatter to a minimum, unlike what you find in public matches. I'm in no way easily offended, and I'll often laugh at the ridiculous things that are said on Live, but I just don't understand why people feel the need to say the most vulgar, racist things while they play videogames. The little kids are horrible, and I wonder where their parents are, but the older guys are probably worse, because they should know better.

But my point in all of this is that it's nice to know that the people on these boards like to play for the fun of it. Sure, there's trash talking, but it's always good natured and I've never heard anyone give anyone but themselves a hard time. So thanks for the fun times, and I'll keep looking for you guys online.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:24:11 AM »

That sucks.  I turned off voice coms for anyone except friends when I played COD4 because I couldn't stand the general public.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:05:18 AM »

Trust me. It was probably Unholy Avenger or whatever his name is.  That's only the 2nd time I've played with him and he's a whiney little girl.  Ignore him.  He was whining the whole night before you got there and he probably whined after you left.

Retaard, Ala and the regular crew: Skeeter, Bonehead, Shocker, Bigreddawg are all cool guys. Todger too.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

Well, like I said, I didn't really take it personally. My point was really that I'm glad people around here "get it".

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

I heard that comment as well.  And SL some of those other guys are quite bitchy as well since all I heard from my team was how it was BS this or that each and everytime they got killed, which gets old but at least it wasn't directed at another person and I can understand being frustrated but at the point it is break time for me.  It just seemed like some of them have a win at any cost mentality and not interested in even teams or good close matches.  I know it was the first time in a long while some of you had gotten to play together though so that was part of the reason for the wingman teams.  But that doesn't mean I won't play with them or give them another shot... who knows maybe it was a bad day for them, me or whoever.

Hell, I have Bembleton on my friend's list now and we played together a lot last night and had a good time and I wouldn't have ever met him except from that game.  And the most unbelievable part was we hooked up with a group of 3 strangers that were an absolute blast to be teamed up with and played for several hours as a group.

As for Teggy's situation I have never understood those comments from anyone (friends, general public, etc).  Obviously the person who was watching and got eliminated before him must be an even greater moron for being in spectator mode smile  Besides.. from playing Battlefield we all know that Teggy's job isn't to kill people but is to run around and revive/heal the rest of us that charge off and get in trouble.  Tongue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

Another thing that I like about playing with fellow forum members is the level of camaraderie and the humor in each game we play.  For instance, as the last remaining players cannot hear the dead, whenever there's only one or two people left on the battlefield for each team, usually those of us waiting in the room of death are cheering on our teammate, even though they can't hear us (kind of like screaming at the TV during a football game), and all dead players regardless of team can hear each other, so if a match ends in sorrow due to a questionable tactic, there isn't any name-calling or belittling.  Intead we just all laugh together, not maliciously at the offender, but in general at how much fun the last round was and how humorously it ended.  And rarely is anyone just in the game for themselves.  On a number of occasions I've had a teammate risk his own character's life to come to my aid as I slowly crawl away from the field of battle leaving a trail of blood behind. 

There's something to be said about joking around with online friends, laughing together about silly mistakes, mocking players like Inver for constantly needing to be revived (icon_wink), cheering a hard-fought victory or laughing about an embarassing defeat, it just all makes for a wonderfully pleasant and entertaining atmosphere.  I've long ago lost patience with the online masses and instead prefer to play with friends.  Life is too short to waste time listening to mindless drivel and unnecessary namecalling when you can instead be truly enjoying your experience with online friends who support your play and make for an altogether pleasant experience.

Except for those fucking potty mouths.  I really get fucking tired of fucking players who get so pissed off that rather than adding something to the game they instead lament why they bought the fucking game in the first place or how much they fucking hate the game or how they fucking meleed first.  Why did I buy this fucking game, anyway.   disgust

(icon_wink)

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Owain on November 12, 2008, 04:24:24 PM

Besides.. from playing Battlefield we all know that Teggy's job isn't to kill people but is to run around and revive/heal the rest of us that charge off and get in trouble.  Tongue

Yeah, that's right! I know what I'm good at. biggrin

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »

Yeah, moving forward, given the chance I'll shack up with GT/OOers.

I stayed in that room last night cause I was looking for what promised to be some awesomely competitive matches- and it didn't turn out that way. It turned into exactly what Owain said- complaining and win at all costs....

That said, anyone gonna be on tonight?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 12, 2008, 06:31:39 PM

Didn't we go through this yesterday, and yet all of my invites were disregarded or outright ignored?  I feel so unwanted.   crybaby

On a serious note, I hope to be online a bit tonight.  If the wife has plans then I may be online for a few hours, but if not we may watch Kung Fu Panda or Hellboy 2 so my gaming time will be a little more limited.  Either way I'd love to get some versus MP in.  We weren't able to make it happen last night.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 12, 2008, 06:34:23 PM

Didn't we go through this yesterday, and yet all of my invites were disregarded or outright ignored?  I feel so unwanted.   crybaby

On a serious note, I hope to be online a bit tonight.  If the wife has plans then I may be online for a few hours, but if not we may watch Kung Fu Panda or Hellboy 2 so my gaming time will be a little more limited.  Either way I'd love to get some versus MP in.  We weren't able to make it happen last night.

I gave a mea culpa!  crybaby crybaby
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

Last night everyone and their mother was playing COD. Sometimes I feel reluctant to jump in on weeknights because I'll have to jump out due to time zone differences (late for me, not late for others), dinner, whatever. I might be available, I might stick to working on achievements.

I was surprised they didn't go for 4 player co-op campaign this time around. There are 4 primary characters, after all. The way they did this story it wouldn't have worked, but they could have written the story with 4 player co-op in mind. Also, they could have had some people switch characters - sometimes you play as Carmine, sometimes Baird, etc.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 12, 2008, 06:38:12 PM

Well, if matchmaking works better when you have five players on a team perhaps if we're able to get five together in a party we can take our skills online against the masses.  It'll be a break from Horde and we'll at least get some versus action in even if it's not against fellow forum members.  While I prefer playing in private rooms with friends, it's still nice to at least play together on the same team.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 12, 2008, 06:59:38 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 12, 2008, 06:38:12 PM

Well, if matchmaking works better when you have five players on a team perhaps if we're able to get five together in a party we can take our skills online against the masses.  It'll be a break from Horde and we'll at least get some versus action in even if it's not against fellow forum members.  While I prefer playing in private rooms with friends, it's still nice to at least play together on the same team.

It's all good. I'd love to do some private wingman again.  That was fun.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »

I get invites... usually too late.  I try to join and the games are full nearly every time.

I'm rarely in the right place at the right time it seems.   icon_neutral

I'm willing to bet I'm in bed by the time a lot of you guys really get going anyway.  Which is a bummer, as I miss out on some fun times I'm sure.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »

I will most likely have CoD5 (stupid but great Toys r Us deal) in but send me an invite anyway and give me a few minutes to switch and I will be up for playing.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:34 AM »

The internet is a wild and wooly place.  Those people scare me...   crybaby

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

The only fun I've ever had online has always been with GT/OO people.  I tried playing Halo 3 using their matchmaking system, but it didn't last longer than a couple days.  I always felt like I was playing with a bunch of grade school kids who sounded like they were around my oldest daughter's age.  The funny thing is at 12 she is much more mature than most of the random people I played with.

The few times I played Halo and GTA IV with the GT/OO crew I had a blast, regardless of who won or lost.  That to me is what online multiplayer is all about, it's just sad that so many people out there are so focused on winning or acting like morons they don't realize how annoying and idiotic they sound.

glyc

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone has done any psychology studies on the behavior of people online. I've found that the number of asshats depends on the game you're playing - public matches on COD4 had an average number, Halo 3 and Gears have a high number, Burnout is low (but there's always that _one_ guy). But I wonder if the anonymity of it makes people say things that they would never otherwise say.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 04:04:24 PM »

I think another part of it is that the asshats have drowned out the normal people.  Those microphone-less people you see in the game may very well be normal people who're just as sick of the outspoken asshats as you are.

It does depend a lot on the game, though.  The Battlefield:BC crowd on the 360 was surprisingly mature for a FPS on Live.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »

Courtesy of the Penny Arcade store

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 04:04:24 PM

I think another part of it is that the asshats have drowned out the normal people.  Those microphone-less people you see in the game may very well be normal people who're just as sick of the outspoken asshats as you are.

It does depend a lot on the game, though.  The Battlefield:BC crowd on the 360 was surprisingly mature for a FPS on Live.

True, although you were limited to exposure to a maximum of 3 asshats slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2008, 04:25:13 PM

True, although you were limited to exposure to a maximum of 3 asshats slywink

Wow, somehow I completely blocked that out of my memory.  They never patched in a change to the system, did they?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »

When I really want to play MP and there aren't enough people from my Friends list online I'll occasionally venture into a public game of COD4, Halo 3, GTA IV, etc.  But I'll either take off my headset completely (but still keep it connected, otherwise communications come from my surround sound speakers) or just mute everyone.  And even then, if I win I don't really feel much satisfaction, but if I lose I can't stand having my ass handed to me by a bunch of obnoxious fuckwads.  I can handle losing to GT/OO players as it's a friendly rivalry and everyone is primarily there to have fun regardless of who wins.  There isn't any money on the table, bragging rights in a videogame are pointless, and so the main reason we all get together is to have a good time playing a game.  You don't see people getting all racist and obnoxious in a friendly game of Cranium or cards.  Why does online gaming have to be that way?  I enjoy a fun, friendly rivalry with forum members.  Otherwise I just don't gain much enjoyment out of it.  Yes, it can be fun to put together a party and take your team out against the masses, but even then sometimes I'd just rather play against other friends.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »

BTW, I am again a temporary bachelor this weekend so I'm definitely up for having some beers and playing MP or co-op. I guess not having COD5 yet is going to be a limiting factor, but I'm trying to hold out and get it via trade.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2008, 05:18:47 PM

BTW, I am again a temporary bachelor this weekend so I'm definitely up for having some beers and playing MP or co-op. I guess not having COD5 yet is going to be a limiting factor, but I'm trying to hold out and get it via trade.

But you do have Gears of War 2.  Let's see if we can get a MP game going.  If not, there's always two-player co-op.  I've never really played co-op very much, so it could be a lot of fun playing with a fellow forum member. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 05:39:43 PM

But you do have Gears of War 2.  Let's see if we can get a MP game going.  If not, there's always two-player co-op.  I've never really played co-op very much, so it could be a lot of fun playing with a fellow forum member. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of co-op because it's really a social rather than competitive situation. And you get achievements for it and stuff slywink

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2008, 06:11:42 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 05:39:43 PM

Personally, I'm a big fan of co-op because it's really a social rather than competitive situation. And you get achievements for it and stuff slywink

I just got cod5, but I missed the boat on Gears 1 coop and I'd like to at least try it on Gears 2.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 04:31:33 PM

You don't see people getting all racist and obnoxious in a friendly game of Cranium or cards.  Why does online gaming have to be that way?

In the 2nd one, replace "total stranger" with anonymous stranger.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: