http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:35:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What MMO's are everyone doing these days?  (Read 3962 times)
Semaj
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:58 AM »

I in theory still play WoW when I have internet and a computer with WoW on it.  Tankathon is in his 60's, and when Hachimaki's warlock gets into the 40's we will level up My druid and his warlock.  Venerable is nearing +1200 healing and if I can con my friend into logging him once every 4 days I should have enough mooncloth to get up to around 1400 or 1500.  My Hunter Sasaki is collecting dust because Tankathon took a priority.  I figure eventually I'll have internet again and I'm probably going to hammer out all that double xp on my alts for a while.

Still I assume everyone else is doing different things now and I wondered what you all have been doing with your mmo lives...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:02:21 AM »

I recently just picked up Lord of the Rings Online again.  I had played in beta but the performance put me off.  After recently trying out the trial and seeing the improvements I picked up a collector's edition for $20.  Plus, I like supporting a company that has put out so much free content. 

With the new job I haven't had much time to play, but I have a level 12 burglar and level 16 champion. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:38:35 AM »

I currently have an active subscription to:

City of Heroes - I'm something like a 39 month veteran to this game, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Yeah, my highest character is only 35 (out of 50), but I pop in from time to time to have fun with the game. It's still a ton of fun in small doses. Of course, it also helps that I have a fully decked out base with teleporters to every zone I can get to right now. Makes getting around easy. biggrin

Tabula Rasa - Only level 20 or so in it, and I've been playing it off and on as a duo with a friend not of this board. Definitely an improvement over beta, the game as a whole is a lot of fun. I just worry what'll happen once you hit max level.

Everquest 2 - I keep popping on and off on this game for whatever reason. I never hold a subscription for more than a month or two, but I keep coming back to it (as there's just nothing 'wrong' with it in my eyes that'll keep me away from it for good). I just gotta convince my friends to play this game more, as it's not exactly all that solo friendly (but it's a LOT more solo friendly than it used to be, don't get me wrong).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »

Still running BG's in WoW.......

I looked forward to the MMO that pulls all in like WoW did some 3 years ago. At the moment the other MMO's attract smatterings of people here, and smatterings of people there.......none available yet that sucks the majority of players into its steely grasp pick-pockets the wallet every month for 2 years +..

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:09 AM »

Nothing at the moment, but I am seriously considering picking up Tabula Rasa if Kato and others are still playing it in a couple weeks.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »

Still playing WoW (have been since release) on Cenarion Circle server mainly (PvE RP). Got six 70s (warrior, priest, rogue, warlock, and hunter x2 (horde and alliance)).

My all-dwarven roleplaying guild, Clan Axepeak, is still kicking although still a small guild. In Feburary we will celebrate our 14th year as a guild. eek While I have no concrete proof, I am pretty sure we are the oldest dwarven roleplaying guild in existance.

Mainly just running kara and a little zul'am with my warrior and starting my warlock in a different kara group this weekend. Trying to find a 25-person raid group for my warrior that suits my play time, but have not been successful in that.

My older brother started playing WoW last week. He is a total gaming newbie (PC or console) in general so I am playing some with him on a different server.

My wife wants to start playing soon, so fixing to get her account set up, probably this weekend. She is not a gamer either, so should be interesting.

I got a new PC and some new games this past month (Witcher, Orange Box, Company of Heros) so that have cut into my WoW time a lot though. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »

Tabula Rasa of course. smile At another forum I visit, several are in the late open beta test of Pirates of the Burning Sea (I got in, twice, but now too busy with TR to care). One has described the ship-to-ship battle portions as being almost a wargame, so if you're into that and want something different than bopping an Orc on his head every other minute, your ship has come in... so to speak.  icon_cool That's scheduled for Jan. 22 release.

Me, I've had enough of mid-to-late beta play of games because most of the time it just sours me on the game (fairly or not) before its release. I'm only in TR now (after feeling disappointed by the beta experience) because enthusiasm here sparked my interest in asking for it as an Xmas present. smile If I try the Pirates of the Burning Sea beta at all, it'll probably be the last week (Jan. 15) before release.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:47:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

Jumping back into WoW with depward and playing probably a bit with gellar and a few others on Madoran. I haven't gotten past rolling my toon because of work and family commitments. Sometime soon I hope.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »

I just cancelled WoW, again.   I wanted to try out the leveling content, but I got my BE Pally to 60 and I just couldn't stand the thought of soloing to 70.  I like WoW, but I play the mmorpg for the social aspect not soloing all the time.  Been thinking about playing LotR or Tabula Rasa, but haven't made up my mind.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 03:24:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 28, 2007, 03:18:24 PM

I just cancelled WoW, again.   I wanted to try out the leveling content, but I got my BE Pally to 60 and I just couldn't stand the thought of soloing to 70.  I like WoW, but I play the mmorpg for the social aspect not soloing all the time.  Been thinking about playing LotR or Tabula Rasa, but haven't made up my mind.

Gamestop supposedly has LotR on sale for 10 bucks this weekend...

Me, I'm addicted to Tabula Rasa right now.  Totally solo as I get too wrapped up in the action to notice whispers from other people (or anything else in the chat box (sorry blackjack!!)).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 28, 2007, 02:25:15 PM

Jumping back into WoW with depward and playing probably a bit with gellar and a few others on Madoran. I haven't gotten past rolling my toon because of work and family commitments. Sometime soon I hope.

Weren't you spoda (supposed to in jamesish) join my server and be all hai2u? smile

Honestly, leveling paladins is so much more fun now than when i did it that first month of wow.
You go tankadin spec (http://www.tankadin.com/)  and now you can fight 10-15 mobs at once and not die and have no downtime.  It takes you about as long to kill 15 as it does 1, so in theory you are leveling quicker smile.

Paladins are the hotness right now... mainly due to them being in theory better healers than priests and well, more fun overall.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2007, 01:43:41 PM

Tabula Rasa of course. smile At another forum I visit, several are in the late open beta test of Pirates of the Burning Sea (I got in, twice, but now too busy with TR to care). One has described the ship-to-ship battle portions as being almost a wargame, so if you're into that and want something different than bopping an Orc on his head every other minute, your ship has come in... so to speak.  icon_cool That's scheduled for Jan. 22 release.

Me, I've had enough of mid-to-late beta play of games because most of the time it just sours me on the game (fairly or not) before its release. I'm only in TR now (after feeling disappointed by the beta experience) because enthusiasm here sparked my interest in asking for it as an Xmas present. smile If I try the Pirates of the Burning Sea beta at all, it'll probably be the last week (Jan. 15) before release.

Im playing beta right now and from what Ive read beta shuts down on the 3rd.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »

I am very addicted to Tabula Rasa right now.  I gave it no chance when I was in Beta and thought it was just horrid, but they made tremendous strides with it and I am absolutely loving it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on December 28, 2007, 05:06:05 PM

Weren't you spoda (supposed to in jamesish) join my server and be all hai2u? smile

Honestly, leveling paladins is so much more fun now than when i did it that first month of wow.
You go tankadin spec (http://www.tankadin.com/)  and now you can fight 10-15 mobs at once and not die and have no downtime.  It takes you about as long to kill 15 as it does 1, so in theory you are leveling quicker smile.

Paladins are the hotness right now... mainly due to them being in theory better healers than priests and well, more fun overall.

Yeah I gave up on that attempt to get back into the game after like two days. I hope this one is more successful smile
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 07:24:17 PM »

I just WoW.  I can't see that many other MMOGs are going to bring anything to the table at the moment, since everyone's just chasing Blizzard's tail lights.

About the only one I'd be tempted to play would be City of Heroes/Villains, but then I think about all the grinding I was doing back then...  Even so, it would be nice just to see the improvements they've made.

I keep hoping there will be a World of Starcraft announcement.  That's about the only challenger to WoW I can forsee anytime soon.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 28, 2007, 07:24:17 PM

I keep hoping there will be a World of Starcraft announcement.  That's about the only challenger to WoW I can forsee anytime soon.

Yeah, me too on WoS. Will be interesting to see where they go with it.

I am anxious to give Warhammer Online a shot. It will definately not be a WoW-killer, but based on DaoC's niche succuess I think it will be pretty fun. They are bringing in some RvR elements from DaoC that I enjoyed and since I love playing dwarves, it should provide atleast a momentary diversion from WoW. smile Plus I always felt their community interaction and general support was top notch, far and away the best in the MMOL business. I am friends with a dwarven guild that is going be a force in the game, so might end up hooking up with them instead of starting another branch of my current WoW dwarven guild.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:52:41 PM by Toe » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »

Hmm now someone is saying the PotBS beta ends on the 31st.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 09:37:30 PM »

I played D&D Online for the first time last month and ending up canceling after the free month was done.

I did like the novel concept of the game where you level up by, not by killing monsters, but by completing dungeon quests. Battles were more action oriented than standard MMOs. Instead of just going up to a monster hitting "Q" on the keyboard to initiate an attack then clicking a few icons you actually had to click the mouse button each time you wanted to swing your weapon. Or hold down the mouse button to block and attack. Positioning mattered too where more damage would be done if you attack a monster from the side or back. And to spice things up you also had spells and abilities to use during battles. And if that wasn't enough you could hold down the shift button to dodge or roll out of the way of monsters.

So while the concept was neat in practice it didn't work so well. Battles ended up being click fests so you could swing your weapon as fast as possible. At some point though your character animation would fall behind your frenzied clicking so when you tried to initiate a timely spell, ability, or heal you would have to wait for the swinging to catch up. So many battles I would end up using abilities when the fight was almost over or my partner was crumpling to the ground because I didn't heal in time "sorry! still swinging!"

I never did figure out how rolling or dodging benefited me. No matter how acrobatic and crazy I was in my maneuvering, monsters always faced me. Even zombies possessed some type of heat seeking radar to keep me faced in front of them.

I'm sure there was some type of finesse to the combat I was missing but I couldn't figure it out. So I basically turned in to a Street Fighter II button masher.

Now if the game had any room for finesse, at least in the early levels, Turbine wasn't making it easy to discover. Get this, almost all abilities/buffs last 15 seconds. Yes, the actual ability/buff description says it lasts 15 seconds. How is a 10% dodge increase for 15 seconds going to help in the course of a battle exactly? In the time it takes to hunt down the ability icon you could get in 8 or 9 more mouse clicks! Instead of spending time

It basically meant all those pretty icons were useless with the exception of DD spells, heals and out of combat abilities.

Couple this with the fact that you could only use those buffs/abilities a set number of times per "day" made them particularly tempting to just ignore all together.

The other thing that drove me nuts was that equipment, particularly weapons, took damage so easily and when you repaired them you didn't get the full "health" of the item back. Slimes are a menace to equipment and should be banned from all lower level dungeons. They particularly love to eat through maces to the point where I was bringing 3 of those weapons with me so I could last the entire dungeon crawl.

Despite all that I did have fun with the game for that month. Some of those dungeon quests were neat and well written. But I couldn't see forking over $14 a month for a game I would mainly button smash with.

Just a week ago I started playing Lord of the Rings Online and am enjoying that one quite a bit. With the holiday pricing of $10 a month I'll probably keep that one going for awhile along with my regular standby EQ2.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 04:53:35 AM »

Playing Dungeon Runners. It's more of MMORPG Litle but it's free and easy to get into.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 06:19:45 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on December 29, 2007, 04:53:35 AM

Playing Dungeon Runners. It's more of MMORPG Litle but it's free and easy to get into.

I might have to try that one again.  I enjoyed the funny items and descriptions when I played it before.  They also just released their big Chunk #2 or whatever, didn't they?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »

I started Guild Wars this month, and much to my surprise, have really been enjoying it.  This is the first MMO that I've ever played for more than 2 weeks, and have put nearly 60 hours into it the past month.   Even picked up two of the three expansions for X-mas.  The little things that make all the difference: 

-  I really don't like gaming with other people, so I needed something that was very solo friendly.  GW fits that bill perfectly. 
-  It's free, so I don't feel like I have to play in order to get my $$ worth.
-  I can either play for 4 hours or a half hour and still have fun.  It's not something I have to plan my life around just to play.
-  My brother also started up, so it's good to be able to spend some time with him, even if it is just virtual (he's in Nashville and I'm in Salt Lake)

None of the another MMOs really interest me, but GW has been great fun so far.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
MShirley
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »

I just started Lord of the Rings Online again after several months off.  I got in as a founder, so I should play more to get my $$$ worth.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »

I've tried getting in to WoW again but I just can't do it.  I keep getting bored and I have so many other games I'd rather be playing right now.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 06:54:34 AM »

I am anxious to give Warhammer Online a shot. It will definately not be a WoW-killer,
I am waiting for this one too. I dont think any game will be a WOW killer, but Warhammer will be HUGE in it own right IMHO.    I mean it is being done by a great developer, has a good franchise following, and if people signing up to try to get into beta is any indication , Warhammer is gonna be the next big game.  I think they have had over 500,000 people sign up for beta.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

I have a LOTRO lifetime sub... and I haven't played it once since the free month. Since my sub is always active, it counts.  Tongue

Eventually I'll learn.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 02, 2008, 09:49:29 PM

I have a LOTRO lifetime sub... and I haven't played it once since the free month. Since my sub is always active, it counts.  Tongue

Eventually I'll learn.

Wow. That's a LOT of money just sorta...not spent well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »

Stopped playing WoW and am totally hooked on Guild Wars. While its not a true MMO, it's more of an intelligent Diablo-ish online RPG. I love the guild system though. I'm on the OO Guild - DUI.

Customized Guild Halls, Guild Alliances, persistent storage for all characters, instant travel, no grinding to improve. They basically took all the artificial time sinks out of WoW. I love that I can play in very short increments and feel like I get stuff done. I had a mission to kill the final boss in the first campaign. Went to the town, put LFG in chat (the only time the entire campaign i actually even needed a group) and within 10 minutes had it done. Try that with WoW!

It also has a strong PvP side to it, but there is so much content on the PvE that I haven't even touched PvP yet.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »

It's not really a LOT of money. It's less than some drinkers spent on drinks in the time I played it. About what a 3 pack a day smoker would spend killing his lungs in the time I played it. I was going to tie it to $ of hours at work, but I forget how much the lifetime sub was. $199? plus the game, we'll call it 4 or 5 hours of work. Compared to the complete retail set of heroscape figures I've used exactly once, compared to the kickass hobby/enthusiast grade R/C car I built and abandoned after a few hours, compared to the brand new mustang I bought and traded in 19 months later, compared to the ring I put on my lady's finger the day we got engaged, compared to a lot fo things I could and have spent money on, it's not really much at all.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »

For those of you playing Guild Wars, do you feel like you can solo PVE stuff enough to make it worthwhile?  I don't really do any PVP and I tend to play solo for the most part; my impression from the demos and that of people who played it before was that GW wasn't really focused on that. 

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 12:56:21 AM »

Are you guys still playing on this server?

If so what are the details? I am looking at possibly starting again.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 02:09:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 05, 2008, 12:35:14 AM

For those of you playing Guild Wars, do you feel like you can solo PVE stuff enough to make it worthwhile?  I don't really do any PVP and I tend to play solo for the most part; my impression from the demos and that of people who played it before was that GW wasn't really focused on that. 

I've grouped 3 times. I'm 100% solo with a little chat thrown in here and there.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »

I got back in to WoW, trying to get my guy to 70.  Priest is a lot more fun now that I have Shadowfiend, but PvP still sucks really bad, since priest is always the first to die.  I need to level up my Paladin for doing PvP.

But one thing a friend found which seems to make leveling easier is a leveling guide mod by iDemise.  It's pretty nice, puts all kinds of map notes for what quests to grab, where to go, etc.  Yeah, you can just use a guide for free, like that Jamie's guide (which is really good, btw), but it's nice to have the info in-game and on the map.

But I also spend a lot of time screwing around and playing my alts.  It seems like I keep switching mindsets between not playing at all, or really liking to play almost to the exclusion of all other games.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »

I'm trying out LOTRO.  I should have my head examined...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

Starting Tabula Rasa today.......I pray my habit-addiction to WoW will be broken for good.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »

My wife and I started playing WOW again last month, after about 6 months away from the game. We successfully sucked a non-gaming friend into the fold, who has reached level 14 on her trial account. This doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment, until you realize - she's NEVER played any kind of roleplaying game, and the term XP is foreign to her. I'm proud. My wife and I also have level 28 horde characters we play when not playing with her.

I'm trying to avoid reaching the levels of stupid-addiction that I reached in the past (when I ran a human priest to 70 and an orc hunter to 62)
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 02:16:45 AM »

As much as I want to try out WOW, I am afraid to get suck in.
Also, spending $$$ on MMO is not a option for me right now.

Enjoying Mythos beta and Dungeon Runners for Free  Roll Eyes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 02:28:23 AM »

Im trying to enjoy dungeon runners but its difficult to enjoy for me.

Thought about Tabula rasa but not sure.

maybe Ill resub to City of Villains. I bet my mastermind misses me.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

Taking a break from WoW and have been back in CoX for a few weeks now.
Having a blast. They have made some real improvements and I've heard
whispers that a lot of good stuff is on the way. With the game in NCSoft's
hands, a lot of the team that had left Cryptic are back on board. Also,
in contrast to what I expected, NCSoft is putting MORE money into the game
now, not less.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 04:06:53 AM »

Hmm now Im really tempted.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »

I dunno what it is but I'm really enjoying LOTRO.  I really should have my head examined...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: