http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:20:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What advice do you have for LOTRO newbie?  (Read 3073 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

I quit Wow, but I'm considering trying the LOTRO free trial. I don't want to get hooked back on another MMO (I love my free time now!), but I figured I would check it out with my new PC. I know nothing about this game. My goal is something very solo friendly.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »

I'm a lifetime LOTRO subscriber. You will never find that 2 people give you the same advice.  icon_razz

Hunter was my favorite character (and once you get going with traps, you can tackle a lot of tough situations solo), and is my only L60 to date. I've got a Captain at 54, and the Herald pets give you a lot of ways to handle battles, and can even to some extent "tank" for you, which is handy if you solo a lot.

The masses would probably say a Guardian's very solo friendly and eventually you can take on some tough situations head-on, with little or no help. Even if you're group-hostile, Guardians and Minstrels are virtually always welcome and needed.

While the game is reasonably solo friendly, it does have a lot of Epic group-focused content, and smaller 3-person group content, and situations where soloing can be a tough thing to pull off.

If you only intend to play 2 weeks and then quit, then I would throw all my tips out and just play whatever type of class you like to play. They have revamped the lower level content and overall "flow" a bit, so you may find a different (hopefully better) low end experience than us vets experienced in years past.  icon_smile

My other advice if new is to take a little time to read the quest text and enjoy Turbine's efforts at story. It's too easy in MMOs to get caught up in level grinding and forget to enjoy the ride and the story, esp. after you've created 12 characters and run through everything already. If you're new, and everything's fresh, I envy you.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:15:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »

Oh, if you're not concerned about teaming with others, I guess I'd follow the advice the game client gives you when it suggests new players create characters on X and Y servers. I assume those are newer servers with lower populations. Even if you do like to team, those new servers may have more new players that would be keen on teaming with other new folks, so that might be nice.

Other little tips, belatedly occuring to my addled brain:
-When you reach a new village/town for the first time, make sure you click on the stable once (the icon above the stable master will sort of glow to remind you) so that the stable becomes "active" for you and you can take rides to/from it. I remember as a new player sometimes walking right by the stable, and forgetting to click on it.

-Even if you don't care zilch about crafting (I don't, though it's certainly helpful to know other players who love to do crafting), you can make quite a lot of money from mining/axing/picking basic resources, and certain kinds can fetch quite a bit at the auction house. I largely ignore this now, but with my lower level characters, gathering resources was quite helpful in terms of cash flow.

-Don't forget to bind at the milestone in a new village/town you encounter (assuming it's a place you'll want to turn to).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:29:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

I was only in the beta in 2007. I loved it though. Not played since then either. I own the whole thing..Moria and all...won it online at Warcry. I just dont have $15 a month to spare right now. how did you get a lifetime sub and how much was that?

I need to go back and have fun in it again. Hunter was also my favorite. I read where they now have 2 new classes. Sounds fun. the world felt right too. And good lord it was gorgeous to look at. Did they ever add fishing in? That sounds silly but it was a big negative to me. All that water and no fishing. I gots to have my fishing. More sim like the better.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 15, 2009, 05:24:50 PM

-Even if you don't care zilch about crafting (I don't, though it's certainly helpful to know other players who love to do crafting), you can make quite a lot of money from mining/axing/picking basic resources, and certain kinds can fetch quite a bit at the auction house. I largely ignore this now, but with my lower level characters, gathering resources was quite helpful in terms of cash flow.

This is such an outstanding understatement it's not even funny. I went with the 'gathering' class (gives you Tailoring plus Foresting (gather trees) and Mining (gather minerals) and half a stack of the lowest level stuff (50 items you find in the starting areas) goes for 100-250 silver easily. Of course, now you have to figure out what to do with all that cash...

And yes, fishing is in the game now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

And yes, fishing is in the game now.

oh oh I gotta find some money!

Wait need to find a video online of it and see how it works. i loved it in WoW. Best fishing ever. Random fish, actual good loot to dredge up, tournaments....great fun. I spent a whole week once on my lvl 60(before there was a 70) and just traveled around fishing. It was even fun to watch the goody goodies try to gank me. Id just go stealth and knife them then go back to fishing. really pissed them off to have a undead rogue standing there on their bodies still fishing away.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »

Ok after reading about LotRO fishing Im a little disappointed. Theres nothing you can catch that seems interesting or worth it. In WoW you could drag in some very nice items like weapons and such. now I see they even have mounts and such. Sigh.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Fishing is just a hobby in the game, not a "major" skill. Thus you can't yank Gold Plated Legendary Halberds from the depths of a hobbit pond.  icon_smile

I had always hoped they would add some other hobbies at some point, but I guess they just didn't feel it was a productive use of their limited dev staff's time/resources.

Since I understated it earlier...
you can make quite a lot of money from mining/axing/picking basic resources, and certain kinds can fetch quite a bit at the auction house
Happy?   smirk

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »

Maybe if they add catchable trainable pets you fight in arenas with.  Bet no one has thought of that.   ninja

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:47:44 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 15, 2009, 10:25:48 PM

Maybe if they add catchable trainable pets you fight in arenas with.  Bet no one has thought of that.   ninja

I hate you.    finger

Tongue

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 15, 2009, 09:23:13 PM

Fishing is just a hobby in the game, not a "major" skill. Thus you can't yank Gold Plated Legendary Halberds from the depths of a hobbit pond.  icon_smile

What about rings? I read about ONE ring that was found in a hobbit pond.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »

Here's some basic advice:

1.  Start as a hobbit.  I think the hobbit starting zone is vastly superior to the elf/dwarf/human starting zones.  Having played a number of toons to level 10-15 in beta, it was quickly obvious to me that the hobbit area had been given more attention than the other starting zones.  It's really one of the most beautiful, interesting and fun areas in the entire game.

2.  Plan on smelling the roses.  I found that LOTRO came closest to duplicating the old EQ feel - people would stand around playing their instruments, talk in pubs and didn't generally act like asshats.  Provided it's still the same type of community, slow down and enjoy the people and places. 

3.  Read the lore.  Understanding the lore in LOTRO was necessary for my enjoyment of the quests in LOTRO more so than any other MMO I've ever played.  In many games it doesn't matter or I just didn't care.  In LOTRO, it helped give me a sense of purpose.

4.  Enjoy what's different than WoW.  LOTRO does the entire PvE thing very well, but I still think WoW is a superior game.  As such, there are a number of things you may find you miss about WoW.  However, you can find enjoyment in LOTRO because of things that *aren't* in WoW.  Like player housing, decorations, instruments and so forth.  Some of my best times in LOTRO were sitting outside my house (which was on a lake) just fishing in my own private pond. 

5.  JUMP on every opportunity to complete a chapter in a book.  Sometimes it's darn difficult to find a group to complete a chapter, so take advantage of each opportunity. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

I also recommend playing a hobbit for your first charcacter. In addition to being the best area, the Shire is very firmly entrenched in our heads from the books. Running around a familiar area and seeing the landmarks you expect to see adds a great element that you won't find to nearly the same degree in the human/elf/dwarf starting areas.

It's hard to beat a hobbit hunter as your first character.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:34:30 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »

I don't know if your server has this player channel but Elendilmir has a global LFF channel created by the players that is way busier than the regular LFF channel and much easier to find fellowships on. On Elendilmir you type "/joinchannel glff". It may work on your serve too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:18:48 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 16, 2009, 06:14:00 PM

I don't know if your server has this player channel but Elendilmir has a global LFF channel created by the players that is way busier than the regular LFF channel and much easier to find fellowships on. On Elendilmir you type "/addchannel glff". It may work on your serve too.
I had no idea.  Thanks!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »

Quick question before I commit...does the game look as good as this video does WITHOUT DX10? I have XP so no dx10 for me. Thnx!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtir8DNELzw

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 02:31:52 PM

Quick question before I commit...does the game look as good as this video does WITHOUT DX10? I have XP so no dx10 for me. Thnx!!

Quick answer. No. You need DX10 to get the most out of it, particularly lightning and shadows.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »

Awwwww. Im signing up today. Im disappointed frown I wont have DX10 till a bit after Win7 hits

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 03:15:41 PM

Awwwww. Im signing up today. Im disappointed frown I wont have DX10 till a bit after Win7 hits

The game still looks fantastic even without DX10. The draw distance is really far and the world is much more realistic looking than WoW or Warhammer. Also if you sign up today join the Elendilmir server and send a tell to Hanton. That's my main. I willk be on tonight around 9pm Est.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »

Going to DL the trial. Any links to FAQs that explain the classes and professions?

Any mods for this game?

What are good hybrid classes that are needed in groups? Rune-Keeper?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:00:29 PM by Jag » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 17, 2009, 05:53:15 PM

Any mods for this game?

The game is very mod-unfriendly. The best you can really do is change the graphics for the UI. It's nothing like WoW that has thousands of available mods, or EQ2 where you really need one or two of them.

Unless you consider adding in songs you can play on the in-game instruments mods. I have a pretty dang good rendition of quite a few popular songs, TV show themes, and random videogame music in my collection that I can burst out on a moment's notice during downtime.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

I loved the music in the beta. Me and a couple others were the first to use the midi stuff in game. We drew huge crowds and cheers. Was a great time!

My plans..when i get time to actually install sighnup and play are..

Hobbit Hunter - Main
Human Warden
Elf Runekeeper
Dwarf Minstrel

Hope I can find a lot of free time lol. Doubt it..but Ill try to concentrate on my Hunter. ADD really makes me have alt'itis. i love alts and low lvls..sue me smile

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »

Going to DL the trial. Any links to FAQs that explain the classes and professions?

Any mods for this game?

1. The game itself has class videos that you can watch while selecting your toon, and they do a good job oof explaining the different classes. Other than that there are Wikis for each class.

2. What Destructor said.

3. RK is a hybrid DPS and healing class. They are probably the most favored hybrid class. You can't go worng with a minitril though, they are the best true healer and never have problems finding groups.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 02:31:52 PM

Almost. The only differences between the DX9 and DX10 versions that I've heard about or seen (I've tried both) are the shadows and the water. Water looks really good no matter which version you use, but the DX10 version has more advanced effects such as refraction. The shadows are easier to see a difference in. All objects cast static shadows in DX9, while the DX10-version has dynamic shadows. This results in cool effects like individual leaves in trees casting shadows on the ground that sway back and forth. You need a reasonably beefy PC to be able to use that option though. Honestly, you're not likely to notice much difference during gameplay unless you look for it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »

I play a captain, and I don't think you'll be able to find a more true hybrid class than that in the game at the moment. The runekeeper only has two roles, and he has to choose one of them at the beginning of combat, making it really hard to dynamically change roles while fighting. The captain can (but doesn't have to) fill several roles depending on what your group needs. Those roles include main buffer (this is big. The difference between having a captain or not in a fellowship makes a dramatic difference on everyone's abilities), secondary healer (you'll be asked to heal the healer, but you'll also give some juicy heals to the rest of the group, only you can't really do it on demand), secondary tank, and to a certain degree, DPS. Even if you stat up to just one of these roles you'll be able to take on any of the other ones at a moment's notice.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 17, 2009, 09:04:39 PM

I play a captain, and I don't think you'll be able to find a more true hybrid class than that in the game at the moment. The runekeeper only has two roles, and he has to choose one of them at the beginning of combat, making it really hard to dynamically change roles while fighting. The captain can (but doesn't have to) fill several roles depending on what your group needs. Those roles include main buffer (this is big. The difference between having a captain or not in a fellowship makes a dramatic difference on everyone's abilities), secondary healer (you'll be asked to heal the healer, but you'll also give some juicy heals to the rest of the group, only you can't really do it on demand), secondary tank, and to a certain degree, DPS. Even if you stat up to just one of these roles you'll be able to take on any of the other ones at a moment's notice.

Ok, so Captain or Rune Keeper. I'm used to a hybrid not being able to change roles easily, so not being able to during combat is not a big drawback. I want to be able to solo hard content and still be needed in groups.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »

So whats a good server with lots of players if I need to group? I see there is already a recommendation for Elendilmir.

BTW my system is..

Core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz
eVga GTX 260 896meg
Gigabyte UD3R
4 gig Patriot 1066 ram
20.1" gaming LCD 5ms

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 11:13:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 17, 2009, 09:04:39 PM

The one point I would make here is that the Warden is by far the most hybrid class in the game. It has skills from every class in the game and it can use them throughout the fight. The biggest problem with the Warden is that it's a difficult class to master and they have a bad name with many players, so a lot of people wont invite them to group. But a good warden can be very good and match the skills of a lot of classes. I know this because my main is a Ward and many people under value them until I group with them.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 11:15:44 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 10:09:33 PM

So whats a good server with lots of players if I need to group? I see there is already a recommendation for Elendilmir.

BTW my system is..

Core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz
eVga GTX 260 896meg
Gigabyte UD3R
4 gig Patriot 1066 ram
20.1" gaming LCD 5ms

On the kin note, my kin is an Eastern/Central time zone kin and we have seen a recent influx of newer toons and players, so if you want a good kin join Elendilmir and send Hanton an invite. I will get you signed up. We are a casual kin of mature players, but we also regularly schedule events.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:07:05 AM by Scraper » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »

Ok will do. Probably with my main alt. I want to just take my time and goof around a lot with my main and not rush to make lvls. Will have to decide now which is my main alt lol. Minstrel, Warden, or Rune-caster.....runy and Ward both look fun.

Jandor
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »

I just came back this week after an almost 2 year break from the game. My previous main was on Landroval where the last Kinship was. Anyone still play on Ladroval or has everyone moved along? Would like to find a good Kinship again but would hate to leave the money behind from my previous toon.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »

Is the free trial broken or something?

I pre-ordered way prior to release, created an account but never actually bought the game.  Too WoWish - I just went back to WoW.

Now I'm interested in giving it another shot.  I can login to Turbine's site with my old account but of course that account isn't eligible for the free trial.

I tried creating a new account with a different email address but it keeps failing, telling me the username wasn't accepted.  This happened ever after I picked a ridiculous user name like Bob19845312.

I found a few other folks having the same problem.

Turbine's making it very, very difficult for me to give this a shot.   finger
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:12:08 PM by Exodor » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »

I think I had some 14 day buddy keys if anyone is interested. If so Ill see if I can find them.

Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 18, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

I think I had some 14 day buddy keys if anyone is interested. If so Ill see if I can find them.

That would be awesome.  I'd like to check it out but I' not quite ready to drop $9.99 on it.

EDIT - holy hell.  I found a link in a dev post to the download so I went ahead and started it.  And the install fails with...

icon_mad
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:27:51 PM by Exodor » Logged
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »

Whatever you do, do not use the Turbine Download Manager (TDM), unless you absolutely have to. Apparently it is very glitchy. There should be a one-shot file you can grab instead. Try the link from this post: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=161704 entitled "How do I download the The Lord of the Rings Online client digitally?"

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »

I downloaded the trial directly. Played about day with it so far on Nimrondel and been having fun. Have a lvl 9 Man Captain and Level 11 Elf Rune-Keeper. Started the Captain, but didn't see anything very exciting with it. Just a melee buffer so far.

I switched to the Rune Keeper who's a little more interesting to play. Sort of a combo WoW Mage/Druid. Fragile nuker/HOTer healer. Not the most solo friendly, but doable.

Any advice on professions? I took Explorer to make money, but read that RKs can do Tinker too.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:28:56 AM by Jag » Logged
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »

Any profession works.  Tinker is nice for an RK because a jeweller makes rune stones...except my RK has been using quest reward stones over ones I can make (like every other MMO I have my own mini-guild going with one of every profession.  i forget which one but being a forester and a tailor works nicely.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »

2 more questions:

1. What are the main websites for lotro info? WoW has wowhead for items and wowiki for game information.

2. Do I really need to equip different tools for mining ore and wood? Is there a trick to auto or fast switching tools? Just seems like extra effort.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 20, 2009, 02:06:14 PM

2. Do I really need to equip different tools for mining ore and wood? Is there a trick to auto or fast switching tools? Just seems like extra effort.

Yes, no, totally agree, especially how EQ2 would auto-switch as long as they were in your backpack somewhere.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 20, 2009, 02:06:14 PM

2 more questions:

1. What are the main websites for lotro info? WoW has wowhead for items and wowiki for game information.

1. the best place I have found is actually the game's official forums at lotro.com. There are a ton of good threads on there for just about any topic. I go there a lot for class info and for quest info.

2. The best method I have found is to put the gear in a quickslot bar and just click on the one you want to use, it will automatically equip that tool and put the other one back in your bag. Other than that the only way is to go into your bag all the time.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: