http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:22:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Game to Get?  (Read 1876 times)
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »

My wife has started a new job where she is traveling 4 days a week.  This give me Sunday Nights (sometimes), Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights where I am home by myself.

I have never played a Massive Multiplayer Online Game before (except the fact that I ran a MUD for about 4 years) and am thinking about getting into one of them

What I can say is that I enjoy Fantasy and Comic Books more than SciFi.

So I guess my first considerations would be WoW, EQ2 and COH?

Then to take it further... I would probably play solo 90% of the time.  Even when I ran the MUD, I was a solo type of player. I do not like to have to wait for others to form the perfect group, etc.. I just want to go go go.

So one that favors Soloing and would allow me to just log on for an hour a night or so would be the best for me.  I also do not want to spend too much on monthy costs..  Definately nothing over $20/month.  $15/month or less would be ideal for me.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 06:10:48 PM »

Guild Wars.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »

If you do not want any subscription fee's then guild wars is the best choice.  If you go and get a pre-order box you can play it on the upcoming beta weekend april 15th - 17th.  Pre-order box is $10 at BestBuy and you get a code to invite a friend to the beta weekends.

WoW is solo friendly to a point.  You wont be doing any instance dungeons by yourself, groups can be pretty easy to find.  Draw back on this is a monthly fee to play.

EQ2 is not solo friendly.  You need groups to do more than the simplest of quests.  It has a pretty complex crafting system setup, certain crafted items are required to "level" up your skills.  You can craft them or buy them from some one.

COH.  Havent played this one.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 06:33:56 PM »

I'd say WoW without a doubt.  I've played up to 30 with more than a few characters just soloing, so that's doable.  Plus the quests are, for the most part, well designed to be nice hour or 2 sized chunks.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 02:21:17 AM »

It's really a matter of figuring out the flavors you have to choose from and then selecting one.

Guild Wars:  As far as I know it's the only one that does not require a monthly fee to play.  It is not as deep or complex as the others because the zones are instanced.  The good:  As the zones are instanced you are the only PC "heroes" in the instance.  Also, they have designed it so that each NPC will react appropriately depending on what all party members have done.  Therefore, if someone in the party has met important NPC X and killed him, then NPC X will not be in the instance.  During character creation you can make a character starting at level 1 or at the top level so far, level 20 for PK arena battles ("Guild Wars").

WoW:  Easy to get into, and more rapid leveling than Everquest 2.  Graphics are fun and whimsical, a bit cartoony in a way.  Crafting is extremely simplified, but fun.  You have to specifically choose the crafting professions you want and are limited.  Runs pretty smoothly on current machines.  Also, you have the option to play on PK servers which means you can be attacked indiscriminately by other players, or on regular servers, where someone has to be flagged first before you can attack them.  However, after leveling a character or 2 to upper levels I did get a little bored.  It didn't seem to be quite as deep as Everquest 2 and it wasn't quite as challenging.  Among other things, this leads to a lot of people soloing in the game, and sometimes it's a challenge to find groups except for those times you venture into "dungeon" areas or quest encounters that pretty much require a group.  So, in some ways it isn't as social as EQ2.  Also, WoW does not nearly update the game as much as Everquest 2, which is constantly, for better or worse, trying to improve aspects of the game.  One bonus is no zones, although there can be significant lag in the city areas or areas of congestion.

EQ2:  Requires high-end machine.  Graphics are probably the best out of all the games out right now, although some people might prefer the more fantasy graphics in WoW or other games, or the pretty hot female models in other games like Lineage 2 or Guild Wars.  It does require more grouping, and thus there is much more social contact going on.  Guilds are really great to help out with quests, and you feel a greater sense of accomplishment when you complete quests than in any other games.  However, this is also a drawback because it takes more time, and is more hard-core.  The developers are currently adding patch content very frequently, and are working hard at adding in more soloability to the game in the future.  It should be interesting to see how that progresses.  There are zones in EQ2, but lag is very minimal at this time on a decent machine.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:24:20 AM »

Finally, COH is a fun game for a month or 2, but the higher end content wasn't all that appealing in the long run.  For some reason, it just seemed like a lot more of the same, even more so than other MMORPGs.  The graphics were really neat at the beginning however, and if you like the superhero plotlines, it might be the right choice for you.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 01:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "Fez"
Finally, COH is a fun game for a month or 2, but the higher end content wasn't all that appealing in the long run.  For some reason, it just seemed like a lot more of the same, even more so than other MMORPGs.  The graphics were really neat at the beginning however, and if you like the superhero plotlines, it might be the right choice for you.

Yeah, that's about how I felt about CoH.  It was awesome for the first 20 levels and the first few alts, but after that point it really slows down a lot, and soloing can be much more difficult... still possible, but difficult.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 04:05:02 PM »

If you have a really high end machine and don't mind the occasional grouping then consider EQ2.  By high end I would recommend at least a Geforce 6xxx series card, 1GB of memory, 2 ghz+ processor and a 7200rpm hard drive.  It is not as solo friendly but it reminds me a lot more than any other of the "classic" fantasy RPGs.  EQ2 is a lot more detailed with a massively different crafting system.  It's not as friendly to the casual gamer (30 mins here, 15 mins there) but can be very rewarding if you have the time.

The most solo friendly right now appears to be World of Warcraft.  I know of people who have gone all the way to level 60 without ever grouping.  Pick up groups are easy though when you need them and even an average guild will help out a little.  WoW is a lot less computer intensive but has graphics to match (I fondly remember the time when it was supposed to be cutting edge with realistic graphics...some of the screenshots of the art blew me away).  I had some trouble adjusting to them after playing EQ2 but don't even notice them now...and love a lot of it.  My current game of choice.

Both have monthly fees but I believe you get what you pay for.  Running a MMOG is extremely expensive with massive amounts of hardware and bandwidth required not to mention paying for development and future content.  

Remember both have 30 day free trials once you purchase the game.  And both EQ2 and WoW have "buddy" keys to allow a free trial of 7-10 days.  EQ2 also has a demo you can download to try out though it's not a good representation because it's a tiny part of the main world.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 05:01:36 PM »

EQ2.  As a player of all 3 of the games you listed i can tell you that each of them have about the same ammount of solo content.  Eq2 also happens to have the most Grouped or Raid content of the bunch.... infact EQ 2 hands down wins in the content dept.  

My order of preference would be:
EQ2
COH
Guild Wars
Pong
WoW

AttA
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »

Before I started this thread, I did not even know that Guild Wars existed.

I really like the idea of it being geared towards soloing and the fact that there is no subscription fee to it makes it that much better.  Especially since I know myself and I tend to have periods where I take a few weeks off between gaming.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 06:34:47 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"

My order of preference would be:
EQ2
COH
Guild Wars
Pong
WoW

I know that I find humor in the simplest things, but this made me crack up.

LD    biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 11:45:38 PM »

Guild wars is NOT geared toward soloing.  The instances you go into require a group to be able to complete it.  If you cannot find players for a group you can "rent" NPC's to fill positions.  You can only have one type of an NPC rented at a time.  The available NPC's are limited sometimes to only certain classes being available; for instance only 3 NPC's in an area.  The NPC's are only so good since they are AI.  In my limited beta experience the healers were pretty good at thier role, other types only so-so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: