http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanguard: The Beginning of the End  (Read 2287 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:18:01 AM »

I wanted to like this game, I really did. Unfortunately, as we all know, the game was launched at least 6 months early, and posts like these haven't helped matters any.

Well, after yet another completely BLANK e-mail from Sony (I shit you not - I'll do whatever you want to prove that they're all empty, and this makes 3 now), I learned from the sorta helpful (and excited?) subject field that Vanguard was merging their servers:

The much anticipated server merges will begin on Tuesday, August 28th at approximately 12:01 AM PDT. The process will take a few days and require a bit of downtime.

Okay, I don't know about you, but server merges are usually NOT anticipated at all, as it's a VERY clear sign that you're dying. Especially when your game launched not 6 months or so ago. And if you're curious, they're dropping to 4 servers (from 13) - 2 US PvE servers, 1 US PvP server, and 1 European PvE server.

Thoughts? Does anybody even play this anymore?

I wonder if my Gamestop still has that CE edition of the game on their shelves. Last time I checked, they did...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:19:16 AM »

it could be anticipated if you're someone playing who would like to see other people online at the same time  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:56:35 AM »

I'm sorry, not to be glib, but this game was truly dead on arrival.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:08 AM »

I dunno.  If I could get it for free or $10, I'd consider playingh it a month or two. *shrug* biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »

It's a shame.  Quite often these MMO's that try to go the extra yard to make things a bit more complex and/or detailed just screw things up so badly.  As a gamer, I hate to see this happen.  In my opinion, it makes a negative impression with the suits, and we end up seeing more-of-the-same in the genre as a result.  I believe this contributes to innovation happening so slowly at this time in the industry.

Rest in peace, Vanguard - we hardly knew you, and soon you will be a memory only.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »

I think it's proven in MMO's that these games need polish when they are released or they could die REAL quick.  I do see the reason for the server merge as they want to make it so that grouping in the game actually happens, therefore improving the player experience and building word of mouth.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »

In this day and age an MMO has to work well out of the box. Buy a single player game and it's buggy or has  issues people will wait for a patch or even 2 or 3 of em and try it again later and if they don't fix it will shelve the game and move on. An MMO though you pay for monthly and you know this and it feels like a rip off when they take your money and you see very little happening or you end up thinking i'm not paying for this any more.

Vanguard should give everyone who has bought it a free month like when they first bought it, that may just encourage people to retry it. They also need an option to download and play for a few weeks before you buy, this may encourage more people to give it a go.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:10:50 PM »

Let me sum up Vanguard in one quest.

I decided to be a diplomat.  It sounded unique to any MMO I've played and begged the question - can I truly level up and be powerful without fighting?  Well, I work my way through some quests and I'm near level 10 - the level where you can buy a horse.  Oh...but wait!  I'm a diplomat!  I simply go through a series of quests and at the end I get my horse for free, right?  Well...if you are a dark elf, then you can only complete this quest if you are an illusionist or a sadist.  Let me explain.

The quest starts out simple enough - talk three people into paying their debt to one individual.  You play through the minigame and manage to eek out three victories (a good bit of challenge, but nowhere near impossible).  You trek to the guy that you are collecting this loot for to close out the quest and get your horse.  *smack!* Because I'm a dark elf he is insistent on bashing me in the face until I die.  I see the quest turn-in marker over his head, but he'll have none of it.  I have two options:  Level up my faction with humans to the point where I'm not kill on sight (I'd be likely level 40 or above before this happens so I'm told) or....exploit a bug.  I cast invisibility on myself and lurk closer to my 'friend'.  Using /speak at a distance (right clicking brings you into combat range) I am able to talk to the guy.  I do the diplomacy minigame and win my horse!  Ooooh!  He apparently wants it back as he is trying to beat me to death again!  Time to mount the horse and run away.

Ok, this is a NEWBIE quest.  It is a quest that should have been played 1000s of times before any quests beyond it could be completed.  I can't have been the only person to notice this, but the issue was in the beta, and it was in launch.    You can't launch a product with this level of untested content and expect it to do well.  Couple that with constant crashing or NPCs that scream "I'm STUCK!" and won't let you interact with them and you have a game that is headed for the MMO scrap pile right quick.  I wanted to believe, but Brad McQuaid killed this product by putting on the money hat and shipping it early.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 05:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 24, 2007, 04:09:35 PM

Vanguard should give everyone who has bought it a free month like when they first bought it, that may just encourage people to retry it. They also need an option to download and play for a few weeks before you buy, this may encourage more people to give it a go.

You know, this would be a FANTASTIC idea. City of Heroes usually does it after every major patch (also known as a new Issue), and Sony does it every so often with EQ2. Would I try the game again with it? More than likely.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »

Vanguard was a train wreck when I played it for my first and only month...and that was well after some of the major patches after release.  But I would play it again if they gave me a free month.  I actually have a computer that would run it better now smile
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 06, 2007, 01:21:49 PM

Vanguard was a train wreck when I played it for my first and only month...and that was well after some of the major patches after release.  But I would play it again if they gave me a free month.  I actually have a computer that would run it better now smile

Ditto.  It'd have to be a month though as I doubt I'd bother with installing it over again for less.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 11:51:01 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 06, 2007, 01:21:49 PM

same for me.  I wonder how'd it'd perform on my new PC but I'm holding out for a free month.

Because I can,
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 03:11:34 AM »

Well after reading this thread, I wasn't smart enough to wait for a free month, resubbed, reloaded, patched, logged in. It still runs like ass.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 06:01:41 AM »

I tried it again as well.  I've upgraded my PC since I played it back at launch.  The game is still as choppy as ever, on the same settings I was running before. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 05:22:49 PM »

looks like I'll definitely be waiting for that free month.  thanks for taking the bullets guys  thumbsup

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »

Yeah, oddly enough I tried it again, but this time I have a bit more horsepower to throw at it.

It still runs a bit slowly (and pauses at all the strangest times), but it's definitely better than before IMHO. Yes, you'll still CTD for no apparent reason (the memory leaks from when the game launched are STILL around), the gameplay hasn't really changed any (it's generally regarded as a pretty hardcore game, but there's definitely lots of solo content around now), and prices are through the roof (do NOT expect to be able to use the Broker as a true n00b anytime soon).

However, the fact that there's just 4 realms (3 in the US, and one of those is a PVP only server) means that you'll actually see people for once. smile

That all said - the game looks fantastic. If you have the PC to throw the options up (and I do), there's nothing else quite like it visually.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 07:45:03 PM »

Is it down to $10 yet? biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 30, 2007, 07:45:03 PM

Is it down to $10 yet? biggrin

My Gamestop still has a lone CE edition on their shelf for $60. I'll ship it your way if you front me the money. It's rare! biggrin

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 09:14:14 PM »

Yeah.  When $60 = $10, sure. biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: