http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:02:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa beta  (Read 45263 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »

I ended up getting it. 

So far, I love it.  A lot.

The way character classes and skills are done is pretty cool.  Do you want to be generally good at a bunch of stuff or flat awesome at just certain things?  You have a limited amount of skill points to distribute, so choose wisely.  Personally, I have always loved that concept.  Anything that even remotely helps characters of the same class be different from one another, I am all for.  This system may actually accomplish that, we'll see.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2007, 08:20:34 PM »

How's the chat system these days? It was a real mess when I was in it. But looking at some latest screenshots they seem to have added some tabs and other UI tweaks (it just felt far too command-line-fixated for me, though I know "old school" players are content with that).

I was thinking I might ask for this for Xmas. By then I might be gone from LOTORO and be MMO-less, and the games devouring my time right now might've loosened their hooks a bit.  icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »

It sucks.  Well, in my opinion anyway.

So I just create my own tab and filter only what I want it to show me.  That way, I use it more as a "report screen" showing me the information I deem important.   I would still like to make it smaller though, which apparently is something that will eventually be patched in, but isn't here yet.  I have a more "general" screen tab I created as well, but normally don't display it unless I want to see the sheep type.

At least the filters are relatively well thought out.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »

Thanks - that sounds at least an adequate improvement to me. I liked COH's chat where you could configure multiple tabs, and then filter each tab to the type of info you want in it (LOTORO's is somewhat like that too).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2007, 01:35:44 AM »

For those of you looking for a bit more in terms of graphics and stuff...

Well, as I've said before, even though the game isn't cell-shaded, for some reason it reminds me of a cell-shaded game.  I would call the graphics (at least at the level I can run them with smooth gameplay) as a little above-average.  Certainly not crappy, but not anything that will make anyone ooo & ahhh either.

Note these are taken with one of those "snapshot" takers that I use for work, as the game's screenshot taker isn't working correctly, so the images may not be an accurate representation of how the game looks, but at least you can see the art style, beginning areas and such.

Here is my character.  Alexis Kys, based loosely off the Warhammer40K Ravenor Series character 'Patience Kys' - written by Dan Abnett.  (I'm not creative enough to come up with my own, so I basically steal all my characters from books).

Here is the starting area, a villiage of the Eloh, the alien race that are allied with us Humans.

Here is a picture of base camp where you will spend most of your time up to about level 6 or so.

Here is a picture of Alex holding a healing disc in the surrounding forest near the base camp.

Indigenous lifeforms are all over.  This is a Treeback, a big ass tree-elephant thing.  Pretty tame unless you fire your gun at them.

An example of Alex minding her own business when a Bane dropship appears and teleports some Thrax soldiers in along the road outside base camp.

In the caves near base camp with some other players.  We are getting ready to fight these cave creatures for a quest, and they are a true pain-in-the-butt to fight alone.

And last... me fighting a Thrax and a look at the standard interface.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:11:17 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Cool, thanks.

-The Treeback would make an awesome pet.  icon_cool

-Love the chat window caption.  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
depward

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »

Are a lot of people playing?  For whatever reason, I'm kinda interested in this...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »

dep:  In the grand scheme, I'd say no, but I guess it depends on your definition of a lot.  I believe there are 4 servers.  1 east coast, 2 west coast, and 1 european.  When I log in at night (east coast), it is usually rated at Very High.  The West coast servers bounce between Normal and High.  Euro is all over the place.

Each server has zones that duplicate themselves.  IE: Wilderness 1 thru Wilderness 9.  When you step on a teleporter, like in the main base camp, you can port to any zone # you want depending on how crowded you want your world to be with real players.  Wilderness 1 is usually packed.

That's about all I can tell you at this point.

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »

Is there cross server play?

What about cross level play?  Any way to team up with higher level players at least temporarily?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:08 PM »

I don't believe there is cross-server play, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  I think it functions like WoW as far as server autonomy or whatever it would be called.

I don't think there are restrictions to teaming, but again, I'm not sure.

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »

Garriott said in interviews players should be able to team up with level variations as wide as 5 or 10 levels without having problems earning experience (read that in a PC Gamer print interview recently). I don't know how the game handles sharing quests/missions you don't have though. In beta most players were racing around like drugged monkeys, and there was little interest in teaming formally (just informally for the base attack/defense stuff), dunno how it is now.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2007, 03:17:22 PM »

Eurogamer chimes in.

Link

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »

My mom usually lets me pick out a couple games as Xmas gifts (we just go to Best Buy or something and she'll let me get a couple), so I'm pretty sure you'll see me aboard sometime in mid to late December.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2007, 02:10:26 AM »

Any kind of trial for this? I'm interested in it, but there are too many games out right now for me to spend money on.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2007, 03:04:21 AM »

Quote from: faide on November 17, 2007, 02:10:26 AM

Any kind of trial for this? I'm interested in it, but there are too many games out right now for me to spend money on.

Actually, one sorta became available. But you have to have somebody who's already a paying member give you access. And they're limited to how many they can give out (4 I think).

Basically it's how City of Heroes works, but with a different link (and it's only a 3 day 'trial' verses 10 days with CoH).

http://www.playtr.com/community/contests_promotions/richard_garriotts_tabula_rasa_referral_program.html

And just to show you it's legit, here's the original link that talks about it:

http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/richard_garriotts_tabula_rasa_referral_program.html

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2007, 05:41:04 AM »

dangit, why'd I have to start reading this thread?  I know i'll be another one of these that ends up collecting dust but LD is making it sound so neat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

It is neat.  But the game has so many unorthodox design decisions, I'm certain it will remain a niche-type game that will eventually fizzle.  And I will warn you guys now, the plethora of unofficial forums out there are filled with fanboys with rose-colored glasses.  Many of these guys are making statements that simply are false.

I am having a ball playing the game, and at this point in time am hooked, but it's got a long way to go imo.

I'm not sure how to dish out these invites that I apparently have, but if anyone is interested, go ahead and PM me and I'll at least attempt to figure it out. 

Fair warning though - 3 days is a joke.  3 days enables people to play the 'worst' part of the game... the beginning; when you are not the least bit specialized as a character.  I suppose in 3 days you could at least get to see graphics, the combat system, base defenses, and general gameplay though...  so it's not a total loss.  But I still think it's a bad decision on their part to limit it to such a short period.

LD

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2007, 10:56:30 PM »

I'm gonna give it a shot picked it up today like I needed another game to play. But Wow doesn't do it for me anymore so....
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown
Fair warning though - 3 days is a joke.  3 days enables people to play the 'worst' part of the game... the beginning; when you are not the least bit specialized as a character.  I suppose in 3 days you could at least get to see graphics, the combat system, base defenses, and general gameplay though...  so it's not a total loss.  But I still think it's a bad decision on their part to limit it to such a short period.
A lot of MMO free trials have that problem imho. Even if they give you 7 days or longer, you still won't get to see enough that's going to make you want to sign up. When I was in COH, I gave quite a few free trials out. Often people just couldn't get to the point where they had Stamina (so they were gasping for Endurance), and most of the more exciting powers in the game were in the maybe L20-32 range, and trial players generally couldn't get there.

I've often felt if they could give trial players pre-made characters at a certain level (at least as an option, and even if limited to certain zones/areas so as not to "spoil" quest/mission content) higher in the game, then they'd at least give them a taste of what their characters could be later in the game as a better carrot for signing up. In a lot of these things the early-mid levels are either tedious, or character skill development limited, and you just don't see what might make it increasingly fun over time if you signed up.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2007, 02:35:49 PM »

I canceled LOTORO today, so I'm now officially monthly-fee-gaming free. So I might be up for TR down the road (again, probably as an Xmas gift wish, so I might get in sometime in December).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »

Even though I kinda enjoyed the beta I dont feel TR is long for this world. Its just not different enough. But last time I played was in beta so maybe it has changed.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »

So, apparently in the future, Dell will still be around. More specifically, the Dell XPS.

How do I know this? See attached pic grabbed from a friend playing the game:

Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2007, 03:34:49 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 01, 2007, 11:07:47 PM

So, apparently in the future, Dell will still be around. More specifically, the Dell XPS.

How do I know this? See attached pic grabbed from a friend playing the game:

Roll Eyes

In game ads don't bother me too much if they're done right. Funcom did a good job with them in AO, but they were only in the freebie gameplay client. I want to give this game a whirl for a few months, but what kills it for me is no player economy. I just can't see myself even playing a game for as little as 2 - 3 months if I can't sell gear I find or personally craft.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »

Gamasutra had an item (saw it mentioned at Blue's News) on Garriott's thoughts on letting too many players into beta when it wasn't quite fun yet (that was my experience):
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16490
I actually think the biggest mistake was made not by the marketing department, but by the development team. We invited too many people into the beta when the game was still too broken.”

“We burned out some quantity of our beta-testers when the game wasn’t yet fun," he said, adding, "As we’ve begun to sell the game, the people who hadn’t participated in the beta became our fast early-adopters.”

He continued, “And the people who did participate in the beta, we’ve had to go back to and say ‘look, look, we promise: we know it wasn’t fun two months ago, but we fixed all that. Really, come try it again.’ We’ve had to go out and develop free programs to invite those people back for free before they go buy it. So the beta process, which we used to think of as a QA process, is really a marketing process.”
Well, dang, they sure haven't invited *me* to come back. Wah.  crybaby icon_biggrin

I think this confirms my belief I'm better off staying away from high profile betas until just before release (which is how I fell into City of Heroes in spring 2004, on literally the last couple days of the beta).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 02:27:18 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2007, 06:34:56 AM »

Want to get into the game? At this moment, you can get the Normal Edition for $24.99, and the Collector's Edition for $29.99. While supplies last, yadda yadda.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2007, 08:49:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 06, 2007, 06:34:56 AM

Want to get into the game? At this moment, you can get the Normal Edition for $24.99, and the Collector's Edition for $29.99. While supplies last, yadda yadda.

Does the standard edition feature a 30 days free trial period as well? I only see the free month in the description of the collectors edition. And what's the word on auctioning and crafting? I heard a patch would be released very soon to introduce these; has it actually been released?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2007, 03:06:36 AM »

Both versions come with 30 days 'free'. And as of last check (today - just got the game myself) there is no auction house of any sort, and crafting, while it works, is quite limited (make enhancements and grenades and such from what I've seen dropped).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »

I should have this soon (either locally as one of my Xmas wish list things, or via the Amazons ale), fwiw.

ADDENDUM: I'll probably pick this out (maybe the Collector's Edition if I can find it) when me mum lets me pick a couple games for Xmas Saturday. This assumes we can find a parking spot at Best Buy, and that I don't collapse from claustrophobic suffocation while I'm in there.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:01:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »

A few games sites are now offering 3-day trials for this (it might be useful in terms of seeing how far along it's come since beta, but I definitely miss the days of 7-10 day trials), including MMORPG.com (though you need to do free registration as an mmorpg.com member first):
http://www.mmorpg.com/freetrials/tabularasa_trial.cfm?BHCP=1&bhcp=1

Tomorrow... er, later today I should have the full game though I may just leave it til Xmas day.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »

Yeah, I've noticed that some site is doing free signups, as TR is now getting the gold farmer spammers left and right.

Random tip for multiple signups from MMORPG.com:

To @gmail, [email protected] and [email protected] both go to the exact same address ([email protected]). However, that site (and most sites in general) see it as entirely different e-mail addresses. The + and anything after it gets ignored by @gmail's servers.

Allows you to sign up as often as you want (obviously creating different accounts), and only use one e-mail address. I used that extensively to pad my super group for City of Heroes for their recent Prestige grant. biggrin

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »

I think TR and CoX have a deal now where you get someone to sign up and pay for 30 days and you get a free 30 days too...CoX may be where you split 30 days.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 15, 2007, 05:24:14 PM

I think TR and CoX have a deal now where you get someone to sign up and pay for 30 days and you get a free 30 days too...CoX may be where you split 30 days.

For CoX, it's definitely a 'if you get somebody to sign up via your account, you'll get 15 days free and the other person will get 15 free too' dealie. TR...I'd have to hit the site and poke around, as I don't know.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »

so, I went and grabbed the 3 day trial out of sheer boredom, and  eek, I wasn't expecting to have alot of fun with TR but I just lost 3 hours playing it.  Unless something changes I'll be dumping my CoX re-sub and picking this up instead.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2007, 05:08:58 AM »

OK, definitely loving it.  Of course I probably picked the server no one's on- Pegasus.  I like the base defense opportunities that pop up, so far I've gotten 2 defense tokens- Landing something and Imperial Something.  At the imperial place all the enemies were red so I just kept on plinking away at one with my lightning/rifle and got credit for the kill and the token too.

I'm a level 8 soldier right now- how many levels are in the game currently?

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2007, 05:54:52 AM »

I might login tomorrow morning. smile I am definitely thumbs up on the Collector's Edition. As mentioned, the glossy map cards seem very cool and useful too. And you get a nice, thick, wide (not DVD-box-mushed) lavishly illustrated color manual. A cynic would say it's the kind of manual you got with almost every game in the mid 1990s or that you can prob get a lot of this info online or in the official strategy guide, but I can't look a nostalgic gift horse in the mouth. smile

Some pics:

Said map cards.

Manual features a lot of pencil art and sketches. Maybe not Marvel/DC quality, but fun. smile

And very detailed summaries of all the skills, specialties, classes, weapons etc.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:37 AM »

so, I just spent like the last 90 minutes defending the Imperial Valley, routinely taking down 'reds' single handedly, and I was wondering is there ever a chance for them to capture a base?  It seems like they never really make a dent in the defenses.....

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »

Different sections of the world (different bases) have a greater chance of being captured than others, due to the A.I. defensive structures and amount of friendly personnel located there.

In the early parts of the game, it is very difficult for the bad guys to take over anything.  From what I understand, they did this purposely so as not to make the first dozen levels too frustrating for beginners.  It becomes more common as you get further into the game.  (I think max level is 50... not sure).

Also note that there are (at least) two types of enemy incursions.  The first kind happen more often, and are a bit smaller.  The second kind happen much less often, but you'll know when they do, cause they bring out the big guns.  Those are very fun to try and deal with.

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 16, 2007, 11:28:30 AM

Different sections of the world (different bases) have a greater chance of being captured than others, due to the A.I. defensive structures and amount of friendly personnel located there.

In the early parts of the game, it is very difficult for the bad guys to take over anything.  From what I understand, they did this purposely so as not to make the first dozen levels too frustrating for beginners.  It becomes more common as you get further into the game.  (I think max level is 50... not sure).

I don't know about that. The very first area has 2 'capturable' points. Same with the second (haven't gotten to the other maps yet to know how many are in the later levels). Basically, the way it's set up, is that the Bane WILL recapture those two points unless there's friendly PC support nearby. It's just a question of time (normally in the 15-30 minute range, tops). But even 2 PCs can hold most points for quite a while (and attack them). It doesn't take much.

CeeKay - you sure you're actually defending a capturable spot? The Bane do make advances towards spots they can never capture, just to make the game look more 'alive'. You'll gain Defense Tokens as loot if you stand on their corpses for just a moment if you are (and Assault Tokens if you're attacking the place and killing the people that come out of the base when it's not yours).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

I'm kind of a patch notes freak, so here's their update on what's around the corner (from lead designer Paul Sage):
There are big changes coming up with the next update to Tabula Rasa that will help players diversify their characters even more. I briefly mentioned the attribute changes coming online in this next update, but now I can go into more detail about them.

* Body points will now add a bonus to your armor rating.
    * Mind points will now add a bonus to your ability damage.
    * Spirit points will now add a bonus to your chance to deliver critical hits.
    * Health has now been upped for all characters.

These changes will necessitate a respec for your character, but we feel these are very good changes for a number of reasons. The health change means that healing will be more important and inline with what we had originally envisioned. It will give a better early warning system when your armor drops and give more of a reason to have higher health. It will also allow us to improve virulent damage a bit, without making it overpowered. The body changes give those who want to really last in a firefight a way to do so now, but at the cost of power. Mind points means the Logos abilities will now be able to peel away armor and kill quicker, but they themselves will become a much easier target to take down. Finally, the spirit changes will allow strings of critical hits and much faster adrenaline gains through overkills.

All the attribute changes will make abilities, armor and weapons that grant attribute bonuses, or perhaps debuff attributes much more important. As you can imagine, core changes like these are being tested heavily by the development team and our own QA team. I’d like to personally encourage people to play on our Test Server when version 1.4 comes out and give us feedback early.

Also, I would like to discuss the changes coming to the Engineer class. Specifically, we took away Temporary Wormhole and gave it to all players as a consumable item for purchase through vendors. We felt that the original goal of making travel non-tedious in TR wasn’t really being met in all circumstances, so we wanted to remove that barrier from all players.

The new engineer ability will be Malfunction. Malfunction is the Engineer’s way to wreak havoc on their enemies in a very sneaky fashion. Essentially this will give the Engineer the ability to jam weapons and prevent ability usage, while the top level will shutdown movement for a short time on armored opponents.

We will also be evaluating the Trap skill to make it more useful. New traps will be more like mines that blow up on being shot, taking on the damage type of the shot that triggers them, or magnetic mines that blow up in proximity or after being on the target a short time. These abilities may not make it in for Version 1.4, the next update, but should be in shortly after.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 16, 2007, 01:37:07 PM

CeeKay - you sure you're actually defending a capturable spot? The Bane do make advances towards spots they can never capture, just to make the game look more 'alive'. You'll gain Defense Tokens as loot if you stand on their corpses for just a moment if you are (and Assault Tokens if you're attacking the place and killing the people that come out of the base when it's not yours).

yeah, I was defending the Imperial Valley staging area, which according to the game is a control point (I was also getting the defense tokens).

Thos patch notes sound interesting- I was wondering if there was a way to fast travel other than using the waypoints.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: