http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:15:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wanderers & Warhammer Online  (Read 12549 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

the pvp is better than the expression, that's for sure. really all i cared about.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on August 15, 2008, 06:54:12 PM

More time has passed and I must say that while I still think the concept is great, I'm not quite sure it's really as good as the expression. A matter of taste, naturally, but still.

Details will follow...

Uh oh...well, I'm only the hook for $10 right now.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2008, 01:29:30 AM »

In regards to the open beta, word around the MMO watercooler is there's going to be a big "Preview Weekend" launch for folks that pre-ordered the CE and Mythic has already stated it will not be happening this weekend.
So taking that into account along with the upcoming Labor Day weekend and the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter is aligned with mars..... I'd say open beta will begin around September 5th.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2008, 02:02:37 AM »

If it's just for CE orders, I'm going to start being very pissed that Gamestop didn't give me my CE preorder codes.

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2008, 02:05:48 AM »

My understanding is the Open beta is for all Pre-orders, the Preview weekend is an exclusive for CE folks.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2008, 02:59:07 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 15, 2008, 08:56:48 PM

the pvp is better than the expression, that's for sure. really all i cared about.

I'm a bit concerned that the 2 servers I've been on having a 2:1 ratio favoring Destruction. I haven't looked into it but is/will there be a way to balance out the RvR stuff in regards to capital cities and such?  If not I think I won't get too attached to a server until I see one with some sort of balance.  My PvP server on WoW was horrendous due to a large imbalance and took a long time to become tolerable enough for me to return.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2008, 04:53:16 AM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on August 16, 2008, 02:59:07 AM

Quote from: jersoc on August 15, 2008, 08:56:48 PM

I'm a bit concerned that the 2 servers I've been on having a 2:1 ratio favoring Destruction. I haven't looked into it but is/will there be a way to balance out the RvR stuff in regards to capital cities and such?  If not I think I won't get too attached to a server until I see one with some sort of balance.  My PvP server on WoW was horrendous due to a large imbalance and took a long time to become tolerable enough for me to return.

Yeah, this is exactly why EQ2 very quickly changed the entire game mechanic to make it where player characters of either alignment could group together.  WoW's servers are typically extremely unbalanced, although a few are better.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »

My PvP server on WoW was horrendous due to a large imbalance and took a long time to become tolerable enough for me to return.
imbalance is not gonna happen. Server have population balances on faction not overall/  example.

Usually games have server overall pop limits.  ex. say 10k subscribers per server.   In WAR they are making it faction based pop limits per server.  Using the above example it would be 5k each side pop limit.  Even if overall pop  is just 8k, it may be filled for one side so (5k dest 3k order) so if that is the case only order accounts could be created on that server, until some destruction accounts are cancelled.

ANyway, game is gonna be huge, I suspect they need at least 24 to 36 servers to start.  In america this game will be as big as wow imho. As for asians markets? we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:01:20 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »

well i did pvp as dest and there was more order out in rvr. so yeah.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:02 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on August 16, 2008, 06:58:59 PM

My PvP server on WoW was horrendous due to a large imbalance and took a long time to become tolerable enough for me to return.
imbalance is not gonna happen. Server have population balances on faction not overall/  example.

Usually games have server overall pop limits.  ex. say 10k subscribers per server.   In WAR they are making it faction based pop limits per server.  Using the above example it would be 5k each side pop limit.  Even if overall pop  is just 8k, it may be filled for one side so (5k dest 3k order) so if that is the case only order accounts could be created on that server, until some destruction accounts are cancelled.

Where did you get this info?  I know I read something along these lines a long time ago but I'm not sure if they are still going with it.  There are issues with this approach where guilds/friends might be out of luck getting more people to join because their server hit the side limit.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »

A friend and I were discussing lopsided server population last night. This was a fairly big issue in DAOC back in the day and our discussion was based around the hope that Mythic had learned some lessons and had come up with a solution. My friend through out the idea of limiting server population based on faction as well and after tossing it around we came to the conclusion it still really doesnt help much. Say a servers total population is set at 5k and once one side reaches 2k players can no longer create a character of that faction. Now lets say in the interim 1k players have created characters on the opposing faction. One side is still out numbered 2 to 1 and you haven't even hit the cap yet. I am definitely no math wiz and there may be some algorithim you could use to maintain a balance but the only thing I could come up with would be to only allow character creation per faction in very very small increments to maintain some sort of balance.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2008, 03:00:32 AM »

i honestly don't see it as a big deal. it seems like you guys are using a lot of ifs and assumpations. IF every player was rvr'ing at the same time. that won't happen, ever. i dunno about you, but if i hear a place needing help i'll generally head over there. it saves time from searching out the battles and stuff. plus i don't think everyone will want to rvr. some may very well be content with the battlegrounds. some may just wanna get achievements. even if one side is bigger the few numbers won't matter.

non-issue.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 17, 2008, 03:00:32 AM

i honestly don't see it as a big deal. it seems like you guys are using a lot of ifs and assumpations. IF every player was rvr'ing at the same time. that won't happen, ever. i dunno about you, but if i hear a place needing help i'll generally head over there. it saves time from searching out the battles and stuff. plus i don't think everyone will want to rvr. some may very well be content with the battlegrounds. some may just wanna get achievements. even if one side is bigger the few numbers won't matter.

non-issue.

A voice of reason that I agree with.

You can play "worse case scenario" with anything. Usually its much less dramatic so the out come is much less of a problem.

I just pre-ordered from EB-Games online. First time I've done that for a game...Getting soft in my old age I guess.
So will the early beta access be a download of the game online?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:21:31 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 17, 2008, 10:33:42 AM

only for those of us in the inner circle.  you have to drive to Mythic to pick it up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2008, 05:38:02 PM

only for those of us in the inner circle.  you have to drive to Mythic to pick it up.

I hear the inner circle is being investigated for nepotism and poor choice in clothing.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2008, 12:31:42 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 17, 2008, 07:52:15 PM

I hear the inner circle is being investigated for nepotism and poor choice in clothing.

could be, but since I'm the one running the investigation I don't foresee any one getting indited.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2008, 12:31:42 AM

Quote from: Arclight on August 17, 2008, 07:52:15 PM

could be, but since I'm the one running the investigation I don't foresee any one getting indited.

You didn't get the memo? Your fired. Playing hand-held gaming devices while on duty is a huge no no.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

Wanderers are on Kraka Drak server for the weekend (both Order and Destruction).

If we can get a guild up, /who Wanderers to find us and then you can send tell for an invite.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 22, 2008, 01:11:11 PM

Wanderers are on Kraka Drak server for the weekend (both Order and Destruction).

If we can get a guild up, /who Wanderers to find us and then you can send tell for an invite.

so we're all Kraka's?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2008, 02:53:12 PM

Quote from: skystride on August 22, 2008, 01:11:11 PM

so we're all Kraka's?  icon_twisted

Every time I see that name, I think Crack Addict for some reason.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »

Wanted to bump this once to say that with head start beginning Sunday at 7 AM EDT (Collector's Ed) and Tuesday at 7 AM EDT (Standard Ed), and rollout on Thursday, that the Wanderers are going to have a good number of people playing. But there's always room for one more!

Our server has not yet been determined, but it will be posted on the front page at http://www.the-wanderers-guild.com when we pick. Probably won't know until Sunday when we see what servers are initially available.

And we're still rolling out as Order/Core.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »

After a bit of waffling we have decided to roll on the OSTERMARK RP server.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
GGIronSkull
Gaming Trend Reader

Up the Irons!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »

"Ma Face Hurtz"

This after getting our small guild onto Ostermark for the CE headstart.  We of course enlisted in the WAAAAAAGH!

Unfortunately....It seems that most everyone one playing a black orc or a chosen...has no idea that their job is to keep small stunties with large axes off of the shamans and other healers if they want to live more than 5 seconds in the face of the "Wanderers"...wave after wave of axe weilding lunatics...GRIM....Panzer...My Face still Hurts...

*makes note to teach his brethren about this collision detection thingy*

Which is a lovely thing....seing three Black orcs surrounding a stunty so they can't get away...is freakin awsome.

I look forward to seeing many more times on the battle fields

Ironskull
Dead Tree Kult

Computer-A-Thon:   C.A.T.

3 days of sleep deprivation, Thai Food, and trash talking, all centered around making the network gods smile upon us so that we may smoke, frag, hack, kerplode, and otherwise beat upon your friends in a basement in Idaho.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

How's the balance with Destruction on Ostermark?  I rolled a dwarf with some people I play WoW with on Averheim and RvR has been total fail.  We were outnumbered so badly in 2 of the 3 zones we tried that I'm going to hold off leveling for now on that server.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »

On Ostermark, I noticed that it says population Medium for both sides when I login.  Order is somewhat dominating at the moment which might have something to do with the two biggest guilds being Order (Wanderers are one of the two).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on September 18, 2008, 08:15:41 PM

How's the balance with Destruction on Ostermark?  I rolled a dwarf with some people I play WoW with on Averheim and RvR has been total fail.  We were outnumbered so badly in 2 of the 3 zones we tried that I'm going to hold off leveling for now on that server.

plenty of other things to do, than just being in the openland RvR zone - Pve, public quests, and the PvP scenarios, which are awesome!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

If you stop levelling there, you're only putting your side even further behind. slywink  Be a team player!  Fight the good fight!  Go Underdogs!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »

Thank GOODNESS my machine can run it.   

I am having a bit of choppyness in the noob area.   I'm unsure if this has to do with my aging computer, or if the highly populated areas tend to get a little chop to them because of the number of players on the screen.   

I also have been trying to run it in my laptop's native resolution which is 1900 x 1200.     I have a big monitor that has a native resoluation of 1600xwhatever and I was thinking of hooking it up to that.    You think that might improve my performance?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 19, 2008, 01:49:03 PM

I also have been trying to run it in my laptop's native resolution which is 1900 x 1200.     I have a big monitor that has a native resoluation of 1600xwhatever and I was thinking of hooking it up to that.    You think that might improve my performance?

Running at a lower resolution should make things easier on your graphic card. Especially if it's a laptop card.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 19, 2008, 07:40:11 AM

If you stop levelling there, you're only putting your side even further behind. slywink  Be a team player!  Fight the good fight!  Go Underdogs!

Underdog yes, sacrificial lamb no thanks  icon_cry  RvR is too important in this game for it to be avoided.  I tried again last night and the dwarf v greenskin RvR zone was empty  for at least an hour icon_confused  The merged PQ below the T2 starting point for both factions was dominated by Destruction.  We haven't given up total hope and will check out the other zones again tonight but I already rolled a new toon on Ostermark.  If Order is the underdog, an organized large guild can offset the numbers quite a bit.  Unfortunately I didn't notice any on Averheim so I'm diversifying  icon_wink
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »

I downloaded the game yesterday from D2D, and am on Ostermark as "Jefferson" - a warrior priest. So if anyone in the Wanderers can shoot me an invite, I'd appreciate it.

I am a complete noob to the game and know virtually nothing about it, but I have lots of WoW experience. I need someone to hold my hand, Ima-scared! smile

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 20, 2008, 12:40:21 PM

I downloaded the game yesterday from D2D, and am on Ostermark as "Jefferson" - a warrior priest. So if anyone in the Wanderers can shoot me an invite, I'd appreciate it.

I am a complete noob to the game and know virtually nothing about it, but I have lots of WoW experience. I need someone to hold my hand, Ima-scared! smile

You and I are in the same boat Jeff.    I'm a total noob, haven't read anything about the game other than knowing it was hyped and was getting good feedback, and am a veteran from WoW.     Many of the others have a significant head start on us.   

If I can help you in any way (or help each other) my in-game name is Plainsrunner.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 20, 2008, 01:47:03 PM

You and I are in the same boat Jeff.    I'm a total noob, haven't read anything about the game other than knowing it was hyped and was getting good feedback, and am a veteran from WoW.     Many of the others have a significant head start on us.   

If I can help you in any way (or help each other) my in-game name is Plainsrunner.

Ok, I'll put our political differences aside for now ... for the good of the ..... whatever side it is we're on in the game! smile

I just re-rolled a Bright Wizard (like him better so far) his name is Lotho. I'll send you a tell.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 20, 2008, 01:55:51 PM

Quote from: msduncan on September 20, 2008, 01:47:03 PM

Ok, I'll put our political differences aside for now ... for the good of the ..... whatever side it is we're on in the game! smile

I just re-rolled a Bright Wizard (like him better so far) his name is Lotho. I'll send you a tell.

Finally downloaded/patched up and ready to play.....hmmm I guess I better register with the Wanderers and put up a recruitment post.  Haven't created a toon yet, wanted to do a little research on the classes/races before I do.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

Interesting - that was my name for my Shaman in WoW.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »

OK, ready to go. Questions...

1) Can we still join the guild on Ostermark? If so, are there classes that are really needed (e.g. I was thinking Engineer for order)

2) Same question for Chaos (and what servers is the guild on)?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: