http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 03:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turtle's Massive Civilization 4 Pitboss Game  (Read 14872 times)
Varity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »

The offer of peace can of course speak for itself, but that empty chat line confused me into thinking there might be some important message I might be missing. Hence my post.

The text you sent me this turn came though fine. I hope my reply does too. In case it doesn't, and to explain better than I could in the brevity that the ingame chat allows for, I give it here as well.

"Honorable Chief Hrothgar of the Americans, We have been pleased by your kind message in which you express much sympathy and concern for the safety and well-being of our people. We concur with you insofar as it is undesirable to let this war drain Us of power and resources that are needed to meet the challenges, that the furture holds in store. However, We find that, at present, our conflict does not place such an excessive or supererogatory burden upon our people as to make Us concerned in this regard. It is Our belief that, should We allow you to reclaim full sovereignty over your dominions, you would, at one time or another, use your regained strength against Us and make Us pay with interest for Our clemency. Therefore, for the good of Our people, We cannot grant what you have asked."

To sum up the speech: Sieging you now costs me next to nothing, letting you build a couple of cities and delaying this war until later is the surest way to make it expensive. If there were a way to eliminate that possibility, like a permanent, unbreakable alliance, or vassalage like in EU2 I'd be open for that. Sadly, there isn't.

As I am usually not a warmongering player (in fact you are the first human I have ever attacked in a stategy game) I can't help but feel a bit sorry for what I have to do to you. My original plan was to write a DAR (During Action Report), similar to the one Turtle has posted at OO, titled "The shivering chinese fight their way up from the south pole" to explain things a bit from my perspective, but since this affair keeps dragging on that'll have to wait.
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »

I got a message when I logged in that Dandridge had retired.  I thought that was odd since the server has been doing so well lately.  If he just wanted out, I could have traded places with him.  The subsequent Malinese hordes coming to smite the Chinese would be entirely coincidental. :wink:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »

Is Danridge really AI now?  I see two Danridges -- one as Mali (top slot) one as Rome (eradicated).  Maybe that message was just a way of repeating Rome got eradicated?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2006, 07:42:29 PM »

I've actually got two spaces open so if you finally lose washington Hroth you can always fill one of them.  Lemme look and see which those are...
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

Well..my system died, so I won't be getting too many turns in for the near future.  Gonna keep trying to find a way to submit turns semi reguarly.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2006, 11:49:02 PM »

Dandrige just declared war on me and sent what appears to be most of his units into my territory.  So if you want some of his empire, now's a good time to take it!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2006, 01:11:09 AM »

Can anyone else confirm two Dandridges and where they were located?  If they were right next to eachother then I suspect he was playing both and simply consolidated, that's cheating.

Otherwise, if he was eradicated early in the game and took over a vacant slot, that's okay.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2006, 01:18:03 AM »

I only saw him as Mali (yellow).  I thought Rome was someone else (started with a 'N'.)

Cheers,
Hrothgar

aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2006, 04:53:05 AM »

Rome was originally Nvdsky, but I remember seeing the note where Rome was destroyed by Dandridge.

Good luck, everyone
--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2006, 05:25:53 AM »

Well, obviously he's taking the aggressive route to world domination.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »

k, I gotta resign.  A shitty (unbalanced) starting position just ruins you, especially when you have to waste three turns just GETTING to it!  My Settler started on the end of one-tile wide peninsula--if I'd founded my city there, I'd have had TWO land squares to work with (not counting the capitol itself)!  That's a pretty freakin' grim start.

Danridge, on the other hand, must have gotten very lucky with the specials and his starting position -- he managed to crank out, at a bare minimum, two Axemen (Copper or Iron) and two Swordsmen (Iron), both with upgrades, which suggests two cities each with Barracks, before I was even able to get access to Copper, or produce more than three Archers.

Oh well, it was interesting, hopefully when the final version of Pitboss is released we can get some more (smaller) games going.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »

I was going to run a smaller pitboss game on the same server, I'm hoping the next patch allows multiple pitboss games on the same system.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2006, 01:02:01 AM »

I guess I can't complain if I get knocked out now.  I was worried about being the first out.  Now my goal is to hold on to 440 BC.  Then I could say, I survived the 3000 years war and all I got was this Chinese occupation.

Of course, I still dream about a stunning reversal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2006, 06:27:34 PM »

Okay, I've tried from different networks (home vs work) at different times of the day (7am vs 8am vs 12pm) and I can't get connected today to play my 450BC turn.

I can't even ping civturtle.selfip.com...

I suspect a server crash smile

Let us know when you're able to prop it back up, Turtle

Thanks,
--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »

Yep it crashed, I just put it back up and loaded an autosave at 450 BC.

Come on guys, someone spread me some religion.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »

Well, I know turns are still progressing, because I'm getting the announcements - twice each turn - but I still can't connect. My PC resolves civturtle.selfip.com properly (well, I assume 71.108.137.58 is the correct IP), but it won't respond to pings or let me connect.

--Aahzmandius
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »

Same issue, from both my work connection and home SBC/AT&T connection.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2006, 08:02:14 AM »

Well, guys, I've got to drop.

There's no way I can play this if I can't connect.

I've been able to play 2 turns since 0 AD, and it's now 520, according to the latest turn e-mail.

It's just gotten too frustrating to even try.

Sorry, all.
--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2006, 10:30:16 AM »

It's a really interesting situation on the server right now.

There's basically 2 superpowers in Varity and Dandridge, although my Inca just started my big bid for power by sweeping northward to conquer Germany.

Germany has little in the way of a military, so the conquest should go smoothly.  I confirmed this by using an open border agreement to scout his lands.

To my southeast I have EJL, who is fittingly playing the Aztecs.  I guess he's still ticked off about my sneak attack earlier that took one city.  After my initial attack he sued for peace and I accepted, as I only wanted that city to act as a choke point.  He'd been conquering his neighbors in rapid succession so I knew eventually he'd get to me.

He used the ceasefire well, chosing to attack right after I declared war on Germany.  Thankfully I had foresight to keep enough units close to home so his attack, while quite strong, isn't too much of a worry.  I have enough to delay him long enough so that I can shift units from my mid territories to the south.  I also bargained for the nearby AI, The Greeks, to attack him as well, as they shared my religion he didn't need much convincing.  I'll probably lose the city that I had just taken from him, but it'll cost him either way.

I also had an Axeman near his territory watching for an attack, I moved him to a tile with both a hill and a forest, just as a very large stack Aztec of units moved next to him.  In essence, that axeman is now quite a thorn in the Aztec's side.  Attacking the axeman will likely result in the loss of one or more units, it has already delayed the movement of that large unit stack.  If he chooses to bypass the axeman, I can march him into enemy territory and start pillaging.

Unless Germany pulls units out of nowhere, or another opponent attacks me, I'll be fine.  However, things could very well spiral out of control into the first world war of the pre-medieval era as various alliances come into play.

Sorry you guys are having such difficulties connecting.  I'm hoping the next patch will be released soon so the game will be more stable.  I'll probably start a new server and a new game with more balanced settings.

Probably the Balanced map script to make sure everyone starts out on even footing.  Probably segment into various continents too.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »

Yeah! We need navies!

I'd be willing to try again, if we could find a way for the server to be more stable.

I just couldn't connect most of the time...to the point that even pings to the address were bouncing.

Oh, well.

--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2006, 06:32:07 PM »

So did they ever release the final version of Pitboss?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2006, 01:10:05 AM »

They're working on it right now and it's advanced quite a bit since then.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »

The 1.61 patch for Civ 4 was just released.

Unfortunately, in the process of updating, it borked the pitboss saves so now I can't load them.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2006, 12:01:51 AM »

So are you going to roll back to 1.52?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »

Well the problem is that it's asking me for an admin password to open my 1.52 pitboss saves.  It never requested a save for them before, and it didn't even prompt me for one when I created the game.

It seems this is a confirmed bug/problem, there was a workaround for it, and maybe I can get it to work.
treefres
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:42 AM »

hi all, i just joined these forums and i was just wondering if any of you guys still played civ4 multiplayer. im not really good but the comp is pretty boring once you find the right strategy. anyways, if someone here hosts a server or can explain to me how i can host then that'd be great. thanks.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2006, 08:11:25 PM »

Quote from: "treefres"
hi all, i just joined these forums and i was just wondering if any of you guys still played civ4 multiplayer. im not really good but the comp is pretty boring once you find the right strategy. anyways, if someone here hosts a server or can explain to me how i can host then that'd be great. thanks.
I've started playing Civ4 alot more since I found Fall From Heaven 2 (aka, the only good thing to come out of OO, ever).

I'd love to play some Multiplayer, either vanilla Civ4, Civ4: Warlords, or even multiplayer Fall From Heaven 2, if someone wanted to try that (I will warn you, it's still in beta, and thus a little rough).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2006, 04:09:25 PM »

Thanks, Ebonstone, for getting me stuck on Civ again smile

Fall from Heaven 2 is a blast so far.
--Aahz

--Aahzmandius
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »

Quote from: treefres on July 21, 2006, 04:06:42 AM

Can't say that I'm still caught up in the Civ4 multi, but welcome just the same. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2006, 08:34:56 PM »

Quote from: aahzmandius on August 10, 2006, 04:09:25 PM

Thanks, Ebonstone, for getting me stuck on Civ again smile

Fall from Heaven 2 is a blast so far.
--Aahz
Aye it's cool.  I'm looking forward to the future releases when the AI is a bit more astute, though.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2006, 09:34:01 PM »

I'd be up for joining another pitboss game if anyone is willing to set one up - the server I had just wasn't fit to cope with the demands the pitboss put on it frown

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: