http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your top MMO in 2009?  (Read 1769 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

for me it'd have to be Warhammer Online that got the most playtime.  I'm sure WoW will get the most votes since it's the most widely played but it will be interesting to see what ya'll played the most this year.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »

I guess Champions Online. That's not a resounding endorsement or anything. I played it a little bit and pretty much nothing else.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

WoW

I had extended stays in WAR, LOTRO (what I'm currently playing), EQ2 and a few others, but for the year it was WoW.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »

Well I played COH casually for a good three months or so after the architect stuff came out.  Didn't bother with Champions Online.  Played a little Warahammer as well at the begining of the year but it just failed to grab me.  Currently, I am participating in the EQ2 revival and I did play on a PVP server at the begining of the year as well.  Hmm I don't know what to think.  I guess mine would be a toss up between COH and EQ2 which are both 4+ years old If I am not mistaken.  Honestly though I am pretty much done with genre except for the occasional revisit to an older game.  New baby this year just doens't equate to MMORPG gaming. 

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

Out of playtime, I'd have to choose Champions Online. Problem is is that I've become tired of the game after 3 months of my 6 month sub. Too many core problems (the devs seem to be incompetent and QA seems nonexistant) and no reason to play the game after you've beaten it once (because you've seen 95% of the game's content on your first playthrough).

Frankly, I think I'd have to go with Everquest 2. I keep turning on and off my subscription, but I always want to go back to the game every few months. Can't quite figure out why it keeps drawing me back, but I never leave in disgust (like I did with WO, AoC, WoW, etc).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

Aion, hands down.  wish I could still afford it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »

Definitely WAR.  In spite of the flaws and late game issues I had with it, I still think it was a very decent MMO and I had a lot of fun while it lasted.  Scenarios were by far my most favorite part of the game, and the pacing and gameplay variety in T1 into T2 were just about perfect.  Unfortunately it seemed like T3 and T4 were just slowed down versions of T3 and T4, and then a completely different group of designers created the endgame content, both PvE and PvP, to make it grindy and inaccessible to the casual player. 
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

I spent the most time playing Champions, but only because I knew it would be one I could 'finish up' before I move on to something meatier. My MMOG of 2009 is easily Fallen Earth.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »

I'm lifetime on LOTRO and started play semi-regularly again. That's about it for me.

I know. Call me "The Grinch." STO and SWTOR will have their work cut out getting jaundiced MMO fans (maybe I'm not one anymore?) like me excited about the category again. icon_neutral

I'm putting my ensuing prattling on in spoilers so you can ignore me if you'd prefer.  icon_smile
Spoiler for Hiden:
No MMO caught my fancy in 2009. I was disappointed with Champions in late beta and never bought it. I re-visited a while back, and nothing much had changed imho. Opinions vary, and I do have a couple buds from other MMOs who like it. It's just, I remember all the early hand wringing about "Champions is just gonna be CoX with prettier graphics" -- my experience was more "aside from travel powers, this game has none of what I liked in CoX at all." Since most of the CoX Cryptic is still at NCSoft's Paragon Studios, I guess that makes sense.

Never tried Aion. I might try a trial some day, but nothing I read suggests it'd be my cup of cranky tea. I'm disappointed that NCSoft appears to have put all its eggs into the Aion basket, and I'm starting to get the impression that Paragon Studios (aka mostly former Cryptic dev refugees) as a result may not get the money to do a CoX sequel (there were some hints about that in interviews last year, I think). But maybe 2010 will surprise us...

Re-visited CoX briefly early in the year. Still felt like the Mission Creator had ruined the game at the same time that it expanded it (i.e., about 90% of the player base exploiting custom content, nobody playing the dev's own work anymore etc.). The game just felt like a ghost town to me outside of the mission creation centers.

From my own experience, working with the mission creator and troubleshooting one's work is an utter time sink. If the entire populace is busy creating story arcs, there's nobody playing the game. Lastly, getting any sort of visibility for your work is just as near impossible as it is in Apple's App Store (sheer volume creates its own kind of nightmare), unless you're willing to be your own shameless PR and message board spammer. Reminded me a lot of Lionhead's "The Movies" in 2005 in that way. Paragon Studios tried to improve things through a tagging system and other UI tweaks, but it still seems like a wilderness.

I re-visited AoC a while back, and didn't stay. If only the whole game felt as gripping as the epic storyline stuff.

I finally logged into Pirates of the Burning Sea, noticed there appeared to not be another soul in the entire server, and quit before the 30 free days was up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:26:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »

For the first half of the year, Warhammer. For the second half, LOTRO with bits of champions thrown in. 

As far as fun, I loved T1 and T2 in Warhammer - it was great, however LOTRO beats it out easily for everything working, shear game polish.  WAR had too many fundamental flaws in basic game design (which showed in T3 & T4) for it to keep my interest (and once a game looses my interest it is very hard for me to go back).
KillTrash
Gaming Trend Reader

Gaming Fiend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »

I began the year playing a lot of WoW and going through the expansion's content. Around March or so I quit WoW again and played WAR for 4 months or so. The second half of the year I was jumping around MMOs like crazy. CoH, Fallen Earth Beta, Champions Online, Aion...

Now I'm enjoying EQ2, as part of the revival we're doing and I started LOTRO again, as I only played the game for a month since launch. I believe both of these games will hold my attention for the next months to come. EQ2 specially is really impressing me, so I should be around for a while.

My top MMO in 2009? Kind of hard to say, but I think that would be Warhammer Online, since that was the one I invested the most hours in. I had a pretty good time too, so that's my vote.

XBL | PSN | Steam - KillTrash
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 01:54:49 AM »

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.  Earlier stabs at it found it a tough nut to crack solo, but I started playing with a friend last spring and we haven't slowed down yet!  So far we've played through the starting quest lines for half a dozen of the major city/race groupings, and we're still looking forward to checking out the five or six remaining.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

World of Warcraft. In Nov. of 2008 they released Wrath of Lich King, so the first part of 2009 was spent conquering Northrend, leveling alts and professions, etc. They added the argent tournment as free content later in the year and, just recently, Icecrown Citadel. So all in all, a busy year for the normally slow Blizzard dev team smile
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

Darkfall.

Best PvP MMO of all time.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »

Played them all, none grabbed me long term. All seemed to follow the same route for their demise on my PC. First 20 levels or so, great fun for the most part. But without fail everyone I played the bottom started to fall out then, some faster than others.

Seems like they put extra emphasis on the opening gameplay to grab the customers imaginations then decided to cut corners for the rest of the game. Most MMO's I played seem to follow that same "business plan".
For the most part 2009 was a very disappointing year for MMO's.

There needs to be a, warning catch phrase incoming,....Paradigm shift in the MMO genre.
You can only go so far with originality and innovation using the same dynamics over and over again.

Who will forge new ground in MMO's? If some forward thinking gaming company can come up with something new and refreshing for the MMO genre they will make a killing.
Sadly most developers seem content with the status quo.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »

LotRO  - Which to me, despite enough weak points to fill a dumptruck, is currently the best all-around MMO I've ever played.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »

Age of Conan - man, most atmospheric game I ever played, so damn good! Vanguard would have been on the list, but the game smashed my computer to bits and pieces by overheating it

A new one
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »

WoW

I have played WoW since closed beta, my account expired December 5.  I was in beta before the hunter class was created so I had a dwarf mage for a while.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 01:55:25 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 17, 2009, 09:33:03 PM

Played them all, none grabbed me long term. All seemed to follow the same route for their demise on my PC. First 20 levels or so, great fun for the most part. But without fail everyone I played the bottom started to fall out then, some faster than others.

Seems like they put extra emphasis on the opening gameplay to grab the customers imaginations then decided to cut corners for the rest of the game. Most MMO's I played seem to follow that same "business plan".
For the most part 2009 was a very disappointing year for MMO's.

There needs to be a, warning catch phrase incoming,....Paradigm shift in the MMO genre.
You can only go so far with originality and innovation using the same dynamics over and over again.

Who will forge new ground in MMO's? If some forward thinking gaming company can come up with something new and refreshing for the MMO genre they will make a killing.

I had the strangest dream that Blizzard's new MMO (a totally new IP) was centered around mechs.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »

As if I need to say it.

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. Best MMO of the year.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »

Pretty much the year that MMOs died for my group of friends.  We've bounced around quite a few of them over the past four years or so, with WOW being the one we sank the most time in.  Next up was COH -- a great game, but the sameness of the environments eventually wore us out.  Then we tried LOTRO and Age of Conan.  Both were good games but LOTRO suffered a little bit of the WOW sameness and Age of Conan suffered from being the last in our line of MMOs -- we've just become burned out on the grinding nature of the genre.  The good news is that we've missed out on a lot of good mulitplayer games over the past few years so now we can get them cheap. 

I imagine the new Star Wars MMO will suck us in, but that's a long way off.

Anyway, my top MMO of 2009 would have to be COH.  Still a great game, that can be played quite casually.  The hectic battles are a great change of pace from the typical "6 brave heroes take on the mighty pig" motiff of most MMOs (oh, no we pulled another pig, run!). 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

It was Aion, until level 30. Then the massive grind hits and it's just not fun. Between the lack of quests and fighting mobs with lame ass botters, I just gave up. I had fun pvp'ing but god damn if it's going to take a year to hit 50 eff that.

With the advent of xrealm grouping I've been playing wow quite a bit lately. I wish I was a larger guild to do some 10man ICC, but most people in my guild i've known since day 1 or before of wow's launch. I'd rather play with people I know.

MMOs are generally a said state right now. It's copy wow, but copy so shitty that it's not worth playing. No one can do pvp right either.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

Definitely LotRO for me.  First MMORPG I've played, and I played a huge amount this summer.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

Quote from: drifter on December 18, 2009, 01:28:31 PM

I was in beta before the hunter class was created so I had a dwarf mage for a while.

Haha!  Awesome!

For me, Aion was easily the best, but sadly this was the year I finally figured out I couldn't do investment-filled MMO gaming anymore.  My favorite genre just went away.

crybaby

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 17, 2009, 09:33:03 PM

This is exactly why small, independent development aiming at a modest yet self-sustaining customer base, is CRUCIAL to the health of the industry.  2009 was definitely a top-heavy year for MMOs.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »

This didn't really fit in the "Top 10 Games of the Year thread," thought it might work better here. They indicate the reader's choice results seemed to be largely "ballot box stuffed" by fans of the F2P Runes of Magic, so I just highlighted Massively's staff choices. They do share the enthusiasm here over Fallen Earth, fwiw.

Massively Reader's and Staff Choice Awards results for 2009
http://www.massively.com/2010/01/01/massively-readers-and-staff-choice-awards-results-for-2009/
Quote from: Massively.com staff picks

Best Crafting in a 2009 MMO
Fallen Earth

Best PvP in a 2009 MMO
Darkfall

Best Capacity for Roleplay in a 2009 MMO
Champions Online [you have GOT to be kidding me saywhat]
Fallen Earth (tie)

Best Free-to-Play MMO of 2009
DDO

Best Visuals/Graphics
Champions Online

Best MMO Studio of 2009
Turbine
Fallen Earth LLC (tie)

Biggest Disappointment of 2009
Aion

Best Launch of 2009
Runes of Magic

Overall Best New MMO of 2009
Fallen Earth

Most Anticipated for 2010
All Points Bulletin
For the "fan vote," just replace every entry with Runes of Magic.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »

None, thankfully. MMO avoidance is 100%. Tongue

Final Fantasy though... >_<# I'll be in on that one. o_O'

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »

Still WoW for me (and my wife).  I'm entry level raid quality on my main druid, working on gear for my 80 DK and have enough characters in the 60s-70s to be busy for a long time.  Even with the asshats the xrealm dungeon finder tool has changed the end game for me and brought new life to the game.  I enjoy EQ2, Conan, LOTRO and Aion but honestly nothing clicks so many things just right like WoW does.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »

LoTRO for me. Moria is a brilliant expansion and Mirkwood is pretty good too.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:43 PM »

Darkfall Prepare for War

The sea tower explosion is a nice example of what is replacing some of the nasty place holder effects.  Check out Val's other videos too he has some nice ones.

You MMO/FPS PvP'rs out there are crazy if you aren't playing DF.  Takes about a month to have a viable toon and you can participate in everything from day one.  

My guild killing the Kraken earlier.
Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:13:55 AM by Thry » Logged
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »

For me it was LOTRO.  Started playing it last year with some friends who were long time tolkien fans.   I really enjoyed the way the book quests were woven into Lord of the Rings storyline.   Even if some of them felt kind of like you were doing the Dunedain's scut work, there were enough  that made you feel like a part of the Fellowship's quest.    Great graphics, too.       I felt like they really did justice to Rivendell and the Shire.     I found myself running around looking for places mentioned in the books.

The other MMO I played the most in 2009 was Champions Online.  I'd have to say it was a bit of a disapointment just because of a lack of content and it wasn't as big a step up from City of Heroes as I was hoping for.  Still,  I great game, and I'd be playing it if my friends still were.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »

Terrible year for MMOs.  I tried several and none stuck.  I'm still depressed to see WAR fail.  We started it with such a bang.  So I can't pick a best this year even though I played WAR, Champions Online, Aion, DDO and LOTRO this year.  I even tried DF being a huge PvP fan but it's not for me.

Not much to look forward to in 2010 unless there is some suprise hit.  The only MMO I'm looking forward to is Guild Wars 2 (2011 or 2012?).  Old Republic could be good but it still seems extremely generic, I'll wait and see with that one.  A friend told me Star Trek Online sucks big time (he's a Trekker).  I'm also curious what Blizzards next mmo project is.  I'm a WoW hater but I still love Blizzard.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »

MMO is 2009 has been a huge let down as a whole, but the two I played the most was War and Lotro.  If the Wanderers had decided to play there for the experiment instead of EQ2 I would probably play

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: