http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa beta  (Read 48654 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »

Ok been playing a few hours now. Lv 11 Soldier. I've been running quests the whole time. No grinding. Do instances solo as I come upon them as well.

I'm running the game with max video settings at 1680x1050...

Nothing cutting edge about the graphics but thats ok. MMO's don't live and die on their graphic prowess. Pasable to be sure.

My problem so far with this game isn't bugs or performance..It's the seemingly one dimensional game play. I'm a MMO lover to the max.
When I start a new MMO I have to really discipline myself not to sit at the computer for hours on end....Kids appreciate it when dinner's on the table and not still in the fridge..

I just don't get that feeling with TR. I don't mind it at all, its just not grabbing me like I want a MMO to.
I can't see this being a 1-2 year obsession on my PC. If nothing comes out between now and level cap I'll probably play it till then.
But as it is its just a time-filler till a "real" MMO comes out..../em ducks for the incoming projectiles.
Just joking, its a real MMO, just not a great one IMO.

But........Lets give them some room and time to make it better. I hope for their sake that they can pump out patches and updates on a fairly regular basis...

Ok, back to mowing down an endless stream of bug like aliens..............and the occasional spider.

Arclight Gillman.......Pegasus............Out.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »

That's kind of the point -- they meant for it to be a game you could play a half hour, an hour and have fun with it (most of the Collector's Edition "behind the scenes" stuff is devoted to saying that). A few us are really addicted in spite of it being designed that way, but for me that probably didn't kick in until I moved to Palisades and there was greater variety to do, and more massive enemies to battle. Now I'm not saying they intentionally are trying to make it "non addictive," saywhat, just maybe it doesn't force me to grind away for hours and hours to make any progress. smile

If you're looking for another WoW, or massive raids that take hours and hours and hours, then this really probably won't grab you (which is OK). I've gone out of my way to not describe this as some sort of WoW killer, and I don't think it's going to appeal to most fantasy mmorpg fans very long. I liked City of Heroes but it generally took me months and months of work to get my characters into 30s and 40s (here it's probably weeks even if you don't play all night).

Areas do get more interesting, and the Instances often provide a more interesting experience than regular quests, and once you hit 15, then 30, and you have skillsets to try out, I think it's a more interesting experience.

If you're seeking a more traditional but fresh from a storyline standpoint type MMO, I'd give LOTORO a try. I didn't stick with WoW past the free 1st month but I was in LOTORO for several months and enjoyed it (and I never read any of Tolkien's books). I just found it too much work to keep going through the content with new characters. I still recommend it to folks. smile
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:24:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »

No I'm not looking for long, time consuming, drawn out raiding. I hate that in WoW.
I guess I just don't feel "attached" to my character in TR. For me that is important in a MMO.
Im going to keep playing and see where it leads.

I played Lotro..Actually in the latter Beta testing. While I love Tolkein and ALL his books...
Lotro didn't grab me long term either.

Historically the ones that I invested the most time into for different reasons were: DAoC..loved it...SWG..loved it, at first,
CoH...loved it long time.....Didn't like EQ, EQ-2.

I didn't make my purchase of TR based on your reviews Blackjack... icon_lol
You just, shall we say, HELPED push me that way.........

Tis all good my friend.

Now pay attention to clan chat when I'm talking to ya and we'll get along famously.... nod

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »

I've played a fair few mmo's and i know where you are coming from.

None of the MMO's have grabbed me long time ever but TR while fun is one of the few i play for a bit then don't log in for a week or 2 then play a bit and repeat. I played WoW to a lvl 60 then stopped got the add on and never liked it when i went back to it. EQ2 i have a lvl 70 got the last add on and have oncve again struggled to play again. COH/COV i only managed low lvl toons but it is something i would like to play more but just doesn't seem to grab me.

Now on TR i have a lvl 17 and a clone at 15. When i play it i love it, but i don't miss it when i stop or don't log in for a day or 2 unlike WoW or EQ2 when i was levelling up and would look forward to playing an hour or 2 most nights. For me no MMO has ever held my attention when i reach the level cap and i then struggle to come back when stuff gets added and i think TR will have the same problem but even more so when it only has a lvl 50 cap that isn't hard to reach.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

I see myself developing a lot of level 30ish characters. In my case I enjoy the combat enough (kind of like my CoX experience in that regard) not to mind terribly running through the same quest lines, whether from scratch or back up from one of my clones.

The real carrot for me to reach 40 is to be ready for the PAUs (Personal Armored Units) when they're announced. I am somewhat skeptical whether they can create enough 35-50 content to keep things interesting at that level.

The game's only been out a couple months. I hope a year from now we can look back on it and remember when PAUs (40) and Command Control (50) were introduced and say "ew all that new 40-50 content was awesome." I hope they'll find the time and money to sprinkle a few new quests and instances among existing zones some day so you can have some more feelings of fresh questing there. I know City of Heroes had a ton more content by the time its first year was over, so I'm just hoping NCSoft will be that aggressive introducing new content in TR too.

What I found perplexing about the 1.4 patch notes is they're talking about making the game "easier." Huh? Most veterans (I'm not quite there yet) carve up the game like a pumpkin and complain about boredom in the 30s and 40s. I don't think making the game easier is necessarily a good thing at this juncture. But there's only so much you can do with AI in these things. I'm not into PVP at all so that's not a solution for me in the upper levels of MMOs.

I try hard not to be a Defensive Fan Boy. I think if someone says what they Want or Need in an MMO, I or most TR fans could tell them realistically whether TR would do anything for them or not. I'm a fan, but not blindly so. icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »

IGN has a dev diary about the new Fault Lever (for level 50 players) instance, which I think is part of patch 1.4 that's on the test server:
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/847/847077p1.html

Also, if you're dying for charcoal black plaint dye, they have a limited test server thing where if you put in a total of 2 hours on the test server, you'll get some free black paint dyes automatically (which you can use on the live servers).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »

The 1.4 patch on test was updated, with various bug fixes and stability improvement:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/patch_notes_public_test/patch_notes_125_test_server.html

Right now the splash page takes you to a news item (can't find the link right now) where they talk about doing smaller updates rather than one quarterly big roll-up update. Hopefully, once 1.4 goes live and has the kinks worked out, they can start doing that.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »

You mentioned players in their 30's are finding the game easy..I have yet to find it hard at any level.

It is so straight forward I almost want to call it a multi-player FPS.
Certainly feels more like that than a MMORPG...

Trying to find the "addictive" quality to TR, I just dont think its there. Fun on a very, very, casual basis.(play every now and then)
Trouble with me is MMO's have always dominated my playtime for ages.
This has yet to do that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »

well, I let my account expire and decided to give Pirates a shot.  After this big 1.4 comes out I may re-up, depending on my Pirates experience.

Also, in Pirates they were smart and made the chat window give you a little chime when you get sent a tell  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »

Driver Heaven has an interesting "describe a unique monster for Tabula Rasa contest." Grand prize is an ATI 3870 X2 video card:
http://www.driverheaven.net/competitions/amdX2-3870/index.php

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »

Fired up TR early this morning and it started downloading patch 1.4.6

Over 2 gigs? I think my game is going screwy on me.

Well, after it finished downloading 2 gigs worth of a patch, it wont let me in the game. It just says it doesn't recoginzed my log in information.

Went to the NCsoft site and tried to enter my account info there. It worked fine.

So, is anyone else having trouble, or have I been hacked in some way?

Ok, they're having patch day troubles, this from NC support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the PlayNC Game Support Team.

Our Development team is aware of the issue you are reporting and all the servers are offline as we are working on the server maintenance. We hope to have this resolved soon and greatly apologize for any inconvenience.You can also visit our official website "http://www.rgtr.com/news/server_news/index.html" for more updates on it.

If you have any further questions, please let us know and we will gladly assist you.

Regards,

The PlayNC Game Support Team.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:02:06 PM by Arclight » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »

Aye, they do do regular daily maintenance each morning, thanks for the heads up about the patch going live.
Maintenance is being extended on this morning as we apply the 1.4 Patch to the servers. We apologize for the extended downtime.
Exciting news though I do think this is where the lack of one official forum to see if other players are having problems becomes a drawback.

***Note: They are resetting *ALL* attribute AND skill points on all characters, because the patch changes so many things. You might want to read the patch notes thoroughly before re-divvying the points out. Health/HP should be a lot more important now.

The final patch notes/known issues for 1.4 be here:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/patch_notes/patch_notes_and_known_issues_01292008.html
The notes would probably take multiple posts to paste here. Creature changes should really impact basic gameplay, so here be those (I underlined a few things that seem to make enemies tougher or do more damage):
Creatures:

Boss creatures are now immune to fear effects.

All boss and large bane creatures are no longer susceptible to confusion-type abilities such as Hack and Traitor.

Add fear Immunity to all boss variants that recently received confusion immunity.

Overseer Skeev will now have a unique appearance.

Flaregashers will now do significantly more damage in close combat, but their melee attack will no longer be completely armor piercing.

Flaregashers can now spit fireballs while pursuing their target.

Infected foreans will now do significantly more damage with their lightning attacks.

Infected foreans will now heal more effectively.

Hunters are no longer immune to electric damage, but are now immune to sonic damage.

The Hunter net ability is now considered electric damage.

Hunters will now use their net ability more often.

Hunter names now vary based on level range.

The hunter net ability is now considered electric damage. {previously physical}
Hunters will now use their net ability more often.

Hunters have learned how to use their energy shields to absorb a portion of incoming damage, instantly convert it into electricity and reflect it back to the attacker. They are unable to do so with virulent based attacks however.

Nitroglazers are now immune to ice based attacks.

Juggernaughts founds in mission instances will be more difficult than their battlefield map counterparts.

Juggernaughts have learned how to use their cannons to generate a massive shockwave.

Xanx will now fully regain their health from feasting on their fallen brethren.

Xanx names in instances will now scale with level.

Linkers and Howlers can no longer be killed purely by EMP damage. There was an issue causing them not to be flagged as biological creatures, which has now been corrected.

There are now less Striders terrorizing the plains of Howling Maw.

Reduced Miasma cold debuff.

Reduced Miasma hitpoints.

Reduced Miasma phase-in AoE dps.

There are now more Warnet Spawns on Howling Maw to facilitate completion of the Howling Maw Targets of Opportunity.

There are now more Filchers on Howling Maw to facilitate completion of the Howling Maw Targets of Opportunity.

There are now more Infected Miasma on Howling Maw to facilitate completion of the Howling Maw Targets of Opportunity.

Increased the overall spawn amounts in the southern portion of Howling Maw.

Increased the overall spawn scale in Magma Caverns.

Thrax Grenadiers now share the same resistances and vulnerabilities as all of their Thrax brethren.

The Brann of the Phanin Research Center have received appropriate resistances and vulnerabilities.

The Warden Bot Bosses of the Ruins of Tampeii will now hit like bosses.

The Brann of the Ruins of Tampeii have received appropriate resistances and vulnerabilities.

Strider Overseer Gorko on Torden Plains is no longer bright red.

Destroyed objects in Devilís Den should no longer respawn.

Penumbra operatives in Magma Caverns will now display correctly as instanced enemies in the target window.
Despite all that, the patch claims to have rebalanced the game to be a little easier at all levels.  icon_confused So we'll see.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:26:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »

Although it's not a huge content update, it mentions several new missions, including 16 in the Marshes (I haven't played there yet, I think it's for mid to upper 30s?):
855 missions have had their rewards re-evaluated and replaced with new items. Items previously obtained through these missions will not be changed, but will no longer be available to future players.

38 Instances now have a Portable Waypoint at the beginning of them, making it easier for players with Portable Waypoints to go back to the beginning of the instance.

Added 16 new missions to Marshes.

New mission: The Infesus Garrison Directive

New mission: Infiltrate Infesus Garrison

New mission: Rock and Rumble

New mission: Supply Pass

New mission: Tough Translating

New mission: Scientific Salvage

New mission: Taking the Pills

New mission: Arming the Brann

New mission: Incursion Investigation

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »

I kind of think this game made its biggest mistake in the art department.  There just isn't enough to customize your character with.  Seems like there is even less than say, Mass Effect, which I'm currently playing.  They need to add more looks to distinguish folks.  I'd also say that there isn't enough class diversity.  I hardly see anyone grouping at lower levels, and that doesn't make for an immersive environment.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »

You whiz through the lower levels so quickly, there's not much reason to team up other than the instances. I tend to describe it as the flipside of LOTORO, which is so team-focused that people who prefer to solo generally get turned off after a while. I'm still looking for a game that's somewhere between those types of extremes.

One teeny tiny change in 1.4 lets you disable helmet visuals so you can show off your character's face. It sounds like nothing, but it makes all the difference in terms of visual differences between player characters, like so...

While I like some of the helmets, many look like silly baseball caps, and I'd agree that too many people are wearing too many of the same helms (probably because all the quests give the same ones).

The new hybrid classes everyone seems to agree have truly hideous faces, so you may want to keep the helmet on if you decided to start one of those (there are now quests that unlock hybrid classes, though they've done little to inform players of that).

My main tips post-patch:
* Make sure to re-distribute *both* your skills *and* attribute points. You might want to sort of gradually redistribute stuff as you test the skills (many of which are revamped/redone) to see how effective they are.

* Again, don't forget to redistribute attribute points. I had 75 (!) undistributed, and played that way without realizing it, complaining about how the patch messed everything up so much. I think a lot of people were doing that because they didn't have the sen to prompt the players in-game that "HEY! Redistribute your points." There's no warning or tutorial in game prompting you about it, and if you didn't read the patch notes, you'd have no idea that had happened.

* Armor does seem to peel away faster now, and health holds up longer. I'm still inclined to panic when my armor drops, but there's a bit more reason to heal and use healing skills now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:40:16 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »

Injector's approaching 30. Now that the Mires lag is fixed (basically they seem to have reduced the number of lag-inducting protector robot drones, and masses of Bane in general there), I've discovered a whole, whole lot of missions there that my Grenadier missed out on.

I'm probably going to go with Biotechnician [think Diablo II's Necromancer in some ways] at 30 (which includes clone [a clone of yourself fighting alongside], corpse reanimation, corpse explosion, reanimation wave etc.

One of the stranger ones involved tagging along with a trained  (usually enemy but friendly) hound creature to "sniff out" a traitor.

In chat, people seemed to suggest that Biotech armor was now way more better than Hazmat (because of its armor regen rate adjustments and it always gave a modest squad health regen boost), though I still tend to wear a mix of things (Motor Assist, Hazmat and Biotech).

There was some grumbling that Mind (attribute) isn't worth much because it doesn't boost Logos attack powers unless they do direct-damage. If they're more of a debuff type damage (disease/contagion etc.), then the theory goes that Mind doesn't boost it. Something like lightning (which I do use quite a bit -- the upper pump version adds sonic damage, and arcs to multiple targets) would get a boost though. That was chat though, I don't have "empirical" data.  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:22:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:47 PM »

I'm feeling the pull of an MMO again.  I'm a casual MMO'er at best, looking for a recap of this game in a nutshell.

Points to consider:

Soloability
Community Aspect
Gameplay for casual MMO'ers

Thanks

"Goonies never say die"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »

I would say TR delivers on points 1 (though many instances require or benefit from teammates, the vast majority of content is quite soloable, or you can sort of fight alongside the many AI AFS) and 3 (just imho).

Then again, we've had some philosphical discussions here (deep, man! smile) about whether attempting to be purposely "not addictive" (in theory meaning you can hop onto TR or say, Flagship's Mythos, for half an hour and feel you progressed and had fun) means that a game is more friendly to casual gamers, or is the fact that you don't feel the need to play until 3 a.m. every night mean that the game itself just isn't fun (i.e., additivve) enough? I'm OK with it, but if one is scraping the couch cushions for change every night, can one justify $15 a month for something that's not as maddeningly addictive as some other MMOs? confused

If by community (point 2) you mean fan sites, and message boards, then yes. If you mean some sense of community within the game itself, I don't really know. I am trying to get onto a larger guild (have to wait 7 days after leaving one). Most folks use the surplus store (auction house) so the Trading Channel is largely deserted. The NewPlayer channel is largely helpful and is maybe the lone chat channel where I feel an in-game sense of community. If/when crafting gets revamped into something more useful (making buffs that have a 40% or whatever chance of destroying the item I'm trying to modify isn't really my idea of fun crafting  disgust) I think that'll boost the in-game feeling of community if there's more useful stuff to share.

Hope that helps. I like the game, but if they're going to make it one where you can level so fast, they really have got to keep delivering L30-L50 content or impatient gamers will get tired of upper level grinding-groups (I find it ironic a game that's supposed to eliminate the need for grinding has so many people forming said grinding groups) and move on to other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:28:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »

Solo friendly?  Yeah, like most MMO's...There is stuff for you to do solo, actually I haven't run into anything you can't solo yet. It's the same principle as other games. Attempt an instance too early and it will be tough. Go back at appropriate level and you can do it.

The non-instance stuff....Plays like a FPS. You can pick up quests by the boat-load...but the whole concept of the game reminds me so much of a FPS online that I think that's my contention with it.
The seemingly random spawning of the Bane at first is fun...But when it happens all the time then the randomness of it fades. You can expect to hear the familiar sound of a ship hovering, lowering down more Bane for you to shoot where ever you go.

The community so far for me is very casual. Mostly just normal general chat banter. I have grouped once since I started playing. Most people I see are just running around doing their own thing.
Granted I've only got to lv 20.

So in a nut-shell Tabula Rasa is a very easy game to get into. Refreshing at first, but the game play gets old much faster than other MMO's I've played. I'm still in and out of the game because nothing else interests me at the moment. I just ended a 3 year stint in WoW...Feels good to be free from that grip.

As the game stands now I couldn't see myself playing much more than a month or two.

Give it a go. It might be your cuppa tea.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2008, 02:12:24 PM »

I finally did the new Hybrid quest stuff in the Mires, which unlocks the new races. Basically these are just options for ugly alien heads on your character models and a few slightly different attributes starting points (honestly, I think what players wanted was something truly visually different, and maybe at least a few unique quests for a new race to do).

It seems like the contact "unlocks" at level 30, and is a contact near the waypoint in Bann LZ in the southern, middle portion of the Mires maps. It's a series of quests, nothing too fancy. There's one where you have to purposely get killed by a Bane Caretaker, and the key seems to be to just take most of your armor off and then let a caretaker have their way with you.  Tongue

I'm still convinced that as much as devs think people "don't want the grind" in MMOs, they do. If you can just race through the level cap in one of these in 2-4 weeks, then chances are you'll be saying sayonara shortly after that (even if you work some clones up through the other classes). In a more typical MMO you might be lucky to get 5 levels in that amount of time. Heck in COH I couldn't get one level in that amount of play time in the Level 40s unless I resorted to various common exploits impatient players resorted to. I enjoy the game's combat enough to stick around even if I end up re-doing the content over and over (somewhat like Diablo stuff in that regard), but I don't really know if the game's "lack of grind" is good or bad for it in the long run.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »

Edged up to 31 last night. I tried a point in Corpse Explosion, and in Hormonicus (probably misspelling this  icon_confused), both Exobiologist skills.

*Corpse explosion basically sets a corpse on fire for a few seconds (I wish it didn't take so long to go off) and then provides Extreme splash explosion damage. It isn't gruesome at all though (there are no internal organs flying Tongue). I think it could be useful in base defense/assault situations when you have Bane crowds and corpses everywhere.

*Hormonicus (or is it Horticulturis?) actually grows a big green plant out of a corpse (you can't use this power unless you have a corpse to grow it from). It provides a health/power buff to nearby AFS, and a squadmate can actually "use" the plant to get a health boost. I don't think it's going to be all that useful though (we're always on the move in the game afterall). I would think base defense, maybe inside the fortress, might be its one use (it takes damage, so I don't think you can drop it in the middle of a base defense battlefield and expect it to be useful).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »

Ten Ton Hammer had a brief community Q&A with "Critters," who seems to have taken over "community management" chores from April Burba (CuppaJo at COH forums way back):
http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?p=206070

Quote from: NCSoft's Critters
Visual armor customizations
I think most players will agree, as you level through the game, itís really nice when you get options to look more and more impressive. Everyone knows the feeling when you start out as a newb, and you see your first level 50 - you can just tell that they put a lot of work into their character by the style of armor that they wear and the abilities that they use.

We plan to add more options for character customization in the future. At the moment, the armor sets are getting optimized (this should be in 1.5) to allow additional pieces to be added in the future.

Personal Amor Units will help in this area too. The PAU concept art hasnít been released yet, but I can tell you they are very grandiose in nature and will hopefully scare the hell out of the newbies when they see you.
A few other bits. They're looking into ways to dye the "secondary" portion of armor (generally, that seems to be "fixed" in color now, depending on what you got, and it's only the "main" color you can alter).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2008, 04:34:48 AM »

TR's "meh" sales get a brief mention in interview with NCSoft's president Chris Chung (near the end):
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30565.html

I'm puzzled as to what happened to April Burba (aka Cuppajo when she was the COH forum moderator), as she was replaced by "Critters" (who I seem to recall handled forum moderation for Auto Assault for a time) recently as community coordinator for TR with no explanation.

I think my time with TR might be nearing the end soon. As much as I like the game, the server is starting to feel more and more empty, and I am in the early mid 30s running into too many times where I've burned through all the missions I'm allowed to do (meaning I'm running into lots of NPCs with "broken" walkie-talkie icons), the instances require help I can't find (due to servers feeling empty at least in the level 30s), and I guess the game really is too much of a grind in the 30s simply because there isn't enough to do and enough alternate zones to go to. And like LOTORO, once I've got a couple 30s in this game (as I do now), the idea of working back through the same content over and over (even from my clones) isn't all that appealing.

My Exobiologist's at 33 with literally nothing non-instance to do, and I don't find grinding half a level of base defense/assault all that appealing.

I guess my disappointment is that the earlier areas like Palisades, Divide etc. seemed to do a better job of spreading massive numbers of quests over a wide level spread. In the 30s, it's just too easy to burn through the moderate amount of content and hit a dead level or two before you can "unlock" more NPCs for more stuff to do.

Plus, I've never really been able to play two of these things at the same time (I need to get going in Pirates soon). But I will probably stick it out until I get a new PC soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:38:24 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »

I'm out  of TR as of yesterday lock stock and barrel.

I fired LoTRo back up, only played beta, and It will more than fill the need till the next "This is the One" MMO comes out.

Ultra-high graphics with DX-10 enabled = Wowwie wow wowwie!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Have fun. smile When I was playing LOTORO, I liked it enough to mail a City of Heroes supergroup buddy (he was on dialup) my game discs so he could try the trial version without having to download gigabytes of data. smile He enjoyed it (and mailed back my discs promptly), but his older system/card had a lot of troubles displaying certain textures at a decent clip.

I still haven't found an MMO that solves the problem of making your second go round through a game a fresh experience. I played LOTORO several months but after a couple of characters reaching 40, I really couldn't bear the thought of trawling through the same content again. There the different races have some different, unique stuff early on, and some of their own storyline quests (I did like that), but it wasn't enough to keep me there. Same problem here, even with the clone options.

I'm not sure what would solve that for me. More truly branching quests and rewards? Races with their own completely unique series of quests? More areas meant for players at the same skill level, so with one character you do *this* zone at 30-40, and with your next character you do *that* zone at 30-40.

TR just needs "more." It needs more areas, more content, and crafting needs a total revamp. I'm not ready to yell "doooommmm" but it needs a lot more than what seems to be promised in the immediate future. Just imho.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:53:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »

I think my accounted ended last night.  I did enjoy the combat mechanics, but I think grouping was what did it in for me.  The ability to find a squad to join was nearly impossible.  So I spent most of my time soloing quests and instances. 
No fun playing an MMO solo 100% of the time!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »

I read a little update. CuppaJo is actually moving up to a game-development focused associate producer role, so that's why Critters (Amy), who handled message board related stuff for Auto Assault for a while, is now the community coordinator for TR:
http://tr.ncrage.com/news.php?extend.11

I'm still not really convinced not having official forums is a good idea. One of the things I liked about COH/COV, and LOTORO was how active actual devs/producers etc. were on the official boards. Without that, you tend to get limited to occasional one-way Web site updates and fan site interviews, and there's little actual interaction between the TR devs and the fans. I can understand that if something's as ravenously popular as WoW (you wouldn't want Blizz devs trying to converse with a few thousand people in a board thread) -- but TR isn't that popular, and I think more actual interaction with fans would've been helpful to the game.

Yes I agree, they put no effort into a searching-for-group function in TR. Why they didn't look to their own publisher's other games (COH/COV has very helpful searching/advertising-for-group functions, as does LOTORO -- sorry I only mention those they're the only MMOs I put any real time into smile) instead of basically just having people free-for-all shouting in an LFG channel, I'll never understand.  disgust

Even Dungeon Runners has a nice little matchmaking function (right clicking your health/mana bar provides some basic options), like so:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:34:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 19, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »

NCSoft cries "foul" and then seems to say "well, sure, maybe we will start laying off TR team members, but it's normal!"  saywhat

NCsoft: Tabula Rasa Report "Inflammatory"
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9184&Itemid=2
ďYes thereís a possibility that there could be downsizing with the TR team. Some of that is due to the cyclical nature of game development (product is out and the team downsizes). Some is due to the fact that the product could have done a little better. But there is a lot going on with the TR team. They are working on more updates. We are planning a Japan launch later in the year. And the company is planning on investing millions into the product, so itís not going away and in fact we have plans to grow it.
It is true sales have been humdrum, and that most developers pare down from their huge launch teams after launch. But I can't help thinking this will bring whispers of "Auto Assault Part II" from the MMO public.  paranoid If they're going to speed up the update process for TR and have updates more often (which they've talked about doing), I don't see how paring down the staff will help that.

One of the reasons NCSoft seems pleased as punch with Dungeon Runners is that the dev team is so small (apparently about 12-13 people at this point), there's very little overhead. Of course DR's a free download, and boxed retail sales aren't something they have to worry about. It wouldn't surprise most people if they start focusing more on Guild Wars and Dungeon Runners type games instead of continuing to do $50 retail box games with $15 a month fees.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:36:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2008, 04:24:21 AM »

EurogamerTV has an exclusive video about some creature AI changes in patch 1.5...
http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=7437

But wait, TenTonHammer has the exact same video, slightly smaller. Hmm, perhaps not so exclusive afterall ...   Roll Eyes
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/27347

All I can say is, "Content Dammit! We the fading player base need that, not AI tweaks and "optimized armor resources."  disgust

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:39 PM »

Patch notes for 1.6 are out. Well, with no official forums, I'll post the massively.com item on it:
http://www.massively.com/2008/03/09/tabula-rasa-patch-notes-for-1-6-are-up/

I was hoping for more content (missions, maybe a new area etc.), but they seem fixated on increasing exp multiplier modifiers and other tricks to get you leveling faster. Which, for a game where you sometimes already level too fast for your own good, seems (just imho) to be a strange tact to take.

There was a Starr Long post a while back about the "state of the game":
http://www.rgtr.com/community/community_news/tabula_rasa_state_of_the_game.html

While it's supposed to assuage people that Everything's OK, and they're just paring down a basically bloated launch team to the lean'n'mean team you want for regular updates, I'm not really convinced. They've been yakking about PAUs and Control Points, and new missions where those things face a challenge, for a long time, and it just doesn't sound like they are anywhere near getting into the game.

Since I've returned to COH and feel pretty happy there, I can share my thoughts on the two games even if they're very different (and heck, they're both by the same publisher, I don't think NCSoft cares which one I play thumbsup)...

COH?
-I prefer the animations there compared to often clumsy ones in TR.
-If you have an older system (mine dates to 2004 although the video card is recent), COH seem far, far more foriving and you don't have to turn every detail down to get a playable game.
-Even the April 2004 launch COH to me had a far more polished interface, chat system, hotkey system etc. with less obsession with DOS command line stuff (though there's plenty of command line stuff you can do if you preer that) than TR has.
-Much more interesting variety in its powersets than TR's simplified skills sets.
-There's enough quantity and variety of zones, that two characters of the same level (say, 45) may have gotten there without laboriously doing the exact same missions and combing through the same zones (as TR basically requires). I wouldn't call COH non-linear per se, just you can have at least a little different experiences from one character to the next, which I like.
-I hate to generalize, but it just seems easier (at least on weekends) to form big pickup teams in COH and have a good time. You do run into the occasional nasty person, but after a couple weeks back it already feels almost like home again. smile

TR?
-I enjoy the base defense stuff, but I just can't be happy doing that all day.
-Many missions/quests in TR to me are quite interesting, imaginative and thoughtful. More so than in COH which has an obsession with clicky glowies, and escort missions.
-The zones to me are far, far more lively than in COH, for the most part, with lots of stuff going on, enemies moving all over the place, dropping in etc. My return trip to COH has taught me that static mobs that sit and wait like a bump on a log can be boring at times (some of the post-launch zones like Striga Isle were a tad more lively).

But in TR this is all watered down with way too many "kill 25-45-60 blotzkies" missions, imho, and way too many non-instance missions that require you to basically either wait in line (which is ridiculous) to shoot something you need, or to basically be willing to out-fight other players to reach something. I'm just not a big fan of that, esp. how often it comes up in TR.

====================
Those are just my babbledy thoughts since the thread's dead and it appears we've all pretty much moved on.

I'll probably deactivate my account shortly before my next billing period. Then if they deliver on the PAUs, command control points and put a little more content in (instead of obsessing over exp modifiers, and "monster tweaks"), then perhaps I'll float back. I think if I get a new PC down the road, I'll also have a much better experience in it.

I still have fondness for the game, I just can't help thinking that stripping their launch dev team to a lean team can't really result in some magical ability to add more content or get updates out the door faster.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »

Blackjack, the thread isn't dead - you just haven't posted enough in it as of late. biggrin

That said - yeah, I've moved on with the game for now. It was fun, but it definitely needed a group as otherwise it was just a grind that didn't have too much going for it (although base defense was hella-fun).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »

Which game has the "better" crafting system of the two?  Is crafting enjoyable/meaningful in either game?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:23 AM »

In my opinion neither one has crafting.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2008, 02:55:56 AM »

fwiw, I'm probably keeping my account active til maybe April 10 or so. I had been overconfident enough about the game to do 3-month billing and April 16 is the next bill date so I think I'll give myself til then. I think I mentioned that before, perhaps not so specifically.

I think in the end (and just imho as I always say), it's just strange to fixate on trying to make leveling faster in a game where people already seem to largely level Too Fast and lose interest in the game. They should be trying to give you more and more variety to do, more reasons to stay, not just trying to make you hyperactively uber level and make enemy AI "tweaks" and create a mostly meaningless cosmetic change (hybrids) that doesn't seem remotely close to what people think of when they think of having multiple races with distinct differences to play.

I don't understand why a game that was hyped as averting the "grindfest" has so many players looking for "grind teams" and complaining about "grinding and more grinding." That would seem right there to illustrate my point there isn't enough to do. What's there, when it isn't mindless hunts, is really cool stuff I enjoy doing. I just wanted more, and I don't really see much in the pipeline. icon_confused

Assuming I cancel around April 10, I will definitely type things along those lines into the "tell us why you're leaving" and "what would it take to make you play Tabula Rasa again" boxes, for all the good it will do.

While there are things about TR that I truly do miss in City of Heroes (esp. TR's missions that are more interesting than clicking glowies and escorting NPCs), returning to COH reminded me of just how kludgy the whole TR interface and chat system feels, and just how much generally more sociable the COH playerbase is. The former is something Garriott and company should've had in place before launch. The latter is just not something you can "program" into a game. smile

I didn't get any characters past 33, so I'm not sure I'd return when PAUs launch (40 minimum). And basically I had done the content available to me and would have to grind, grind grind to reach the point of having new missions to do.

In a way though, the game led me to Dungeon Runners when I felt like I'd reached a brick wall in TR. And that led me back to COH. So I can't really be mad about it. It's like getting a divorce, dating a couple other gals, and then realizing the one you broke up with is whom you belonged with all along.  icon_biggrin Plus, I guess NCSoft doesn't care cause all 3 of those games are under their umbrella.  smirk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:00:11 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2008, 07:06:41 PM »

For 1.7 they apparently plan to start re-tweaking certain classes. Today's feedback update has some details:
http://www.playtr.com/community/community_news/feedback_friday_3212008.html
You may question why Spy and Sniper are being addressed in 1.6 and 1.7. The Classes and Combat Team felt the Spy and Sniper classes were focused on TSR and Blades. Their abilities did not provide them with the tools they needed to play their class effectively. While they had huge damage numbers on their weapons, that was all they had.

Our goal now is to allow the player the option to use these newly tweaked abilities in addition to their main weapons to create a more interactive, well rounded combat dynamic. They will soon be better equipped to setup more affective shots, mitigate incoming damage, and escape otherwise certain death.
It seems like they'll be doing fairly major changes/additions, so it'll be interesting to see how these work out.

Swords are getting NerfedTM however, and you can just imagine all the screaming there'll be. Well, there are no official forums so there'll just be some random screaming in message boards across the cosmos. icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:31:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2008, 03:10:29 AM »

I went ahead and canceled my account tonight. In the feedback form, I basically told them I was disappointed with the lack of new content in the 30-50 range, and the lack of work on new zones to give people greater variety in things to do. I really think the relatively piddly changes they're making in the upcoming patch updates are nowhere near what the game needs to improve its retention rate.

They yak, yak, yak about PAUs (Personal Armored Units), and upcoming 40-50 content to make PAUs have challenging things to do, and then they lay off most of the launch team and spend a lot of time doing PR damage control claiming how much of a commitment they have to the game. Stop talking. Show me/show us. Otherwise, NCSoft/Destination Games, you are the Emperor With No Clothes.  disgust

That I was probably the biggest fan of the game here and given up should probably help illustrate about where the game's at.

To me it's a game that can wow you in a 1-week trial. It might even wow you for a month or two, as it did for me. But do you want to spend $180 a year on it? The game has some of the most truly interesting and entertaining MMO missions out there imho. It has cool ideas scattered throughout (cloning in particular). What it doesn't have is enough variety that you don't quickly get bored with all your characters having to do the same missions over and over. It doesn't really have enough end game content for the big majority to even want to reach there. And they keep dangling PAUs as this Holy Grail that's going to save the game, but nothing I read suggest that's anywhere near release.

And no, I don't buy this "well, WoW makes it so no MMO can succeed" lamenting. LOTORO is going quite strong. COH is well past the 4 year mark and while it'll never have a subscriber base that even makes a rain drop in WoW's subscriber base bond, COH is doing fine.  Hell, even DDO, which nobody seems to like, is still going strong.

I'm still concerned TR will end up in the Auto Assault dust heap and developers won't ever try something a little unconventional in MMO land again. I think as long as Garriott's involved, that won't happen. If he suddenly gets cold feet and wants to divert his attention to another game, then I think TR is doomed.

This has been Blackjackodamus, the Mad Profecizer of Doom.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »

fwiw, 6 month veterans rewards announced:

http://www.massively.com/2008/04/21/6-month-veteran-rewards-unveiled-for-tabula-rasa/
Dedicated players will be getting access to three dance emotes (YMCA, breakdancing, and ballet), as well as a handful of costume props. These props include a green beret, a pair of brass Knuckles and (no, we're not kidding) a General British mask.
The least they could do is replace the ridiculous "robot ostrich" bot that came with the collector's edition.  disgust icon_lol

I don't feel any burning desire to return to the game, except that now that I got a decent PC setup, I probably wouldn't have to run the game at such icky graphics settings and resolution. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »

The more I see on TR the lamer it appears. Sad.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:05 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 22, 2008, 02:21:06 AM

The more I see on TR the lamer it appears. Sad.

Like The Matrix Online, the game itself could've been very successful, but there were things that just were turnoffs for the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »

Eurogamer did a "re-review" of TR. They pretty much deem the game DOOOMMED.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133897&page=3

Even if you don't agree with it, it has some nice quotes, such as:
But then, that's Tabula Rasa in a nutshell - full of good stuff, but always with enough caveats to seriously annoy an appreciable number of players. Everything seems to come with a "but". There is PVP, but... There is crafting, but... The biggest "but" of all is that this is a game clearly designed with the dream of luring action gamers to a persistent world - but instead it was marketed and sold to MMO gamers, and has ended up disappointing them severely.
You'd think Garriott of all people would know you can't jury-rig in proper crafting, PVP, end game content, variety in "mid game" content, the ballyhooed PAUs and all that rot long after launch. By then, the people that care about those features have already abandoned the game (like me and everybody here, afik).

I saw a lot of these same problems in Auto Assault and Vanguard. If you launch an MMO saying "We're going to add all sorts of great stuff and flesh out the content, but we just gotta get our game out to get revenue first" you might as well just not do the game and save yourself the financial losses, disappointment and misery down the road. You really get one big chance at launch to make a splash, get it right and then grow from there.

Of course, I've seen Eurogamer review games (apparently using Alphas, Betas, or alpha-betas) that were weeks, even months from actual release. They once reviewed an online-only game weeks before it came out. Huh?  saywhat So maybe these "re-reviews" are a way for them to actually review an actually finished product from time to time. disgust So even though I agree with some of their pessimistic take, I take whatever Eurogamer says with a giant grain of salt.

I still think TR has some of the most interesting missions/quests I've experienced in MMOs, but I as I've babbled elsewhere, they seem to be doing everything but building on that one fresh aspect in their updates. Instead they're tweaking all matter of minutae, wasting time on things (Hybrids for one) that really bring nothing truly interesting or fun to the game.

I was reminded of TR because I got an e-mail from a guy in one of the two guilds I join. One quote from him:
With the emotional drain and disappointment Tabula Rasa gave me I'm not exactly sure what to do.
Roll Eyes About says it all (the guild found the lack of endgame content among other things disappointing and basically stopped playing).

I still find the idea of approving a "MMO for people who don't like MMOs" a financially baffling decision. Why not do "a shooter for people who don't like shooters" and maybe "an RTS for people who don't like RTSs." I think unless they give their "MMO for people who don't like MMOs" some tremendous depth and long term value and variety, then chances are most "people who don't like MMOs" aren't going to keep paying $15 a month for the privilege.

Wow I'm a genius. Someone hire me as an MMO company CEO. Our catchphrase will be, "We make MMOs for people who actually like MMOs!"  icon_biggrin

I'll shut up now. Just thought I'd babble for a while in our dead thread.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: