http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which MMO is most casual-friendly?  (Read 4719 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »

I don't have a great deal of time to commit to MMOs but I love to play them, in fact they're probably my favourite type of game.  I've played Guild Wars to death and wasn't especially impressed with WoW when I tried it for a couple of months.  I've been looking at Warhammer and LOTRO, are either of these suitable for quick sessions?  Or failing that, anything else?  Should I give WoW another try (added advantage of already having the game so wouldn't have to buy anything)?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

The MMORPG that usually gets described as casual friendly the most out of the current generation is LOTRO. It's well suited to short bursts of play. Even most group instances only take about 15 minutes to complete.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »

I don't think they can get much more casual than WoW.  I've had an awful lot of fun over the years without having to get absorbed into raiding.  There's some neat stuff in the new patch, so maybe you should give it another trial before investing in a new game?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on October 18, 2008, 10:48:46 AM

I don't think they can get much more casual than WoW.  I've had an awful lot of fun over the years without having to get absorbed into raiding.  There's some neat stuff in the new patch, so maybe you should give it another trial before investing in a new game?

WoW is the kind of MMORPG that initially appeals to casual players, then gradually punishes them more and more for staying casual. It's one of the biggest reasons I would strongly suggest you don't play WoW if your expectation is to avoid hardcore gaming.

I don't remember the exact figure, but I think Blizzard has said something to the effect of them considering any player who plays 20 hours or less a week as casual. That says a lot to me.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »

I definitely fit in the casual gamer variety. Warhammer does suit this as scenarios are 10 mins and public quests are around that time as well

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »

Like has been said WoW starts off catering to casuals then ramps it up very steeply to hard core or be bored silly.

So far(at level 30+) I'm finding Warhammer very casual friendly. But I will also add that Warhammer for me is a MMO that really shines when you belong to a good guild.

Things are so accessable in Warhammer. And the moment you drop into the game world you realize that. You can start enjoying all the content(of course at varying levels) right off the bat.

You can do PQ's, scenarios, open RvR, questing...etc......without the need to raid for a week to get one rotten item.

Warhammer isn't perfect...but for a casual lover of MMO's its pretty darn close.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on October 18, 2008, 10:48:46 AM

I don't think they can get much more casual than WoW. 

The Realm

You can solo as much as you want, but also fight in groups or join a guild.  There's a sizeable area to explore, numerous dungeons, player crafting, player housing, custom hybrid classes, multiple races.  It's got everything but modern graphics!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »

My vote is for City of Heroes, but what does "casual" mean, anyway?

Playing time wise, if a game's designed for you to really get addicted to it, the chances you'll resist playing more than an hour a day are slim.  confused I do know some folks who'll play City of Heroes, LOTRO or something else only one night a week with a set group of people. They just consider it their MMO Night and don't play beyond that.

If it means, "Can I level like a maniac even if I don't get to play much," the now much maligned Age of Conan is by far the fastest leveling MMO I ever played -- I had a level 80+ character in 2 months for crying out loud.  saywhat And if you play it just now and then, you probably won't complain about the lack of content as I did, because I played it way too much while I was in it.

If it means, "enjoy it even if you have no idea what you're doing," any MMO can provide that, but chances are most of your teammates won't like you -- as I found in my early going in City of Heroes back in 2004.  icon_razz Probably the first 3 times I grouped in that I had people yelling at me in chat, but I had no idea what "aggro" meant, or the various MMO roles that veterans have ingrained in their brains.

I love LOTRO (I just changed my GT avatar to my hunters' face icon_smile), but I don't know how Casual Friendly it is, since so many quest descriptions are purposely vague and leave new players constantly pleading for help in Advice and OOC channels. Heck, I'm a veteran player and I spend half my time doing that, and looking up database sites on my netbook. I still love it, I just don't know if a casual player would want to deal with all that, I would think casual players would want easy-to-find quest objectives (AoC again, is good on that, even if it's a mess in most other ways), clearly marked, and *poof* move on to the next thing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:31:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

My thoughts after playing quite a few of the MMOs available on the market:

World of Warcraft: Very casual friendly, but turns into an utter raid and grind fest as you work your way up in the levels. Grind faction, grind crafting skills, grind experience, and raid, raid, raid, raid, and raid.

City of Heroes: So-so on the casual thing, but keep in mind that once you've seen a few 'dungeons' (where you go to do all your missions), you've seen them all. Player variety is absolutely fantastic though (the costume creator is amazing), and some classes are quite soloable.

Everquest 2: Quite casual friendly, and for the most part the core game has changed around enough that it's very soloable with certain classes (and mostly soloable with the rest). The playerbase (what remains) is generally friendly too. Game still looks great, but the engine itself is in dire need of an upgrade so it stops using your processor 100% of the time to render graphics (instead of your much more powerful graphic card).

Warhammer Online: The devs have done a lot to make drop-in and drop-out gameplay their number one thing, but you'll want to look for friends to play along with for the most part. Pretty casual friendly as well from what I've played.

Lord of the Rings Online: The game seemed casual enough when I played it, but I wasn't drawn into the world that much (but I also never liked the books). One thing I did know is that you couldn't do the 'book quests' (the main storyarcs of the game) without a full group.

Vanguard: While I haven't touched the game much lately, I do know this from my time playing - the game is an easier Everquest 1. In short, not really that casual. You'll want a serious group to do much in the game. It does look nice though.

Conan: Boobies! I didn't really get out of my trial period with this one, as the game took a nosedive once you got out of the 'solo starter area'.

Pretty much all of these MMOs have a 10-day trial (or some amount), so go look them up and get your feet wet.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »

Thanks very much for all the input so far, guys.

I agree with the comments made about WoW not being very casual-friendly.  In the month or so that I played I got to level 20-something and found that it had become a grind.  Boring.  And to be honest I didn't think it was a very good game anyway.

It still looks like it's between Warhammer and LOTRO but currently I'm edging toward Warhammer.  I can't find a trial of it anywhere though, can anyone help here?  I will also download the LOTRO trial overnight tonight and see what all the fuss is about.

Any more opinions are welcome!

Steam profile
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

No trial for War atm i'm afraid.

Personally i didn't enjoy LOTRO at all. EQ2 and WoW are the only 2 that have managed to hold my attention for any lengthy of time with EQ2 being my personal favourite.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »

I attempted to play a trial of EQ2 but the absolutely horrible client made a complete mess of patching itself and after letting it run for 24 hours solid - twice - I gave up in disgust.

Oh well, if there's no trial for Warhammer I'll have to dive into the LOTRO trial.

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2008, 02:59:03 PM

I attempted to play a trial of EQ2 but the absolutely horrible client made a complete mess of patching itself and after letting it run for 24 hours solid - twice - I gave up in disgust.

Oh well, if there's no trial for Warhammer I'll have to dive into the LOTRO trial.

hold on! according the mythics own developers, there IS a free trial, right here:

http://www.igames.org/

appearently, its through events that this place hosts...

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »

Ah yes, I read about that - from what I gathered they allow you to play the full game at one of their events.  Their UK centres are miles away from me though, I'm not quite that interested! smile

Thanks for digging that out though.

Steam profile
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 04:07:49 PM »

I think some are remembering WoW before the Xp upgrade.  I have had an account since launch but my highest character is only 64 and that only due to the XP changes.

That said I don't think WoW becomes a grind fest until level 60 or so, at least not now.  I have leveled one of each Horde to at least 40 since the big XP changes and it was a lot of fun.  Most of the world is not jammed with other players so I could literally go anywhere or do any quest in any way I wanted and now with mounts at 30 it should be even more casual friendly.  This does mean you will not do most instances at the appropriate level.

At 60 though leveling slows wayyyyy down and it has now made me feel like a grind. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »

CoX in it's current iteration gets my vote, especially with the new linked xp feature combined with the old sidekicking and mentoring.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2008, 02:59:03 PM

Yeah, the 'patcher' in EQ2 is absolutely terrible. Especially if you're trying to download the entire game (which is what you're doing). From what I've heard, if you grab the Station Launcher, you'll have a MUCH easier time grabbing the trial (along with any other Station based purchases/trials).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »

Oh right, I might do that then.  I'm a bit worried about the playerbase though, I'm surprised the game has lasted this long.  Do many play?

Steam profile
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »

Yep plenty of action on the EU servers if thats where you are playing. Also they just upped the xp rate so plenty of low levels playing new toons.

ALso get the eq2 map updater if you try it. Works a bit like the quest helper in wow or warhammer showiong you p[alces of interest and quest locations making it a lot quicker.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2008, 09:35:09 PM

Oh right, I might do that then.  I'm a bit worried about the playerbase though, I'm surprised the game has lasted this long.  Do many play?

I still see plenty of players playing EQ2. And I'm not on that busy of a server, either. While it won't approach WoW's playerbase, there's enough to get you going. And with the ability for anybody higher level than you to mentor down to your level, there can be people to play with you if they choose to do so.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 01:57:36 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 18, 2008, 04:07:49 PM

I think some are remembering WoW before the Xp upgrade.  I have had an account since launch but my highest character is only 64 and that only due to the XP changes.

That said I don't think WoW becomes a grind fest until level 60 or so, at least not now.  I have leveled one of each Horde to at least 40 since the big XP changes and it was a lot of fun.  Most of the world is not jammed with other players so I could literally go anywhere or do any quest in any way I wanted and now with mounts at 30 it should be even more casual friendly.  This does mean you will not do most instances at the appropriate level.

At 60 though leveling slows wayyyyy down and it has now made me feel like a grind. 

With 3.0.2, they also cut down experience requirement from level 60-70 by 30% like what they did with 1-60. But they don't cut 30% off the exp table like what they did with the 1-60, they decided to weight the cut more to the lower level than higher so you get much higher than 30% cut at level 60-61 but less than that at 69-70.

Since I don't feel like WOW 60-70 was grinding, with the current 3.0.2 patch it became more casual.

60-61 - was 494000 now 290000 Reduced 41%
61-62 - was 574700 now 317000 Reduced 45%
62-63 - was 614400 now 349000 Reduced 43%
63-64 - was 650300 now 386000 Reduced 43%
64-65 - was 682300 now 428000 Reduced 37%
65-66 - was 701200 now 475000 Reduced 32%
66-67 - was 734100 now 527000 Reduced 28%
67-68 - was 753700 now 585000 Reduced 22%
68-69 - was 768900 now 648000 Reduced 15%
69-70 - was 779700 now 717000 Reduced 8%
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:59:45 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »

Uh, I'm not sure why people are discussing the amount of XP per level here. That isn't what defines a casual game. It's casual if you can boot it up, play for 30 minutes or so, and make real actual progress while having fun. My experience with WoW is that it at an early stage heavily encourages you to go through instances that take 5-6 hours for new players to finish, and over time the importance of these instances is emphasized more and more.

Compare that to LOTRO (which is a good comparison since the two games share many gameplay mechanics) where there are very few long instances, and they rarely if ever last more than 2-3 hours anyway, and don't offer loot that's substantially better than what you can get in other ways (while having fun). Even the endgame in LOTRO isn't focused on instances in any way. The gameplay remains roughly the same throughout the entire game, whereas WoW not-so-gently pushes you towards doing content that takes a lot more time and effort.

XP isn't a factor in this. From what I remember, there were enough quests in WoW that you never needed to grind anyway.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »

Well, after leaving the download running overnight, this morning I find that the LOTRO trial file was corrupt.  finger

Sod it, it's only about 8 on play.com (bless 'em, once again) so I'll just buy it.  8 is worth one month in the game even if I don't stick with it.

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2008, 09:28:36 AM

Well, after leaving the download running overnight, this morning I find that the LOTRO trial file was corrupt.  finger

Sod it, it's only about 8 on play.com (bless 'em, once again) so I'll just buy it.  8 is worth one month in the game even if I don't stick with it.

Warhammer - number of additional reasons for this. IMHO most MMORPGs are terrible if you are a solo player looking for a group. Warhammer turns this on it's head. Rather than looking for a group you have groups that you can invite yourself into. if non are around you can create a group like this of 1 that others can join in. Then the PQ mechanic actually encourages people to link up in a group to take on the combined challenge. For me these alone are big deals. I like grouping up but because of my playtime I can't schedule in get togethers.

Tals

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

I think you might just want to try both LOTRO and Warhammer. While I haven't tried Warhammer myself, I believe it's so different from LOTRO that they can hardly even be called the same genre. What is most fun to you is entirely up to personal preference.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »

Warhammer is defintely best for grouping, i've never had as many invites to groups as i ge tin War, add to this open groups and even if you need a group you can generally get one.

8 for lotro is a bargain, i mean 1 month of play at that price is a bargain.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »

Tals, that sounds quite similar to the way Guild Wars works.  Or rather, worked - thanks to the addition of heroes ANet managed to completely kill off the social aspect of the game.  It's a major reason I stopped playing.

Warhammer absolutely sounds intriguing though.  However, since it's new it's still full price and without any way to try before I buy, I think LOTRO makes more sense at the moment.  Hell, even if it doesn't end up being what I'm looking for, the sheer newness of a MMO I haven't played before will probably keep me going for a few months.  I've been reading the Wiki this morning and planning my first character. smile
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:48:55 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Steam profile
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »

Uh, I'm not sure why people are discussing the amount of XP per level here. That isn't what defines a casual game. It's casual if you can boot it up, play for 30 minutes or so, and make real actual progress while having fun. My experience with WoW is that it at an early stage heavily encourages you to go through instances that take 5-6 hours for new players to finish, and over time the importance of these instances is emphasized more and more.

I'd say that's a very misleading assessment.  The only instances in WoW that take 5-6 hours are the raids, which have their progress saved (refreshed every week) so a group can break it into smaller chunks.  All other instances can be completed in under 2-2.5 hours for a slow or inexperienced group and under an hour for a well-geared, knowledgeable group.  Not to mention that running instances is only one type of endgame play; people often do either variety of PvP, run dailies, play the auction house, or just sit and socialize.  All of which is moot, because if 30 minutes at a time is a significant investment for you as a player, you're never going to hit the max level anyway.  So you don't even have to worry about "grinding" endgame activities, because you can busy yourself exploring the world and running quests.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »

I agree with Scuba.  With my current level 64 I think ran Wailing Caverns 3 times mostly because I was asked and the intro instance in Org once or twice.  WC can be done in under 2.5 hours with a group that knows just a little.  Since those I never did an instance except when I went back at 50 and a couple solo just to see them.  And i had a blast leveling...until I hit 63, then it was and is glacial.  Haven't played since the patch because i dread having to delete and reload all my add-ons.....that is daunting.

i think the biggest negative about WoW instances is that now there is only one "approved" way of doing any instance and few have any patience to do anything different which then makes the instance not fun but just something to get through.

I am starting to see the same mentality in Warhammer scenarios.  I would love to be in a group where we used that path around the fortress to do a come from behind ambush but alas I don't think there is much chance of that.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on October 19, 2008, 02:25:26 PM

I'd say that's a very misleading assessment.  The only instances in WoW that take 5-6 hours are the raids, which have their progress saved (refreshed every week) so a group can break it into smaller chunks.  All other instances can be completed in under 2-2.5 hours for a slow or inexperienced group and under an hour for a well-geared, knowledgeable group.  Not to mention that running instances is only one type of endgame play; people often do either variety of PvP, run dailies, play the auction house, or just sit and socialize.  All of which is moot, because if 30 minutes at a time is a significant investment for you as a player, you're never going to hit the max level anyway.  So you don't even have to worry about "grinding" endgame activities, because you can busy yourself exploring the world and running quests.

Granted, it's been a while since I played WoW, but I remember stuff like the Wailing Caverns taking the time I mentioned above. Jaddison says a group that knows what it's doing will get through it in 2.5 hours. If you're a casual gamer, you probably won't be able to get close to that, unless you're in a group of hardcore gamers (which makes it less likely they'd invite you in the first place). The argument "if you know what you're doing" is often a valid one, but not in the context of casual gaming.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »

Having done one of every Horde to at least 40 over the last 6 months I can tell you with near certainty that if you get a group together for WC most of the people will be leveling alts.  I think it unlikely that you would find a group where everyone is new to WoW.  Not only that but just a little bit of research into how to make some gold and you could probably pay someone to take you through if all you want is the gear.

But you could skip WC and still level quickly.  WoW does have the distinction of having multiple areas to level your character for the different level ranges.  With mounts at 30 I would say WoW is as newbie friendly and with a vast world with multiple areas of same level range as any game out there.  The down side is that if you want to anything more than see the game world after you hit the mid-60s you really have to invest significant chunks of time.

During my alt whore leveling craze I could sit down for 30 minutes and accomplish a lot in WoW all the way up to 60.  You don't need to worry about leveling crafting and you can auction your gathering materials to make a decent sum of gold for next to no effort.  That sounds casual friendly to me.  That said I think I am ending my WoW days for now and spending my $ on Warhammer and LOTRO.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 19, 2008, 03:22:07 PM

i think the biggest negative about WoW instances is that now there is only one "approved" way of doing any instance and few have any patience to do anything different which then makes the instance not fun but just something to get through.

I am starting to see the same mentality in Warhammer scenarios.  I would love to be in a group where we used that path around the fortress to do a come from behind ambush but alas I don't think there is much chance of that.

This is one of the major things that turned me off of WoW's endgame a couple years ago and it is already turning me off or Warhammer's scenarios even though it's only been out a month.  People who run those things all day long expect everyone to know exactly what every class should be doing all the time.  As a more casual player I just want to waste a half hour running a couple scenarios I haven't done before, but end up getting yelled at by some dickhead who makes me not want to play those any more.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2008, 12:42:30 PM

Tals, that sounds quite similar to the way Guild Wars works.  Or rather, worked - thanks to the addition of heroes ANet managed to completely kill off the social aspect of the game.  It's a major reason I stopped playing.

Warhammer absolutely sounds intriguing though.  However, since it's new it's still full price and without any way to try before I buy, I think LOTRO makes more sense at the moment.  Hell, even if it doesn't end up being what I'm looking for, the sheer newness of a MMO I haven't played before will probably keep me going for a few months.  I've been reading the Wiki this morning and planning my first character. smile

You're love LOTRO - I loved the music implementation - ingenious.

Tals

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

Yeah, I've been reading about it all day and the websites I've seen - plus the comments in this thread - have been very encouraging.  I'm really looking forward to playing it now.

Steam profile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 19, 2008, 06:08:46 PM

Quote from: Jaddison on October 19, 2008, 03:22:07 PM

This is one of the major things that turned me off of WoW's endgame a couple years ago and it is already turning me off or Warhammer's scenarios even though it's only been out a month.  People who run those things all day long expect everyone to know exactly what every class should be doing all the time.  As a more casual player I just want to waste a half hour running a couple scenarios I haven't done before, but end up getting yelled at by some dickhead who makes me not want to play those any more.

Yeah, always been my turn-off to the "elite PvP crowd".
There is no middle ground with some people........I play most MMO's in the middle ground realm.
So screw em if they don't think I'm good enough........My wife and kids love me...  icon_smile

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 19, 2008, 09:06:04 AM

I definitely consider myself "casual"... I just got into WoW this year, and I have yet to do an instance other than Deadmines.  Sure, if you want the phat lewt, you need to do them, but I'm level 45, put in nearly 100 hours (over 6 months), and there's plenty to do that doesn't require a several hour committment.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 12:40:22 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 18, 2008, 02:23:50 PM

My thoughts after playing quite a few of the MMOs available on the market:

World of Warcraft: Very casual friendly, but turns into an utter raid and grind fest as you work your way up in the levels. Grind faction, grind crafting skills, grind experience, and raid, raid, raid, raid, and raid.

You can level from 1 to 70 in WoW without ever "grinding" experince (as in killing mobs for the sole purpose of gaining exps), faction, or craftings skills and without every having to group with a single person. Not sure what game you are talking about.

It only turns into something else when you reach the level cap and do all the remaining 70th level single-person quests available. Then is when its "over" in terms of being forced to "grind" anything in order to have something to do.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 04:25:19 AM »

Quote from: Laner on October 20, 2008, 12:39:17 AM

I definitely consider myself "casual"... I just got into WoW this year, and I have yet to do an instance other than Deadmines.  Sure, if you want the phat lewt, you need to do them, but I'm level 45, put in nearly 100 hours (over 6 months), and there's plenty to do that doesn't require a several hour committment.

This is true, which is why I didn't say that WoW forces you to go hardcore. You're always free to remain casual, but you get punished hard for it by not being anywhere near competitive, and certainly not in the ballpark where Blizzard expects its players to be. This is one of the main differences between WoW and LOTRO, for example. In LOTRO, you have the freedom of going solo pretty much the entire way through your career and still have as good, or nearly as good, equipment as the hardcore raiders (by doing different kinds of casual challenges like the epic story quests). Or you could focus on PvP and get different, but just as good equipment. Or you could go do regular group instances all day long and get your equipment through a different way. Or hell, you can even save up money and go buy it at the auction hall. The point is, LOTRO doesn't force you into doing one specific thing in order to be among the "best". This doesn't appeal to hardcore raiders, who often seem to do what they do just to enlarge their e-penis, but it appeals a lot to most casual gamers. Which is what this thread is about, after all. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 06:42:14 AM »

aahh - I love "pimp my MMO" threads... ;-)

Anyways, I solo most of the time, in Warhammer, so its not only possible, its easy. The first 14 levels are very fast, and also casual friendly. You can level to rank 5 in about 1-2 hours, giving you a feel for the class.

There are 26 classes, which can be explored, with 6 different starting areas, so plenty of stuff to explore.

Although a lot of the game is PvP centric, I havent really (at the lower levels where I am with all my 26 alts) had a great need for grouping, and if you need it, its so easy, due to the open groups.

So, all in all, my "Pimp-your-game" is totally going to be Warhammer! its fun!

A new one
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 07:52:06 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 20, 2008, 04:25:19 AM

Quote from: Laner on October 20, 2008, 12:39:17 AM

This is true, which is why I didn't say that WoW forces you to go hardcore. You're always free to remain casual, but you get punished hard for it by not being anywhere near competitive, and certainly not in the ballpark where Blizzard expects its players to be. This is one of the main differences between WoW and LOTRO, for example. In LOTRO, you have the freedom of going solo pretty much the entire way through your career and still have as good, or nearly as good, equipment as the hardcore raiders (by doing different kinds of casual challenges like the epic story quests). Or you could focus on PvP and get different, but just as good equipment. Or you could go do regular group instances all day long and get your equipment through a different way. Or hell, you can even save up money and go buy it at the auction hall. The point is, LOTRO doesn't force you into doing one specific thing in order to be among the "best". This doesn't appeal to hardcore raiders, who often seem to do what they do just to enlarge their e-penis, but it appeals a lot to most casual gamers. Which is what this thread is about, after all. smile

In WoW, you can easily solo to level 70 and then craft, PvP, or 5-man instance your way to gear that's not that much worse than that of end-game 25-man raiders.  It's really grindy, but what MMO isn't?  Warhammer does everything I enjoyed in WoW better, though.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: