http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa Screenshots (dial-ups beware)  (Read 10278 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »

Thought I'd start a screenshots thread (and try to keep the general TR thread fast loading smile).

What finally got me over the hump to 15 last night (Concordia Divide has an endless wealth of missions but several are ones I'm struggling with in terms of finding the designated targets) was informally participating in a desperate defense of the Hydro Plant (which the AI Bane kept assaulting in massive waves after losing it earlier). Really cool stuff. I love getting on the base walls, plopping next to one of the AI laser cannon turrets for cover, and raining down what I can (often on baddies several levels above me). If I have to resort to grinding a bit, that's my preferred form. smile

I really love the idea of a base being in danger of getting overrun (and its contacts and such becoming unusable in the process) as far as giving players a strong "carrot" to help protect it on occasion.

Some pics...

When they get this far inside the base, you've got problems.  icon_surprised

This Bane chased me into the building and I had fun using the various tables as shields.

Around this time is when I thought the Hydro base situation was hopeless. I tried to take cover, but I basically just devoured my machine gun ammo and helped as much as I could (in spite of dying faster than I could use Rez sickness kits).  icon_cool You could say it just ends up a giant "Bane Whack-A-Mole" game but I sometimes feel truly heroic in this situations. There are so many friendly AI troops trying to help out, it's a bit hard to pick out the real players (I probably just need to adjust what "name tags" I have showing).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »

And since I hit 15, a couple from that...

I did make a clone, but for now I went Commando. I like to mix it up, waste a lot of ammo, fire big guns etc. smile

The Graviton armor, in addition to the improvements above, offered about 1,000 higher armor rating than the Reflective armor I had been using at 14. And, it basically makes Jude look like a ... Transformer.  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 06:51:05 PM »

On the flipside, participated in a desperate effort to take back one of the control points (Valley thingie) in Wilderness. It's tough to take back, what with the laser cannon turrets now firing on you, and the entrance force field seems to take a tremendous amount of EMP to bring down (we had 4-5 of us firing and it took quite a while).

Some sequence pics...

This was kinda fun. I made a desperate push towards the entrance (I guess if I realized one person can't possibly get the forcefield down in a reasonable amount of time, I might've done something different), and, right on que, the AI-controlled ASF mech hits its "air jet" and rushed right in front of me. Like a guard pulling in front of a running back in football...

Then again, maybe not a good idea. I think the "hexagonal radiation" is either a buff or heal from a caretaker.

I was on a small team and we worked with some pick-up players on getting field down (the bane dropped reinforcements right on top of us as we finished)

Teammate worked on the "CP" mechanism while I guarded

And it all went back to heck anyway.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 22, 2007, 03:47:40 PM

The Graviton armor, in addition to the improvements above, offered about 1,000 higher armor rating than the Reflective armor I had been using at 14. And, it basically makes Jude look like a ... Transformer.  icon_lol

I'm 20 (I think) and with the Graviton armor I have something like 5500 armor and 600HP. It's absolutely nuts.

I also don't like the Commando weapon. It just doesn't do enough damage for the poor firing rate. I'd much rather get in and Shotty away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:25:52 AM »

Here's Hans sporting the latest in Stealth-wear (TM):

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:56:03 AM »

I can still see you  ninja2

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 23, 2007, 03:56:03 AM

I can still see you  ninja2

he's actually standing on the left hand side of the screenshot  slywink

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »

I took a few FRAPS movies. Nothing all that great, but I kinda like this base defense short flick. It's a bit distorted (I recorded at 512X384 but the host site displays as 640X480), but at least it's full speed. smile

I don't think we can embed stuff here, so you'll need to visit my little link at a hosting site called Putfile.com (if yer interested that is):
Click here to watch Base-Defense-in-NCSofts-Tabula-Rasa-game

And a brief little firefight from the Bane base area in the Divide (we each used a different type of weapon, which was kind of neat):
Click here to watch Firefight-in-NCSofts-Tabula-Rasa-game

Aaaand, Sulastani from the GT forums here and I teamed up for a while this afternoon for some fun:

I agree the Launchers are sluggish (unless yer willing to invest a lot of training points into it -- eventually you can cut the loading time to about 40% of normal), but I don't think they're meant to be our bread and butter. It's more of a situational tool I'd call it (I find Rockets and the like esp. useful in the base defense/assault situations). We'll see though. I read they plan to give everybody a free, full respec at some point (so people can consider re-distributing to accommodate some changes/balancing upcoming). Right now I'm trying a bit of everything, but I hope to focus on some things at some point.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:25:12 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:26:56 PM »

Here's some peeks at the auction house (called Military Surplus in TR):

It's a good feature to have. I'm awash in loot, and the quest rewards are consistently good, so I just don't bother with it. It's there if you're into that sort of thing (variety is good imho), and easy to ignore if you're not. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:06:21 PM »

IMHO - the stuff on the AH is FAR better than the stuff you can find as quest rewards, especially in the weapon department. My level 20 found stuff that seriously put a bump on his damage output, and most of it was dirt cheap (especially with my 200k in credits at this point).

Just search by weapon type and sort by level (or just put in a level range you can use). Then just start comparing what you have.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »

Click here to watch Tabula-Rasa-spider-combat-footage

If this looks Too Easy, it's cause I backtracked to a spider cave (and logos) that I missed in Divide.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:52:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 03:33:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 24, 2007, 02:50:33 PM

Click here to watch Tabula-Rasa-spider-combat-footage

If this looks Too Easy, it's cause I backtracked to a spider cave (and logos) that I missed in Divide.

beating up on green spiders bully?  Tongue  I had to kill a whole Spider Village the other night to get one Logos in the Divide- they just kept spawning and spawning fairly quickly, and then some punk jumped in front of me and I had to wait for it to recharge.  I got revenge though, as he aggro'd all the new spiders further out and I just waltzed by him as he was getting torn to shreds by them  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 06:14:20 AM »

In the bigger they are, the harder they fall department (Stalkers):
Click here to watch Tabula-Rasa-game-stalker-combat-footage

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:54 AM »

A little character update.  Cool

This is all Graviton armor, which makes the points I put early into Motor Assist  :-[ seem like such a waste now (but a free respec is coming along any day now I hear).

And Happiness is a warm Teleract Laser Chaingun...

My black sky texture problem actually comes in handy for portrait pictures. biggrin

I'm quite happy with chainguns (was able to put a 4th point into them, which ups damage greatly and reduces how quickly they wear out in use), even with the more expensive 2nd level of ammo types. I have 3 types hotkeyed usually (EMP, Laser, Regular), and sometimes an electric. I keep a regular shotgun at ready, and I've experimented with the various launchers (in some cases the massive "splatter" damage is useful for obliterating many shields in a large group but I don't find myself using them too regularly).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:25:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 26, 2007, 06:21:54 AM

(but a free respec is coming along any day now I hear).

I thougt the respec was going to be for Strength, Body and Mind only because of the changes they made to the way they work.  If it's abilities that'll be cool, but I can't really see me changing anything other than losing the 3rd level of lightning and the second level of Motor Assist.  I need to take some screenshots of my new armor set (and to show how unnoticable my new chat window colors are).

I'm loving the chainguns too, but that 2nd tier of ammo is expensive.  Before, even with buying a ton of the first tier ammo, I always had money coming in, but with the improved stuff it feels like I'm barely breaking even.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »

You're right about the respec. Guess those points I put in Motor Assist will mock me for eternity. puke- I guess had it confused with City of Heroes style respecs.  crybaby (there you can't change your power "set" selections but you can re-do your choices within them and the # of enhancement slots).

One simple video setting adjustment (I think viewing distance - I turned it down just a little bit to see if it would improve performance) let me see the sky. Hallelujah!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:09:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 26, 2007, 04:07:31 PM

One simple video setting adjustment (I think viewing distance - I turned it down just a little bit to see if it would improve performance) let me see the sky. Hallelujah!

The sky, it does exist! You don't live in a closed box anymore! biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »

I've rarely had the opportunity to see any fourth-tier folks in action. Saw what I assumed was a Spy "polymorphing" into a disguise, like so...

But what was funnier was when he tried to switch back to "normal," something was missing...  saywhat

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »

Trick I learned in New Player channel was (maybe it's buried in manual somewhere) Cntrl-U will remove the HUD interface for cleaner screenshots, like so...

"What? Go out with my mech buddy? Are you nuts!!??"

They aren't giving much hints as to what the upcoming PAUs (personal armored units) are like. I doubt they are just like the mechs. Perhaps there'll be something configurable so you can put all those weapons that drop like flies to use for something other than your stash.  drool

The Strider in "The Plains" zone is sort of a sequel to the Stalkers.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 05:46:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2007, 05:44:36 AM

But what was funnier was when he tried to switch back to "normal," something was missing...  saywhat

ROFL

Whoops. Just a slight bug.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 05:53:38 AM »

here's some I took the other day:

My best at making the chat window as unobtrusive as possible:

oooh... Stargate......

Hans feels odd:

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 01:27:14 AM »

Couple gameplay movies from Da Plains...

Click here to watch Tabula-Rasa-Juggernaut-battle
I don't see these too often in The Plains (though it's awash in Striders, esp. near the main base)

Click here to watch Tabula-Rasa-plains-game-footage
Chaos in the plains. I finally switched to windowed mode and it seems to have really improved my frame rate and frame rate consistency.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:34 AM »

Wanted to say thanks for posting these little vids.  Helps me get a feel for how the game plays in combat.

My wallet would say other words that are not so kind I think, but it stopped speaking to me about a month and a half ago.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 07:49:35 AM »

it's Pirate Santa!!! HAR HAR HAR!!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 05:08:53 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 31, 2007, 07:22:34 AM

Wanted to say thanks for posting these little vids.  Helps me get a feel for how the game plays in combat.
You're welcome. smile I enjoy sharing them -- I mean, it's no fun without at least a little bit of an audience.

Any of us can send you a link for the 3-day trial if you just want to dip a toe into the water -- it will also help balance out all the spambots playing as trial players.  mad icon_lol

And keep in mind I'm just a big dumb "shoot first ask questions" commando. Other classes will probably look more interesting in combat (injector guns, leech guns, polarity guns etc. are all things I can't use), and I've yet to get to see Rangers calling in reinforcements, Engineers building turrets and robot drones (I forgot the name exactly) etc., Guardians doing all their shield stuff etc. So I don't know that my videos give the full picture from the player perspective. smile

Last night I ended up really only having about 20 minutes play (had to work most of today). I just took up all the Logos quests I had in the Incline zone and had fun just trying to reach those areas. It was just right for the time I had, and I made about 1/4 a level. smile
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:35:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 10:16:54 AM »

It looks like it may scratch the itch, and I haven't played any MMO's for a couple of years so I imagine I can get at least a month or so of entertainment out of it.  More if people stick around I suspect.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »

I was on a fun, diverse (Commando, Ranger, Sapper) three-person team yesterday afternoon doing a couple instances in The Plains. Some glimpses of  Ranger stuff...

Carpet Bombing (note the colorful bombs dropping in from upper right -- though it's so fast in action you hardly see it).

Reinforcements (the weird "sheet" of Logos symbols he's forming actually calls in the Reinforcement, an temporary AI friendly troop of different types - medic, grenadier etc.).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »

I took Reinforcements but I keep forgetting to use it  icon_redface  Unfortunately I haven't had alot of time to play lately so I'm languishing at level 20 still.

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »

Here are a few shots of my Ranger and Commando. I am only lvl 15 but have been away over xmas so not played for about a week. Not sure which one i prefer yet but both are pretty good to play. Unfortunately i seem to be the only Euro player on GT or even OO so not done much in the way of guild or group stuff not that there is a shortage of stuff to do solo.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

I was battling bots this afternoon - unbelievably exasperating.  mad However, the "Duplicator Bots" do give you the opportunity to battle... yourself.  saywhat The enemy clone of you even goes so far as to keep switching weapons the same way you do.  icon_cool

"Sorry, clone, you might have the same everything, but you don't fight like me."  nod

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »

Jude Blackjach in his current Purple Haze configuration...

I just wish he didn't have to wear what appears to be orange pajamas with Lego patterns on them under his armor pieces.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:13:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 07:24:18 AM »

Got on a pretty fun team doing the Fluxite Mines instance in the Mires area; first time I played with a couple of 4th tier (Level 30+) characters. I got to see Reanimation (which reanimates one dead Bane as a slightly nerfed Ally) at work. The first time you see it, I guarantee you'll start firing at the reanimated corpse.  ;D The only visually distinguishing feature is this sort of video-grid will sort of animate up the length of the former Bane troop's body periodically, I guess to remind you it's friendly.  icon_mrgreen

Couple screenshots:

Paper Planes is a level 30 Spy, and he's using its Blade skill. Reanimated corpse at upper left.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:27:08 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »

wow the screen is really taken up with names isn't it? Anyway to minimize them and put them in the top corner or something?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 02, 2008, 10:34:14 AM

wow the screen is really taken up with names isn't it? Anyway to minimize them and put them in the top corner or something?

he's cutting out parts of the screen so they look more cluttered than they really are, but as of right now the only things I know you can do with the UI is have it up or take it all down.  My one pic shows what the normal UI looks like, and you can change your options to show/not show names of NPC's/PC's/Etc without having your crosshairs on them.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »

I like knowing teammate's names and health/armor status at a glance right on top of their character model (I find that more useful in combat than having to constantly shift my eyes' attention to the squad meters in the lower left), but yeah in combat that can be cluttered.

Under Gameplay options, you can set just about every type name imaginable (for teammates, NPCs, other players, enemies etc.) to make it as neat as you want via simple checkboxes (including, you can choose not to list anyone's title, just the clan name, just the awarded Title name etc.). NPCs typically don't have info pop up on them unless you hover your mouse cursor on top of them. I've got most of my squadmate options set to keep people's names/meters on them all the time.

Also I have to play at 1024X768, so the HUD looks more cramped than it is for most players who play at higher resolutions than me. And yeah I crop a lot of my screenshots rather than post huge files here if I can help it.

I turn off the UI when I can but you can't really play the game effectively in that mode.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:09:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

I popped back to Praveus to get a logos i missed and came across this bloke, obviously hard as nails with no armor needed.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

Here is a pic of my lvl 23 Sapper in The Plains.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »

A brief episode of the new Soap Opera: As The Tabula Rasa Turns

Oh no!

His heart is broken!

He can't go on! But there's a problem...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »

yuk yuk........cute.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 06:09:26 AM »

GAH! I had to resort to an hour of base defense grinding to make it the final way to 30. And then, I find out propellant guns aren't sold in Plateau and the only one I had as a drop was a level 37 EMP  disgust Yeah yeah military surplus, I was too dang tired to look.

Anyway, scatterbombs sort of looks like you're skipping rocks with a few hand grenades, a modest distance and can knock targets down. Should be a good bowling ball attack for me. smile Haven't tried Tectonic Strike but put put points in it. The signature ability requires Vortex logos that I'll work on this weekend.

While I was working on it, saw an Engineer going nuts with a couple different types of turrets. Here's a couple of the more common ones:

My impression is with higher pump levels you get different turret types perhaps. They put out quite a stream of fire.

Also saw engies with various bots floating around them -- the only problem is you'll probably mistake them for enemy bots quite often.  icon_confused

If you don't want to have to wear out your right wrist/fingers clicking like a maniac, then Engineer seems the way to go.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:17:33 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: