http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 05:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasn't planetside supposed to be free?  (Read 1951 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »

What happened? On their website it says only people that used to have an account get 30 days free - I was under the impression you could download it and play it for free now?
Granted I didn't perform an autopsy (sp) on the site but from the general impression it's you still have to pay for it.
I had planetside long ago but it crashed on my computer now I have a newer compaq that should be able to handle it decently, so I'd like to get back into it again.. but before spending days downloading the massive client, is it really free?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »

On the forums (which you can't use without an active account) they reported that they don't know when the "Cannon Fodder" program is going to go live.  If you have access to a copy, I can give you a buddy key that will work for 10 days.  Unfortunately, you'll then have to pay for the game because I don't believe you'll be able to convert it to a cannon fodder account.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:55:08 PM »

Yep, it was believed to start February 14th, but no updates or anything whether or not that's true.  So it could be that soon or later - no clue atm.

Still having a blast with PS - now BR 8, got my first "award" yesterday (Oh yeah, a Support Infantry award, YEAH!), and having fun pwning the Vanu Sovereignty and New Conglomerate.

Though, as of right now, stats are down for some odd reason.  Maybe it's something to do with the Fodderside program?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »

Is this game worth the time? And if yes, is it worth the purchase or should one wait for the free game to come out? I actually played it a long time ago but unfortunatly my pc at the time could not handle it. It did seem pretty interesting though.

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit
BF2: MC

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 08:35:42 AM »

I don't know, one of the staff of GT has posted a bit about planetside on the main page and I have to admit, from his impressions, it sounds like it's a lot of fun.

We're past february 14th now though, anything new on the game supposed to be free now? If we can download it and play for free, what have you got to lose?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:53:06 AM »

Nope...no new news on the Cannon Fodder program.  Trust me, I'm watching for it, so as soon as I do hear on it, I'll let you know.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 08:18:28 PM »

I've been keeping an eye on this. I would really, really want to get into the game if they had some free trial without having to worry about a time limit - just eventually hitting a wall of not leveling up. By then, I will probably get a good enough feel to either like or dislike the game.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 04:32:49 AM »

Anything new? One of the latest PC gaming magazines (PC Gamer maybe?) said it was going to be free by the time you read it, but checking the planetside site the only thing they have is a free 10 day trial period. Maybe they changed their minds..

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 05:34:12 AM »

I'll check the forums tonight (if I can get in, I let my account reactivation expire).  So far, no new word on this.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »

Well it finally happened.. from march 24th 2006 to march 24th 2007 you can play in the "reserves" (can't go any higher than a 6) for free..
http://planetside.station.sony.com/reserves/

Shame I'm moving in only a couple of days and wont have internet for a few months, otherwise I'd be all over this.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 10:21:17 AM »

I'm in with a new station account.

You can't use an old account, but it's easy enough to make a new one.

I'm in on Markov (US West) as the Terran Republic, only because my other friend was going to play TR.

I think my main guy will be a heavy tanker again.  I hope they've improved the MBTs since I last played, as they were just very large targets that took up two at least infantry to operate.  Not to mention everyone and their mother was toting around anti armor weaponry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: