http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 12:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanguard  (Read 1065 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:55:05 AM »

Just got the CE and am installing.

Anyone on GT currently playing?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »

Is anyone anywhere playing? smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:59:54 AM »

Yes. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:00:55 AM »

It looks like everyone's playing Pirates of the Burning Sea now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 08, 2008, 03:21:16 AM

Is anyone anywhere playing? smile

That would be my question.

In all seriousness though, based on last time I checked the game out (at least 3 months ago), the game seems to have a dedicated core group of people playing it. Sorta like EQ2, and UO, and other games that aren't WoW (short of the newest MMOs). They won't really get any more new subscribers in, but the people playing are generally happy and helpful.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

If it seems like we all rush from one game to another (like birds moving on to the next piece of bread in a park smile), it's probably because most off the world is in console land these days.

So if any PC game draws some interest from the few hardcore PC gamer types, I tend to follow like a lemming (Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning Sea and the non-MMO but fun-in-co-op Sins of a Solar Empire are all things I decided to try after reading a lot of posts from the PC gamer types here). Maybe there'll be only 5-10 people posting about it but if I sense they all have genuine enthusiasm for something, it tends to help me feel comfortable about trying something. This is my off-kilter compliment to this place. smile

I give SOE some credit for keeping things like Vanguard, The Matrix Online and Planetside with modest subscriber bases when it would be all too easy to send them to Auto Assault land. Even if Vanguard hadn't been an unfinished mess at launch, the fundamental marketing problem seemed to be that if you're saying you want your game to only appeal to hardcore gamers (which they did), then the chances of said game being a "mass" market success seem pretty thin. And if said game costs a fortune to develop, and is too niche a game to appeal to a mass market in the first place, how does the dev/publisher expect to recoupe the costs?  icon_confused I'm not suggesting the game should be dumbed down, only that if I handled marketing for that game, I would've been lost as to what to do.  paranoid

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »

Well, when I was in for the free month, the one thing that VG had going for it that some of the others don't is that people do actually group on there.  When I go on WoW, unless I'm on a level 70, I hardly ever group or see anyone in the low-level ranges.  Sure, you might be able to find some groups for instances, but it's hard to find them for anything else.  This proposal might meet with great disdain by the regular WoW players, but I think that they should allow Horde and Alliance players to group together on the non-PvP servers.  You can still keep the PvP flags and such in place, but it would be helpful in finding groups - I don't quite get why they can't talk to each-other on non-PvP servers.  Or, do what EQ2 also did (EQ2 long ago decided to allow the 2 factions to group with each-other), and allow mentoring so level 70s can level down to join up with lower level group members.  EQ2 is really ahead of its time in that regard for this kind of game.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:10:23 PM by Fez » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 03:45:43 AM »

Quote from: Fez on February 08, 2008, 08:57:26 PM

Or, do what EQ2 also did (EQ2 long ago decided to allow the 2 factions to group with each-other), and allow mentoring so level 70s can level down to join up with lower level group members.  EQ2 is really ahead of its time in that regard for this kind of game.

That always was a cool feature of EQ2. Especially since you got to keep all your powers (but at a reduced strength). You could turn your 70 into a really kickass level 1 if you wanted to. Plus the game actually encouraged it, as you'd gain AA experience for quests you haven't done yet (for whatever reason) at that level.

BTW - City of Heroes does it too. Not only can you mentor down (but lose all the powers you've gained beyond that level you mentored to), but you can sidekick somebody up to your level -1. MMOs really need to have both features, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: