http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa beta  (Read 46674 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »

You know, I think TR would have been so much more successful had it been the kind of 4 player co-op game with a campaign.  Sort of like Hellgate, or even Left 4 Dead in a way.  Just make it a more focused experience with a lot of instanced content like Diablo/Guild Wars.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »

Interesting - they're offering a "severance package" for current subscribers:
http://www.massively.com/2008/11/24/the-daily-grind-should-mmo-companies-offer-severance-packages/
As an attempt at goodwill - or more likely retaining at least some of the departing Tabula Rasa player-base - they've offered a 'severance package' of sorts to the players. This package includes two months of City of Heroes/City of Villains and two free months of Aion among other things.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »

Who Killed Tabula Rasa?
http://www.massivegamer.com/gamelist.php?game=183&section=features&view=46

I think the point about Richard Garriott's name being used too much to hype the game makes sense. I couldn't tell you the real name (as opposed to forum nickname) of anyone involved with LOTRO, or WoW, or City of Heroes. You might recognize the names of people designated as spokespersons for those games but you don't see the games hyped as "John Doe's World of Warcraft" or "Jeffrey Steefel's Lord of the Rings Online." "Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa" means nothing more to the average game buyer than "Joe Blow's Tabula Rasa."  icon_razz

To me another critical mistake -- and a bizarre decision by NCSoft given the lively official forums for most of its other MMOs -- was not setting up an official forum for TR. They tried to update people via the official site, and I guess some dev types tried to make appearances at fan site forums, but I really don't think you can pass up a chance to communicate directly with subscribers. I assume it was some cost-cutting move, but it made no sense to me - esp. after they stole CuppaJo (April Burba) away from the City of Heroes forums and then effectively seemed to give her little to do (but a fancy title). She woulda been ideal to run a forum for the game (albeit maybe she wanted to move on from doing that sort of thing).

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2008, 04:44:52 PM »

Richard Garriott this and Richard Garriott that. Yeah, I think him putting his name in front of the title didn't help at all, as Ultima was only well known for all the older gamers who've played his games for years (or played Ultima Online, which had absolutely nothing to do with TR).

And yes, not having official forums is a TERRIBLE idea. Vanguard did it to start, and hey look, they're next to dead. Only reason they're still around IMHO is because Sony bought them up and put them into their Station Access pass thingy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 26, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »

While I'm not willing to give up on the idea of something sci-fi working in an avatar-type MMORPG (as opposed to Eve Online and the like), I just think the basic mmorpg combat mechanics are more acceptable to players in a fantasy-type environment than they are with guns, lasers, plasma cannons and what not.

I know lots of folks that played TR and quite enjoyed it but there wasn't enough there to warrant sticking around more than a month or 2. Like some others here, I thought LOTRO at launch didn't quite have enough zones for my tastes. In the last year or so they've added Evindem, Farochel, Tal Bruinen, and now Eregion and Moria, among other things. If TR could've added a fraction of that much in new areas, I think it would've helped people retain interest.

I'm not privy to their software tools. Maybe Turbine's world builder tools are easier/cheaper to work with, or maybe TR was never going to be able to add much content after launch.

I also think to some extent this "Holy Grail" of "let's build an mmorpg that draws in casual gamers" is bunk. I mean, you need gamers that are going to really dig into your game and remain loyal to it, and be willing to chuck $180 a year (roughly) at it. I don't know that most "casual gamers" are looking for that sort of "gaming relationship" or that sort of financial commitment to a game.

I give WoW credit for having tremendously broad appeal. I mean, I've known people who were hardcore FPS players who had no intention of ever trying an mmorpg fall hard for WoW. So I think WoW has done a fine job of appealing to a wide cross section of gamers, but I don't know that I'd say it roped in "casual" gamers -- and the latter seemed to be what TR desperately wanted to do.

I really need to stop navel gazing like this.  icon_razz

fwiw, I do think TR was cool in many ways (esp. the character models), and I wished the player base had been there enough for it to see major content updates and new zones. I don't think it was in any way as messed up or "split personality" as Hellgate: London was, and I had more fun with it than Auto Assault (even if it's meeting the same fate as those) or the rapidly fading Dungeon Runners.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:07:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 26, 2008, 04:44:52 PM

Richard Garriott this and Richard Garriott that. Yeah, I think him putting his name in front of the title didn't help at all, as Ultima was only well known for all the older gamers who've played his games for years (or played Ultima Online, which had absolutely nothing to do with TR).

And yes, not having official forums is a TERRIBLE idea. Vanguard did it to start, and hey look, they're next to dead. Only reason they're still around IMHO is because Sony bought them up and put them into their Station Access pass thingy.

I do agree, Mythic seem to take this stance as well. As has been said it seems to good a chance to pass up - the ability to control the dialogue between fans and devs. Otherwise the masses control the dialogue.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »

I think it can work if there are enough rabid fans to get a fairly professionally run fan forum going. RelicNews, which is strictly volunteer fans, but is often mistaken as an Official company-run forum and site, is a good example although that's devoted to everything Relic - not just one game. I don't think TR by itself was going to inspire that sort of thing though. I tried a lot of fly-by-night forums for the game but never really found a good place for information.

Back in about 1999-2001 I ran an EZBoard forum for the Diablo-wannabe Darkstone. I eventually got it to the point where it became a "go to" place for information, and a couple members of Delphine's dev team posted here and there. It was exhausting to run though (I had a little help for my site's news page but I had to keep the board clean by myself).

If you're breathless over the reasons for cancellation, Massively did a bit of Q&A followup with NCSoft:
http://www.massively.com/2008/12/01/ncsoft-clarifies-its-rationale-for-closing-tabula-rasa/
It's with a PR director, and is fairly wish-washy.

I think maybe the game's best chance of success would've been doing it Guild Wars style (free-to-play; sell a lot of stand-alone expansions), but they never were able to add much in the way of meaty content (aside from one early update that added some cool instances).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:18:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2008, 03:55:05 AM »

Massively's compiling a Honoring Tabula Rasa through Screenshots gallery that's kinda fuN:
http://www.massively.com/2008/12/15/honoring-tabula-rasa-through-screenshots/

Playing
PC
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »

Was in Fry's two weeks ago and they had 2 collectors editions on the shelf; price $4.99.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 18, 2008, 03:15:17 AM »

Ten Ton Hammer tracked down NetDevil's (its Auto Assault being NCSoft's previously canceled MMO) Scott Brown to get his thoughts on Tabula Rasa's impending demise:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/51644
Scott Brown: So basically what happens is the game doesnít meet expectations and people start trying to figure out how the game is going to make a profit. In the case of Auto Assault, NCsoft opted to just close the game versus running it with a smaller team. I donít have any insight into the situation, but it looks like they did the same sort of thing with Tabula Rasa.

On the other hand, with the original Jumpgate we just scaled our team back until it was profitable. I really donít understand why youíd ever shut off a game, in my opinion.

Ten Ton Hammer: Why would a company turn off a game rather than just scaling back the team?

Scott: I donít know the answer to that. I can tell you that it was certainly a disagreement between us and them.

I would never turn off a game. I would do what I would need to do to make the game support itself, but why turn it off? Especially when there are people that love your game?

Thereís a site Ė and I donít know how many people have seen it Ė itís called biomek.org, and itís an old Auto Assault site/forum. There are a bunch of people that go on there and post about how they liked Auto Assault and enjoyed playing it. There arenít a ton of people, but the point is that there is a community out there that enjoyed playing the game. I still get emails from people asking me to turn the game back on. And I wish I could, but itís not my IP.

I think communities form, but they donít necessarily have to be the size of the World of Warcraft to be a success. Really, I would never turn this stuff off.
I don't usually copy 'n' paste something that long. It's just, they're no longer working with NCSoft so he has sort of carte blanche to speak freely, which is sort of refreshing, juicy even. All you got when AA got unplugged was Corporate Speak.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »

fwiw, TR's going to go free about a month earlier than originally planned (as in, it's FREE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW, they say), and an upcoming deployment finally adds the player-controlled PAUs and mechs ballyhooed almost a year ago:
http://www.massively.com/2008/12/19/tabula-rasas-paus-and-mechs-coming-in-next-patch/

Official PAU/Mech word:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_121908.html

Sigh. Talk about too little, too late. Actually, they look awesome. They just took too dang long to implement them.  tear

I might check it out. I'd whined for the PAUs for months, and then gave up on 'em.

Anyway, if you're interested in returning for free, or starting from scratch, info's here:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/tabula_rasa_now_with_more_free.html

If you never had a TR account, you need a credit card to set one up but they assure you won't be charged from here until the game's demise (end of February 2009). So, if you wanted to try it, now's your chance. About 2 months of free play's not a bad deal, and that's about how long most folks who tried it retained interest in the game anyway.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:49:59 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »

I'm re-installing right now, figure I'll give it one last hurrah.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

I know I don't play it anymore, but it really ticks me off that this game is going bye bye for good.  Can't someone pick it up and keep it running on a shoestring budget?  Isn't that what happened to Vanguard?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 21, 2008, 12:42:03 PM

I know I don't play it anymore, but it really ticks me off that this game is going bye bye for good.  Can't someone pick it up and keep it running on a shoestring budget?  Isn't that what happened to Vanguard?

Vanguard has a pretty large playerbase, between 10.000 and 20.000 confirmed by developers, and is part of the sony package. This game dont have the same advantages I'm afraid

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 21, 2008, 12:53:57 PM

Vanguard has a pretty large playerbase, between 10.000 and 20.000 confirmed by developers, and is part of the sony package. This game dont have the same advantages I'm afraid

I wouldn't exactly use 'large' as a word describing the playerbase here. That said - the reason Vanguard (and SWG and Matrix Online) stay around is because they're under the Sony '$30 or so to play them all' plan.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 21, 2008, 05:11:48 PM »

Agreed I think WWiiO has around 10K and that is viewed as a tiny player base.

Tals

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 21, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 21, 2008, 05:11:48 PM

Tals

WWiiO is still around?  I may have to give it a try one of these days.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »

I suspect a lot of the older MMO games have their servers on dynamic server farms that automatically dedicate more or less resources to it as needed, thus these older games can be run for dirt cheap considering they're just piggybacking on server farms used for everything else.

I think TR was a victim of many things.  They started out with that weird hippie space war thing, then switched to a more Halo style space war, but never really took it a step farther.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 21, 2008, 01:43:16 PM

Quote from: Razgon on December 21, 2008, 12:53:57 PM

I wouldn't exactly use 'large' as a word describing the playerbase here. That said - the reason Vanguard (and SWG and Matrix Online) stay around is because they're under the Sony '$30 or so to play them all' plan.

I agree - I meant comparatively to a game like Tabula Rasa, and, unfortunately Chronicles of SPellborn which probably have 500 subscribers all in all...

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 22, 2008, 12:13:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 21, 2008, 06:33:04 PM

Quote from: Tals on December 21, 2008, 05:11:48 PM

Tals

WWiiO is still around?  I may have to give it a try one of these days.

Yep still around, graphics wise I don't think its changed much since you may remember it but they've added quite a lot more to the game. Still very much a low budget effort though

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2008, 02:53:37 AM »

so, I fired up TR earlier today... wow, the place was deserted.  every control point that I saw was under Bane control, and with no one else playing it's impossible to take them back.  apparently there was a respec at some point too as all my skills and attributes were reset.

maybe since it's near the end they'll up the XP you get so people can see more of the game before it's gone.  there is a new Earth zone, but while I can find the wormhole to it I cannot figure out how to activate it.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:51 AM »

If ya'll recall, Sigil Games was the developer of Vanguard and co-published it with SOE. I'm oversimplifying the history a bit, but basically Sigil was going to go out of business, and SOE stepped in to buy "key assets" and keep the game running, and invested enough in it to help markedly improve what was by most accounts a pretty broken game when it launched.

SOE takes all sorts of criticism, but I think they've been more patient and willing than about anyone else out there to keep MMOs with fairly modest playerbases alive and kicking (I don't think SW: Galaxies, The Matrix Online and Planetside are exactly mobbed with players these days but they're all still breathing). Of course some would argue they screwed up numerous games so that they never became massive successes, but I haven't played those enough to know myself.  icon_neutral

TR is a different story - its dev is part of the NCSoft stable of studios already, and NCSoft itself as publisher has decided to pull the plug on the game. So there's no chance of NCSoft itself riding in as the cavalry since they've already given it a "no confidence" vote.

I don't think SOE would have any interest in it as the game is probably too similar to Planetside (albeit PS has no quests and is more an FPS Gone Large). And I can't really see any other publisher being interested in the game, even if NCSoft wanted to sell the assets cheap. It's probably telling that 2008 only saw 3 of what people would consider "major" MMO launches (AoC, Warhammer and Pirates of the Burning Sea). And only Warhammer among those would probably be considered thriving.

This is probably not a good time to try to sell a dying MMO. Companies are laying off people, closing studios, and unplugging games (MMO and otherwise). tear
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:08:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

And it's over.  Spotted on kotaku that stores dumped their stocks of TR in the waste bins.

I keep thinking TR would have done a whole lot better with even more focus on the military aspect, make it even more action RPG.  They could treat it more as a Diablo/Hellgate style game that's heavily co-op based.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »

I logged in last night for a bit and did some base defense at the Hydro Base on the Pegasus server.  I didn't see a single soul  icon_frown  I'm thinking they probably could take it down now and no one would notice, but I'm keeping it installed just to see if they do a big blow out bash at the end.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 05, 2009, 10:00:18 AM

And it's over.  Spotted on kotaku that stores dumped their stocks of TR in the waste bins.

I keep thinking TR would have done a whole lot better with even more focus on the military aspect, make it even more action RPG.  They could treat it more as a Diablo/Hellgate style game that's heavily co-op based.
I'd agree, except there are too many games like that you can play for free. You just can't expect people to pay $15 a month for something they'd probably have more fun with in something designed ground-up for action (Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike etc.). Planetside soldiers on, but I don't venture its servers are clogged with players either now.

That's another reason I think their decision not to set up an official forum was a mistake. For a lot of gamers, official forums are communcations lifelines - even when the communciation is the game's impending doom, it helps spread the word.

I figure I'll wait until TR's finale month (February) and then give it a return-whirl. I'm really just interested in trying out the new mech/PAU stuff, whether it lives up to the long-ago hype or not - though I'm not clear what the pre-requisites are to get those.

I think part of the reason the servers remain mostly empty is some misunderstanding about the game's status. I was bringing up the free-to-play status with some LOTRO kinmates and all they had heard was "the game had been canceled"; I think a lot of folks think the game's already been unplugged. Although I played the game for several months after launch, I don't think so far I've received any sort of NCSoft e-mail notice to return and enjoy the game free. Maybe they just need to get the word out better.

The funniest capper to all this is Garriott saying at some recent games panel discussion, that he wants to stay in gaming afterall. Oops. I bet NCSoft wasn't amused to hear that. icon_lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:24:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 05, 2009, 04:21:48 PM

Although I played the game for several months after launch, I don't think so far I've received any sort of NCSoft e-mail notice to return and enjoy the game free. Maybe they just need to get the word out better.

As a former subscriber as well (as well as a current subscriber of another NCSoft game - City of Heroes), I know I haven't gotten any notice for it. And I do get NCSoft's e-mails from time to time about other things.

On a side note - anybody else find it funny that the title of this post never got past "Tabula Rasa beta"?  icon_wink

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »

Heh, yeah, but I think we're all just too lazy to change the topic. I mean, the L4D thread will always be the "L4D - Can My PC Play it" thread.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:31:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 05, 2009, 10:00:18 AM

Here's the link:
http://kotaku.com/5123159/where-bad-games-go-to-die-rip-tabula-rasa

It's sad (not to mention an awful use of landfill space), although from past experience with Auto Assault and Hellgate: London, a lot of stores will probably still have those boxes on their shelves months after the game "goes dark." A lot of places just aren't very diligent about clearing canceled/to-be-canceled games inventory.

The Collector's Edition manual was pretty awesome as far as manuals go today (I think I posted my photos of it in somewhere in the early pages of this thread). I'd probably sift through the garbage and try to save some of them.  icon_lol If the game were as good and deep as its collector's edition manual... it wouldn't have mattered.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:31:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »

Massively.com, which has been a surprisingly strong TR proponent, had a different take on the Kotaku Trash Bin photos:
http://www.massively.com/2009/01/05/tabula-rasa-burial-ground-behind-eb-games/
In this Kotaku post, we see two reader-submitted photos of said dumpster, and it really makes me sad to think about where those games could have gone instead. I wonder if they first tried to give them away for free, or perhaps the EB Games upper management told them that it's not even worth the shelf space, considering their PC shelf space is shrinking every day anyway. Would you have taken a free copy of Tabula Rasa, just to play it out completely free these last six weeks?
Although I'm inclined to say I would've put the stack by the door with a flyer explaining, "Hey, enjoy this for free for 6 weeks," I would assume that's probably against store policy. But you'd think that might at least build some sort of good will with customers - rather than just filling up trash bins.

Playing
PC
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »

I posted before that Fry's in Alpharetta Ga had two collectors edition on the shelf tagged at 4.99; was there maybe a week ago and they were still there.  Heck I though about buying one just for the coin and dog tags.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »

Be sure to go dumpster diving by your favorite games store first.  smirk

To me, the interesting point-to-ponder with doomed games like this and Auto Assault, is whether there's anything that would've made the games either hits, or enabled them to retain enough of a player-base for NCSoft to have continued running the server, or if they were both just doomed, period.

To me, TR wasn't horribly broken at launch. Well, the crafting was half-baked, but I don't know if broken was the word. I just don't know that 3-6 months in beta would've helped the game keep its launch player base. It didn't have an AoC-size player base at launch to begin with. I would've liked more to do later on, but that goes for just about any MMO.

With Auto Assault (which I played in beta, and later after its release), I kind of knew the game was doomed. The avatar-mode in "towns" was ugly and seemed like an afterthought. The add-on parts for vehicles seemed too subtle and not eye-catching enough. The idea of focusing quests around the fact that hey, "you've got a car!" (many fans complained about the lack of races, stunt driving etc.), never seemed to enter the Netdevil thought process - instead you'd drive around trying to squash 16 gooey bugs, over and over again. icon_confused

With the still soldiering-on AoC, I could see that if they could've afforded to spend 6-9-12 months bug fixing, polishing crafting, building up the PvP to live up to the hype, building up mid and high level content, etc., etc., the game could've been amazing at launch and maybe would've retained its massive launch player- base (which seemed to even make Blizzard sit up and take notice, though probably no longer than a *blink*), instead of now having to scratch and claw to build back up its reputation.

Going back to TR, I just vaguely remember its earlier incarnation as some bizarre Samurai-anime style mix of medeival and Sci-Fi. Garriott, if I recall, insisted they gut that version and came up with the TR we know. Who's to say now whether they would've been better off with the bizarre Samurai-anime incarnation, or just canceling the project and trying something different.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »

TenTonHammer pointed out a Jan. 23 announcement that the remaining 4 Tabula Rasa servers will get merged into one. Alt-itis players will probably lost some inventory and extra characters unless they pare down a bit. I guess the goal is to at least get the few remaining players together, which makes sense.

http://www.playtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_012309.html
All 4 servers have a different database where all your character progress and data is stored. We will be merging those databases, allowing you to play on one single server with other Tabula Rasa players from around the world.
They don't have much time left (Feb. 28 is the game's last day), so I guess they must be doing this soonTM.

I haven't really felt an itch to return, as it turned out. I like the feeling of progress in MMOs (probably why I don't tend to stick with a character once it reaches the level cap, even if there's end level content to do), so putting in a few weeks on a dying game didn't end up appealing much to me.

But I might try to play some in late Feburary. It might be interesting to be there on the day they pull the plug. I remember seeing some interesting screenshots from Asheron Call 2's and Auto Assault's last days.

Ten Ton Hammer's TR Autopsy:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/62059

Personally, I don't think the MMO market wants or rewards innovation, "fresh" environments or much new. For the most part, what's succeeding are the best-polished "comfort food" MMOs. Probably the worse the world economy gets, the more publishers will want to stay in the established "lanes" and not take a chance on spending a lot of development money on something trying to break the mould. Which isn't to say TR was an ideal "mould breaker."  In the end, maybe it was just moldy. icon_razz

I did stumble onto some drawings the other day of those infuriating (but to some extent fun) symbol puzzles in TR. I'll actually kind of miss that "Captain Crunch decoder ring" sensation...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:09:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »

I was reading about an upcoming actiony, Unreal 3-engined MMO called Global Agenda, and thought, "Wow, this is like a snazzier Tabula Rasa!" But, it appears to be strictly PvP, and it's more like perhaps Planetside (which survives but doesn't exactly seem overwhelmed with subscribers today):

Global Agenda
http://www.globalagendagame.com/Media_Videos.html

A lot of its weapons, shields, mechs and robots remind me of TR. Along with the overly excited devs who think the world is going to beat a cash path to their door when the game releases.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:25:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 08, 2009, 03:57:46 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 07, 2009, 04:22:56 PM

I was reading about an upcoming actiony, Unreal 3-engined MMO called Global Agenda, and thought, "Wow, this is like a snazzier Tabula Rasa!" But, it appears to be strictly PvP, and it's more like perhaps Planetside (which survives but doesn't exactly seem overwhelmed with subscribers today):

Global Agenda
http://www.globalagendagame.com/Media_Videos.html

A lot of its weapons, shields, mechs and robots remind me of TR. Along with the overly excited devs who think the world is going to beat a cash path to their door when the game releases.  Roll Eyes

Wow, nice, that actually looked pretty sweet. Loved that mech. Hopefully they can be used by players.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Sigh. Talk about too little too late - they updated TR, including finally adding "various mechs" (which presumably are what the ballyhooed Personal Armored Units evolved into):
http://eu.playtr.com/en/news_article/deployment_164_patchnotes_known_issues_february_2009_live
# Added various mechs: AFS Mech, Orson, Angel, Vulcan, and Grendel.
# AFS Mech

* Ranger Themed - 1 weapon 3 abilities

# Orson

* Sapper Themed - 1 weapon 4 abilities

# Angel

* Biotech Themed - 1 weapon 4 abilities

# Vulcan

* Command Themed - 1 weapon 4 abilities

# Grendel

* Slow but deadly up close

# Any class can drive any Mech but must have Logos to use abilities
# Accessible only on Edmund and limited to use on Edmund
# Entry to a Mech only occurs on Mech Pads
# The hologram above the Mech pad matchs the Mech it spawns
# Holograms turn off when Mech is in use, then reappear when a mech becomes available again
# All have a time limit on use
# Right click game effect icon to exit
Just in time for its demise in about 17 days.  disgust

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »

to re-install or not re-install.....

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »

They're in the midst of a final server merge in preparation for a final "sunset" event for the North American and European servers (separately, so as to be at reasonable playtime hours for each region).

http://www.playtr.com/news/latest_news/server_merge_update.html
We are currently planning to capture game data effective Monday, 2/23/09 starting at 12:01 AM CST for the planned server merge. The merge is planned to include the Pegasus, Orion, and Cassiopeia servers. The European server, Centarus, will not be included in the server merge, allowing us to host a separate 'sunset' event for that server that is more suited to European time zones.

The consolidated US server, known as Hydra, will contain all characters merged under the guidelines we published in January. These guidelines are posted at http://www.playtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_012309.html.

Please note that due to the large amount of data processing and transfer involved, it may take up to 48 hours before the Hydra server is active after Monday's data capture. This means that character's will appear to "time warp" back to Monday at 12:01 AM on the new server. We do not recommend doing anything irreversible to your character after Monday's data capture, as we are not absolutely confirming the server merge at this time. We will release more details, as well as a final confirmation of the server merge, early next week.
Just seems a little weird to do a server merge so close to the game getting unplugged.

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »

Its so they only have to do one 'end of the world' event instead of however many servers they have running. Fewer staff = fewer GM people to run these kind of things.

Of course, I expect the server to explode from all the people who sign in just so they can say that they saw the end of TR (which never got out of beta according to the thread title Tongue ).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

damn, I almost forgot about this.  time to re-download for one last blast!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »

I just meant, effectively they seem to be unplugging the game for 48 hours on the last week you can play it. But maybe they added a couple extra days to make up for it.

I don't think I'll re-enlist. I had some good times with it, really, but I think being there when they unplug it would just depress me.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: