http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:47:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer: Best fleshed out class, worst fleshed out class?  (Read 19856 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »

This weekend of messing with Warhammer was to be a time just to get a feel for all the classes. Not very high, but still just getting a feel for those that are ready for prime time.

My favorite so far would be a toss up between the Archmage and the Bright Wizard. There is a reason the BW is very popular.......

Didn't like the engineer...Can't see him being very effective in open-field PvP...Great for Keep defense though, I guess...Needs work.

I'll just leave it at that. I have opinions on a few more classes, but I'm interested in hearing what "your" experience has been like.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »

I am unfortunately not in, but would love to hear more impressions on the White Lion class as it is what I am most interested in playing. (Although I will admit seeing screen shots of the Bright Wizard have me tempted).
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »

What I have heard about the WL's is that pet pathing needs a major tweaking. But also that when things are working right they can be very devestating.

Don't try running from them when the pet is pathing right...... nod

Pet classes always seem to have their fair share of development troubles. The danger is they can become so over powered, so what I've found in other games they tend to get nerfed the other way.
PvE pet classes always seem to be one of the best, but PvP, they don't always fair so well. Real life players tend to just ignore the pet and ground and pound the pet master.

Would be nice if you could "customize" your own lion.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 23, 2008, 01:25:03 PM

What I have heard about the WL's is that pet pathing needs a major tweaking. But also that when things are working right they can be very devestating.

Don't try running from them when the pet is pathing right...... nod

Pet classes always seem to have their fair share of development troubles. The danger is they can become so over powered, so what I've found in other games they tend to get nerfed the other way.
PvE pet classes always seem to be one of the best, but PvP, they don't always fair so well. Real life players tend to just ignore the pet and ground and pound the pet master.

Yeah typically pet classes don't do as well in RvR if the pet is easy enough to ignore.  I think from reading with the white lion class that it is a melee oriented class so unlike say the Hunter in WoW, you won't be trying to stay at range, so it will be easier to have the pet + master always in range doing damage.  At least that is my hope.  I did see something on the site that indicated as the Lion levels up the Master can sort of customize it's look, tho perhaps I am mistaken.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 23, 2008, 01:25:03 PM

yeah, it'd be nice if you could use the armor dyes on it.  Imagine the possibilities!  Blood Clot Red mane with a snot yellow body!  I'd dye my all green and refer to him as a leprechaun  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »

Didn't like the engineer...Can't see him being very effective in open-field PvP...Great for Keep defense though, I guess...Needs work.

According to Mythic, engineers are going to have a pretty big revamp in the next few days. The changes inlcude an instant "turret re-deploy" ability, which is - IMO - a much needed change. A lot of changes to the Tinkerer tree, including an Electromagnet ability that pulls all enemies in a certain radius to one spot. Land mines also sound cool. Especially combined with Electromagnet. smile

Mythic also said that they screwed pet pathing in the last push (although to be honest I thought that it always sucked smile) and that they are working on improving it.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on August 25, 2008, 03:43:53 PM

According to Mythic, engineers are going to have a pretty big revamp in the next few days. The changes inlcude an instant "turret re-deploy" ability, which is - IMO - a much needed change. A lot of changes to the Tinkerer tree, including an Electromagnet ability that pulls all enemies in a certain radius to one spot. Land mines also sound cool. Especially combined with Electromagnet. smile

Mythic also said that they screwed pet pathing in the last push (although to be honest I thought that it always sucked smile) and that they are working on improving it.

That is good news. They need to up the cool factor on Dwarves somehow. At the risk of repeating myself, make Dwarves taller and less fat. More like a 5ft tall wrestler...
Armor would look better on them, and people wouldn't feel like they were playing an over weight midget from some small town circus.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 25, 2008, 03:56:03 PM

That is good news. They need to up the cool factor on Dwarves somehow. At the risk of repeating myself, make Dwarves taller and less fat. More like a 5ft tall wrestler...
Armor would look better on them, and people wouldn't feel like they were playing an over weight midget from some small town circus.

Wouldn't be Warhammer if they changed the dwarves that much.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2008, 05:11:49 PM

Quote from: Arclight on August 25, 2008, 03:56:03 PM

Wouldn't be Warhammer if they changed the dwarves that much.

Then that will be the game's loss. Its just the plain truth of it. Blizzard knew they couldn't stick "totally" to the Warcraft lore. Neither can Mythic.
The Dwarves are so stupid looking, people are avoiding them. Why keep it that way? For the purists? Again, their loss.
Same as the H-Elves.....I knew the feminizing of Men was a fact of real life, but not my games as well....Give them a pair and be done with it.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 25, 2008, 06:28:36 PM

Then that will be the game's loss. Its just the plain truth of it. Blizzard knew they couldn't stick "totally" to the Warcraft lore. Neither can Mythic.
The Dwarves are so stupid looking, people are avoiding them. Why keep it that way? For the purists? Again, their loss.
Same as the H-Elves.....I knew the feminizing of Men was a fact of real life, but not my games as well....Give them a pair and be done with it.

You are generalizing just because you don't like Dwarves much.  For every vocal Dwarf hater there are probably just as many people who think that they look great.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »

I hate dwarves in every game, and these are by far the coolest, most bad-ass looking dwarves ever.  Your opinion is not the majority on this one.  Maybe they look TOO bad-ass for you, you've mentioned you don't like the evil or 'bad' sides in games.  That pretty much includes EVERY race in the Warhammer lore.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 25, 2008, 06:53:57 PM

Quote from: Arclight on August 25, 2008, 06:28:36 PM

You are generalizing just because you don't like Dwarves much.  For every vocal Dwarf hater there are probably just as many people who think that they look great.

Not at all. Go to the official forums..do a search........Im not generalizing at all. Now, are you a betting man?

I bet that there are WAAAAAY more haters of the Dwarf model in Warhammer than those that like them.
Lets see if its just me or not.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2008, 07:10:57 PM

I hate dwarves in every game, and these are by far the coolest, most bad-ass looking dwarves ever.  Your opinion is not the majority on this one.  Maybe they look TOO bad-ass for you, you've mentioned you don't like the evil or 'bad' sides in games.  That pretty much includes EVERY race in the Warhammer lore.

Looking to get into mate?
Sheesh, nothing like baiting me. shooo, go away.

Some people can't stand when someone has an opinion that doesn't jibe with theirs....I think its called insecurity.

DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »

Even as someone who's not a fan - I have to say I think that's a pretty subjective statement attempting to appear objective Arclight.

The dwarves appeared just right to me - and I have nothing for or against the race.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »

If people don't play dwarfs then they don't play the best healing class in the game- The Rune Priest. Fuck yes. That is my main character class.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »

I generally don't like dwarf classes at all in games, but these are the best looking dwarves I've seen in a game yet.  I mean I actually thought some of the models looked HOT, so that's saying a lot for me. thumbsup
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

Ok, so you all like the Dwarf models.......thats great. Shouldn't be any need to worry about a vastly underplayed race then.

Basically..........for me............End of.

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 12:04:58 AM »

Actually during the preview this weekend the topic of the "dwarven" model was raised a number of times in various groups I was in. The question kept coming up why there seemed to be a serious lack of tanks for Order, especially in light of the hordes of Chosen and Black Orc's you seem to face in RvR. Quite a few folks expressed their distaste with the look of the dwarves and hence did not want to play an Ironbreaker. As to the Swordmaster a High Elf tank in what astetically look like robes just seemed pretty silly and alot of dissapointment was expressed over the removal of the Empire Knight.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 01:49:45 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 25, 2008, 08:19:38 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2008, 07:10:57 PM

Looking to get into mate?
Sheesh, nothing like baiting me. shooo, go away.

Some people can't stand when someone has an opinion that doesn't jibe with theirs....I think its called insecurity.

Not baiting you at all, though you are getting awfully confrontational and defensive. (which shows insecurity, see two can play that game.)

I pointed out a reason why you might perceive things that way given your perceptions in other areas, and that your perceptions don't match the majority.  Neither of those is 'baiting'.  I'm not telling you your opinion is wrong, since it's an opinon and they can't be wrong.  I am telling you that it's not going to be that big of an issue because most people don't share that opinion.

Your comment about 5ft tall dwarves did remind me of the comedian who used to joke that his dad took him to the worse circus ever with things like 'World's tallest midget!' and 'The Bearded Man!'
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:06 AM »

Quote from: Abaddon on August 26, 2008, 12:04:58 AM

Actually during the preview this weekend the topic of the "dwarven" model was raised a number of times in various groups I was in. The question kept coming up why there seemed to be a serious lack of tanks for Order, especially in light of the hordes of Chosen and Black Orc's you seem to face in RvR. Quite a few folks expressed their distaste with the look of the dwarves and hence did not want to play an Ironbreaker. As to the Swordmaster a High Elf tank in what astetically look like robes just seemed pretty silly and alot of dissapointment was expressed over the removal of the Empire Knight.

Most of the people I know that have said they don't like the look of the dwarves (except Arclight obviously) don't like the look of dwarves in general.  It wasn't specific to the way WAR portrays them.  I think people just want a tank option on Order that isn't a tall skinny effeminate elf or a short stocky stout dwarf.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31:19 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 26, 2008, 01:52:06 AM

Most of the people I know that have said they don't like the look of the dwarves (except Arclight obviously) don't like the look of dwarves in general.  It wasn't specific to the way WAR portrays them.  I think people just want a tank option on Order that isn't a tall skinny effeminate elf or a short stocky stout dwarf.

Which I just don't get. Short stocky stout dwarf tanks a main staple of fantasy and they're tough as nails! A dwarf's constitution is their greatest attribute!

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 26, 2008, 01:52:06 AM

QFT

I really don't want to be a dwarf or a pansy elf for any character and not just a tank.  Since my friends are dead set on Order that leaves 3 classes unless I bite the bullet and just go ahead and play an elf or a dwarf (which I probably will).  At least the elfs have some good facial scarring options that lower how effeminate the look.  I just wish they had an option for a more manly hairstyle for the male elfs(if there is such a thing).   

What the heck.  I may just roll and IB.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »

I don't have the game, so am I allowed to have an opinion on the dwarfs?   icon_razz

I grew up fascinated by the Warhammer Fantasy RPG book.  I love art, and some of the pictures in that book were just so cool.   I always marvelled at how short and stocky (and muscular) the dwarfs looked in the art.  I think if they captured that look, then good for Mythic!  The idea of a barely 4' dwarf tank taking on a humongous black ork and holding his own?  Hell yeah.  Sign me up for that.

That being said, I completely understand why others would not like it, especially if the armor seems to "not fit right" or whatever. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »

Ok, one more kick at this dented bucket.

Let me put it to you this way, from my perspective. Its fantasy I know, but we try to make our fantasy games as realistic as possible, right?(might be an oxymoron there)

I look at the Dwarf models in Warhammer and go, "no way could that rolly-polly down a Black orc". There just wouldn't be any chance of that if the world was a true world.
Anatomically speaking their arms and legs are waaaay too short to generate as much power needed to swing a heavy enough axe to down an opponant 3 times its size.
Unless its using magic. And I guess that opens up another topic.

But an Ironbreaker who is portraying your "Gimli" style dwarf just isn't realistic in its fantasy setting to be believable. But although I'm not the only one who feels that way, I know that "purists" only have one vision of Dwarves. Short, fat, and clownish. Then according to that description Mythic hit the ball out of the park.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:45:30 PM by Arclight » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

Take a look at the dwarf at the cover of the warhammer fantasy rpg book...look at the chest size of the dwarf, the size of his arms, and of course, the pure savage fury in his face, testamenting to his adrenaline pumped body...

Now, take your average orc, somewhat dumb, lazy, and not really that skilled in combat, since they have size going for them...

see? stereotyping goes both ways ;-)

Anyways, I'd actually enjoy playing a dwarven tank, and rp'ing one... And, I guess I'll be needed a lot then if the above is the general consensus :-)

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:21 PM »

Arclight, you've said that majority of people agree with you about dwarves, check out this poll:
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2147

That's from the unofficial official WAR forum.

Dwarf: 493   
Empire: 510
Elf: 519

Also you hinted something about a poll on the beta boards which we are not supposed to be talking about.  Well, I didn't see anything there either that suggested people hate dwarves.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »

The chat in game nearly every day went to the dwarves and High Elf models. Thats my "real" thermometer on how people view them.
Also seen a fair share of threads on the VN boards bemoaning the Dwarf models......

But I want out of this debate........so I'll wrap up my comments with.......................

To each his own.

I think the typical Dwarf model in MMO's is just not a good one. Its fantasy, so there is no right or wrong. If I wrote a Fantasy book and had taller, more realistically built Dwarves then there isn't a person on this Earth who could say I was wrong..Fantasy is just that, Fantasy.

My Fantasy Dwarf would by 4 foot 6 inches to 5 foot tall. Barrel chested but with a waist line. Broad shoulders with proportionate biceps. Thick thighs and broad feet.
Think Mr. T at 5 foot tall.

So what ever you think of my opinion thats fine........But you can in no way say I'm wrong in wanting that. But you can tell me not to play the Warhammer Dwarf if I don't like them.

And thats the way it is.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »

Wow, you guys are taking the thread subject very literally. slywink

Anyone have comments about the way the classes play and which seem well-balanced and fun and which seem to need some work?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »

I think the Dwarf model could be better, but I'll play a Ironbreaker anyway

[fanboi on]Btw, Lockdown, that dwarf you have in that picture is Gotrek and the human with sword is Felix..   Gotrek is not your normal dwarf to say the least[/fanboi off]

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »

Since poor Arclight has had his thread derailed so well already on the art assets of the dwarf....

Here are more pictures I like.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:36:22 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

A female iron breaker on a mount:
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on August 26, 2008, 04:34:04 PM

Anyone have comments about the way the classes play and which seem well-balanced and fun and which seem to need some work?

Any class in particular you want to know about?  Balance is going to change so much as it always does in a MMO that telling you what classes are overpowered is not really going to help much.  I found most of the classes to be fun.  Some are a little slow to start because they don't get many good sills at low levels.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »

I haven't played the game yet, but I sort of like the dwarves. I've always enjoyed seeing tiny characters in MMOs kick ass, and these dwarves are almost gnome-like in their height.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »

I would note I was having great fun as an engineer during the preview weekend...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 02:55:27 AM »

Since this thread has morphed into warhammer dwarfs, yes or no, I give a big yes.  I don't normally like them in other games, but they are badass in warhammer.  Physics and anatomy be damned, Ironbreakers look cool...and they seem to live up to their name well.

Regarding the classes, I can only comment on Order up to R10.  When pet pathing and AI was working, the White Lion was probably my favorite.  Witch Hunter was next, but mostly due to the lore and class concept.  I think I actually preferred the gameplay of the White Lion.  After those 2, I played a Shadow Warrior, Engineer, Ironbreaker, and Rune Priest.  Ironbreakers are a lot of fun for a tank class.  I liked the SW because of the flexibility of the stances that can be used for different roles or situations.  The Engineer was ok, but I don't think I really got a good impression of the class by R8.  Rune Priests are strong, and have a pretty cool merlin take on the style of their robes and head gear.  If I were to play a healer, it would be RP, no question. 

It seems like choosing a class will be a tough decision for many based on how well designed most of the classes are.  Regardless of which way I go, I don't think I'll be disappointed.     
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »

Anyone played a Witch Hunter past R10? I am curious if blessed bullets of purity is working as intended or bugged. This is the 30 minute buff that adds a small bonus to your executions and heals you for 50% of the damage.
With 5 accusations my Absolution was rated at about 200 damage + 50 damage from blessed bullets should equal 250 * 50% should be around 125 point heal. Instead I was getting a 25 point heal consistently regardless of how much damage I actually did. It appears it's only taking in to account the bonus damage from the buff and not the base damage from the actual execution ability.
This is the class I really want to play at release but if bullets of purity is only going to give a measly few points of healing combined with the, IMHO, assanine stealth mechanic I may have to rethink things.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 03:19:19 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 26, 2008, 08:46:53 PM

I haven't played the game yet, but I sort of like the dwarves. I've always enjoyed seeing tiny characters in MMOs kick ass, and these dwarves are almost gnome-like in their height.

If you want to be a bad ass tank or healing class the dwarf is where it's at man. Holy shit...Rune Priest 100% all the way. I've never liked playing healing classes before but healing groups of my allies in MASSIVE RvR battles was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO since DAoC and UO during massive pvp/rvr battles.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »

Quote from: Abaddon on August 27, 2008, 03:11:49 AM

Anyone played a Witch Hunter past R10? I am curious if blessed bullets of purity is working as intended or bugged. This is the class I really want to play at release but if bullets of purity is only going to give a measly few points of healing combined with the, IMHO, assanine stealth mechanic I may have to rethink things.

This is a good question, as this is one of the classes that interests me as well.  (from reading about it that is...)

Anyone?

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »

I think it's intended that the bonus is the only part that heals.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »

Getting back to classes, I'd say most of them are in pretty good shape, especially tanks, healers, and Bright Wizard/Sorcereress.

Mythic is tweaking Engineer/Magus and Witch Hunter (not sure about Witch Elf) in the next patch to improve some of the mastery trees and for WH they're adding a 100% snare shot (I think it used to be there but they removed it so perhaps they're just adding it back in).

Classes on the "still need help" list would be Squig Herder and.... urm.... that's pretty much it. I'd say that if they can fix pet pathing, White Lion will be in pretty good shape (though there's are some class design decisions which might make the class unattractive - for instance, the only snare attack they get is on their pet).

One thing that people need to keep in mind is that not all classes have the same power curve. That's to say, that in Tier 1 scenarios, you'll see Bright Wizards and Warrior Priests destroying stuff and everyone will flock to whatever messageboards to say "waah waah, nerf BW, waah, nerf WP." Or they'll say "My Shaman gets zerged whenever I step into a scenario, buff Shaman!"

Some classes start VERY strong (and conversely, some start a bit weak) and it's not until a bit later in the game that other classes have the tools to deal with them (plus, at low ranks everyone is pretty squishy so BWs don't stand out. But at higher ranks they stay squishy, while other classes get a lot harder to kill).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: