http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:16:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanguard - free month for inactive accounts  (Read 8450 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »

hehe, glad you enjoy it..and yes, grouping can be tremendous fun - I did so as well at one of the small, well, dungeons? 4 of us blasted through, killing normal and named mobs, and the drops were so nice, and the group worked so well together..

About the disciple - healers in this game are so darn well done, that you dont, like in other games, see a shortage of healers - Clerics is one of the most played classes actually. The developers have made the healing class so damn fun and interesting, that you'll never regret making one!

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »

Agree, i have played a disciple and bloodmage to level 10ish and they couldn't play more different.

morlac00 on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »

I almost decided on a bloodmage.  In my adventuring over the past week or so, they are easily the class I see the least of, which makes them sort of desirable from a "rarity" factor.  I enjoy the hand-to-hand fighting a bit too much though, and from what I gather, bloodmages like to hang back and attack enemies from a safe distance.  Some of their spell effects look painful though.  Bashing guys heads in with my hands and feet is one thing... but making their blood boil and exploding their bodies from the inside out is just flat cruel.

I was reading they get a spell where they can draw their own blood into a vial or something.  What the heck is that all about!?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

Ah.  I answered my own question regarding the vials of blood.  Apparently, bloodmages get a spell-line called Symbiotes.  They can use their blood as a component with harvested body parts of their enemies to craft a symbiote on the spot.  Different symbiotes do different things, like give buffs, take over the minds of enemies, heal and cure disease, etc...  It's not something I'm particularly interested in, but certainly a cool class feature if you're into experimenting with something a bit different than the norm.  VG's whole approach to character classes is definately unique. 

Over the weekend I played quite a bit more and in the rare cases I keep the Qalia Nation chat open, I think it's pretty funny that I see dps classes sought after for groups so often.  "LFM - Party seeks 1 or 2 dps classes for Dungeon X". 

On another note, I have managed to meet some pretty cool people.  A couple are new to Vanguard like me, and a few are long time vets that have taken a sabbatical from the game and are returning with brand new characters.  I hope nothing happens to kill my enjoyment of the game as time goes on.  Right now I'm finding it very entertaining.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »

I guess my system is just old. EQ2 looks and plays great but Vanguard does neither well.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 02:02:35 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 07, 2008, 01:14:30 PM

I guess my system is just old. EQ2 looks and plays great but Vanguard does neither well.

That's strange - Vanguard at least will take advantage of current tech you might have in your PC, verses EQ2 taking advantage of next to none of it.

But on the flip side - Vanguard won't launch on my laptop at all. EQ2 does, and does play well. Who knows.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »

I'm redownloading as we speak and will be taking advantage of the free time to see if it grabs me.  I played at launch and there was lots to like.

i'll look you all up once I'm in game.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »

okay, this may be because I'm on a different timezone than many of you, but, seeing how many people say they play this game, I have seen maybe 3 of you in the GT Channel? really strange..

anyways, because of this, Reemul and I joined a guild, House Andronnai, a very very nice, and very mature, fun guild - I'm sure there's room for others who are interested.

I Just dont believe in the possiblity of a GT/OO guild anymore - sorry...

but, the game still rocks all kinds of ways ;-)

My bard is now lvl 16, and outruns most people who are horsebackriding, while on foot :-D

A new one
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 11, 2008, 08:56:46 AM

okay, this may be because I'm on a different timezone than many of you, but, seeing how many people say they play this game, I have seen maybe 3 of you in the GT Channel? really strange..

I forget to join the channel when I get online.. I need to set auto join, but usually when I get online I get get up for groups..  I'll try and remember to set the autojoin tonight.

My shaman is level 28.. Almost 29.. I'm kind of scared how much level 30 is going to cost me.. I get 20 something spells!!, and then there is the new mount at 30.. ugh.. I'll be broke.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »

Funny you mention House Adronnai, as I have this note on my desk to look them up; but I get so wrapped up in the game, I always forget.  I believe I'm even using one of their member's UI Mods, which I totally love.  (Darker2.0).

My main character is FINALLY underway, after all this time.  He is a Kojani Disciple living in the trees with the Wood Elves.  I love that area, and really "discovered" it by accident.  I had found this really neat little dagger that I couldn't use, and noticed Dunqan was playing a bard.  So I thought I'd take a trip to surprise him with it.  Next thing I know, I'm in this Tree City, and thinking how utterly cool it was.  Now I'm calling it home!

I am so incredibly happy with this game, it's ridiculous.  Which is really, really funny, as I am such a prick when it comes to technical issues with games.  I simply can't stand little annoyances, and VG is filled with them.  But the entire VG package as a whole is SO what I've been looking for, I just roll with the punches with a big grin on my face.

A big part of it for me is the way the classes are done.  I would say, by far, the most important thing to me in a game like this is enjoying the class I play.  I am able to overlook so many other things if I can find one.  It's a really lame, personal hangup of mine I think.  Not that anyone gives a rip, but as an example: when Diablo 2 was released, I thought the game was pretty average, to be honest.  However, once the Assassin class was released, my enitre opinion of the game completely changed, due to how much I enjoyed playing that particular class.  Suddenly, Diablo 2 was one of my all-time favorites.  Obviously, it had nothing to do with the game itself.  Oh look... I'm rambling.

The problem I foresee in the future is that there is SO much content I want to see, but don't want to outlevel, I'm not sure how I'm going to experience it all and simultaneously keep it challenging.  Short of making a bunch of alts, I may have to resort to that experience nullifier.     

Anyway, the only person I see on consistantly is Dunqan, but I'm guessing it may have to do with my play times.  I'm happy you guys found a great guild though!  Please keep us posted on how it's going.  By the way, I think both the Phoenix Shaman and the Bear Shaman look really cool.  I love the way the little bear looks that you can change into.

LD

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 11, 2008, 12:16:32 PM

Next thing I know, I'm in this Tree City, and thinking how utterly cool it was.  Now I'm calling it home!

you call a tree city your home? *snicker*

hehe, just kidding - its really cool how much you like the game, and you ARE one of the few people I've met in-game a few times :-)

About house Andronnai- you cant go wrong with these guys - so cool, and all ages, the guildmistress is a grandmother, and some of the people have their kids, and spouses playing with them - really cool, familystyle (a trite overused word about guilds, but this one is REALLY spot-on) guild, that enjoys helping newcomers and oldtimers alike - I've had a lot of fun with them.

As for main, I think its my bard, , but have 12 alts now, all between lvl 8 and 14 :-D

A new one
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »

I'm on Seradon with a bunch of characters.  My main right now is a 17 necro named Mincer Ray.  I'd be happy to join up with anyone in that level range.  I'm doing the Hunter's League quests in Skirilien (sic?) right now and some of them actually require groups.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

So, today my little gnome warrior decided he should check out the surrounding country side of Tursh, the village of the tall people.

He was told to go check up on two sisters who had set up camp just outside the city, and promptly rode out there. As he got there, he saw a small assembly of people, including one of the tall pointy-eared people.

He tried talking to Eldor as he called himself a bit, and the guy was obviously some sort of lunatic. He'd been exciled by his queen, and claimed enourmous powers. Jeevers (My gnome) laughed at that, and said "bring it"...after which the lunatic pointy-eye got insane, and started hammering the poor gnome. Jeevers decided that he was going to get the heck out of there, and ran away with all his fastest speed towards the city, and he hoped, salvation...but no, the darned lunatic kept following, yelling doom and dread all the while, and after running for 25 minutes, trough two villages, 4 crazed orcs, and across the same river 5 times, the pointy-ear caught up with Jeevers, and promptly killed him...

Okay, okay, so he DID have amazing powers...who knew.

Anyways, after getting back in shape, and cautiosly going back to the encampment, where the Emo elf appearently was satisfied with killing Jeevers once, he tried talking with the sisters...one of them said that something strange had happened in the area, thus the pretty pretty lights close by... Jeevers decided to go take a look.

So, with the eyes of the lunatic pointy-ear on him, he left towards the pretty light. (pic1)

After getting a bit closer, and noticing the maddened fairies there, and the size of the large rock that appearently had fallen from the sky, and the tale of "A beast that lurks" in the ancient sunk temple in the middle of the lake, he decided this was for another day (pic2)

Anyways, the adventures of Jeevers are incredibly fun, and he'd love to have more company to explore the incredible rich and vast world of Vanguard!

btw, huge flying griffons named silvertalon doesnt take kindly to arrows - now you know!

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 16, 2008, 04:27:07 PM

...my little gnome warrior...

That alone made me laugh.  Nice.

LD

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »

Vanguard is $4.90 at Gogamer through today I believe.  So that's less than 5 bucks to give it a whirl for a month.

morlac00 on PSN
Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »

I got fed up with the crafting (big surprise there), diplomacy is still worthless (and probably always will be) and lost interest in the questing/adventuring. Plus my old characters were a different server than everyone else, and I wasn't thrilled with the new character I made on the GT server. Bottom line is that I'm out for now, but it was nice visiting. I could always come back in the future.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 03:00:58 AM »

Quote from: Baroquen131 on July 18, 2008, 01:55:47 PM

I got fed up with the crafting (big surprise there), diplomacy is still worthless (and probably always will be) and lost interest in the questing/adventuring. Plus my old characters were a different server than everyone else, and I wasn't thrilled with the new character I made on the GT server. Bottom line is that I'm out for now, but it was nice visiting. I could always come back in the future.

I heard that it may be possible to get them to move your toon to a new server even though it is not formally supported.  /petition and see if they will do it for you.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »

Quote from: Baroquen131 on July 18, 2008, 01:55:47 PM

hmm..got a mount at lvl 2, some 12 slot saddlebags for it as well, and I'm lvl 5 diplomacy? not that useless, in my opinon.

Anyways, like every other game, the game isnt for everyone... I even enjoy the crafting...so far at least - the rewards are pretty cool from it.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »

Oh, one more thing, if anyone is interested, Reemul and I have joined a pretty nice guild, who is more or less mostly American so it should suit lots of you people interested. House Andronnai - run by a grandmother, if you can believe it :-D

Anyways, its a cool guild, with fun people, so try talking with them if you want, or look around for me or Reemul in the GT Chat channel :-)

A new one
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 20, 2008, 08:41:22 AM

run by a grandmother, if you can believe it :-D

One thing I noticed about Vanguard is that its player base is very mature.  I was in a group in VT last night and we were all using Vent, and I was amazed that everyone sounded like an adult. smile  This definitely not WoW.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »

I just discovered the Gnome starting area on Saturday.  I was running through the desert minding my own business.  All of a sudden, a shadow appears over me.  I'm thinking it was just another graphics glitch, but I looked up to see if I was under a big tree or something. 

What I saw was this giant griffon (with rider) flying away.  Apparently, the griffon cast the shadow when it got over me.  Anyway, following it with my eyes, the rider was heading to this enormous structure built into the side of a mountain.  It looked way too cool to pass up, so I ran over to check it out.  I've been there ever since just exploring.  It is the Gnome's main city.  I went to a cavern inside the city the gnomes call the "deepdark".  There is a castle there that belongs to the Underking.  Very cool looking place!

LD

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 21, 2008, 06:14:42 PM

I just discovered the Gnome starting area on Saturday.  I was running through the desert minding my own business.  All of a sudden, a shadow appears over me.  I'm thinking it was just another graphics glitch, but I looked up to see if I was under a big tree or something. 

What I saw was this giant griffon (with rider) flying away.  Apparently, the griffon cast the shadow when it got over me.  Anyway, following it with my eyes, the rider was heading to this enormous structure built into the side of a mountain.  It looked way too cool to pass up, so I ran over to check it out.  I've been there ever since just exploring.  It is the Gnome's main city.  I went to a cavern inside the city the gnomes call the "deepdark".  There is a castle there that belongs to the Underking.  Very cool looking place!

hehe, its a cool place - I have a gnome who started in there...rather cool - and yes, THIS is what I love about Vanguard - its so friggin' huge, and not "Oblivion huge"(not dissing obli here, dont worry), but with lots and lots of different stuff to see and explore...and I'm an explorer by heart I think :-)

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »

I finally got around to rolling a new toon on the Seradan server. He's a high Elf Mage. His name is: Gennesse Ale.

I still have to figure out how to move around the windows for the Drox UI I had installed.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »

Gop in to the options and click unlock the ui box and it allows all to be moved the when finished untick it and voila.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »

Last night a friend and I explored the wrecked ship on the beaches of Lomshir.  I was on with my Paladin and he as his Necromancer.  Jeez, was that a ton of fun! 

One of the really neat things about playing either the Disciple or the Paladin is being up close to all the monsters, and being able to really appreciate the models and textures.  I'm finding a new appreciation for melee type classes that I never really had before.

My free time is just about up I think, and I'm still going strong.  That in and of itself is amazing.

LD

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Downloading as I type. Guys which class would best fit my play style? I like melee dps types.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »

I'm no expert, but here are 6 off the top of my head.

Melee DPS types:

Rogue :  Melee dps with some neat utility.  Is sneaky.  Likes to dual-wield daggers.  Likes poisons.  Slower, methodical gameplay.
Monk :  Melee dps with some nice aoe attacks.  Can use a bladestaff, but looks cooler using open-hand martial arts.  dps and then some.
Ranger :  Melee dps with the ability to do great damage from range as well.  Nice utility to boot, including temporary pets and limited healing.
Bard :  Melee dps who excels at buffing friends.  Runs faster than the 6-million-dollar-man.  Has some control abilities as well.  Writes his own songs.

Not quite as much melee dps, but certainly respectable:

Warrior : Dual-wielding weapons fighter who is a very capable tank type.  Wears heavy armor.
DreadKnight : Two-Handed weapon fighter who is a very capable tank type.  Wears heavy armor.  Lots of neat little "evil-ish" abilities.

LD

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »

Thanks LD. Is the Monk also a secondary healer type?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »

Not that I am aware of.

LD

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 28, 2008, 03:42:23 PM

Thanks LD. Is the Monk also a secondary healer type?

you'r probably thinking of the Disciple - the melee oriented healer - he uses the same basic attack style (martial arts) as the monk

As for secondary, he's actually a damn good healer, while also able to punish foes incredibly...

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »

One thing I wish with this game (along with Conan) - every race can't be every class. I SO loved that with EQ2. It really needs to be the standard nowadays.

And it's interesting - while playing EQ2 the other day, the conversation somehow diverged to Vanguard - a lot of people said that Vanguard has the best combat system out of all the MMOs today.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2008, 06:17:11 PM

One thing I wish with this game (along with Conan) - every race can't be every class. I SO loved that with EQ2. It really needs to be the standard nowadays.

And it's interesting - while playing EQ2 the other day, the conversation somehow diverged to Vanguard - a lot of people said that Vanguard has the best combat system out of all the MMOs today.

I dont understand what you are saying - in Vanguard every race CAN'T be every class...as it CAN'T be in EQ2, and in Conan as well...

A new one
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 28, 2008, 06:19:06 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2008, 06:17:11 PM

I dont understand what you are saying - in Vanguard every race CAN'T be every class...as it CAN'T be in EQ2, and in Conan as well...

Actually, in EQ2, every race can be every class.  Even if a "good" race can't start out as an "evil" class, you can betray and become that class if you started out as the opposite alignment version of the class you want to be.  So, as one example, there are High Elf Necromancers running around who started out as Conjurors.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:40:01 PM by Fez » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »

Yup. It takes a bit of work (about 3-5 hours, give or take), but there's nothing keeping you from being a 'good' class as an 'evil' race on EQ2.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2008, 07:40:17 PM

Yup. It takes a bit of work (about 3-5 hours, give or take), but there's nothing keeping you from being a 'good' class as an 'evil' race on EQ2.

And you get some AA experience for doing the Betrayal quests, so it isn't all worthless.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »

Quote from: Fez on July 28, 2008, 08:17:13 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2008, 07:40:17 PM

And you get some AA experience for doing the Betrayal quests, so it isn't all worthless.

And now that I think about it, an item for your house that looks like a stack of books. It's pretty hard to come by that kind of item in your early levels, so that's a cool bonus too. biggrin

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2008, 10:02:40 PM »

Ok just got into the game. Monk on a server starting with a S.

So, is the game done well enough that by just playing through the game you'll pick things up naturally and in the right order?
Or do I need to start pestering people with newbie questions?

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 28, 2008, 10:02:40 PM

Ok just got into the game. Monk on a server starting with a S.

So, is the game done well enough that by just playing through the game you'll pick things up naturally and in the right order?
Or do I need to start pestering people with newbie questions?

If you leave the tutorial tips on and read all of what the various NPC quest givers (including Diplomacy, Harvesting and Tradeskill) tell you it's pretty easy to pick up on how the game works. It is helpful if you've played other fantasy based MMO's before since they are all fairly similar at their core and you just need to learn the unique features of each given game.

I've only come across one issue so far since reloading the game last week...there's a low level quest line for Goblins that is bugged and you can't complete it which I find really irritating.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »

It is especially irritating because the storyline of the quest (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is very good imo.

Arclight - If you get really stuck on something, just ask.  Certain things in VG are a bit vague, so it would be understandable.

LD

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 29, 2008, 11:48:44 AM

It is especially irritating because the storyline of the quest (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is very good imo.

Arclight - If you get really stuck on something, just ask.  Certain things in VG are a bit vague, so it would be understandable.

*cough* diplomacy *cough*.........I'll be leaving that little feature of the game alone for a bit me thinks.

Ok, I'm on the server everyone else is using. Would someone mind throwing me an invite sometime soon?
At the moment you'd probably find me on, Aarclight, dwarf cleric.

I would appreciate it, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: