http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:45:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there no Warhammer Online Impressions thread?  (Read 19620 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »

PvP is fun as long as you have a competent warband for the sieges.  last night I joined a random warband to assault the T2 keep in the Shadowlands, and things went well at first, but when our asault stalled no one would help anyone else.  I tried to help other people, but the teamplay just broke down and there were 6-8 people just standing around as people got assaulted.  they weren't AFK as they'd back off if something came down the stairs, and after getting killed by a squig that was classified as 'dangerous' (or whatever the red clasification is for level differences) I said screw it and went back to PvE for a bit.  No more PUG's for me-  it'll be guild only from now on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 26, 2008, 03:48:03 PM

Lol. I was used to that first one where you cap the points and get the highest score to win. After i got to lvl 13 or so i did another one. When it started I saw we had a point and there was just one other one. then as im fighting i see that so-n-so has taken the Destruction flag. So for some reason it just enters my mind that they capped our spot. So I run back and ya theres no big glowing red thing there. But theres a cap pedestal. So I stand there for like 5 min trying to recap the spot. im thinking WTF whys it taking so long. Then I see where it says that same guy capped our flag. Im like wha? Then the big red glowing flag is back and I think well i musta stood here long enough to reopen our spot. Next thing I see if this little dorf come and our flag poofs but now he is glowing all red and running away. About 3 seconds later I realize this is a CTF map and he's got our flag!!!!! I cant believe it. Ima  huge FPS guy and played CTF forever but it just didn't hit me that there was CTF in my MMO RPG...geez and there goes the little bugger while I watch. By now Im too far away to freeze him and I cant catch the stuntie. Sigh.

Live and learn.

You are aware that the loading screens going into the scenarios give a run down of it right?
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:36 PM »

Quote from: Rich on September 25, 2008, 08:41:23 PM

It's just not grabbing me like WoW did or even AoC.  AoC once I got out of Tortage I got bored and quit within 2 more levels but the first 20 I really liked despite the brown graphics and boring loot.   WAR on the other hand is just odd and I have trouble figuring out what all I don't and do like about it.

I love the PQ stuff and have had no problem running into empty ones.

I like the art style more than AoC and LotRO but for the first time I haven't cared to read the quests and pay attention to the lore, I think it's just too overwhelming, there is too much of it all at once.

The regular quests are just boring mostly because of how easy they are, they've swung too far the other way.  I agree with the you should only have to kill 10 wolves to get 10 wolf tails part but I don't like the fact that you can go run up to 2 mobs standing next to each other and pull just one to you, kill him, pull the guys buddy who saw him run and die by my sword, then kill that guy only to have the first guy respawn already and repeat until you get your 20 kills without moving.

I feel like I'm 15 levels higher than the mobs that are my equal when running around in a zone, there seems to be very little threat range in T1.

Too much shit stacked on top of each other, ok this is an odd one but there are so many quests and tiny towns/settlements/PQ's/campgrounds right next to each other that it actually makes the zone feel small to me.  Like urban sprawl mixed with my fantasy MMO, two things that don't go well together imo.

The loot is much better than AoC but still not what I expected from Warhammer but my highest guy is still only lvl 6.  All I know of Warhammer is from the pictures off of books and figures I've seen on walls in game stores but I was expecting even crazier looking armor and weapons then I saw in WoW, maybe that's Warhammer 40K?

The profession/crafting stuff in the game hasn't made me even want to see what I can do in the future at this point.  I haven't seen much in the way of trainers or quests that help explain the system and what I can do with it in the higher levels.

The thing I can say about this game is that it makes me want to go relearn my UI and fire up my dormant WoW guys and finally make it to lvl 60 then 70 and then get the expansion for it in November.  I don't see myself playing this past the first month.

After playing Warhammer, I really don't see any possible way I could ever go back and play WoW again.  They took almost everything about WoW that made you want to choke a developer and either removed it, or made it fun.  It's clear that the guys from Mythic were either big WoW players or took some serious notes, now I think it's Blizzard's turn.  They may have the biggest MMO out there, but in my opinion they no longer have the best.

I sold off my WoW account awhile ago after I hit 70 mainly because the game just became so boring I couldn't play any more.  I'd log in and just sit there staring at my quest log, and then would promptly log off because I would have had to have forced myself to do them.  Quests were not fun, the lore is completely idiotic, PvP is a joke, and raiding is out of the question because I actually have a life.  I tried again on my girlfriend's account, played an ally shaman up to 54.  But after awhile I finally hit the wall for good this time and just could not bring myself to play her any more, even to bump her up one more level to get a death knight.  Wrath of the Lich King looks exactly like another Burning Crusade, which to me is just blah.  The Death Knights do look cool; but we all know you won't be able to swing a dead murlock around by it's tail without hitting a naked, dancing, death knight in the head.  And I'm still waiting for Blizzard's "explanation" as to how Alliance can have Death Knights at all.  This to me seems like laziness, almost like they didn't feel like putting in all the time and work for an additional hero class so they just decided to give the one they came up with to both.  As good as Blizzard's designers are, I can't bring myself to believe this is the best they could come up with.

So that's my difference in opinion.  When it came out, I loved WoW and played it non-stop.  The only things I really never experienced were some of the end game 5-mans and pretty much all of the raid content.  I played every class, most past 20, and several 40+.  I definitely got my money's worth, 100 times over, but it's time to move on.  Warhammer will do nicely until Diablo 3 comes out, or hopefully World of Starcraft.  smile

Or, dare I even hope, this mysterious Warhammer 40K MMO I've heard of but seen nothing about?  Does anyone even know if this is still in the works?

glyc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:47:54 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 26, 2008, 04:06:37 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on September 26, 2008, 02:30:59 PM

The flip side of that? Got into a group with Kublai and other Wanderers last night for T2 scenarios. Stonetroll crossing, in which a "flag" has to be captured and taken to three capture points. It was a total blast. Everybody was working together to protect the flag carrier. I was killing, or seriously wounding, people left and right (I think my final kill count was in the high 50s). We ended up destroying them. It was a total blast.

I did some RvR last night with some Wanderers as well, and also had a blast. I'm non-pvp kind of guy, but I somehow ended up getting 28 kills and dying 3 times.  icon_eek I attribute that to the fact this guild really seems to know what it's doing, and everyone played their parts perfectly.

In over 1000 hours of WoW (maybe closer to 1500), I never once went into PvP. I dueled maybe 5 times since the game has been out. But like you, YK, I'm starting to get hooked on it in WAR, and being in the Wanderers makes it a helluva lot more fun.

I did some PvP with the Wanderers awhile ago and we steamrolled over Destruction almost every time, iirc.  I tried with a pug last night and needless to say it did not go well.  No one wanted to communicate or work as a team, so Destruction rolled right over us.

glyc

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »

Quick tips:

1)  Trying to use a quest item that is in your inventory but can't find it?  I spent 45 minutes doing this before I figured it out.  There are actually three tabs in your bag/inventory (not two as it appears).  The half-circle thing on the top is your quest inventory -- look in there for the item you need
2)  The little circle to the top-left of the minimap is your "join scenario" button.  Click it immediately when you log on and join the scenario queue.
3)  Hit the "o" key (letter o - not zero) to open your social panel.  For some inscrutable reason, this panel doesn't have an on-screen icon like every other menu.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »

You can't underestimate the power of guild teamwork, particularly when using Ventrilo. It's pretty amazing the odds you can overcome with that level of communication.

What I've found about this game is that it is so team-focused that stragglers can get picked off very easily. Even tanks can go down really quick if they're caught by themselves. So moving together as a unit is crucial.

Perfect example: last night in Stonetroll, when Kub grabbed the flag he'd say, "Northeast, northwest, south" - whatever direction he was headed. By the time he got to the objective he had people waiting at the objective to protect him, he had people running behind him to protect him, etc. It made things ridiculously easy because all of us were moving as a unit towards the flag bearer most of the time.

The other side was scattered, so I'd keep running into 1 or 2 of them running around out in the open and lay waste to them. Or 2-3 would move to attack Kub, while the rest of their team was off God-knows-where in complete disarray.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »

A lot of your opening (T1) experience simply depends on how you the player choose to play the game.  This is what makes the game great for some, and less so for others.  The first time I started in beta, I think I played very much like Rich did and kind of slogged through some PvE quests by myself, joined a PQ or two and was generally kind of unimpressed with the whole experience.  Then just as I was getting ready to call it a night, I would q for a scenario - and boom it was a completely different game.  Sure there was a learning curve and I often got slaughtered, but the experience really transformed once I realized I could bounce back and forth between very different styles of gameplay.  Soon after I headed into my first "open RvR" area and again it was a completely different experience.  When I found I'd had enough of that, I would go back to the PvE/PQs and it was actually quite comforting for lack of a better word.

Once we hit later stages of beta and release and I was playing with my guild buddies, the game once again transformed.  Playing the T1 scenarios was such a blast I literally had to slow myself from levelling out of it.

That said, I have to dispute one statement from Rich's earlier comments:

"It's true that I like the PvE stuff but you pretty much have to play the PvE before you can get to the RvR stuff. "

This is simply not true.  You can jump in at level 1 to a PvP scenario if you so desire.  You will get your ass kicked and likely be chastised by your teammates, but it can still be fun, and someone who knows what they are doing can actually get quite a bit out of it.  A more realistic approach, though, is to spend about 20 minutes getting to level 3 (I've timed it about 10 times, and it's always been under 20) through PvE and then jump into a scenario group (generally there will be a quest associated with this anyway).  I don't think you really get to see the full nature of the game design until you allow yourself to experience all of the facets, both PvE and PvP, and see how nicely they are seamlessly blended together.  
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »

Quote from: yossar on September 25, 2008, 09:54:59 AM

Wow, it's really easy to cheese to the top of the damage meter as a sorc with AOEs and DOTs.  Just started T2 scenarios as a level 12 and 4th is the lowest I've finished in the overall damage rankings.  Of course I'd probably be more useful focusing my fire a bit more, but for now it's fun seeing all the damage pop up when I land a well placed AOE.  And the AOE root is still ridiculously good. 

While AOE seems like alot of damage without actually klling anyone, some things to consider:

All that damage puts pressure on the healers.   Suddenly everyones health bars are dropping!

Now, your single target teamates have got targets that are already softened up and halfway to death.

Now, toss in a couple Single target DPS focusing on those healers and flanking the squishies...

AOE damage is nice. Do not underestimate it, it can cause chaos within the zerg, and pressure the opposing side off their gameplan.

Sure, it will not wrack up the kills number for you so much, or killing blows..   Pressuring the healers, forcing them to make choices, making them work...   AOE is your friend.   Couple nice AOE damage dealers raining on, softening the zerg, right before the tanks plow in and the MDPS classes flank is a beautiful thing.

Consider it "archers" raining volleys before you send in the calvary and the infantry...    icon_evil

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:40:29 PM by Morgul » Logged
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »

So the RvR stuff isn't the same as the scenario's?  I ask because I've done 2 of the scenarios which is more than I ever did in WoW as far as PvP goes, so what is RvR stuff like if it isn't the cap the point gameplay I've seen in the two T1 scenario's I played?

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Butterknife on September 26, 2008, 06:05:53 PM

Quick tips:

1)  Trying to use a quest item that is in your inventory but can't find it?  I spent 45 minutes doing this before I figured it out.  There are actually three tabs in your bag/inventory (not two as it appears).  The half-circle thing on the top is your quest inventory -- look in there for the item you need
2)  The little circle to the top-left of the minimap is your "join scenario" button.  Click it immediately when you log on and join the scenario queue.
3)  Hit the "o" key (letter o - not zero) to open your social panel.  For some inscrutable reason, this panel doesn't have an on-screen icon like every other menu.

Regarding point 3, a button for the social panel is at the upper left corner of the chat window where you see the various faces.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

Quote from: Rich on September 26, 2008, 06:44:20 PM

So the RvR stuff isn't the same as the scenario's?  I ask because I've done 2 of the scenarios which is more than I ever did in WoW as far as PvP goes, so what is RvR stuff like if it isn't the cap the point gameplay I've seen in the two T1 scenario's I played?

There are a few different ways to RvR.  Scenarios is certainly one way, but you will also find an open RvR area in each tier.  It is seamless with the rest of the region and not instanced.  Think of it as the current contested battlefront between factions and lies on the border between opposing factions' zones.  You will also have quests that take you into the area that are fairly hard to accomplish unless you are controlling certain points in the region.  You can build up renown this way as well.  So there's tons of stuff to do - PvE quests, Tome Unlocks, PvE PQs (several different types in each tier), RvR Scenarios (several different types in each tier), RvR open area combat in the contested zone, Quests in RvR contested zones, etc.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »

To expand on Fez's explanation, the open-world RvR typically involves capturing battle objectives and keeps. Each contested zone typically has two keeps and four battle objectives.

The keeps and battle objectives are staffed by AI, so a single person can't just run in and cap them uncontested. The AI is typically made up of several champions and one hero level mob, so it takes a minimum of a really good full group to capture any of them.

Once you capture (and hold for 3 minutes) a battle objective, the BO cannot be captured by the other side for 15 minutes. You get some nice renown XP for capturing BOs, and they contribute to your side's overall "control" over the zone (the amount of control your side has bestows various bonuses).

Keeps are *much* tougher to capture. These are castles, so you have to actually break down the door to get inside. Once inside you have to fight off a bunch of champion level mobs and one tough-as-nails hero mob. Beating the hero mob captures the keep, and also initiates a public quest roll for loot (just as if you had participated in a public quest).

Now - keep in mind that even though all these things are staffed by AI, enemy players aren't just going to let you take them. So what typically ends up happening is really fierce battles between players over the keeps (one side attacking, one side defending). The faction which "owns" each keep or BO is easily viewable on the in-game map, as well as the status (whether they are under attack or not).

Think of open-world RvR as a game of "Battlefield" on a really large scale. Often groups will move from zone to zone to capture - or defend - contested keeps and BOs across the game world. 

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 26, 2008, 07:20:25 PM

To expand on Fez's explanation, the open-world RvR typically involves capturing battle objectives and keeps. Each contested zone typically has two keeps and four battle objectives.

The keeps and battle objectives are staffed by AI, so a single person can't just run in and cap them uncontested. The AI is typically made up of several champions and one hero level mob, so it takes a minimum of a really good full group to capture any of them.

Once you capture (and hold for 3 minutes) a battle objective, the BO cannot be captured by the other side for 15 minutes. You get some nice renown XP for capturing BOs, and they contribute to your side's overall "control" over the zone (the amount of control your side has bestows various bonuses).

Keeps are *much* tougher to capture. These are castles, so you have to actually break down the door to get inside. Once inside you have to fight off a bunch of champion level mobs and one tough-as-nails hero mob. Beating the hero mob captures the keep, and also initiates a public quest roll for loot (just as if you had participated in a public quest).

Now - keep in mind that even though all these things are staffed by AI, enemy players aren't just going to let you take them. So what typically ends up happening is really fierce battles between players over the keeps (one side attacking, one side defending). The faction which "owns" each keep or BO is easily viewable on the in-game map, as well as the status (whether they are under attack or not).

Think of open-world RvR as a game of "Battlefield" on a really large scale. Often groups will move from zone to zone to capture - or defend - contested keeps and BOs across the game world. 

Ok now that stuff sounds cool.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »

Also keep in mind what YK has described is the Tier 2 open-RvR keep taking.  Tier 3 it gets more complicated and difficult and battles get bigger as well.  By Tier 4 your ultimate goal is to win through and actually take over the enemy's main city.  If one faction manages to do that, they get access to content and rewards only available in their enemy's city.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2008, 02:19:10 AM »

Quote from: Rich on September 26, 2008, 08:40:11 PM

Ok now that stuff sounds cool.

Yes it does, and it reminds me that I have very little clue about what all I'm missing in the game. I didn't even know that stuff was there. I saw that meter or gauge in the top right of the screen, but I didn't know what it was for really.

I basically bought the game blind, only having read positive impressions here.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2008, 03:37:32 AM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=967800
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »

man mythic has some work cut out and they really need to start talking

1)lots and lots of bugs. like a metric ton. it's quite ridiculous. i found out how to cast some spells for 10 RF, basically free. wasn't hard to find this out either.

2)there appears to be a memory leak. things just drop after an hour of play time, if youre lucky.

3)scenarios are just plain broken. many of them it's impossible to get to the point at the same as order. destru will always, ALWAYS get to the objective first. some of the scenarios are bugged like tor anroc that the ball won't damage the first player. combined with destr gets it first. you basically already lost. root and punting are ridiculous in that roots wont broke period. get punted into the lava and youre dead.

4)they need to fix in rvr in that taking and defending a keep means more. they should add a lock down on a keep for an hour or something. more bonus for defending a keep. no one cares because once it's flipped you can just take it back and get more RP than you would've defending. should add like 100 rp per 15 mins defending on top of what you get. also locking this will down will help funnel people fighting and where to go.

5)not enough graphical changes on armor and weapons. loot is vastly all over the place in stats and usually makes no sense. RvR isnt all that great so far.

6)UI settings never stick. cloak will always appear despite being unchecked. you won't stay in custom channels upon logging out. your ignore list or friend list randomly breaks being unable to add anyone to either or the ignore completely gets wiped.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 27, 2008, 10:31:26 PM

1)lots and lots of bugs. like a metric ton. it's quite ridiculous. i found out how to cast some spells for 10 RF, basically free. wasn't hard to find this out either.
I agree totally. Anything involving a slow or trip attack in PvE completely screws up where the client thinks where the mob is, and leaves with unattackable mobs (except via range). And what spells are you talking about (as I'm curious what exactly is going on)?

2)there appears to be a memory leak. things just drop after an hour of play time, if youre lucky.
That is dependent on how much RAM you have installed, as I can play for a few hours before the client blows up. But there is definitely a leak.

3)scenarios are just plain broken. many of them it's impossible to get to the point at the same as order. destru will always, ALWAYS get to the objective first. some of the scenarios are bugged like tor anroc that the ball won't damage the first player. combined with destr gets it first. you basically already lost. root and punting are ridiculous in that roots wont broke period. get punted into the lava and youre dead.
I also agree. The Dwarven T2 for example - Destruction gets a nice, fully enclosed little house they can run into (and have Tanks block off the entrance to) once they get the stone. Order has nothing even remotely close to use on their end.

4)they need to fix in rvr in that taking and defending a keep means more. they should add a lock down on a keep for an hour or something. more bonus for defending a keep. no one cares because once it's flipped you can just take it back and get more RP than you would've defending. should add like 100 rp per 15 mins defending on top of what you get. also locking this will down will help funnel people fighting and where to go.
That makes a lot of sense to do. But the current way they're doing it explains how it took just two of us in T1 to take over all 4 keeps in a 15 minute timespan. It's just so easy to do there. I haven't moved up to T2 territory yet. Plus, who knows how things will go when T4 (and thus, the Capital City) goes into effect.

5)not enough graphical changes on armor and weapons. loot is vastly all over the place in stats and usually makes no sense. RvR isnt all that great so far.
Yeah. Way too many items look the same. And the tinting options, well, suck (at least as my Rune Priest). It makes my robe look like a miscolored mess.

So, yes, the game is a ton of fun, but it has a lot of little bugs all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:36:11 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »

I'm enjoying it, despite the fact that I'm playing at like 10 fps until my new computer arrives (it came once... on its way back to be made right...). Can't wait until I level up for bigger scenarios and the sieges. My current system can barely do PQ and simple scenarios though. I think it would give up on those.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 28, 2008, 12:34:24 AM

Quote from: jersoc on September 27, 2008, 10:31:26 PM

I agree totally. Anything involving a slow or trip attack in PvE completely screws up where the client thinks where the mob is, and leaves with unattackable mobs (except via range). And what spells are you talking about (as I'm curious what exactly is going on)?

That is dependent on how much RAM you have installed, as I can play for a few hours before the client blows up. But there is definitely a leak.

I also agree. The Dwarven T2 for example - Destruction gets a nice, fully enclosed little house they can run into (and have Tanks block off the entrance to) once they get the stone. Order has nothing even remotely close to use on their end.

That makes a lot of sense to do. But the current way they're doing it explains how it took just two of us in T1 to take over all 4 keeps in a 15 minute timespan. It's just so easy to do there. I haven't moved up to T2 territory yet. Plus, who knows how things will go when T4 (and thus, the Capital City) goes into effect.

Yeah. Way too many items look the same. And the tinting options, well, suck (at least as my Rune Priest). It makes my robe look like a miscolored mess.

So, yes, the game is a ton of fun, but it has a lot of little bugs all over the place.

Give them something to work on, and something for us to look forward to. The nature of MMO's..............Haven't played one yet where most of the above problems weren't prevalent.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »

This thread persuaded me to buy the game, Rich's thoughts were also useful to give another side. Never good just to have a all praise for a game.

Enjoying it a lot so far - although so far only played PVE and also PQ's - both of which I have found excellent. The map with quests area is inspired as is the Tome of Knowledge. Not played a MMO where it has been done so well.

My only issue was on performance. I don't have a slow machine AMD 3200, 8800GT, 2GB RAM and till now it has gone through all the standard games with no probs including WIC and Crysis which are notoriously hard on the machines. But I was getting real graphic lag which made play a little difficult to get immersed into.

Anyway

C:\Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning\user
in usersettings.xml
The two lines with Specular and Lightmaps
specular="false" lightmaps="false"

Instead of true - for me this made a huge performance improvement. So if your gameplay is not as smooth as you would like. Well worth trying.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 28, 2008, 01:29:10 PM

This thread persuaded me to buy the game, Rich's thoughts were also useful to give another side. Never good just to have a all praise for a game.

Enjoying it a lot so far - although so far only played PVE and also PQ's - both of which I have found excellent. The map with quests area is inspired as is the Tome of Knowledge. Not played a MMO where it has been done so well.

My only issue was on performance. I don't have a slow machine AMD 3200, 8800GT, 2GB RAM and till now it has gone through all the standard games with no probs including WIC and Crysis which are notoriously hard on the machines. But I was getting real graphic lag which made play a little difficult to get immersed into.

Anyway

C:\Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning\user
in usersettings.xml
The two lines with Specular and Lightmaps
specular="false" lightmaps="false"

Instead of true - for me this made a huge performance improvement. So if your gameplay is not as smooth as you would like. Well worth trying.

Tals

you *have* to try scenarios, Tals...really, its all its said to be...I dont like PvP in other games, but this? woah...so much fun! espeically, since the groups are big, but still small enough that you actually make a differencfe...grouped with a guy from scotland last night, and he had his first Scenario with me, and that sold the game completely on him....

Also, there's nothing quite like it, when you finally get the last blow in on that other toon who's been after you for a while and he goes down, or you can see your heals is keeping the tank from dying, even though there are 4 others trying to beat the crap out of him...so much fun, and so damn intuitive...I think thats really whats making the game so fun..its very easy to understand, though hard to master of course..the trademark of all great games IMO...

A new one
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 26, 2008, 12:28:20 PM

okay, obviosuly we have different game experiences, and no-one can really argue with how peple "feel" about a game :-)

Only,  I want to! ;-) To get to scenarios rvr, you can pretty much do so at lvl 3 and still have a blast!! dont worry, you'll level quickly - I just checked my latest toon at lvl 6, and playtime was almost 2 hours, thats all.... you get a LOT more xp by playing in scenarios, and course, you get the +960 xp for compelting a scenario quest as well each time, so...

also, I havent seen the "lvl 11 steamrolling" very much - I was lvl 5 on my shadowrwarrior, and dominted the damage playfield every time...the trick is, know your class I think...I just have to stay alive, to get to the top and get massive xp

This isnt meant as a "I'm right your wrong" kinda message, just my experiences and perhaps a little help on how to gain levels quickly :-)

Oh, I know and it was a con but not a complaint.  I'm still doing scenarios and other things even at 5-7 but there are level 11 steamrollers.  It's part of the game and staying in the group helps a lot but it's still frustrating getting 2 shot by a class you should be able to take smile  No problem though...because you can't turn off exp there are no twinks and the steamrollers are leveling past 11 and moving on the more they do pvp.  At this point I have probably six classes at 6-7 and have ruled out another 4 or so and deleted them. 

The other issue right now is the damn black screen of death.  My wife's computer is getting this (9600GT, Asus motherboard - basically the worst combination for this to happen).  Right now I'm using RivaTuner and lowered her clock speeds/memory speeds while bumping her fan speed.  This lets her play around 2 hours now before crashing instead of 30-40 minutes.  Lack of official forums really hurts here because I'm not following ten different forums looking for suggestions and developer responses.  And I'm sure not going to RMA a six month card because it crashes one game. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »

Raz - yep plan to try the scenarios - maybe tonight. Just wanted todo some PVE to understand the engine - which it's helping me todo smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 28, 2008, 03:41:06 PM

Quote from: Razgon on September 26, 2008, 12:28:20 PM

okay, obviosuly we have different game experiences, and no-one can really argue with how peple "feel" about a game :-)

Only,  I want to! ;-) To get to scenarios rvr, you can pretty much do so at lvl 3 and still have a blast!! dont worry, you'll level quickly - I just checked my latest toon at lvl 6, and playtime was almost 2 hours, thats all.... you get a LOT more xp by playing in scenarios, and course, you get the +960 xp for compelting a scenario quest as well each time, so...

also, I havent seen the "lvl 11 steamrolling" very much - I was lvl 5 on my shadowrwarrior, and dominted the damage playfield every time...the trick is, know your class I think...I just have to stay alive, to get to the top and get massive xp

This isnt meant as a "I'm right your wrong" kinda message, just my experiences and perhaps a little help on how to gain levels quickly :-)

Oh, I know and it was a con but not a complaint.  I'm still doing scenarios and other things even at 5-7 but there are level 11 steamrollers.  It's part of the game and staying in the group helps a lot but it's still frustrating getting 2 shot by a class you should be able to take smile  No problem though...because you can't turn off exp there are no twinks and the steamrollers are leveling past 11 and moving on the more they do pvp.  At this point I have probably six classes at 6-7 and have ruled out another 4 or so and deleted them. 

The other issue right now is the damn black screen of death.  My wife's computer is getting this (9600GT, Asus motherboard - basically the worst combination for this to happen).  Right now I'm using RivaTuner and lowered her clock speeds/memory speeds while bumping her fan speed.  This lets her play around 2 hours now before crashing instead of 30-40 minutes.  Lack of official forums really hurts here because I'm not following ten different forums looking for suggestions and developer responses.  And I'm sure not going to RMA a six month card because it crashes one game. 

as for forums, try out www.warhammeralliance.com - the devs come there a lot, and its a huge forum, with a tech section as well, might help to try that out :-)

oh, and just wait till you get to lvl 11 ;-)

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 28, 2008, 09:41:08 AM

Give them something to work on, and something for us to look forward to. The nature of MMO's..............Haven't played one yet where most of the above problems weren't prevalent.

I just wish they would release a list of changes coming up and issues they are aware of. I have no clue, nor does anyone, if they are actually doing anything. last week the servers came down every day and there was never any patch til a few days ago. i really enjoy this game, but the bugs and constant memory leak in rvr are getting very old and fast. my computer is way above the recommended specs and rvr will slow down to a crawl after an hour and half.
-----

got an alliance going now and we've been doing great in rvr so far. 8 of us took an entire zone last night, lots of RP and way more fun than a boring static scenario. which is another thing althougher. they need to make rvr more tasty. it's near impossible to get a wb for keeps. we just grab 10 people or so and start out, eventually order will trickle in, but destru never comes. for better or worst i suppose.

the gear is getting slighty more useful at t3 though. i actually had a weapon from rvr that wasn't crap compared to a PQ one. i guess there's purple level items soon for me as well. i just hope they look cool. and man owning zealots and shamans is fun as a WP. they drop so fast and having the rest of the team own the other dps is great.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:23 AM »

OK first day of play impressions

The game is the typical WOW style of MMO. That said it far more easily integrates PVP into the model and whereas with WOW you never felt it was a WAR between races with WAR its all around you.

The scenarios are basically the RVR objectives - in every area there is at least one scenario. In the first one the objective is to hold certain points for a time. The game really comes into its own here. Now you are against human players who are far more difficult than any pve mob. Coordinated group is the thing and for the first time i'm really thinking of where my puny wizard is - place him in the open and a well placed axe takes him down. But hide him out of the way and he helps the tanks do their stuff. Scenario's you have to queue to enter - at the moment the time to get in isn't long but while you wait you just continue questing and public quests - works well.

The game also has rvr in the gamemap - if I reroll I may be tempted to hit a full rvr server as the game just does it so well. As it is I leave rvr flag on - I want to have the rvr around me.

It has some very neat features, LFG always used to frustrate me with its poor implementation. In WAR you have an open party system - basically its a group who are happy to take guests. These flag up if they are in the area and a search tool lets you find and join them - very neat.

Quests because of their representation on the map work really nice. No longer blindly wondering where the quest area is as the area not point is shown on the map with quest objectives when cursoring over it.

Public quests have been mentioned - basically areas where a common objective has to be done. For example in the first one we had to defeat a  warband that had come in, then defend the priest and finally take down an ogre. Very well done.

The Tome which is basically a bible of everything you do adds to the story line as you go - I really need to sit down and have a read of it.

So in a nutshell if you played WOW and enjoyed it but wanted more WAR maybe your thing.

The weird thing is currently the lack of chat - really not a lot goes on, I think its down to the chat interface - its not bad but its not welcoming for chat so its fairly quiet on the human front smile

Now if we could get the Euro's to play at the same time we might have some serious fun in RVR smile

My ingame name on Burok is talsworthy

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2008, 06:41:22 AM »

I'm afraid I've been having way to much fun on my Disciple of Khaine on Mordakhain server, to come back right now...sorry...but, even though its pretty low population, the people there are nice, the pace is nice, and destruction rocks so hard it's not even funny...

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »

Quote from: Rich on September 26, 2008, 11:40:02 AM

As far as the RvR or the group play goes that's all good and fine but a game should be fun getting to that point. 

This really confuses me since 'that point' is as soon as you start the game.  So the menus and character creation should be more fun? slywink  You can rvr literally as soon as you load in with a new character.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »

Quick tips:

The on-screen icon is the group of 3 faces above your chat bar.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 26, 2008, 12:22:42 PM

I hate that there is no official forum.  I really hate that we have to use fan forums that could literally disappear overnight six months from now.

Yeah, DaoC was the same way and I always found it a bit lazy on their part. Official forums are an important part of today's MMOL games in my opinion.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

well, take a look at the current forums, and you'll know why. They dont have to accept the responsibility, since there will always be morons they'll have to clamp down hard on, or watch the forums go to hell - once they do so, idiots will claim "freedom of speech" rights or some such, and the whole thing goes to hell...

Aoc forums was like this...sadly...

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 29, 2008, 06:41:22 AM

I'm afraid I've been having way to much fun on my Disciple of Khaine on Mordakhain server, to come back right now...sorry...but, even though its pretty low population, the people there are nice, the pace is nice, and destruction rocks so hard it's not even funny...

The problem is that Destruction rocks SO hard, they have a near-lock on pretty much every server. There's some that I've seen that have Destruction 'winning' almost every Tier of every race (you pull up the map and see Destruction symbols next to every teir).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

So I had the opportunity to play quite a bit more this weekend, and continue to love the game.  A big reason for that comes down to two things.  First, I love the classes.  There are quite a few on both sides that I really, really enjoy playing.  Second, I am really into the atmosphere and Tome of Knowledge.  I play the game with my brother, and two very good friends.  Out of the 4 of us, noone gives a rat's ass about the Tome and Lore but me.  I think I'm the odd-man-out there.

I am still finding (and I admit I'm low level still, so this could change) that the team with the most tanks seems to do very well in scenarios.  I wonder if that's just something I'm seeing as coincidence, or if there is a logical reason of that being the case.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »

On my server Order seems to have a LOT of Engineers (is that what they are called).  Popped into a scenario where Order had 7 Engs, they got creamed.  All day yesterday every scenario Order had at least 3 of these guys. Hopefully the love fest for Eng will slow so the scenarios are more competitive

One thing I hate about their turrets is that once they target you they can shoot through walls....i think that needs to be fixed.

I truly enjoyed reading the graphic novel/comic that came with the CE, makes the game much more immersive adn then the Tomb just adds to it when I take the time to slow down and read
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 29, 2008, 10:50:50 AM

Quick tips:

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that (and to Fez who also mentioned it).  It just emphasizes what a poor job they did on the UI.  Maybe I'm critical because of my job, but UI 101: Consistency appears to be a class that somebody at Mythic forgot to take.  I could go on and on about the UI but I'll spare you guys this time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »

Quote from: Butterknife on September 29, 2008, 08:21:18 PM

Quick tips:

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that (and to Fez who also mentioned it).  It just emphasizes what a poor job they did on the UI.  Maybe I'm critical because of my job, but UI 101: Consistency appears to be a class that somebody at Mythic forgot to take.  I could go on and on about the UI but I'll spare you guys this time.

Yet this shows the fundamental difficulty in designing a UI.  I find the UI to be very easy to use, very nice looking and very functional.  I have no need to UI mods as everything I want to do I can do easily with the default UI.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 29, 2008, 10:34:17 PM

Quick tips:

Yet this shows the fundamental difficulty in designing a UI.  I find the UI to be very easy to use, very nice looking and very functional.  I have no need to UI mods as everything I want to do I can do easily with the default UI.

You're just begging me to give you a lecture on UI design, aren't you?  Must ... resist ...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2008, 05:27:34 AM »

Quote from: Butterknife on September 29, 2008, 10:45:25 PM

Quote from: Arkon on September 29, 2008, 10:34:17 PM

Quick tips:

You're just begging me to give you a lecture on UI design, aren't you?  Must ... resist ...

I really don't care what some textbook says about UI design.  For me the UI on WAR works and it works well.  There always are and always will be debate about the UI of any game out there because it is a very subjective issue.  UIs that other folks like, I absolutely abhor at times, and UIs that folks don't like I seem to find very functional.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2008, 05:55:41 AM »

Argh, it looks like the storyline section of my Tome is completely bugged.  When I pull up the tab that lists all the chapters, ch. 1-3 simply aren't there, and the only thing unlocked after that is the first warcamp, even though I just got to ch. 5, and the first page of the Tome shows entries from ch. 4 unlocked.  When I click on one of those, it goes to the chapter entry, except the pages are blank.  If I page back, I can get to ch. 1, but the pages continue to be blank, and the heading at the top says "Greenskin Storyline" (I'm chaos). 

Generally annoying, since I actually like reading the tome entries.  Doubly so since I'm forcing myself to play a Magus for some godforsaken reason, and they're just not a good class, so my nights are generally pretty frustrating.  I should just give in and go roll a shaman like all the cool kids.  I just hate not seeing any maguses, and I know that at some point soon, they're going to get a nasty buff and start melting faces, and damn it, I want to be one of the only high level maguses around.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: