http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 04:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer Online headed to Open Beta on 9/7  (Read 46953 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 23, 2008, 07:46:39 PM

Quite fun outrunning the blast and having the guys chasing you get incinerated.

Lol, what in the hell is that....what class gets the personal atomic bomb sheesh.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2008, 09:06:12 PM »

Part of a Scenario, not a class spell........Got me a few times.... mad paranoid

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2008, 09:06:58 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 23, 2008, 07:46:20 PM

Question... do characters survive after beta or should I just play a bunch of variety so I know what I want to play when it starts for real?

Total wipe....Nothing being carried over...For anyone.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 23, 2008, 09:06:58 PM

Quote from: Azhag on August 23, 2008, 07:46:20 PM

Question... do characters survive after beta or should I just play a bunch of variety so I know what I want to play when it starts for real?
Total wipe....Nothing being carried over...For anyone.

Pretty standard practice. The best you'll ever really see is the ability for preorders to get in a few days early or something. But there have been exceptions.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

Man, I can't wait until my new system gets here and open beta starts... of course I still need to get my CE preordered to get my open beta codes.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 23, 2008, 10:01:38 PM

Man, I can't wait until my new system gets here and open beta starts... of course I still need to get my CE preordered to get my open beta codes.

pretty sure all CE's are gone according to mythic. maybe i should've gotten 2 Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »

You get an open beta code with standard edition pre-orders as well through participating retailers.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »

For those in the beta, are there beta forums?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2008, 03:21:11 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 23, 2008, 10:05:41 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 23, 2008, 10:01:38 PM

pretty sure all CE's are gone according to mythic. maybe i should've gotten 2 Tongue

That sucks, I guess I will go with a regular edition then...bah humbug!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

Ah, I've given in and ordered a new computer as well, can't wait. And given the terribleness of my current computer in running this during the preview weekend it will be none too soon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on August 24, 2008, 12:09:26 AM

For those in the beta, are there beta forums?

there are supposed to be, but they are, according to Mythic, 'full', so no one recently invited can get in.

My preview weekend Bright Wizard, CeeFire:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »

Well, I've played a bit in the Preview and it's generally been fun.  Nothing particularly groundbreaking here in the areas of graphics or general solo questing, but the Public Quests have been fun (although I don't know how they will make them fair for non-DPS classes).  

One of my biggest concerns is on balance.  I know this has been discussed before, but on all the servers I played, numbers were HORRIBLY skewed towards Dark Elves (compared to High Elves) and Greenskins (compared to Dwarves).  The human factions were a bit more randomly balanced.  Sadly, when you consider it, the balancing issues make sense and were not good design decisions by Mythic.  Dark Elves are so blatantly sexified that the High Elves would have lots of trouble competing.  On top of it, the Dark Elves have the Sorcerer/ess, which is the mage dps character, generally at the top of the most popular class archetype list in any MMORPG.  With the Greenskin v. Dwarves, the Greenskins have much more variety - from the more interesting starting area to the fact that the Greenskin tank is actually a different looking Greenskin while the Dwarves all look very similar.  I'm no Warhammer knowledge-base, but it would have been better if the Dwarf tank was something "Norse" in the Warhammer lore but not a Dwarf, if you know what I mean, to create some more flavors.  In any case, all of the regions have a victory indicator indicating who is winning in that paticular region between the arch-rivals, and the general outcome was as I describe above.

I would also like to see more character customization.  This may be in place for the release, but it's disheartening to start in the High Elf region and see a bunch of the same-looking robed elves running around doing quests.  And they are all the same height.  Guess this is like WoW, but it kind of reminds me why I like EQ2 so much, or even Vanguard to a lesser extent - the sheer variety of races is just immersive, and you see them right from the start. 

I haven't done much RvR yet, but I'm guessing the scenarios may be a bit more balanced due to the fact that they queue scenarios. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:31:38 PM by Fez » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 24, 2008, 04:35:08 PM

Ah, I've given in and ordered a new computer as well, can't wait. And given the terribleness of my current computer in running this during the preview weekend it will be none too soon.

Awesome when is your system due in?  Mine is supopsed to be delivered by the 9th of September.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Fez on August 24, 2008, 05:29:26 PM

Sadly, when you consider it, the balancing issues make sense and were not good design decisions by Mythic.  Dark Elves are so blatantly sexified that the High Elves would have lots of trouble competing.

Boobies! This is one reason why the players are starting to complain over in the EQ2 forums - there's like NO skin showing period (short of the 'invisible' items you can get for the arms, hands, shoulders, and feet). Showing the chest area on females at all is BAD.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2008, 07:32:07 PM »

See, I'm severely limited in my choices. I'm one of those guys who just can't enjoy playing the "dark" side of things. Don't know why(exactly)I just can't get my head around it.

So, I'm left with just the Order to choose from. Not complaining, just saying.

I don't like the High Elf look at all. Reminds me of Hib-land in DAoC. It always felt less "done" than the other realms and the colours a tad washed out. I get the same vibe from Warhammer.
Archmage class though seems well done.

Still looks like Bright Wizard for the win. I would love to play a tank as well but not sure about the Dwarves in this game.
It will be changing on a regular basis anyway I would think. Evolving if you will. But I think we have a winner here.

Blizzard might want to check their smugness at the door...I know it wont dethrone WoW but its going to bloody the nose, and maybe even two black I eyes, I should think.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2008, 07:33:55 PM »

Not really sure Arkon... just says order recieved at this point (I don't think it'll let me know til tomorrow probably).
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »

2 healing classes fighting is like watching 2 healing spec paladins fight.

so i got knocked out of t1 upon reaching level 12(i pretty much been straight rvr'ing since 6) and i went in search of some action. so i head over to barak varr and notice we lost the 2 points, but kept the keep(it was under seige last night stayed up til 6 defending). so i figured i'll see what's up. well i run into the main force and quickly die. oh well, c'est la vie. so i manage to take the, i guess, back way around and reach i think it's called ironclad. upon seeing this i see a level 10. i figure oh it's on buddy and that person says the same since he bee line it for each other and waste no time.

oh boy, little did we know what we were for in. me, a level 12 archmage and them a level 10 disciple of khaine. the fight was going my way, took him down to half hp in about a minute. suddenly he heals up and im like wtfno. so i continue on, putting on my debuffs, keeping my hots and trying to suck as much AP as the cooldown will allow. i've played a dok, i know no ap=no soul essence=no healing. so that was my new focus. slowly kill this person and try to prevent healing as much as i can. this seemed to work for a bit, i could tell the player was stunned at the sudden lack of AP as he sat there for awhile. but AP regens so fast that this wouldn't work and one of us had to screw up. i used my morale skills 5 times, maybe more. i kid you not this fight kept going and going.

i'm a competitive person and i got my ego on stake. i aint backing down from a 1v1 and neither was he. suddenly i realize this wasn't going to end and was hoping for another order to come. now i enjoy 1v1 fighting. i think it's a good challenge. it teaches you to play your class and lets you find weaknesses in your style and the other class as well. so yeah, i was trying my damnest to come up with something. the constant sucking of AP started. I was getting closer and closer. He wasn't staying fully topped. It was also taking a toll on me as I was focusing too much on this and almost ate it a few times. Luckily I got a nice new skill that makes me invulnerable to knockback for 5s and was able to pop my big heal off.

Well either he called for help or the main force finally discover our scrimage. After what seemed like an hour I finally died to the zerg. But damnit I held my ground.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2008, 01:59:39 AM »

Rune Priest completely own in the healing department!

Made it to level 14 so far and I've had so much fun the entire way. Today just flew by. .

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2008, 11:37:43 AM »

So over the weekend I did some scanning of gameplay videos (I don't have the game yet) and found some pretty well done vids that guys have done where they pick a class, take them out, and narrate for you.

I will say that there is no class I have seen yet that doesn't look at least somewhat interesting.  I watched a Runepriest heal in an RvR push (great healer with some fun skills, and seems to be super at his job).  I watched a WitchHunter doing his thing for awhile, which is the first time I've actually seen any extended footage of the class in action.  It's a lot neater than people were making it out to be imo.  I watched an Engineer defending a flag point (that looked really fun, and reminded me of TF2 in a wierd kind of way).  I saw a White Lion with his War Lion in a totally chaotic battle that stressed me out just watching it.  Etc.. etc.. etc..

There are some great people out there uploading their movies to Youtube with narration to help others not involved in the beta get an idea of how the classes play.  It's pretty cool, actually.  It really does make me interested in trying quite a few different classes when I eventually get the game.  I think the goblins are incredibly well done, and am really interested to see more of their class choices in action.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »

Ok, having looked at some YouTube videos, I have another simple question about the game world.

On virtually all videos, the colors are very muted - a ton of browns and greys.  The grass looks like it's wilting and the sky is cloudy and muted.  I'm not seeing much of a bright gameworld - it seems to be generally pretty dull and depressing.  There are exceptions, of course...there were a couple of areas that looked really cool. 

Now YouTube videos are of very poor quality and colors are often muted on YouTube...and the high-res videos from Warhammer Online look better, but not great.  For example, the Inevitable City looked awesome from the outside, but the video from inside just showed a lot of brown block walls.   

Charlatan posted a heckuva lot of great screenshots, but most of the videos I've seen make the entire world look like the Marshes of Madness or Troll Country.  So what is your opinion of the gameworld?  Is it interesting?  Do you find little gems and tidbits around every corner or is the world kind of generic?  In other words, does the world itself really get you going to explore every nook and cranny of it?  I'm a sucker for a great, interesting world - to me, it's what made a game like U7 the classic it is (beyond the story) and kept me going at WoW when nothing else would.  EQ2 also had kind of a great world...whereas I was disappointed in Middle Earth in LOTRO once I got outside the Shire.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:28:45 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 24, 2008, 06:56:24 PM

Sadly, when you consider it, the balancing issues make sense and were not good design decisions by Mythic.  Dark Elves are so blatantly sexified that the High Elves would have lots of trouble competing.

Boobies! This is one reason why the players are starting to complain over in the EQ2 forums - there's like NO skin showing period (short of the 'invisible' items you can get for the arms, hands, shoulders, and feet). Showing the chest area on females at all is BAD.

I blame it on Witch Elf being the only class with (unrealistic) breast physics.  Go into character creation and make a WE, you will see that as they breathe their breasts move.  Every other female character in the game have more natural breathing where the whole chest moves instead of just jiggling boobies.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 25, 2008, 01:26:03 PM

Ok, having looked at some YouTube videos, I have another simple question about the game world.

On virtually all videos, the colors are very muted - a ton of browns and greys.  The grass looks like it's wilting and the sky is cloudy and muted.  I'm not seeing much of a bright gameworld - it seems to be generally pretty dull and depressing.  There are exceptions, of course...there were a couple of areas that looked really cool. 

Now YouTube videos are of very poor quality and colors are often muted on YouTube...and the high-res videos from Warhammer Online look better, but not great.  For example, the Inevitable City looked awesome from the outside, but the video from inside just showed a lot of brown block walls.   

Charlatan posted a heckuva lot of great screenshots, but most of the videos I've seen make the entire world look like the Marshes of Madness or Troll Country.  So what is your opinion of the gameworld?  Is it interesting?  Do you find little gems and tidbits around every corner or is the world kind of generic?  In other words, does the world itself really get you going to explore every nook and cranny of it?  I'm a sucker for a great, interesting world - to me, it's what made a game like U7 the classic it is (beyond the story) and kept me going at WoW when nothing else would.  EQ2 also had kind of a great world...whereas I was disappointed in Middle Earth in LOTRO once I got outside the Shire.

I'm not impressed with the "look" of any of the zones, yet. I tried all the starter areas over the weekend and played in them up to the high single digit levels. The colours are muted and subdued for sure.
Nothing sparkling and vibrant about much of what I saw. I also didn't feel at the early levels exploring would be that much fun either. Not that type of game. It is much more open than AoC(read, no instancing every 2 minutes)..but it also has a feeling of being a bit on rails too.

But this is the thing. We want our cake and eat it too. This game isn't about exploring so much as its about RvR.. There is a PvE world, but you can tell right away that isn't the priority of the developers at all.
So, to have big battles with all kinds of stuff going on in PvP dictates that the graphic load on PC's be minimal...Smooth PvP and 5 year old graphics, or stunning graphics and a slide show on most PC's..

But after the initial let down of the game world graphics things pick up from there. As long as you know what type of game Warhammer is going in, you'll enjoy yourself alot.
IMO.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 25, 2008, 01:37:25 AM

2 healing classes fighting is like watching 2 healing spec paladins fight.

You haven't seen the Fury from EQ2 then. Of course, the class was designed to be a kickass spellcaster in addition to a healer. Why so many people play them.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »

Well, I've played a bit in the Preview and it's generally been fun.  Nothing particularly groundbreaking here in the areas of graphics or general solo questing, but the Public Quests have been fun (although I don't know how they will make them fair for non-DPS classes).  

One of my biggest concerns is on balance.  I know this has been discussed before, but on all the servers I played, numbers were HORRIBLY skewed towards Dark Elves (compared to High Elves) and Greenskins (compared to Dwarves).  The human factions were a bit more randomly balanced.  Sadly, when you consider it, the balancing issues make sense and were not good design decisions by Mythic.  Dark Elves are so blatantly sexified that the High Elves would have lots of trouble competing.  On top of it, the Dark Elves have the Sorcerer/ess, which is the mage dps character, generally at the top of the most popular class archetype list in any MMORPG.  With the Greenskin v. Dwarves, the Greenskins have much more variety - from the more interesting starting area to the fact that the Greenskin tank is actually a different looking Greenskin while the Dwarves all look very similar.  I'm no Warhammer knowledge-base, but it would have been better if the Dwarf tank was something "Norse" in the Warhammer lore but not a Dwarf, if you know what I mean, to create some more flavors.  In any case, all of the regions have a victory indicator indicating who is winning in that paticular region between the arch-rivals, and the general outcome was as I describe above.

I would also like to see more character customization.  This may be in place for the release, but it's disheartening to start in the High Elf region and see a bunch of the same-looking robed elves running around doing quests.  And they are all the same height.  Guess this is like WoW, but it kind of reminds me why I like EQ2 so much, or even Vanguard to a lesser extent - the sheer variety of races is just immersive, and you see them right from the start. 

I haven't done much RvR yet, but I'm guessing the scenarios may be a bit more balanced due to the fact that they queue scenarios. 

You get contributions for healing. At the Tier One PQ in the starting area I was able to get the number one slot (400 contribution and a 900+ roll) with a blue bag loot drop. I was playing a Zealot
They have placed lots of factors into determining the drop including providing a bonus for the longer you stay in the PQ area without winning anything.
It will reset if you leave the PQ area for any reason including death.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on August 25, 2008, 03:46:09 PM

You get contributions for healing. At the Tier One PQ in the starting area I was able to get the number one slot (400 contribution and a 900+ roll) with a blue bag loot drop. I was playing a Zealot
They have placed lots of factors into determining the drop including providing a bonus for the longer you stay in the PQ area without winning anything.
It will reset if you leave the PQ area for any reason including death.

Yeah, playing a bit more last night I noticed that.  However, it still seems like some of the instant ranged DoT dpsers have a bit of an advantage over say the melee fighters who actually have to get within ranged to do significant damage.  I saw plenty of Sorcerer/ess characters running around in the PQs I was in just spamming their DoT instants on anything that moves.  Time will tell I suppose whether it all balances out.  That said, the PQs were still lots of fun, especially if they have more variety in loot when it goes live.  On the three PQs I won in T1 with my dark elf, I had the same selection of loot to choose from out of the lesser bag I won. 

I do hope they improve the look of High Elves for release so they look a bit more on par with the dark elves.  I ran around for 6 levels last night as a Shadow Warrior and the running animation was just plain bleh. 
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »

I think I'm with DArtagnan about being a bit skeptical about WAR. Granted I only played for one evening during a level 30 focus test. I was surprised at just how few abilities a level 30 character has and more surprised at how few of those abilities had an interesting mechanic built into them. It seemed like 95% of all the abilities I read about (on a few different classes) were all variants of damage or heal. I did see some simplistic CC's and the taunt/detaunt mechanic was OK, but I sure didn't see anything that I thought would force me to make critical decisions in combat or to use adaptive tactics.

I am a huge fan of Magic, the Gathering and have even designed a few card games and board games. I live, eat, and breath combat interactions and game mechanics. IMO the greatest strength of WoW is the uniqueness of every class and how they interact with the world in different ways. This is even more so with CoX and its myriad of effects like fear, confuse, disorient, stun, hold, knockback, drains, toggles, cones, teleports, etc. I don't know enough about WAR to say that all the classes are the same, but I do know that the differences are more subtle than they are in other games. They also lack a lot of the uniqueness that defines classes in other games.

I know they did this for balance reasons. Its not easy to balance unique effects and abilities. IMO they took the cheap way out and instead of including powerful abilities and counter abilities, they chose not to include them at all or at least to water them down so much that they are almost insignificant. Some people will probably really appreciate it. I just don't think I'll be one of them.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »

So annoyed that I missed the preview weekend due to being out of town this past week, getting home just after midnight last night, just in time to miss the whole thing.  Now I've got the client downloaded, and have to wait two weeks for the open beta to start.

I'm really not sure what the logic is in waiting to start the open beta ten days before launch.  Any data they get from load testing is going to be very difficult to act on, so basically it comes down to it being a PR stunt.  Mildly annoying, especially for those of us who preordered the collector's edition from Gamestop and got jacked out of the CE codes that would've likely gotten us into the closed beta, thus forcing us to wait an extra month.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on August 25, 2008, 05:07:54 PM

I think I'm with DArtagnan about being a bit skeptical about WAR. Granted I only played for one evening during a level 30 focus test. I was surprised at just how few abilities a level 30 character has and more surprised at how few of those abilities had an interesting mechanic built into them. It seemed like 95% of all the abilities I read about (on a few different classes) were all variants of damage or heal. I did see some simplistic CC's and the taunt/detaunt mechanic was OK, but I sure didn't see anything that I thought would force me to make critical decisions in combat or to use adaptive tactics.

I am a huge fan of Magic, the Gathering and have even designed a few card games and board games. I live, eat, and breath combat interactions and game mechanics. IMO the greatest strength of WoW is the uniqueness of every class and how they interact with the world in different ways. This is even more so with CoX and its myriad of effects like fear, confuse, disorient, stun, hold, knockback, drains, toggles, cones, teleports, etc. I don't know enough about WAR to say that all the classes are the same, but I do know that the differences are more subtle than they are in other games. They also lack a lot of the uniqueness that defines classes in other games.

I know they did this for balance reasons. Its not easy to balance unique effects and abilities. IMO they took the cheap way out and instead of including powerful abilities and counter abilities, they chose not to include them at all or at least to water them down so much that they are almost insignificant. Some people will probably really appreciate it. I just don't think I'll be one of them.

I don't even know how to respond to posts like this.  Clearly you didn't actually play the game or make any attempt to really play the game before throwing out these generalizations.  But as you've said, to each his own. 
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 25, 2008, 08:36:20 PM

I don't even know how to respond to posts like this.  Clearly you didn't actually play the game or make any attempt to really play the game before throwing out these generalizations.  But as you've said, to each his own. 

Yes, clearly, those of us who're not satisfied with class designs are completely blind and unable to form any kind of coherent opinion. I guess the last decade of playing nearly every single MMO in existence has taught me nothing about the genre and I certainly can't read the ability text. No, we didn't even attempt to play the game, we're just throwing this out there because there's a chance it'll annoy a fan of the game.

Has it occurred to you that maybe because WE don't think there's enough variety, it's still quite possible for YOU to think otherwise. There's no law to define what must be there for sufficient variety in class design, now is there?

Taste could be a factor.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on August 25, 2008, 08:46:47 PM

Quote from: rittchard on August 25, 2008, 08:36:20 PM

Yes, clearly, those of us who're not satisfied with class designs are completely blind and unable to form any kind of coherent opinion. I guess the last decade of playing nearly every single MMO in existence has taught me nothing about the genre and I certainly can't read the ability text. No, we didn't even attempt to play the game, we're just throwing this out there because there's a chance it'll annoy a fan of the game.

Has it occurred to you that maybe because WE don't think there's enough variety, it's still quite possible for YOU to think otherwise. There's no law to define what must be there for sufficient variety in class design, now is there?

Taste could be a factor.

Well, one would think that "one evening" of game play during a "level 30 focus test" would be sufficient to judge the subtleties of each of 20 class structures.

DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 25, 2008, 09:01:26 PM

Well, one would think that "one evening" of game play during a "level 30 focus test" would be sufficient to judge the subtleties of each of 20 class structures.

Maybe that's why he used words like "it seemed" and "I don't know enough about WAR..."

I don't see why you need to understand every subtlety of every class to get a general feel for how they're designed. It's not like the game is a revolution in terms of class design. The class design is what it is, and they've done nothing to hide it.

I have no idea why people get so upset about this. No matter how much you want to deny it, they (the classes) are such that SOME people won't find ENOUGH variety. You can read comments to that effect all over the net.

It won't matter if we play it for months on end. We might end up "dealing with it" or find enough little nuances to make us happy, but the overall design philosophy is extremely apparent and there's nothing anyone can say to make that go away.

Deal with it already.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on August 25, 2008, 09:18:55 PM

Maybe that's why he used words like "it seemed" and "I don't know enough about WAR..."

I don't see why you need to understand every subtlety of every class to get a general feel for how they're designed. It's not like the game is a revolution in terms of class design. The class design is what it is, and they've done nothing to hide it.

I have no idea why people get so upset about this. No matter how much you want to deny it, they (the classes) are such that SOME people won't find ENOUGH variety. You can read comments to that effect all over the net.

It won't matter if we play it for months on end. We might end up "dealing with it" or find enough little nuances to make us happy, but the overall design philosophy is extremely apparent and there's nothing anyone can say to make that go away.

Deal with it already.

Hell, I haven't played at all.  I very well may agree with you if I ever try it.  Heck, I think the same thing about LOTRO - with only 5 classes and limited customization, they become very generic.  One minstrel can replace another and the difference is negligible, whereas a priest in WoW is very different depending on whether he's shadow, holy or discipline.

If you've played WAR for a fair amount of time, you have every right to that opinion.  It seemed that you did and I found your comments insightful.  But the other poster played almost nil (in the grand scheme of things) and therefore can't really make an informed judgement.  While it may be a concern to him, it was posed as almost a certainty and not really a question/concern.

Having done some research but with zero gameplay, I'm certainly not an informed user.  It appears that there is a direct counterpart for a class on each side, but significant differences amongst the classes with similar roles (like healing) on the same side. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:32:47 PM by Blackadar » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on August 25, 2008, 09:18:55 PM

Deal with it already.

And this is the opinion of a guy who can't give one concrete example yet those people who disagree with him have already given several examples.

I'm sorry but comparing a Melee DPS class in Order with a Melee DPS class in Destruction and then telling everyone that there is no variety between classes is just dumb.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »

I don't mind that people have varied opinions on the game or skills or classes, that's to be expected.  But if you are going to throw out broad generalizations or say something specifically like a character has "so few abilities" compared to another game - you should be prepared to back that up with details and/or experience played in the game.  I personally have played over a hundred hours in beta, and I still feel less than qualified to comment about the majority of the classes, and even the couple I am most familiar with I would hesitate to proclaim expert knowledge of. 

When I logged in to the lvl 30 test, I was absolutely overwhelmed and actually felt there were *too many* skills to handle.  I literally filled up 2 hotbars worth of skills (so that's 20+), plus 3 tactics slots and 4 morale slots.  It took me about 15 minutes to throw together a build so I could get started.  Keep in mind proper choice of tactics can be critical to how a build plays, and the Morale abilities are class/build/game changers as well.  And of course as in other games your build will determine whether you even get access to some critical spells/tactics, etc.

So just to put my money where my mouth is, I'll attempt to, as a single example, list some of the Bright Wizard abilities, keeping in mind the BW is designed theoretically/primarily as a "simple" ranged DPS class.  This info is from Wardb and memory:

Scorched earth - instant cast PBAoE damage
Fiery blast - ranged AoE (fireball type) damage
Rain of Fire - instant cast, location based AoE DoT
Choking smoke - instant cast Hex with target based AoE 5 second  silence effect
Annhilate - PBAoE held (forgot the term to use) DoT, at the cost of damage to yourself
Spreading Flames - extra DoT, but only on a Hexxed enemy
Favorable winds - instacast buff that extends the radius of all your AoE effects by 50% for 20 seconds
Conflagration of doom - similar to Rain of Fire with larger radius
Detonate - dmg + AoE DoT on a hexxed target
Playing with fire - hex that makes all healing 50% less effective
Boiling blood - DoT with resistance reduction
Flame Shield - retaliatory shield/proc
Slow Boil - Hex, for 10 seconds opponent's skills take 5sec longer to recharge
Withering Heat - held DoT + snare effect
Wall of Fire - creates wall of fire in front of you for 8 seconds that does DoT to anyone who touches it
Sear - basic nuke, 1s cast time
Pyroclastic Surge - nuke +disorientation Hex (if hexed), all skills take 1s longer to build up
Searing vitality - tactic if chosen adds a heal effect to Sear
Burning Iron - mild nuke + loss of 50AP
Draining Burn - tactic that improves Burning Iron dmg AND you get 50AP in addition
Fireball Barrage - stream of fireballs, 3 hits over 3 seconds, also does AoE dmg
Burning Head - huge dmg + AoE AND -600 morale to target

There's a lot more stuff, including an instacast AoE root and a couple of 3second cast nukes you get early on.  Oh yeah, forgot to mention that many/most skills help you build up "combustion" - which depending on how much you have built up has a separate attack effect.

- - -

OK, so yes, this class is primarily about damage and different forms of damage.  But holy crap, it has pretty much every damage option  you can imagine (area affects, damage over time, ranged, personal based, target based, location based, spammable, etc etc) and obviously you can spec to make these work best the way you like.  Now look deeper, on top of pure damage in all its forms, there are a lot of "specials".  Crowd control in the form of snares, AP (basically like mana) reduction, morale reduction, Guild Wars like hexes that make skills take longer to recharge, skill to make healing ineffective, resistance debuff, skills to change base nature of other skills (adding healing effect or AP return)... 

I've played a ton of RPGs in my lifetime, and as I said before, personally I find it all a bit overwhelming.  It took me basically the whole weekend just to get this class playing to my personal skill/ability to level 11, let alone worrying about endgame options!  So it boggles my mind when someone casually dismisses the classes as seemingly being lacking in options.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:30:28 PM by rittchard » Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:59 AM »

personally I find it all a bit overwhelming
Ive only played a couple weeks, but I have to agree with Ritt.

The shear amount of abilities is staggering and pretty cool.  an example as shadow warrior you can attack with range, or close in, or skirmish ( which is to hit an move) , you can shoot arrows to take down armor ratings, you can get close and stun, you can nerf attackers damage against you as long as you dont hit em again, you can shoot fire arrows that does ae damage, or you can attack to reduce opponents ability to be healed, or you can disarm opponent, or you can silence enemies,  AND THAT IS JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, and probably only incorporates 1/3 of what you can do.  AND you have to make up your mind how to appraoch each encounter in pvp in a second or two,  and you have 30 or so options!!

So I appreciate that anyone can have an opinion, and to each their own, but to say this game has limited abilities is just plain wrong.

In WOW I pvped over a thousand hours at endgame, and to be honest I used maybe 5 or 6 skills TOPS.  In War I was level 11 and had about a dozen abilities and I was USING THEM ALL.  Unlike other games, EVERY skill/ability you get really has a part to play in pvp. 

In war if you are a pvp 2 button spammer, you are gonna suck.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:12:59 AM by TC Weidner » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:42 AM »

This is what my tank's hotbar looks like at level 30:

1. 40% snare + damage + improves with grudge
2. If someone run away from me I use Punishing Blow - deals damage to moving targets
3. AoE attack that ignores armor + knocks back target + improves with grudge
4. Knockback that does damage and knocks target away
5. Taunt that makes my damage 30% higher on target
6. Attack that increases my armor
7. Big hit attack + improves with grudge
8. Throw attack
9. Aoe Taunt
10. Snare break
11. Sprint

Alt-1. AoE attack + AoE snare + improves with grudge
Alt-2. AoE root
Alt-3. Attack that increase my Str and other stats + improves with grudge
Alt-4. Buff that increases my magic resist and autoattack speed if I'm being hit with magic + costs grudge
Alt-5. Attack that debuffs target of damage
Alt-6. Buff that increases my defence and defence of everyone behind me
Alt-7. Swap grudge for ability pts
Alt-8. Select my Oathfriend (way to collect grudge)
Alt-9. Select the target to Guard (if I'm within 30m of this target, I can protect him from damage)

The way an Ironbreaker works is that you have to collect grudge for some of these skills to become effective.  So just spamming some attacks randomly is not going to be effective.

A lot of the skills are situational so you really have to be aware of a lot of factors: who you are fighting, what situation the skill is particularly effective, where everyone is in relation to you etc.  At the same time you have to use body blocking to try to control the enemies mobility.  You also have to maintain your pool of "Grudge".  Don't forget that a lot of the attacks are conal so you will see a lot of circle strafing going on in a fight.  Those are a lot of things to take into account and it could take you many hours before you master all of the nuances of playing a tank in WAR.

I consider myself a very competitive PvP player and I've been playing tanks for ages.  I don't find the implementation of a tank in WAR to be simple compared to other MMOs (I've played tanks in CoH, VG, EQ1/2, WoW, SB, GW, AoC and a few more).

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2008, 04:53:41 AM »

Just to make sure I wasn't exaggerating, I designed a R31 Bright Wizard.  Used 23 of 24 hotbar slots, all 4 morale slots and 3 tactics slots.  As TC/skystride emphasized, the big thing is all of these skills are useful under different conditions.

In PvE 1v1, I generally use about 5 or 6 keys (on top of 2 pre-cast buffs).  Hex DoT, Debuff DoT, Exploder, Sear (with heal tactic), combustion exploder and possibly PBAoE nuke.  If things turn awry, I hit my armor buff and run.

For PvE against multiples, this changes to armor buff, AoE nuke for pulling, AoE snare, PBAoE damage, Sear for mini heal.  Targeted AoE (Rain of Fire).  Haven't done much of this yet, still experimenting.

In PvP 1v1 I had some trouble - as TC mentions you have 1 or 2 seconds to react and 20 skills to choose from - but did OK on my first night out.  Snare is very useful, and I combined it with my specced snare+dmg spell.  Also mixed in the Hexes and DoTs.  Armor buff is crucial, the Searing heal is not a lifesaver but a decent refreshed when you are soloing.  In a larger war situation, AoE nukes from afar, debuffs, explosions, more hexxing, all sorts of options open up when you aren't the number one target.  For tight in battles against multiple opponents, I chose a tactic that boosts my damage 25% at close range, combining that with the PBAoE snare and PBAoE damage spam.  I know I'm squishy but I'm gonna take some folks with me if they come at me in a bunch.  Lots of fun and lots of options.

- - -

Not to belabor the issue, but saying you don't like a game's combat or graphics or style or "feel" is all fine with me from a subjective point of view.  I have no problems with those kinds of impressions and comments.  But throwing out blanket, seemingly objective statements with no factual basis, to me, borders on trolling.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2008, 08:27:53 AM »

I don't really know how to convey my problem with the class designs, because it requires an open mind about what I'm saying. It requires you - first of all - to trust me when I say I've really played the game and I've really tested various classes and I've read what the abilities for many classes do. No, my playtime wasn't that long. I think I've played a combined 20 hours or so. My max level is 15. So no, I don't really know the end-game. I do know what I read, and I do know what other players have said. Many agree with you, some don't.

Listen to this, because I really mean it. It's not that there's no variety in terms of abilites. It's not that there are too few abilties. It's that - TO ME - the variety doesn't constitute ENOUGH of a difference. I look at your list, and I see your point. You have your snares, you have your AoE, you have your dots, etc. Yes - the standard MMO stuff. So why am I not happy then? It could be that I'm just throwing something out without having thought about it - or it could be that my personal perception of what's unique is different.

In WoW - for instance - abilites feel distinct. Let's take Gouge, as an example. It's a rogue CC. So it's just a CC like any other right? No, not really. It has a VERY distinct sound, it has a very distinct visual indicator, it has a very specific and limited use, it differs in key ways from every other CC in the game. It builds a combo point, and it's extremely short - and it must be used from in front of the enemy. It breaks on damage, unlike stuns. I know this isn't a sufficient explanation - but it's very much about the FEEL of abilities.

In WAR, I really had a hard time figuring out what abilities were successfully used, because the sounds are weak, the animations are weak and the overall combat system is just DULL. Looking at the ability lists at trainers for the classes I tried, I really saw the same numbers for all classes. I tried 5-6 and at least 3 of them got the exact same AoE snare at the exact same level - with the exact same numbers. I don't know - maybe I was extremely unlucky and all the other classes have totally unique stuff.

Beyond that, there's just nothing - during combat - about them that make them stand out and indicate to the players that THIS just happened, this cool ability. It's just another buff/debuff icon that feels like all the others. There are exceptions, naturally, like the Engineer turrets and the Squigherder pets. But those are exceptions in my experience, and not the rule.

Anyway, I'm not home right now - and I'll try to explain this better when I get the time. But the key I'd really love for you guys to appreciate is that I'm not claiming there's no variety and that all abilities are the same. It's simply that there's nowhere near enough flavor to satisfy ME. I really do see 4 classes with a handful of subtle differences, with very few signature abilities.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »

dude, come on. you're being absolutely unreasonable. you admit that your playtime is small, you admit that you barely scratched the surface of what the levels have to offer and still you make a sweeping generalization like that? come on now, you can't expect anyone to take you serious.

ok i had 2 locks i took to rank 11 in wow, this is way, way before any of the pvp changes. you know how many skills i really used? about 6. yes 6. you know how many skills i was using on my level 18 dok? all of them sans the detaunt since that doesn't work in pvp. just because you can't see how useful some skills are doesn't mean they all suck. some are situation, yes, but most of them have a use.

i mean it's fairly obvious this game isn't for you, we get that, we couldn't care less. many mmo's aren't for me, war isn't one of them. but please don't make ridiculous claims like you know the game when you, yourself, have stated you don't.

here, this was on warhammer alliance. pretty much pertains to you:

If you enjoy MMO PvP, and you are not terrible at games, then you will enjoy WAR.

First, classes and abilities.

WAR has a *gasp* skill gap! Each class has tons of abilities, which viewed in isolation by a bad player (i.e., most of the people who play games), may appear to be of trivial value. However, smart, skilled gamers (you know who you are), will quickly realize that there is much more depth to the combat system than that discerned by the superficial baddies.

Sure, each class has a few core abilities that can be spammed against stunned players when the zerg is on your side (i.e., you're playing Destro) to get you some kills and make you feel uber. (Yay 40 v. 10 victory! Screenshot that!) In this way, WAR caters to the bad players who don't have (and never will have) any clue what they are doing.

However, WAR also provides you with a host of other skills, abilities, and tactics, that provide you with the tools to do the "little things" that really separate the wheat from the chaff in online gaming. People complain that combat in WAR is one-dimensional. I submit to you the following: those players are bad.

Still, WAR is easy. It could be harder. Personally, I'd rather have 300 buttons at my disposal and 1000 different possible options to select from in any given combat situation. I want to play jazz with my gaming, making quick, spontaneous decisions that come naturally to top-level gamers, but that a bad player wouldn't be able to understand even if they played the game for 1000 hours. WAR is not that, but we should be glad it isn't. If it were, there would only be about 100 of us playing it and Mythic wouldn't have the corporate support it needs to continue to add features to WAR and make it the great MMO that it will become.

The fact is, WAR caters to both levels of gamers -- the good and the bad. You'll see when you get in. Resist the urge to write off your abilities as wortheless or to only use a handful of them. They (most) all have a use, if you're smart and creative. (Disclaimer: The game is still in beta; there are still some useless abilities and features that need to be ironed out, but man, this is the most polished beta I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.)

Group PvP anybody?

There is a skill gap involved in playing each class. However, that's just the very tip of the iceberg. The *real* skill gap, and where the complexity of the combat system really shines, is in group combat. Any skilled strategist reviewing the various classes and class abilities will immediately recognize hundreds of effective class and ability combinations that can be employed in your efforts to achieve RvR domination. It's astounding.

A smart 6-man group will be able to wreak absolute hell on zergs in RvR. The time to kill in the game is relatively high, balanced around the fact that you will occasionally get a beating by a zerg in RvR, and while you will certainly die, you probably won't do so quite as quickly as you'd expect. With smart healing, buffs, debuffs, guards, CC, and the clever use of terrain (ninja gamers get PUMPED), you will feel like it's Christmas when it comes to sorting out strats and teamwork for group competition.

You'll /laugh the first time your small group of three smart players rick-rolls a group of about 6-7 baddies who can't micromanage the numerous tactics and abilities necessary to succesfully compete in group RvR combat. And, if you give that group the beat down after popping out of a stealth bush in Praag, you sir will become a true ROFL ninja.

Soloers beware.

Be warned. WAR does not cater to soloers. You might be able to open-world ninja gank some awful idiot PvE'er that, for Gork only knows what reason, is participating in PvE instead of PvP leveling. However, beyond that, open world 1v1's are few and far between. The main issue you'll confront is the roving zerg. You will be putting the absolute beat down on some awful player, and inevitably, some stupid rover will come by and either start beating on you or start beating on the person you are beating on.

I hope that it becomes common courtesy to let players finish off the 1v1's. I do it already. However, at present, interference is the norm in 1v1's. If you're playing Destro, the interference will likely be in your favor. If you're playing Order, expect that you're sure win 1v1 will often end with a pug pack of Destro warbands stomping you to bits in < 5 seconds.

The Combat System

The responsiveness of the combat system needs a bit more work, but having been in the beta for over a year, I know for a FACT (you can read it in a book) that Mythic, aka uber developers who actually care, will fix it. They already have fixed several major issues with the combat system. At present, it's pretty darn good. It could be better, and it will be. Which brings me to my last point...

Mythic

Say what you will about the game. Like it, love it, leave it, or hate it. Mythic is an absolutely top-notch developer. I have never seen a beta run as smoothly or as professionally as Mythic's WAR beta (and I'm old by gaming standards, 27, and I've seen a few). The men and women at Mythic both deserve and have earned the beta community's respect. (Or at least those of us who have actually participated in beta over the past year, instead of dropping by to complain that a BETA is not perfect.)

The community support, interaction, and customer service is unparalleled. If there's a problem, Mythic will fix it. If there's a feature that can be added to make WAR better, Mythic will add it. Fact is, this is BETA. And even in beta, the game is darn good. I can only imagine what this game will become with time. Actually, I can: The greatest PvP MMO we've seen in a long time. One that requires skill, communication, coordination, and discipline. If you don't like it, I hear Maple Story is fun.

(Shameless personal playing preference plug: Mythic, let's get an opt-in loot system in the game ASAP. I'm thinking something that allows players to wager money on their own heads and gives them the opportunity to then gain or lose up to that amount depending on the wagers placed by the players they kill/die to.)

See that plug? I guarantee you somebody at Mythic will read it and think about it, probably many people. Ever felt that way about another developer? These guys are paying close attention. Mythic isn't in this for the money. (EA, maybe, but Mythic has made a gallant effort to resist corporate pressure, even if at times it may become irresistible.)

And so the rant ends.

That's all players. In WAR you have an MMO with lots of PvP, a skill gap (both for individual combat and group combat), and the best developer you could ever hope to get on the case. GET NINJA PUMPED.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: