http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa beta  (Read 46742 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 02, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »

And so it ends, not with a bang, but a server-less wimper...

Dismissed! The final moments of Tabula Rasa
http://www.massively.com/2009/03/01/dismissed-the-final-moments-of-tabula-rasa/
Despite any glimmer of hope from fans that the game could somehow be saved, NCsoft's Tabula Rasa closed down last night in a truly epic display of community and developer involvement.

It's not often that we get to see the last second of an MMO's life, so it's important that we showcase those videos depicting the final moments.
The article has lots of links to various YouTube videos of the final moments, so be sure to scroll down in the article to view those.

It's a little anticlimactic, imho. For Asheron's Call 2, Turbine at least (as I remember from some news coverage) had a sort of "final sunset" in the game, and then they shut the servers off at that point.

Myself, I never could quite get back into the game even though for a precious month or two, I was a very enthusiastic fan (and hell, I bought the Collector's Edition and raved about its huge printed manual afterall). But, in the end I decided I'd rather have fun playing something -- Age of Conan -- that for all its launch fiasco, and bashing it has taken, looks like it's going to actually survive and stick around, than put in a little more sad time into something a publisher basically abandoned.

I think to some extent the game simply (from what we've all read) cost way too much to develop to ever have a prayer of surviving. If it had been a relatively modest-cost game to develop and they had limited it to just maybe 3-4 servers to start, well, who knows. I had my fun, and I'll have some memories of it, just like I do of Hellgate: London and Auto Assault. Frankly, my computer room is becoming stocked with way too many dead MMOs/MMO-wannabes.

So remember, MMO publishers, if I'm a big player of your MMO, you are so DOOOMMMED!  icon_razz

So a fond farewell to some of my own characters...

I'll miss the team instances in the game too. It was refreshing to play an MMO where the fixation on healer/tank etc. wasn't quite so cut and dried.

If only the game had been as cool as its character models...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:35:41 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »

I could've sworn that with AC2, they were doing the final event and the servers blew up for some reason, and then they just turned it off instead of trying again.

Anybody experience the final minutes? Did the humans win? Or did they just nuke the planet like they suggested they'd do so?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 02, 2009, 01:35:37 PM

I could've sworn that with AC2, they were doing the final event and the servers blew up for some reason, and then they just turned it off instead of trying again.

Anybody experience the final minutes? Did the humans win? Or did they just nuke the planet like they suggested they'd do so?

I again totally forgot about it, but from the event description is sounded like the Bane were mounting an overwhelming assault and the main goal was going to be taking as many of them as posible before humanity was wiped out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 02, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »

RIP Tabula Rasa.  You had some good ideas.  Ranged combat was the best of any mmorpg I've played, and the bane base assaults and defenses were fun, for awhile.  Character clones were a great idea...one I fear will be lost to most future mmorpg developers.   
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 02, 2009, 11:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 02, 2009, 06:07:58 PM

RIP Tabula Rasa.  You had some good ideas.  Ranged combat was the best of any mmorpg I've played, and the bane base assaults and defenses were fun, for awhile.  Character clones were a great idea...one I fear will be lost to most future mmorpg developers.   

Cloning was a great idea - problem is is that now you never had to go through the low levels again, so now there's fewer people grouping at the lower levels, and your time spent on a subscription leveling isn't there either.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 03, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »

NCSoft itself, "didn't get the memo" advertising wise, judging from the "Play Tabula Rasa for FREE!" ad here: (it's a job listings page for City of Heroes' dev studio):
http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=NCSOFT&cws=1&act=search&WebPage=JSRCH&WebVersion=0&location=5&keywords=&updatedWithin=-1&submit.x=25&submit.y=11

I had a blast with the ambush stuff. I mean - in most games if you run out of quests, you just grind away endlessly. At least, with the base assaults it was something I could have fun doing in between questing. Even in PvE, it was about as fun-insane as anything I ever did while playing the PvP Planetside.

I don't really see anything else like this on the horizon. I guess maybe the ground portions of Star Trek Online might end up remotely similar in terms of laser blasting away, but we'll have to wait and see.

I've mentioned Global Agenda here, though it's strictly PvP. Still, it's the only MMO-ish game I've seen that has a lot of TR's look and sci-fi techno weapons and mechs etc. I think I might go ahead and start us a thread on it, even though I'm no more convinced it'll succeed on the market. Stay tuned.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:42:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 03, 2009, 02:37:08 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 03, 2009, 01:36:22 AM

I don't really see anything else like this on the horizon. I guess maybe the ground portions of Star Trek Online might end up remotely similar in terms of laser blasting away, but we'll have to wait and see.

the videos from the Stargate MMO reminded me of TR, so it could end up being similar.

Because I can,
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:49 AM »

This MMO seems very much like TR:

http://www.globalagendagame.com/Media_Videos.html

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »

a video from the final fight.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 04, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »

I've mentioned Global Agenda repeatedly here but it has no quests, it's very PvP focused (there's a brief mention in an interview of some PvE stuff but I think it's basically missions-with-bots), and it seems a lot more like a tightly focused Planetside mixed with a squad-vs.-squad shooter, more than TR. It's not an mmorpg by any stretch of the imagination.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »

And you thought we were out of reasons to dig up the Tabula Rasa thread again... icon_eek

Richard Garriott blasts NCsoft with $24 million lawsuit
http://www.massively.com/2009/05/06/richard-garriott-blasts-ncsoft-with-24-million-lawsuit/
According to Richard's side of the story, it goes like this: Richard & co form Destination Games, and are bought out by NCsoft in exchange for some very hefty stock options. After Tabula Rasa launches, Richard gets tapped for a space flight he signed up for some years prior. After talking to NCsoft higher-ups, he is approved for, and goes on, extended leave to take his space flight. During this time, he continues doing PR for Tabula Rasa, including Operation Immortality. Flight (and PR stunt) successful, Richard touches down to Earth, goes into quarantine in Russia, and NCsoft calls him to drop the hammer - while he's stuck in Russia, decontaminating. No choice, no warning, nothing. "So long, and thanks for all the Bane."

According to the documents, this is where the fraud comes in to play. They apparently terminated him and yet classified him as a voluntary termination - in other words "he quit." This means that all the stock options he had either had to be cashed in (at a significant loss in a craptastic market) within 90 days from his date of departure, or it was gone.

To add insult to injury, the "open letter" that was purported to be from Richard Garriott to the loyal fans of Tabula Rasa? He claims it was written by NCsoft - not him. So, NCsoft - according to the court documents - terminates Garriott, sends the Destination Games team packing, shuts down TR, authors a letter they say is from Garriott to the community, then falsifies his termination paperwork stating that he left voluntarily - and was not terminated.
Not really sure how they prove some of this stuff, unless they confiscate every computer NCSoft owns.  icon_confused I guess if the termination letter had a time-stamp from when he was still in quarantine  saywhat in Russia, that might prove one of his accusations.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:48:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »

To suggest that Garriot's letter to the fans was a complete fake alone is madness, much less everything else.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

in Soviet Russia NCSoft fires you!

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:29 AM »

Try Earthrise instead. Somewhat similar, damned nice lookin on the graphics, and already in beta.

http://www.play-earthrise.com/index.php

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 04, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

this made me LOL when it came up under my Quick Picks.  and the frequently bought together section is even more humorous.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2009, 12:52:48 PM »

Ha, yeah, I think one Best Buy in my area probably still has a couple lonely copies of TR on the shelf. I knew one that still sold Gods & Heroes pre-order boxes almost a year after it was canceled.  icon_razz

I still think TR Collector's Edition had one of the nicest game manuals I've ever seen (128 glossy pages, with lots of information, and plenty of nice sketches and artwork).

Rest in peace, Tabula Rasa...  tear

Playing
PC
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »

I actually miss TR.  The combat was fun, the classes were cool, they had cloning!  I'm just getting started in Aion, and man, that game would really benefit from the cloning concept during the class specialization split.  I wasn't wild about the lore of TR, but the combat and pve was a lot of fun.  I wish there were more sci fi mmo options out there that let us melt alien faces.     
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »

I'd like to try Earthrise and Global Agenda at some point. It seems those are more PVP-focused, though Global Agenda looks to have a meatier PvE game than I originally thought.

I have some nice memories of TR, even if I did cancel long before its demise. I can't help thinking that maybe that whole late complete re-do of the game during its development squandered so much money and resources (even if I quite enjoyed the result) that they couldn't add as much content as it needed to survive.

Or, I dunno, maybe it just needed to have wings in it, than everyone would've loved it.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 05, 2009, 04:02:07 PM

Or, I dunno, maybe it just needed to have wings in it, than everyone would've loved it.  icon_razz

Breast size sliders seem help to. Then add armor that barely covers the private parts and its a recipe for success.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 30, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 08, 2009, 12:44:48 PM

And you thought we were out of reasons to dig up the Tabula Rasa thread again... icon_eek

Richard Garriott blasts NCsoft with $24 million lawsuit
http://www.massively.com/2009/05/06/richard-garriott-blasts-ncsoft-with-24-million-lawsuit/
According to Richard's side of the story, it goes like this: Richard & co form Destination Games, and are bought out by NCsoft in exchange for some very hefty stock options. After Tabula Rasa launches, Richard gets tapped for a space flight he signed up for some years prior. After talking to NCsoft higher-ups, he is approved for, and goes on, extended leave to take his space flight. During this time, he continues doing PR for Tabula Rasa, including Operation Immortality. Flight (and PR stunt) successful, Richard touches down to Earth, goes into quarantine in Russia, and NCsoft calls him to drop the hammer - while he's stuck in Russia, decontaminating. No choice, no warning, nothing. "So long, and thanks for all the Bane."

According to the documents, this is where the fraud comes in to play. They apparently terminated him and yet classified him as a voluntary termination - in other words "he quit." This means that all the stock options he had either had to be cashed in (at a significant loss in a craptastic market) within 90 days from his date of departure, or it was gone.

To add insult to injury, the "open letter" that was purported to be from Richard Garriott to the loyal fans of Tabula Rasa? He claims it was written by NCsoft - not him. So, NCsoft - according to the court documents - terminates Garriott, sends the Destination Games team packing, shuts down TR, authors a letter they say is from Garriott to the community, then falsifies his termination paperwork stating that he left voluntarily - and was not terminated.
Not really sure how they prove some of this stuff, unless they confiscate every computer NCSoft owns.  icon_confused I guess if the termination letter had a time-stamp from when he was still in quarantine  saywhat in Russia, that might prove one of his accusations.

and Garriot wins 28 million dollars!  copies of Tabula Rasa for everyone!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 30, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

Interesting. Here's the Austin-Statesman coverage mentioned in the Korean paper's article:

In court, Richard Garriott says NCsoft's de facto firing cost him millions
http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/in-court-richard-garriott-says-ncsofts-de-facto-826620.html

Garriott wins $28 million jury award in NCsoft suit
http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/garriott-wins-28-million-jury-award-in-ncsoft-831054.html?cxtype=rss_business
NCsoft's action, Garriott claimed, cost him millions of dollars because he was forced to quickly sell his options for more than 400,000 shares of the company's stock while the stock market was severely depressed. Under Garriott's agreement with NCsoft, he would have had up to 10 years to exercise the options if he were to be fired.
I have to say, from earlier stuff I read, the amount of money spent developing and then basically "re-doing" (when the early "anime style" seemed too weird) Tabula Rasa was over-the-top for a game that was more than likely going to only have Niche success.

I had lots of fun with it but there was no realistic way it was going to draw enough subscribers to ever make back that amount of development cost.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

I bet he can finance his next game now!

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2010, 11:30:45 PM

I bet he can finance his next game now!

Nah, he paid 30 million for his space trip so after this winning he is still in the hole 2 million.  Besides why spend his own when there are other suckers devlopers out there willing to hire him.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »

and Garriot wins the appeal!

Fish & Richardson Secures $32 Million Appellate Win
For Video Game Legend Richard Garriott

NEW ORLEANS The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday affirmed a judgment of almost $32 million in favor of computer gaming pioneer Richard Garriott in a breach of contract case against South Korea-based NCsoft Corp.

Mr. Garriott was represented on appeal and at trial by a team of attorneys from Fish & Richardson P.C., led by Stephen E. Fox, Tommy Jacks, Kelly D. Hine, and David B. Conrad.

In Richard Garriott v. NCsoft Corp., No. 10-50939, a three-judge panel from the 5th Circuit upheld the trial court's judgment of nearly $32 million, which includes a jury award of $28 million plus interest and attorney fees.

The 5th Circuit ruling says "it would be unjust to allow NCsoft to sit back during trial, observe Garriott's litigation strategy, and then demand a new trial on damages when it dislikes the verdict."

A legend in the video game industry, Mr. Garriott was among the first to develop and market role-playing and massively multi-player online (MMO) games for the PC. NCsoft acquired Mr. Garriott's company, Destination Games, in 2001.

As part of the acquisition, Mr. Garriott received stock options valid through May 30, 2011. The options were to remain in place in the event of his termination, but would expire within 90 days if he left the company voluntarily.

Mr. Garriott took a pre-approved leave of absence from NCsoft in 2008 to travel to the International Space Station aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft. During the post-flight quarantine, NCsoft informed Mr. Garriott that his time with the company was over.

NCsoft, however, later designated Mr. Garriott's termination as voluntary, which forced him to sell his stock options more than two years early, costing him millions of dollars.

On July 29, 2010, a jury in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas in Austin found that NCsoft breached its stock option agreement with Mr. Garriott and awarded him $28 million in damages. The case was the largest labor & employment verdict in Texas in 2010.

"NCSoft schemed to avoid its obligations to Richard at the trial court and on appeal, and neither the jury nor the 5th Circuit bought any of it," says Mr. Fox, lead counsel for Mr. Garriott. "Contracts have consequences, and as the Court of Appeals explained, the trial court is not a trial run. This has been a long fight and we are very pleased with the Court's decision."

Fish & Richardson is a global law firm providing strategic counseling and litigation services to innovative clients who seek to protect and maximize the value of their intellectual property (IP). With more than 375 attorneys and technology specialists practicing IP strategy and counseling, IP litigation, and business litigation, Fish is known for its superior technical expertise. Fish has been named top patent litigation firm in the country for seven straight years, a premier IP firm for America's biggest companies, and an elite top tier law practice. For more information, visit www.fr.com or follow @fishrichardson on Twitter.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »

I was so worried he might not be ok financially anymore.  Roll Eyes

I ask the question of Lord mucky-muck..........."What have you done for me lately"?

Enjoy your win your majesty.............maybe you can book passage on the first manned flight to Mars............After being in a frozen state for 100 years.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »

Knowing how Garriott spends his money, imho he's far more likely to use $28 million to buy a gold plated toilet and bathtub, with mink carpeting on the floor, than he is to use the money to get back into game development.  smirk

Playing
PC
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »

I think he should devote his newfound resources to miniaturization.  Instead of pretending to be an astronaut, he can shrink himself down into a tiny ship and explore things that really matter, like the inside of a walnut, or journey to the center of a Cadbury Egg.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 26, 2011, 09:01:19 PM

I think he should devote his newfound resources to miniaturization.  Instead of pretending to be an astronaut, he can shrink himself down into a tiny ship and explore things that really matter, like the inside of a walnut, or journey to the center of a Cadbury Egg.

I've been to paradise but I've never been to (the center of a cadbury egg).  icon_razz icon_razz
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 13, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »

It Speaks!

Garriott: what went wrong with Tabula Rasa
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-12-garriott-what-went-wrong-with-tabula-rasa
"When we first started [Tabula Rasa]," Garriott recalled, "we had just signed on with this Korean company that had by far the greatest MMO success in the world with Lineage. Lineage was 10-times more successful than any US product at that time. We thought if we're going to be great anywhere in the world, it would sure be great to be successful in Asia.

"We started the game by bringing on a lot of staff by our Asian partner, and we decided to create a game that we believed could be popular in Asia. And we spent the first couple of years trying to create a game that had Asian style and Asian influence to make sure that we could be popular in Asia. But we kept getting feedback - accurate feedback I believe - from our Korean counterparts that said, 'You know what, when you guys try to do Asian pagodas or Asian armour or weapons, it never feels domestic, it always feels like a foreigner making stuff for us.'

"The way it was phrased to us was, 'Look, imagine we were going to do a European castle: instead of making the stone walls nice and straight, we'd make them sort of like an inflatable castle, slightly curved, like a marshmallow castle. We might not notice that it doesn't look like a good castle, but you would immediately notice that it was cartoony versus strong and powerful.'

"After two years of trying we eventually abandoned the idea of trying to create a global intellectual property and decided to turn back on something we ourselves would make for ourselves.

"Whenever you start a game that is two years out of position, you're basically already up a creek, if you know what I mean."

"But what it meant," he added, "was that we were then two years out of position. And whenever you start a game that is two years out of position, you're basically already up a creek, if you know what I mean. Because what the company is not going to do is forgive the two years and forgive the millions of dollars that have already been spent. You basically are two years late and what's taking you so long - let's get the game out.

"So Tabula Rasa started its two-year late restart under exceptionally unusual pressures and with understandable corporate discontent, which made it very difficult to finish."
I never quite understood why it took something like 2 years and millions of dev dollars to realize "Hey, maybe asking a U.S. dev team to work on an mmorpg full of tech-Samurai characters for the mass-Asia market doesn't make a whole lot of sense?"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:25:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: