http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trash Talking  (Read 3023 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »

I'm not a big trash talker unless it's mockery with people I know.

However, the last couple of nights I've been in a couple of Gears of War rooms with some people who have really pressed my buttons by being rude or crass and I've let loose my dogs of war.  Nothing profane and more inline with you're really kicking butt with that 21 pts!

Or

It's awful quiet over there on the other team now that we're up 4-0

Or

It's not so easy when we have four people on our team is it? (This other guy and I were holding our own in a 2 v 4 situation but still losing and they were berating us).

etc.

How much trash do you guys talk and under what circumstances?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »

I only razz friends.  I have no use for exchanging in immature asshattery with complete strangers.  Not worth my time or aggravation.  But, informing the sensuous one just how satisfying that last grenade tag was?  Priceless.   icon_twisted

I typically wear my headset when playing with strangers so I can hear what others are saying, and if I find that the players are reasonable and like me (i.e. just looking to have some casual fun with a videogame), I'll turn on my mic and participate.  But, if I'm surrounded by asshats I turn off my mic so that if I have something offensive to say, I can simply scream it at my TV and not have to worry about anyone responding to my ramblings. 

My wife, on the other hand, wants to talk trash with the more offensive of the Live population, especially to tell them that a girl just handed them their ass.  But I just don't let the offensive chatter bother me.  They don't know me, I don't know them, and if I were to stoop to their level, I'd be so bent out of shape afterward that it would take a lot of the fun out of gaming for me.  I play to relax, not to get worked up.  What good is telling off a complete stranger in a video game?  If they're kicking my ass and want to tell me about it, I can at least take comfort in knowing that I spend my time doing more than practicing my Gears of War "l33t sKillz" for 19 hours a day.  But it would do me no good to retort.  I'd just wind up feeling like an ass, if only because I just exchanged heated profanities with some random moron online.         

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:16:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 14, 2007, 05:35:02 PM

I'm not a big trash talker unless it's mockery with people I know.

However, the last couple of nights I've been in a couple of Gears of War rooms with some people who have really pressed my buttons by being rude or crass and I've let loose my dogs of war.  Nothing profane and more inline with you're really kicking butt with that 21 pts!

Or

It's awful quiet over there on the other team now that we're up 4-0

Or

It's not so easy when we have four people on our team is it? (This other guy and I were holding our own in a 2 v 4 situation but still losing and they were berating us).

etc.

How much trash do you guys talk and under what circumstances?

This is what you call trash talking? Good lord sir. Good.lord. We need to get you out on a basketball court or something.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »

It sorta' depends.  I have pretty strict and high standards I try to live by:

If I'm playing with Soulchilde, the trashtalk begins the moment he logs into the game to the moment he logs off.  Quite simple really.

Against Devil, we are too busy trashtalking pro athletes in the news, and have zero time to trashtalk each other.  We also trashtalk the Angels and Astros for stupid moves they make in the offseason quite regularly.  As a bonus, we trashtalk Starshifter behind his back, but I don't count that.

Coop and Driver get their fair share of trashtalking from me, as I watch them lap me in all the racing games we (used to) play.  They dismiss me as an insignificant threat though, so I'm sure it falls on deaf ears.

I don't talk trash to Starshifter (to his face) or Arkon, mostly cause I feel sorry for them.  They however, spare no words by ripping me every chance they get.

Purge scares me, so I refuse to trashtalk him, even though I want to.

Don is impossible to trashtalk, as he sounds like the world's nicest guy.  Instead, I try to be polite and act smart around him.  I don't think he's fooled though.

Jarrod, Papa, and Damage are better than me at everything we play, so I mostly just focus on razzing Soulchilde and hope they join in.

That's all I can think of right now.   icon_wink

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:42:52 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 14, 2007, 06:30:49 PM

Purge scares me, so I refuse to trashtalk him, even though I want to.

See? And that's why you're a spineless coward.!! slywink (a.k.a. maintaining status quo)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:26:16 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 14, 2007, 06:16:08 PM

This is what you call trash talking? Good lord sir. Good.lord. We need to get you out on a basketball court or something.

Well I do say it in a rather bitter sarcastic tone. Actually my rating went down after that night so I must have done something 'right'.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 15, 2007, 01:26:16 PM

Well I do say it in a rather bitter sarcastic tone. Actually my rating went down after that night so I must have done something 'right'.

Wait, you actually say it sarcastically?? That MUST hurt their feelings. I cry for you sir.  disgust
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 15, 2007, 02:19:52 PM

Quote from: ATB on March 15, 2007, 01:26:16 PM

Wait, you actually say it sarcastically?? That MUST hurt their feelings. I cry for you sir.  disgust

you forgot he did it 'bitterly'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »

I trashtalk friends

"Oooh.  I seemed to have dropped my bullets.   I think I found them though.  Thanks for keeping them in your skull"

You know, that kinda thing.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »

Ron, we're talking about IN-GAME!!

There's a reason nobody comes to your birthday parties anymore...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »

I usually disable voice chat.  Having a squeeky pre-pubescent voice hurl racial slurs at me which don't actually apply to my racial situation isn't a way I prefer to spend my free time.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »

One of the most unfortunate things about online gameplay with random peoples is the apparent normalization of hate speech.  If I, at 14, had said 1/100th of what these kids say to me as I beat them down at Halo 2, I would've been beaten to death by my parents.  I sometimes wish that gamertags were publicly linked to real names.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 15, 2007, 05:03:46 PM

One of the most unfortunate things about online gameplay with random peoples is the apparent normalization of hate speech.  If I, at 14, had said 1/100th of what these kids say to me as I beat them down at Halo 2, I would've been beaten to death by my parents.  I sometimes wish that gamertags were publicly linked to real names.

+1 to that!  No pickup games for me....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »

For some reason, I've almost never encountered this stuff.  Only on a game of America's Army (I was kicked off after calling out the guy) a long time ago. but then, I don't play Halo 2.  But in my repeated R6 Vegas sessions, prettymuch nothing.  But then again, it was late night.

Just Hiro will do.
Kratz
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »

I don't say peep when I'm on randoms.  Or when the Dude is doing business.

I can't handle most random idiots... they talk constantly... or sing... or... get their first pube, I don't know... couldn't get a word in if I wanted.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 09:23:33 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 15, 2007, 05:26:32 PM

+1 to all of this.  I remember being grounded for mearly saying "shit"

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

I've had nothing but good experiences in MP gameplay... I haven't found too many idiots out there.

It's either that I KNOW I'll be playing with pre-pubescent american boys and I've lowered my standards, or more likely a part of my Live fee is only connecting me to canadians. slywink

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »

Speaking of Canadians, Purge... did you guys recently put an order in for totally smokin' female actresses?

I just realized that the new rockin' chick on Heroes is Missy Peregrym...

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 20, 2007, 11:40:07 AM

I've had nothing but good experiences in MP gameplay... I haven't found too many idiots out there.

It's either that I KNOW I'll be playing with pre-pubescent american boys and I've lowered my standards, or more likely a part of my Live fee is only connecting me to canadians. slywink

Yeah you like you some pre-pubescent american boys dont you? DONT YOU?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on March 20, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 15, 2007, 05:26:32 PM

+1 to all of this.  I remember being grounded for mearly saying "shit"

pussy.

I've been grounded for saying "cinchie" and excessive usage of the word "man" after every sentence.

Just Hiro will do.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »

Well I have quite the history of trash talking, but the best way to say it is, my friends did all the trash talking for me for a long time... lol..

We'd play Football every weekend against random adult-types back when I was 17-19... and absolutely crush them... Mainly because our defense was ravens-esque in the small amount of points we gave up.  The QB, the I wanna be qb and the RB when it wasn't me (Frank, Hederson and Andre respectively) would spend the entire game talking smack, from beginning to end.  How bad was it?  I was at a party like 4 years later and this kid came up to me and went: you used to play football with that frank guy right?    I paused... debated my answer and went... yeah?  He said: "I hated that guy I still want to kick his ass...." 

It was no better in a game of madden or NHL Hockey either...  They didnt have to be playing either, as background commentators, they were brutal.  Because of this I have an in depth knowledge of the irritation it causes and creates and so I avoid it.  I always try let my actions do the talking... but I can guarentee you, I can still irritate anyone inside 5/10 minutes if I need to just from years of my rat bastage friends.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »

Your mama... icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »

some quality lines over time:

I'm not playing vs the cowboys, more like the vienna boys choir... with worse defense

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 15, 2007, 05:01:02 PM

I usually disable voice chat.  Having a squeeky pre-pubescent voice hurl racial slurs at me which don't actually apply to my racial situation isn't a way I prefer to spend my free time.

as a 32 year old with a squeeky pre-pubescent voice, I'm offended!  I'll kick your ass once I finish my homework.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 01:19:28 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on March 15, 2007, 05:33:11 PM

For some reason, I've almost never encountered this stuff.  Only on a game of America's Army (I was kicked off after calling out the guy) a long time ago. but then, I don't play Halo 2.  But in my repeated R6 Vegas sessions, prettymuch nothing.  But then again, it was late night.

I've noticed most (but definitely not all) R6 players are pretty civil even when talking trash.  Gears and Halo on the other hand attract some of the most racist and foul mouthed idiots in the world.  (hmmm, ATB prefers Gears... Tongue )

I'm hoping (and I know it's in vain) that Halo 3 will either not have those types of players or will suck bad enough that I won't feel bad not playing with them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »

Someone said that I sound like ATB. I was most offended.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 04:35:37 PM »

Don't worry, you don't sound nearly as intelligent.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 12:50:05 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 17, 2007, 04:35:37 PM

Don't worry, you don't sound nearly as intelligent.

I'm sorry, I was doing a Canadian accent at the time.  It's all aboot the realism, eh?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »

Classy. Are you competing with Calvin on post padding?

Say SOMETHING man! I can see your words but I'm just not feeling it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 01:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 18, 2007, 12:32:16 PM

I grow weary of this post padding crap. I post about stuff that interests me. Sometimes it takes less than 10 words. I have been here a long time, hence I have a lot of posts. Finis.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 01:57:08 PM

Paddy pad pad pad-a-boom. Finis.

icon_twisted Tongue

Don't worry Purge, for you my heart will always go on!

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 03:22:04 PM »

I have been here a long time

2 days less than me, nubstick.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 18, 2007, 03:22:04 PM

I have been here a long time

2 days less than me, nubstick.

Well you wasted way too much time at the other site before you finally figured it out brainiac.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »

I generally avoid trash talking of any kind unless it's ripping myself or if I happen to be in game with an offline friend. I cannot stand listening to any random idiot (usually young male) trash talking and will either mute them or leave the game session. Listening to you guys is a completely different matter. It's actually entertaining given the context of the trash and the community on the forum.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »

Relevant Trash > general trash slywink gotcha.

(If I left out the equation, it would be Calvin-esque icon_twisted)

Spoiler for For Calvin:
We're all just envious of your almost-five-digit-contributions to this site. ATB cries himself to sleep at night knowing he's roughly 1/3 of the man you are; CeeKay has a hard case of Post-Envy.

I am rational and reason things out; if I had your luck with hardware, I too would have as many posts as you do in the hardware hell forum. biggrin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:01:26 PM by Purge » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 18, 2007, 04:59:02 PM

Relevant Trash > general trash slywink gotcha.

(If I left out the equation, it would be Calvin-esque icon_twisted)

Spoiler for For Calvin:
We're all just envious of your almost-five-digit-contributions to this site. ATB cries himself to sleep at night knowing he's roughly 1/3 of the man you are; CeeKay has a hard case of Post-Envy.

I am rational and reason things out; if I had your luck with hardware, I too would have as many posts as you do in the hardware hell forum. biggrin

I know purge. I know. He's envious.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2007, 11:49:47 AM

Speaking of Canadians, Purge... did you guys recently put an order in for totally smokin' female actresses?

I just realized that the new rockin' chick on Heroes is Missy Peregrym...

I put in the order; they have yet to arrive.

The hot tub showed up though. biggrin

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »

why does it seem every third post devolves into someone trying to pad posts or an arguement about post padding which helps all involved pad thier post count?

BTW

random sidenote: The young girl from hero's played the little blonde girl in Remeber the titans...

Top that random fact

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »

Alright... Odette (the hot brunette in October Road) was in Kindergarden Cop.

After two more people post on topic, I'll pop in with:

Quote from: Future Purge
Oh, and since this is the third post, I believe Semaj is padding his posts to compensate for being left out. Tongue

Since I'm lazy I'll do it now. Future Purge is irresponsible and wildly unreliable.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 12:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on April 19, 2007, 12:30:25 PM

why does it seem every third post devolves into someone trying to pad posts or an arguement about post padding which helps all involved pad thier post count?

BTW

random sidenote: The young girl from hero's played the little blonde girl in Remeber the titans...

Top that random fact

WTF?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: