http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:48:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turtle's Massive Civilization 4 Pitboss Game  (Read 14899 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2006, 12:10:42 AM »

I've started massive civ 4 pitboss game for anyone to join in.  Pitboss servers are like standalone dedicated servers for Civ games, where anyone involved in the game simply logs into the server, does his turn, then logs out.  As soon as everyone participating does their turn info the server generates the next turn, or if a preset time limit is reached (in this case 12 hours) then it skips the turns of those players who have not submitted.

Basically it's a way to play long, in depth Civ 4 games without having to coordinate schedules or try to pass around a PBEM file (which always seem to get lost).

Connect to:
Domain: civturtle.redirectme.net
or
IP: 71.118.223.67

The settings are:
18 Players
Pangaea
Huge map
Ancient Era start
Standard speed
Simulteneous turns

Turns are set to generate every 12 hours.

As per Tals' discovery, there's a bug involving player settings that messes up the password you set on your civilization.  Do not use alt-d or set your e-mail address to anything or you won't be able to log back into your civ.

Just join in and select whatever Civ you want, you can tell when a Civ has already been selected by the Leader's name being replaced by a player name.

Please let me know if you have trouble connecting as I'm not too sure if my firewall settings are correct.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:51:42 AM »

I'm in.  Attempting to connect now...

Again, guys, DO NOT IMPUT YOUR EMAIL INFORMATION, it WILL cause your Civ's password to become IRRECOVERABLY corrupt.

EDIT:  Why not consider cutting down the # of players from 18 to, say, 9?  We didn't even have 18 players interested in the first thread about Civ4 MP...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 01:57:49 AM »

Don't worry, if 18 players don't show up by the time the first turn generates, AI will take over for all civs that haven't been chosen.

Then, later on, if a new player wants to join, he can take over an AI player.

So, don't get too comfy with that predictable AI neighbor, he may become a player down the line.  slywink

Oh, and I've posted this server info accross many forums, so we'll be getting quite an interesting group of players.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:00:09 AM »

k, just tried to connect -- you have to use the numerical IP, the redirect URL won't work (it can't be input fully).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 03:41:09 AM »

Also, since we can't use emails, could you post here whenever the turn changes, so we'll know?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »

Will do.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 06:03:36 AM »

Count me in.  I haven't been beat up in a while.  Anything I should know about playing a pitboss game?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 07:03:43 AM »

I'm in as the Japanese. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:07:51 AM »

btw, this is the first Civ4 game I've played, SP or MP, that I've actually had to move my Settler in to get to a 'good' (AI-recommended) city spot.

So if I lose, it's because of that.   :wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »

All righty, then...me and my Fast Workers will (probably be killed) kick y'all's butts!

--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 07:56:25 AM »

Iit's all pretty similar to normal Civ 4 multiplayer, except now it's done at a certain amount of turns per day.  Just make sure to qeue things up ahead of time in case you have to miss a few turns.

Unfortunately, the way it's setup I can't let you just pick a civ and leader and join in.  I had to set the game to randomly pick a bunch of civs and leaders, then let players choose from that list.

Next turn should be generating at around 4:25am PST, with each turn happening every 12 hours after that.  So 4:25pm PST the third turn generates and so on.

Unfortunately, I can't set the actual times that the turns generate, just the intervals.  Otherwise, I would have set it so that the two turns would generate in the middle of peak hours with a long pause near the midnight hours for the US East coast.

edit:  By the way, LE, the place your settlers start in is usually a very good spot since the map generator will place things in a useful manner aroung a settler.  However, and this can happen often, you'll be one or two spaces away from a really good configuration.  But also be aware that the computer factors in resources that you can't see yet.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 07:28:03 PM »

Well, crap. I didn't set a password at all, thanks to the warnings, but it appears my civ has come down with one.

Guess I'll wait for the next one....if someone would be so kind as to PM me when it starts...

Thanks,
--Aahz

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »

I sent you a PM already, but I kicked you, you can just rejoin as the same civ.  Let me know if someone joins ahead of you and I'll kick them.

I'm interested to see who I've been plopped down next to.  I have access to the coast from my starting city and my Incan Quechas are moving East.

I'm hoping it's someone from this forum so I can form a strategic allilance and not have to worry about one border for a while.  Of course, I am an aggressive nation so, woe to the Civ that is on the other side of the strategic alliance.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I sent you a PM already, but I kicked you, you can just rejoin as the same civ.  Let me know if someone joins ahead of you and I'll kick them.

I'm interested to see who I've been plopped down next to.  I have access to the coast from my starting city and my Incan Quechas are moving East.

I'm hoping it's someone from this forum so I can form a strategic allilance and not have to worry about one border for a while.  Of course, I am an aggressive nation so, woe to the Civ that is on the other side of the strategic alliance.

Turtle...now it's gotten me.  Never set a password, but it's asking for one now. :/   I did look at the Alt-D screen, but never put anything in email.  Maybe the lesson is "Don't open that screen at all!"

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »

Well I guess that's it then.  Never open up the Alt-D screen.

I'll kick you, however if you're name is something other than Dreamshadow, let me know with a PM or post here.

Edit:  You've been kicked.  Join in quickly the next turn is in 19 minutes.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 12:20:01 AM »

Turn 3 just generated.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 12:32:12 AM »

Thanks, Turtle...I'm now back in...Oooh, and it kept my settings and stuff I already had started. Nifty.

--Aahzmandius
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »

Hrmm..I'm concerned.  It seems that the turn generation time is floating.  It should have generated a new turn about 6:00am CST, and it was an hour away from that at ten till nine CST.   I logged in at 11:20am, and the turn has just generated the turn ten minutes ago.

Ideas?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 11:59:40 PM »

Turns generate as soon as everyone has turned in their turns, so if everyone turns it in before then it'll change the times.

They need to add more timing options to the server, maybe a way to lock it to generate at certain times.

It's most likely that all the euro players are logging in at the same time and finishing their turns.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 03:54:27 AM »

Argh...I know I missed a turn because of the other things I do, but I just tried to connect and can't. I also can't ping the server at the moment. Guess I'll try again later.

--Aahz

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »

Yeah, I was having connection issues ever since my connection reset for no apparent reason.  I restarted my router and the server and everything seems okay now.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 04:29:51 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Turns generate as soon as everyone has turned in their turns, so if everyone turns it in before then it'll change the times.

They need to add more timing options to the server, maybe a way to lock it to generate at certain times.

It's most likely that all the euro players are logging in at the same time and finishing their turns.

Ahh, it's a feature, not a bug. smile  Thanks.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 04:35:41 AM »

Thanks, Turtle, I got a chance to check in before the next turn flip.

*grumble* worthless hut *grumble*

--Aahz

--Aahzmandius
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 07:11:42 AM »

I guess everyone turned in their turns early because a new turn just generated 15 minutes ago as of this posting.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »

Turtle:  Tals is implementing this...maybe you could as well?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153509

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 10:51:03 PM »

Already working on it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 11:31:28 PM »

I've implemented Scree's Pitboss Turn Notifier, an add on program that'll keep track of a running pitboss server and notify anyone in its e-mail list whenever a new turn generates.  This is to replace the broken e-mail notification feature in the normal pitboss server.

Unfortunately, I'll have to add everyone's e-mail by hand, so please either email, reply, or PM your email address to me if you're in my pitboss game.  You can also login to the game and simply type your email addres sin a Chat To All message there, this'll show up on my console.

Oh and a turn generated about 30 minutes ago.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 04:38:26 PM »

I'd absolutely love it, Turtle, if you could tell your auto-emailer to include the IP address for the game in the email.  It's a bitch having to copy-paste from this thread every time I want to play a turn.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 09:11:52 PM »

Are you guys actually playing turns every 12 hours, or does it come out to be more like once a day? I'd play, but I doubt I could play every 12 hours. Once a day, in the evening (CST), is about all I could swing.

See my list of games I have and want.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 11:49:15 PM »

A new turn generates whenever everyone submits their turn.  However, there's a 12 hour limit on how long you can take, so if you haven't submitted your turn by 12 hours after the last turn, it'll generate the next turn without you.

Honestly though, so long as you que up orders and buildings, you'll be fine.  Unfortunately the game is full right now.

And I'll include the IP in the next batch of emails.
Jaraq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 02:34:51 AM »

Turtle, are you running into issue of a lot of password corruption? It has happened twice now in 3 turns, with my 8 player game. I had to kick guy each time to clear it up.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »

It happened while I was starting up the game and the first few turns, but it hasn't been a problem after that.

Just make sure that people don't go into the Player Details (alt-d) menu to avoid it.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2006, 07:10:06 AM »

I can't believe I'm already at war.   Verity, I believe, of the Chinese declared war on me.  I'm at a loss to see why.  If he knocks me out, it's not much of a victory (the city's not big enough to be captured).  You might gain a little room.  If the rush fails, a war this early seems crippling to both of us.  Maybe it's a brilliant strategy that I just don't understand?  Thoughts?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006, 07:23:12 AM »

Does he already have units in your territory?

Perhaps your city's borders has blocked him from moving out of his starting area, if so he has no choice but to declare war at this point in the game, as there are no open borders treaties available until someone researches the tech.

I recall that either azzaman or aahzmandius had to do the game to get out of his poor starting position down near the south pole.

It's unlikely he'll be able to take you out so long as you have something defending your city.  Recall those scouts and look around just to make sure.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »

No, there's plenty of room to get around my city.  I've scouted that far.  He has his warrior at my city gates so he's well inside my meager territory.  I do have a warrior defending.  Odd.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 08:32:13 AM »

I think what he was planning was to blitz your starting city and take it.  Sometimes people let their warrior run off to explore instead of keeping it at home to defend from early rushes.  With the way cultural borders work, you can't really get a look at what someone has in their city

For instance, I just encountered an enemy city's borders, Greece I think, most likely his first city.  I was seriously considering doing the early blitz, but decided against it.  I couldn't find a hill close enough to see into his city, and it just isn't my style to rush.  If I want to conquer him I'll do it with massive armies.  That's if he attacks me first... or looks like he'll attack me... or generally gets in my way.

Ah, it's nice to be an Aggressive/Financial civ.

Just build some military units now, kill his warrior, then quickly rush to his home city.  Most likely that warrior was his only unit and either has no defending units or he only just built one warrior to defend.

Knowing that he attacked you so early is a sign he'll do it again in the future, so knocking him out early is a good way to go...

Hm... maybe I should just attack that city, get rid of an enemy early, and I am an aggressive civ after all.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »

HELP TURTLE I CAN'T CONNECT IT JUST SAYS IT TIMED OUT

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »

My router crashed early this morning, probably around 4-5am PST.  I've just reset it and everything is working fine.

edit:  The IP address also changed, use: 71.108.145.108 or civturtle.no-ip.org
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »

I can't connect again, Turtle.  Did the router reset?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »

Seconded, connection timeout.

Cheers,
Hrothgar