http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:58:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What advice do you have for LOTRO newbie?  (Read 3112 times)
Alefroth
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 20, 2009, 02:28:42 PM

Quote from: Jag on July 20, 2009, 02:06:14 PM

2 more questions:

1. What are the main websites for lotro info? WoW has wowhead for items and wowiki for game information.

2. Do I really need to equip different tools for mining ore and wood? Is there a trick to auto or fast switching tools? Just seems like extra effort.

1. the best place I have found is actually the game's official forums at lotro.com. There are a ton of good threads on there for just about any topic. I go there a lot for class info and for quest info.

2. The best method I have found is to put the gear in a quickslot bar and just click on the one you want to use, it will automatically equip that tool and put the other one back in your bag. Other than that the only way is to go into your bag all the time.

That's the method I use. The explorer is really the only vocation (that I can think of) that is always needing to swap out tools. Every other one just has one gathering profession.

Ale
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

Help me decide between Rune Keeper and Captain.

I played the RK to 16 and Captain to 9. I like the RK, but he's a bit squishy. The problem is my guild has 2 very experienced RK players, so I would be the third. I'll probably be soloing mostly, but want to be able to get into groups. I know the RK can fit a healing or DPS role, but the Captain is more of a support class.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »

You shouldn't have a problem getting groups with either of those toons. I would say go with the one you enjoy the most.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »

Ok, what stats do you focus on for a Captain?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 21, 2009, 01:34:40 PM

Help me decide between Rune Keeper and Captain.

I played the RK to 16 and Captain to 9. I like the RK, but he's a bit squishy. The problem is my guild has 2 very experienced RK players, so I would be the third. I'll probably be soloing mostly, but want to be able to get into groups. I know the RK can fit a healing or DPS role, but the Captain is more of a support class.

Play the class you enjoy most, but keep in mind that you're not going to really see what the captain is all about until you get to the higher levels. More than most other classes, the captain starts out as a fairly generic (and sort of weak) character and suddenly becomes a really powerful and unique beast at levels 45+.

I don't really know how it is now, but before the expansion, the captain was the third most sought after class for groups, the first two being minstrel and guardian. I've never had even the slightest problem getting invited into fellowships.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »

...but keep in mind that you're not going to really see what the captain is all about until you get to the higher levels.

Basically all of the hybrids have this issue - they don't really shine until they have received all of the various types of abilities in their arsenal.  Burglars suffer from this also.  Expect a period of hell in mid-levels where (mid-30's on a burglar, not sure where on a captain) where you'll have real issues soloing based on a) being a little behind on the power to level curve, b) having to relearn how to play the class as it morphs into its final role.

I have a 32 burglar that I'm having real issues with right now, can solo great against 1 or 2 mobs even if they are elites, however I can't control agro at all. No biggie, I've always sucked at stealth classes.  I also have a 44 Champion (loads of fun if a bit one dimensional) and a 33 Runekeeper (love it- however have a set 3-man group so don't' have any solo issues), so no biggie if I suck with the burglar  icon_biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 05:29:16 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 20, 2009, 02:13:45 PM

Quote from: Jag on July 20, 2009, 02:06:14 PM

2. Do I really need to equip different tools for mining ore and wood? Is there a trick to auto or fast switching tools? Just seems like extra effort.

Yes, no, totally agree, especially how EQ2 would auto-switch as long as they were in your backpack somewhere.

From my recent experience with EQ2 you don't even ever have or buy gathering tools, you just use them automagically.  It's nice.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »

BTW is anyone wants to try a freeplay just send me a tell and your email. I know I have some 14 buddy keys somewhere but i also have 10 day referrals linked to my account it seems. Just found out about them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: