http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 12:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new beta testers' WoW impressions thread!  (Read 8491 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2004, 08:36:48 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
Sorry to dump on your smartass remark, but no, that wasn't possible.  What happened was...

Thanks for the constuctive help, though.  :roll:

Calm down, dude*.  I wasn't trying to be a jackass, you just didn't post the "What happened was" part in your first question, which made it sound like you were staring at the character select screen with the "Change Realm" button in the corner.  I've missed obvious crap like that before and wasn't trying to be smarmy or anything.  

Chill.

*edited

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2004, 08:41:05 PM »

Nice impressions Gryndyl.

I agree that Ironforge is awesome. To me it is by far the best representation of what I consider a dwarven city that has ever been in a computer game.

I kind of wish there was not a tram from Stormwind to Ironforge so the dwarves would be more isolated. But you can't have everything i guess.

Seems only hunters and rogues wear leather (is that correct?).
. Druids also wear leather. Also, at 40th level, hunters can wear mail armor (not to be confused with plate, which is what warriors and paladins can wear at 40th).

I think that the cooks and the alchemists are the ones that are going to be making the most money.

Cooking, along with Fishing and First Aid, are not considered "professions". You can master all 3 of those if you choose in addition to 2 professions.

Two gathering professions seem to be the best money-makers in the long run. Mining, Herbalism, and Skinning being the 3 gathering professions. Most of the other professions require refined materials gathered from mining and herbalism (alchemy needs herbs, blacksmithing, engineering need mining). Skinninng and Tailor go together nicely as well.  

The Dwarf ability to spot treasure on the minimap is very cool

I like it as well but since you can only have one "find" skill up at once, i think its usefullness is rather limited. Miners and Herbilist always want to have their Find Minerals/Herbs ability up. Hunters usually want to have one of the tracking skills up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2004, 08:44:31 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Sorry to dump on your smartass remark, but no, that wasn't possible.  What happened was...

Calm down, asshole.  I wasn't trying to be a jackass, you just didn't post the "What happened was" part in your first question, which made it sound like you were staring at the character select screen with the "Change Realm" button in the corner.  I've missed obvious crap like that before and wasn't trying to be smarmy or anything.  

Chill.

I don't have mod powers...yet , but I very much want you to stick around LE. Just take out the word *asshole* and lets escape the wrath of the mods, ok man? You got your point across, and I think mb was being unfairly harsh about your post, but personal attacks are only going to get you unwanted attention.  :twisted:
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2004, 08:58:20 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Day 2 impressions
We got one quest there to kill a pig in a pumpkin patch but despite quite a lot of searching we never found either pig or pumpkin patch in the area described. This is about where we called it on the humans

Ha! i think i ran by your pig (was it called princess or something similar?) when i was doing a warlock quest in the same pumpkin patch.

The area is basically south east of goldshire (mostly east). Princess has 2 other pigs following her around all of the time so you probably don't want to solo it. The pumpkin patch is also full of level 9-10 (i think) bandits, BUT when i was there, there a couple other groups of people there too.

I am on server 31 (rp server) and i really like it. The people are very nice. The two times i had to kill elite bosses (lagash and hogger), i easily and quickly grouped with another person there to kill it and then we went our seperate ways.

I also like Ironforge a ton. The city is just great. It is big and yet not empty. Stormwind is pretty bad though. Stormwind is big, but pretty empty. While ironforge has guards everywhere (and you can ask guards for directions to anything in the city so they are very helpful), stormwind is nearly totally empty. I could not find 1 guard that i could ask directions in stormwind and i looked a bit.

My gnome warlock is level 12 and i am still really enjoying him (well, except for i really want to give him a hat or a helmet :x ). My voidwalker tanks really well and can grab agro quite easily. Fear is well, great. I can make adds go away for a while if i need to. My dots do a lot of damage and can be on multiple enemies at once. health stones are nice! it is like having an unlimited supply of FREE health potions. My shadow bolt also does a great deal of damage.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2004, 09:25:55 PM »

Calm down, (edited thankfully).  I wasn't trying to be a jackass, you just didn't post the "What happened was" part in your first question, which made it sound like you were staring at the character select screen with the "Change Realm" button in the corner.  I've missed obvious crap like that before and wasn't trying to be smarmy or anything.  

Chill.

mb737, LE made a comment that rubbed you wrong.  You did notice the smiley at the end of his comment? That means you should take what came before it with a grain of salt and realize it was meant in good humor.  No need to refer to it as a smartass remark.

Lord Ebonstone - personal attacks are not allowed on these boards, even if someone gets snarky with you.  I'd appreciate it if you would edit your post which, otherwise, was very calm and well-reasoned.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2004, 09:55:26 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Day 2 impressions
We got one quest there to kill a pig in a pumpkin patch but despite quite a lot of searching we never found either pig or pumpkin patch in the area described. This is about where we called it on the humans

Ha! i think i ran by your pig (was it called princess or something similar?) when i was doing a warlock quest in the same pumpkin patch.

The area is basically south east of goldshire (mostly east). Princess has 2 other pigs following her around all of the time so you probably don't want to solo it. The pumpkin patch is also full of level 9-10 (i think) bandits, BUT when i was there, there a couple other groups of people there too.

I am on server 31 (rp server) and i really like it. The people are very nice. The two times i had to kill elite bosses (lagash and hogger), i easily and quickly grouped with another person there to kill it and then we went our seperate ways.

I also like Ironforge a ton. The city is just great. It is big and yet not empty. Stormwind is pretty bad though. Stormwind is big, but pretty empty. While ironforge has guards everywhere (and you can ask guards for directions to anything in the city so they are very helpful), stormwind is nearly totally empty. I could not find 1 guard that i could ask directions in stormwind and i looked a bit.

My gnome warlock is level 12 and i am still really enjoying him (well, except for i really want to give him a hat or a helmet :x ). My voidwalker tanks really well and can grab agro quite easily. Fear is well, great. I can make adds go away for a while if i need to. My dots do a lot of damage and can be on multiple enemies at once. health stones are nice! it is like having an unlimited supply of FREE health potions. My shadow bolt also does a great deal of damage.

Yep, Princess it was. My dwarven hunter paid a visit to the area to join up with my roommates human warrior and hunt Hogger. My tracking ability allowed us to find him very quickly and it occurred to me that we'd be able to find Princess easily with the hunter tracking her.  The directions that the questgiver hands out though are pretty poor.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2004, 10:38:02 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Lord Ebonstone - personal attacks are not allowed on these boards, even if someone gets snarky with you.  I'd appreciate it if you would edit your post which, otherwise, was very calm and well-reasoned.
Fixed.  Sorry, I hear the edited word and sling it around in good humor quite a bit, so it didn't even cross my mind what I was typing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2004, 10:43:06 PM »

I played around for a couple of hours today as a hunter, too (Tauren). So far, I'm enjoying it a good bit more than I did when I was playing as an undead Warlock (granted I only played until level 5). I think it's mainly the beginning area for the Taurens that I prefer. Using a gun is pretty fun, as is my tracking ability (it's a lot easier to find the particular monsters you're looking for if you can just place the cursor over the mini-map to see their names).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2004, 10:54:05 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Fixed.  Sorry, I hear the edited word and sling it around in good humor quite a bit, so it didn't even cross my mind what I was typing.

Thanks.  Cold beverages to all involved.  Now back to the game....
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »

And no one even mentions my effort to bring love to this thread frown
warning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2004, 11:57:57 PM »

Did you guys just hear something?

:wink:
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2004, 05:35:31 AM »

I think it's mainly the beginning area for the Taurens that I prefer.

Now you've done it, you've caused me to go off on a rant about the starting areas...

Tirisfal is just disgusting.  The whole place is covered in puke-colored fog, and everything else in the zone is puke-colored, too.  And the music is fairly obnoxious in a "Is this a horror movie or a video game?" kind of way.  And should you want to head right on over to Durotar via the Undercity Zeppelin, I hope you like dodging the thirty million hostile monsters that stick closer to the road than you do.  Did I mention I hate Tirisfal?

Thus far, I've found Durotar and Mulgore the best starting areas.  Least crowded, best scenery, great music.  You can run to Thunder Bluff or Orgrimmar along the roads without getting completely jacked up every five feet by level 10 hostile mobs.  And of course, the lazy peons quest is awesome.  "Here's a blackjack.  Go club five sleeping peons in the face and get them back to work.  Ok?"  Mulgore is awesome too.  I seriously think that they made it that way as a consolation prize for having picked a giant cow for a character.

Don't even get me started on the Night Elf starting area.  What a mess.  The "collect body parts from enemies you kill" quests there are the absolute worst.  Not only are the drop rates generally low (the small spider leg quest is awful like this), but you are competing with the 30,000 jackoff NE newbies for monsters.  The end result is a horrible, horrible starting area.  

At least you get to experience the most fun death in the game - jumping off of the Wellspring Falls.  Just don't try to recover your corpse. =)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2004, 09:07:18 AM »

I think the night elf starting area is pretty!

Ok, I’m just really tired, I finally made it to a non-elf area and after luscious trees and greens it does look quite ugly.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2004, 11:23:37 AM »

I have played through all of the starter areas, most of them more than once.  I liked Tirisfal, I thought the Undead stuff had a nice theme to it.  I did not like the Night Elf starting places, Kalimdor in general I dont really like.  Lots of travel time.

I havent played through the lower end Horde stuff recently, but IMO the most player friendly ones are easily the Human and Dwarf/Gnome starting regions.  Good looking areas, nice themes for each zone and lots of good quests.  I hate Westfall though, if you head there for solo play right after finishing Elwynn Forest, which is the 'natural' progression, you are in for a lot of deaths and near misses.  Big aggro ranges and lots of mobs that have ranged attacks or stun/daze/root stuff that prevents you from shagging ass if you get jumped.

olaf
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2004, 07:10:39 PM »

I just got a tauren hunter to level 8. Pain in the ass! I seemed to be very weak and i had no money. Well, let me rephrase that, i was very weak since i had no money! Where as my warlock needed basically no equipment and only had to buy spells, my hunter needs good weapons (both an axe, a gun and ammo to fire it!) AND abilities. The tauren areas seem a lot harder than the ironforge ares imo. The guys here link A LOT and there are bodies everywhere heh. Hopefully, once i reach 10 and get a pet, i won't have to keep my melee weapon up to date.

I also hope to try a human paladin before release. As it seems now though, i will be going gnome warlock as my warlock seemed to be much more powerful and fun (cool pets, dots, dd spells, curses, fear) than my hunter
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2004, 11:30:52 PM »

Now you've done it, you've caused me to go off on a rant about the starting areas...

Tirisfal is just disgusting. The whole place is covered in puke-colored fog, and everything else in the zone is puke-colored, too. And the music is fairly obnoxious in a "Is this a horror movie or a video game?" kind of way. And should you want to head right on over to Durotar via the Undercity Zeppelin, I hope you like dodging the thirty million hostile monsters that stick closer to the road than you do. Did I mention I hate Tirisfal?

Heh, Tirisfal is my favorite starting area  slywink  Plus it helps the undead are my favorite race.  After Tirisfal, Thunderbluff gets my vote.  Bottom of my list is Ironforge area.  Couldn't stand it.

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2004, 01:21:16 AM »

Man, i saw some people on the beta forums saying that playing paladins was like playing on easy mode and up to level 4 (game became unplayable because of lag after that time) it seems to be true.

Its insane how easy a time my paladin had getting to 4 compared to my gnome warlock and tauren hunter. No downtime at all, easily killing mobs a couple levels higher than me.

oh and before anyone says it, i know that i only took a paladin to 4 and results may vary later on, but due to extreme server problems, i have been unable to level him up any more.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2004, 02:27:13 AM »

I got my paladin to 9 in a couple hours earlier just to test how easy it was, and yeah, its insanely easy. Later on though, I imagine that it will get a whole hell of a lot harder when the much weaker attack power vs. warriors and the difficulty tanking vs. warriors kicks in. Still, looks like a fun class.

I still cant decide between mage and warrior though. I really need to.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2004, 09:17:53 PM »

There's a video floating around showing a level 60 paladin dueling a level 60 warrior. 1st fight, warrior with big ultimate warrior sword (dreadsword?). Paladin: unarmed. Takes a while but the paladin wins. 2md fight. Paladin uses a one handed sword and a shield. Wins pretty quickly. 3rd Fight: paladin uses a 2 handed hammer. Wins in 3 hits

Expect a paladin nerf Tongue

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2004, 09:35:41 PM »

There's a video floating around showing a level 60 paladin dueling a level 60 warrior. 1st fight, warrior with big ultimate warrior sword (dreadsword?). Paladin: unarmed. Takes a while but the paladin wins. 2md fight. Paladin uses a one handed sword and a shield. Wins pretty quickly. 3rd Fight: paladin uses a 2 handed hammer. Wins in 3 hits

Expect a paladin nerf Razz

SILENCE FOOL!!! Don't let blizzard hear you. They might revert us to what we were, the worst class in the game.

Ascendent
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2004, 06:57:43 AM »

I am really starting to love my tauren hunter (level 13 currently) the most. I had a really hard time with him at first, but once he got the ability to tame pets, he started to be really good. Hunters can do a ton of damage with their guns and once they have their pet to tank for them, they can do it uninterupted. Tracking is also great for find bosses/named mobs and just for keeping track of mobs around you in general.

oh and i just got a level 13 raptor pet and he is cool. He is purple though and before i saw someone with a red one, so i am going to try to get a red one too if it isn't too much trouble biggrin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: