http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:44:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips, Tricks, and Automobiles..Tabula Rasa....  (Read 1568 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:51:16 PM »

Don't shoot me for starting this thread I'm only the Piano man..
Anyway rather than sifting through "Tabula Rasa Beta" and "Tabula Rasa screenshots"...
I thought a specific thread dealing with gameplay might be in order..

New rig comes today...YES!
Just bought TR...YES!

I am so hoping that its good enough for me to break my habit-addiction to WoW...

That being said....Please let me know the things you wished you'd have known when you first started.
Not the easy way around things, not the fastest way to level..etc.,..Just stuff that wasn't clear at the beginning that
you wish was..

Danke for any info....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

*Regardless of your eventual class and what weapon they may get, you want the firearms skill from recruit maxed.  Rifles and Shotguns will always be useful.
*Go into your quest log and click each quest to add it to the tracker (there is a little box on the right).  Most quests when on the tracker will give you waypoint info on your map.
*Don't bother cloning at lvl 5.  Once you go through once you can get lvl 5 in about an hour.  Save that clone credit.  Clone at 14.9, do it before you actually hit 15, since you get a clone credit at 15, your clone will also get it once you level to 15 with the clone.  To clone log out to the character select screen and choose who you want to clone then click clone.

More to come later....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 15, 2008, 05:01:56 PM

Don't bother cloning at lvl 5.  Once you go through once you can get lvl 5 in about an hour.  Save that clone credit.  Clone at 14.9, do it before you actually hit 15, since you get a clone credit at 15, your clone will also get it once you level to 15 with the clone.  To clone log out to the character select screen and choose who you want to clone then click clone.

Technically you can't level to 15 (or 5 for that matter) until you've actually chosen your class (which only happens back at base). So you don't have to stop everything you're doing so you can log off to use your clone credit before you've leveled. But yes, I agree with not using your credit at 5.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:55:43 PM »

Nice, keep em coming... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 15, 2008, 05:54:43 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 15, 2008, 05:01:56 PM

Don't bother cloning at lvl 5.  Once you go through once you can get lvl 5 in about an hour.  Save that clone credit.  Clone at 14.9, do it before you actually hit 15, since you get a clone credit at 15, your clone will also get it once you level to 15 with the clone.  To clone log out to the character select screen and choose who you want to clone then click clone.

Technically you can't level to 15 (or 5 for that matter) until you've actually chosen your class (which only happens back at base). So you don't have to stop everything you're doing so you can log off to use your clone credit before you've leveled. But yes, I agree with not using your credit at 5.

Except once you hit the cusp and it says you levelled and to see a trainer that credit is awarded from my understanding.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:59:24 PM »

A few rambling things I wish I'd known when I started:
-As someone here pointed out to me, if your target gets a floating red skull above it, go run up and melee it (F key default) for double XP and a little burst of gore.  icon_twisted

-Lots of logos are back inside winding caves or you may need to up to a higher elevation to reach them. Keep that in mind since the map is 2-D but the environments are anything but. Meaning, if you reach an icon indicating a logos, and there's nothing there, look up, look above, or look around for a way to reach low or high. smile

-Speaking of logos, logosatlas.com is definitely your friend if you find yourself getting stumped on them. If you're worried about spoiling things, at least look up the Logos that require you to have 2-4 other logos first before you can open the transparent door to them (saves a lot of frustration).

-Pay attention to what ammo works best on which kinds of targets. You'll figure it out soon enough but I can't tell you how many new players I've seen pouring non-EMP weapons into enemies that won't take a scratch if you don't use EMP stuff (just one example)

-If you're really impatient about leveling, then doing instances (preferably with people, but in many cases you can solo it OK) is key.

-Instance missions are given all over the place (within the instance, outside the instance, sometimes not even in the same general planet zone), and sometimes you turn in missions completed *in* the instance *outside* the instance.

-If you play on Pegasus, look me up so I can add you to our fledgling, tiny (3 members with a few alts) GT clan. I haven't given up on it, despite a couple invitations to other larger clans. smile

-The Eloh Temples? Oh gawd, don't even get me started. Visit tentonhammer.com and make use of their guide for that and just about any other complicated quest arc you get stuck on. smile
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:04:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

A couple things that popped into my head for newer players:
-Since Control Point bases/outposts often go back and forth (and their waypoints aren't accessible while Bane-controlled), keep an eye out for  when Control Points are in ASF hands -- then try to at least get in there long enough to walk on the Waypoint once. Examples would be the Purgas CP in Divide (on my first go around, i never saw it in ASF hands -- players just didn't seem to have much interest in trying to take it back), and a couple of the CPs in Palisades.

-Sometimes - I don't know if its' always - if an objective icon (walkie talkie) is inside a cave, if you look at your local minimap, you'll see a vague outline marketing the cave tunnel's path (it's not reflected on the main map until you're actually inside the cave/tunnels afik). Usually you can get an idea of where the mouth/entrance to the cave is, if you look closely a bit.

-Grenades seem terribly underused (I almost never see other players tossing them). If you don't otherwise have something capable of damaging several targets at a time, stock up, they're pretty cheap. Incendiary is good on those nasty Miasmas if they gang up on you. They're helpful on the annoying Warnets too if they start swarming. Be careful using them in base defense, because you don't necessarily want 20 Bane ganging up on you at the same time -- but if they already are anyway, it's often useful.  icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »

Semi related. In the beta I once logged out insidea nice safe base only to log in the next day inside a hostile base and killed. Was the same base, just the Bane had cap'd it. Nasty surprise.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 20, 2008, 03:56:53 PM

-Grenades seem terribly underused (I almost never see other players tossing them). If you don't otherwise have something capable of damaging several targets at a time, stock up, they're pretty cheap.

There's a reason nobody uses grenades - everybody gets the shotgun skill. Last time I checked (which was a while ago), grenades did FAR smaller damage, and at a higher cost per 'shot' verses the ammo cost of of my shotgun.

That said - I highly recommend getting all 5 skill levels of the basic rifle/pistol/shotgun skill. They're your tried and true reliable weapons no matter your level. Yes, the weapons further down the tier tend to be better, but they all have their use. Nothing quite like being able to cheaply and quickly blast away a dozen targets at once (with knockdown) with the shotgun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2008, 05:38:52 PM

Semi related. In the beta I once logged out insidea nice safe base only to log in the next day inside a hostile base and killed. Was the same base, just the Bane had cap'd it. Nasty surprise.

yeah, if you log out when you're in a CP always do it just outside the exit (or on the battlements if they are low enough to jump off of).

alos, keep in mind if you use a trauma kit your stats may not be back up to full strength even though they are green.  I noticed that if you have enough bonus's from armor and stuff to push it over your base body, mind or spirit it'll show as green (not penalized) even though you may still have a penalty.  I found myself usually just stepping away from the PC for 5 minutes after dying (unless I was defending a CP) to make sure the rez trauma went away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »

Belatedly, I noticed mmodb.com has added a Tabula Rasa sub-site, at:
http://tr.mmodb.com/

I like the idea but it's very much a work in progress, and I'm not sure it's as helpful as it wants to be - yet, anyway.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:24:18 AM »

Was desperate for a solution for an annoying puzzle quest in the Pools area ("Spy Networking," which requires a lot of clicking at a computer terminal while the NPC user is sent away). After checking a foreign language TR forum, learned about a fairly useful fan site (it's in English) called

TaRapedia:
http://tabularasa.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Sure enough, they had a solution for Spy Networking at:
http://tabularasa.wikia.com/wiki/Spy_Networking

Definitely a good site to bookmark for TR. Whew.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Playing
PC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: