http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 02:29:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanguard free month  (Read 1462 times)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:02:07 PM »

I wanted to alert everyone to the fact that you will have a free month of access to Vanguard if you cancelled your account more than 2 months ago.  Due to the absolutely poor communication of SOE, I had no idea until I happened to glance at a forum posting.  The game has improved a wee bit (still needs more in my estimation, but good for a free month), and you can get a free flying mount through January 3 (a flying reindeer named Randolph) that helps get you around Telon for the next week.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:39:09 AM by Fez » Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »

[cough]Don't do it! [/cough]
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »

didnt vanguard suck?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:20:02 AM »

Quote from: Semaj on December 28, 2007, 01:29:35 AM

didnt vanguard suck?

Sorta, but it was also released 6 months (at least) too early.

And I checked yesterday - I didn't get the free month for whatever reason. I guess I won't try it out then. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:46:28 AM »

I didn't play after beta.

However, just picked up a copy of the CE for $20 off Ebay.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:15:35 PM »

As a former business editor, I must contribute the geeky explanation that Sigil burned through so much money developing the game that they (apparently) had no choice but to release it terribly prematurely to get some revenue back. They've said as much in interviews. Otherwise, the game probably would've gotten canceled altogether (like Gods & Heroes).

It's easy for me to say that all prematurely released games (see Hellgate: London) due is give the developer a bad name, build bad buzz and make selling the game harder. In fact, I say that all the time.  deadhorse But I assume there are sometimes financial realities where you have to choose either between releasing it that way or canceling the game because you can't find the funds to work on it anymore.

This was before SOE entered the picture as publisher/marketer (for Vanguard). It's easy to dump on SOE, but they've probably saved some marginal-subscriber base games like this and The Matrix Online from extinction. And as distributor/marketer, they're probably the only reason Pirates of the Burning Sea will have actual retail distribution (though that doesn't mean it will sell to a fickle buying public that doesn't seem interested in anything but WoW right now). I'm not sure why SOE has decided to keep adopting either games with botched launches or games with marginal size subscriber-bases, but maybe that's their new niche to fill.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »

A whole month free. Wow they may actually get 4 or 5 players on at one time with this deal. hell they might even meet up and form a group! Holy hell if that happens no telling what will implode. Horses sleeping with chickens! Democrats and Republicans agreeing! jews marrying Muslims! My god at the possibilities smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 28, 2007, 05:46:28 AM

I didn't play after beta.

However, just picked up a copy of the CE for $20 off Ebay.

You overpaid by about $20.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2007, 06:15:35 PM

As a former business editor, I must contribute the geeky explanation that Sigil burned through so much money developing the game that they (apparently) had no choice but to release it terribly prematurely to get some revenue back. They've said as much in interviews. Otherwise, the game probably would've gotten canceled altogether (like Gods & Heroes).

It's easy for me to say that all prematurely released games (see Hellgate: London) due is give the developer a bad name, build bad buzz and make selling the game harder. In fact, I say that all the time.  deadhorse But I assume there are sometimes financial realities where you have to choose either between releasing it that way or canceling the game because you can't find the funds to work on it anymore.

This was before SOE entered the picture as publisher/marketer (for Vanguard). It's easy to dump on SOE, but they've probably saved some marginal-subscriber base games like this and The Matrix Online from extinction. And as distributor/marketer, they're probably the only reason Pirates of the Burning Sea will have actual retail distribution (though that doesn't mean it will sell to a fickle buying public that doesn't seem interested in anything but WoW right now). I'm not sure why SOE has decided to keep adopting either games with botched launches or games with marginal size subscriber-bases, but maybe that's their new niche to fill.

I wonder if they actually make money?  Like if you have "only" 50,000 at 15-20 per month, that's income.  Maybe they net $250,000 per month for games like this.  Pool together some support resources, plus you're already paying for data centers for the "real" games.  You have experienced employees at managing & maintaining this stuff.  Now get 10 of these second rate MMO's, and you're looking at $12 million gross, maybe $3 Million profit.  Now this is small potatoes for Sony, but it's still potatoes, and for SOE it's probably some nice extra income to show the shareholders.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »

Out of curiousity, anyone have a buddy key while I wait for my box to show?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:22:54 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2007, 06:15:35 PM

And as distributor/marketer, they're probably the only reason Pirates of the Burning Sea will have actual retail distribution (though that doesn't mean it will sell to a fickle buying public that doesn't seem interested in anything but WoW right now).

I'd be all over PotBS if they hadn't watered down (hehe) the ship combat from their original design to what I played in beta. Turned it into a less complex version of the EVE combat model with wind as a factor but on a 2d plane. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

Blue's pointed out some frothing at the mouth rant by supposedly one of Vanguard's former designers:
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/31593-vg-producers-letter-49.html#post945201
Gah, sounds like a mess, and the game has probably left more bad feelings among its former developers than anything I can think of - if you've got former designers running around accusing their producer of being too busy doing drugs to work on the game.  saywhat

I guess it was sort of in response to its Biggest Disappointment of 2007 Award from Game Spy (it seemed to sweep that award at places that give it out though I think mine would've gone to the launch version of Hellgate: London  disgust).

I remember when it released, I had a few buds at another board very enthusiastic about what it was trying to do, but they felt like they needed machetes to cut through the sheer volume of bugs and missing features and what not. It almost seemed at the time they would be better off starting from scratch. Somewhere at its core underneath the mess was something hardcore MMO players really wanted.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 04:21:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 06, 2008, 04:19:18 PM

I remember when it released, I had a few buds at another board very enthusiastic about what it was trying to do, but they felt like they needed machetes to cut through the sheer volume of bugs and missing features and what not. It almost seemed at the time they would be better off starting from scratch. Somewhere at its core underneath the mess was something hardcore MMO players really wanted.

Don't get me wrong - Vanguard did have a ton of features that not only sounded cool, but tended to work out quite well. It was a MMO that many people were looking forward to, as it was semi-hardcore (at least compared to the likes of WoW nowadays).

But the game was released 9 months early as they outright ran out of funds (among other things). And because of that, the game was DOA. I see no Anarchy Online revival/rebirth of this game anytime soon.

EDIT: Holy CRAP is that link negative! I knew the game had problems, but...wow. This sums it up:

The game that exists now was designed in a single year by people with 0 experience. If that sounds too vague think of it like this: about 1 year from release we had 0 quests in the DB because the tool didn't exist yet. When I decided to split the team there was over 30,000 quest object entries. Yeah, explains a lot doesn't it?

Jesus.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:12:15 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: