http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 01:46:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa beta  (Read 46209 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2008, 01:31:37 AM »

I certainly haven't received one, but supposedly NCSoft is sending out TR "reactivation e-mails" to lapsed accounts...
http://www.massively.com/2008/04/29/tabula-rasa-reactivation-week-begins-this-friday/
Their "Reactivation Week" begins at 11am EDT on May 2nd, and runs through Friday, May 9th at 5pm EDT. During that time anyone who has had an account in the past can log back in to check out the many changes the game has undergone since launch.

The email also references another upcoming promo for Tabula Rasa: Double XP in Squads. Starting on Wednesday, May 5 at 11am EDT and running through Monday, May 12, 2008 at 5pm EDT (nicely overlapping with part of the reactivation week), players who adventure in a squad will get twice the normal XP.
To me this is all much too little, too late. You could already level faster in the game than any other mmorpg I could think of. That wasn't the problem. Lack of endgame content (heck, lack of enough 35+ content), lack of more variety in mission lines, a useless crafting system, the ballyhooed PAUs never arriving, etc., etc. Oh well, I'm just beating a... deadhorse
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:34:20 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 30, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

The game is just not a good MMO. Most things that keep me wanting to play a MMO seem barely in TR or not there at all.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the doors get closed on this game by the end of the year.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 30, 2008, 01:31:37 AM

Lots of things Jafisob agrees with

I played TR for a month recently.   TR does have a few nice features most notably the dynamic and exciting base defenses.  The psuedo real time is cute.  Unfortunately TR lacks content(this is a killer) and many other features.  They could have doubled the content and still fallen short.  What the heck were the devs thinking? 

BM and RG both fail utterly in creating successful games after being given millions of dollars and years to accomplish things.  RG retire(you already were anyways) and play with your millions.  I could have made a better game than this with the resources you were given.  C'mon.

TR is definetly going down the Auto Assualt path to oblivion.  Best case scenario is that they keep it around on the barest of support.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2008, 04:23:04 AM »

I played for the first month or so and quit. It wasn't even an exciting exit, I just sort of stopped playing one day. A good friend of mine still plays quite a bit, he say's he is trying to get in as much time before the next big patch/update goes live as, according to him, this will completely destroy the game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:15 AM »

Quote from: Abaddon on May 01, 2008, 04:23:04 AM

A good friend of mine still plays quite a bit, he say's he is trying to get in as much time before the next big patch/update goes live as, according to him, this will completely destroy the game.

What are they changing that's so drastic?

And it can't be as bad as Star Wars Galaxies' Combat Revamp (that got 90% of the population to quit overnight), or Vanguard's recent stupidity of 'we're enabling helmets, so we'll need to remove a few face options that nobody uses' - instead, they completely removed the ability to customize your character's face.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »

Starting on Wednesday, May 5 at 11am EDT

ummmmm.... May 5th is a Monday.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 01, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

Here's a simpler way of how I see it.... (not that anyone at NCSoft should care how I see it, I know  icon_razz)

TR is starving and desperately needs "food."

Instead, they are putting in new plaid-color vinyl seat covers and yelling "Come back and see us!" icon_razz

I think also, as much as they want to believe official forums "don't matter" or "aren't worth the money and staff energy," they don't have a good way to seek out specific player feedback. I mean, WoW and CoX seem to base much of their updates on what they get from player feedback on their forums. Funcom is actually deciding Age of Conan's server names based on players' responses to polls at their official forums.

afik, Destination Studios is fluttering around blindly and I don't venture they have much clue what players wanted/want. They've got the test server, but what they're throwing on test didn't seem much based on any specific player feedback. If they had, they would've known players wouldn't consider hybrids (humanoids with ugly face skins and meaningless stats differences) to qualify as a "new race."  disgust

Anyway, I haven't received any sort of re-invite (I canceled almost a month ago). I do want to try it again at some point, I'm sure on the new PC it'll look and animate a lot more smoothly, if nothing else.

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »

I think they see the writting on the wall like everyone else. They are doing the bare minimum to get the most out of the game till they close the gates.

They know its on life-support system, and that the plug is getting pulled relatively soon.

Why throw copious amounts of creative manpower into a lame duck?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 01, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

Speaking of reinvites I got one from LotRO. They say since I was in beta they want me to join up. They are offering me the game for $9.99 and $9.99 a month. I remember them saying that was only a once in a lifetime deal. They must be shaky too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 01, 2008, 03:09:45 PM

Speaking of reinvites I got one from LotRO. They say since I was in beta they want me to join up. They are offering me the game for $9.99 and $9.99 a month. I remember them saying that was only a once in a lifetime deal. They must be shaky too.

They also turned back 'on' the $199 lifetime sub dealie from what I read.

And maybe the game will be purchased by SoE and jammed into their $30 a month play everything you own deal or whatever. That's the only reason that Planetside and Matrix Online are still running.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 01, 2008, 03:37:40 PM »

Actually, NCSoft *should* care about my opinion cause I spent about $700 on CoX, and $120 on Tabula Rasa (in buying the games, and monthly fees). They've blown the chance to bleed me of monthly fees *twice* a month. icon_razz

Playing
PC
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 06:42:08 AM

Starting on Wednesday, May 5 at 11am EDT

ummmmm.... May 5th is a Monday.....

Not in the Pacific Day Zone.

I'll give TR another free shot.  I don't think it has the legs to last, though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »

While I'm obviously in AoC's corner for now, they're testing a new "squad merge" feature for TR that sounds so "duh, why didn't someone think of that?", it's a wonder why every MMO doesn't have it:

http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_5232008.html
...we decided that the first step in creating a looking for squad system was to introduce the concept of merging squads. What we’ve done in D9 is add new functionality to merge squads. To do this we’ve modified /invite and added a new concept of /join. The difference between the two is best summarized with an example.

Let’s say that Bob and Susie want to play together. They can either be by themselves or in a squad. As long as the size of Bob’s squad + Susie’s squad is less than 7, the following will happen:

Bob does a /invite to Susie
-Bob is inviting Susie and her squad to join his squad.
-Susie will be presented with an invite to join Bob’s squad.
-If Susie accepts, Susie’s squad will be disbanded, and she (and her squad) will automatically join Bob’s squad.
Bob will be the leader of the new squad which is made up of his squad mates in addition to Susie and her squad mates.

Bob does a /join to Susie
-Bob is asking Susie if he can join her squad.
-Susie will be presented with a request for Bob to join her squad.
-If Susie accepts, Bob’s squad will be disbanded, and he (and his squad) will automatically join Susie’s squad.
Susie will be the leader of the new squad which is made up of her squad mates in addition to Bob and his squad mates.
I've run into this situation in AoC a couple of times, but I've run into it in every MMO I can think of as well. Could be a real timesaver once people get used to the idea.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

I'm still checking in now and then to see if it's worth returning for a visit to TR some day.

The June 20 Feedback report, where they got a lot of feedback from TR players who got to visit Destination Games in Austin, TX, has some interesting tidbits:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_6202008.html

At the end of the night we were left with:
What would you change?

Aggro System

Crafting does not compete for skill points

Crafting things other than consumables + mods

More level appropriate ammo schematic drops, weapons, armor, etc, less paint

Donald Rumsfeld CP Commander (AFS) <- Explained later

TSR Base Damage +25 - 40% in PVE so 1 shot kills on trash happen

Restore reflections to linker bosses

Hack Skill - increase base Range (maybe adjust hack time to distance)

Look at allowing abilities to use different logos at different pumps (e.g. Lighting 1 = power, lightning 3 = power and something else, etc)

Logos users are underpowered and not compelling to play

CPs should influence the region around them, beyond the occasional patrol

Swap Launchers with propellant guns

Lava hurts (runaway cascade damage)

Engineer Turrets, rifle-like Rate of Fire, not chaingun-like

Fire support 1/3: 50% phys, 50% sonic
2/4: 50% elec., 50% EMP

Tactical evasion 5: Toggle

What would you add?
Sidekick/Exemplar (ref: CoX)

Link loot in chat

Team leader can select team mission objective

Map thumbtack

Report spammer -> auto ban account with enough hits

Ability to get coords of a target

Logos user items/class/armor

Repeatable endgame

Making a noticeable difference in the war

Red circle on minimap indicating aggro range (gets smaller with stealth armor)

Walking or standing still should reduce aggro range for all classes

Demo charges destroy turrets and force fields
An interesting addition of late was new double-barrel and triple-barrel  saywhat shotguns.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:00:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »

Massively.com mentioned some TR staffing shuffling that's been going on, including CuppaJo (April Burba) - probably better known as the CoX board's chief moderator for years - getting shuffled off to the Dungeon Runners team:
http://www.massively.com/2008/07/02/staffing-shake-up-on-tabula-rasa/

The game's lead designer moved on to a different project some months ago, though that probably happens a fair amount in the post-launch phase of MMOs (fixing/updating being a lot different than creation/designing).

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

So, I have to ask:

This thread is HOW old now and it's still titled "Tabula Rasa beta". Why? biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »

Because you can change the subject once, but then it goes back to the first subject automatically (I changed my posts' topics here on occasion to other things, but the default is always the original subject heading). :-) So blame it on Daehawk (who created the initial post). ;-)

This reminds me of my job, because every time I create an article from a template, MS Word fills in the file name initially with the headline from a story I wrote back in November 2006 (when I started my then new job). Bizarre.

Ten Ton Hammer has a Q&A with TR producer Starr Long:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/37923

I'm afraid the couple of things that might draw me back remain around the corner, just like they always do...
Ten Ton Hammer: What’s the status of the Personal Armor Units? Are we getting any closer to a time when these game enhancements would be released? Is there anything we can do to help? *winks*

Starr Long: We are working on some tweaks to the design right now. From there we will be doing some modifications to the art we’ve made for these. We really want to make them right so we are taking our time. Unfortunately this means we are months away before you can play with them. We are actively working on them, but this stuff can be pretty complicated and getting it right is key.

Ten Ton Hammer: How’s the crafting revamp coming along? When will we begin to see the fruits of that labor?

Starr Long: We are working on a prototype of the revamp for internal testing and evaluation for the end of this month. Our goal is to get a “better” crafting system to the players within the next several deployments.
I thought PAUs were "just around the corner" 5 months ago, and now they seem to be further away. Strange...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:55:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 11, 2008, 12:54:20 PM

I thought PAUs were "just around the corner" 5 months ago, and now they seem to be further away. Strange...

Yeah. So did I. Oh well. I have too many other MMOs at the moment to play anyway to pick this one up again anytime soon.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 11, 2008, 01:53:45 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on July 11, 2008, 12:54:20 PM

Yeah. So did I. Oh well. I have too many other MMOs at the moment to play anyway to pick this one up again anytime soon.

I played TR for a month and liked it but not enough to subscribe.  The game also was linear in that there was one set of zones.  I enjoyed parts of the game and I liked it better tha AoC.  I still don't understand how you can launch a SCIFI mmo and have no player vehicles.  Like Blackjack I don't see myself picking the game up again anytime soon.  TR is obviously on basic life support.  When they pull the plug is the only question although they may just let TR stay in a coma for a few years.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

The latest Feedback Friday gave some promising details on the long-needed/promised crafting revamp. The senior game designer (Michael Moore) explaining it says to expect incremental changes in crafting over the next few updates (rather than one massive update way down the road):
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/feedback_friday_7182008.html
We've had a Crafting revamp on the back burner for a few months, and now we're in a position to put some development resources behind it. At this point, our rough (and always subject to change) plans are to get an iteration on Crafting up on the Public Test Server with Deployment 12, and then add more incremental improvements in subsequent Deployments.

Our initial goals for the first Crafting iteration are simple:
    * Make the Crafting system easy to understand
    * Make the Crafting system more accessible to all players
    * Make Crafting into a key component of character specialization

And here's how we think we can reach those goals:
    * Eliminate the Crafting skills and leave Crafting without skill requirements
    * Remove the maximum item level limitation on module upgrade recipes
    * Remove the Crafting components required for upgrading modules
    * Introduce a new kind of crafting resource that is a new "currency" like Prestige
          o Change Disassembly to allow salvaging items to get the new currency
          o Crafting activities consume this currency
          o Make it so you can choose your own level of risk
    * Add in the ability to remove modules from existing items
    * Add in the ability to integrate the removed modules into other items

So, when it's all said and done, the Crafting system ends up being pretty simple and straightforward, while allowing full customization of your gear.

Currently, Crafting requires you to create a "mule" clone of a Level 30+ character, so you can buy all 4 Crafting skills up to Pump 5 in order to maximize your chances of success. You have to use your Lockbox to transfer gear, components, and recipes between characters. In order to upgrade modules on equipment, you have to manage a large number of upgrade recipes with fine-grained boundaries. You also have to manage a large variety of crafting components. When attempting the highest module upgrades, you run a huge risk of destroying the item. And to top it all off, there is very little documentation of the system, which isn't the easiest thing to figure out to begin with.

After the first iteration, the system will be tons better in all the basic ways.
* The list of upgrade recipes will be simplified to just the ones for sale on Prestige vendors, instead of the huge list of recipes with very restricted target equipment classes and restrictive level requirements. (Those will continue to drop as loot, but probably with a much-reduced frequency - less quantity but more quality.)
* Instead of managing a large list of components with technobabble names, you'll have a new type of currency specifically for crafting.
* You'll be able to have each character modify his or her own equipment instead of transferring it to and from a mule.
* You'll be able to easily remove an unwanted module from a piece of equipment and just as easily replace it with another. Instead of risking item destruction, you'll be able to spend extra Crafting Currency (its working name is "Mimeogel", but we're open to suggestions for a better name!) to guarantee success.

In other words, modifying equipment should become a simple and straightforward process, allowing all players to spec (and re-spec) their equipment as easily as they adjust skill levels and attributes.

So, where do we plan on going after that? Well, obviously we would like to build an elder Crafting game, allowing new options for equipment customization and benefits for characters who heavily invest and deeply specialize in it. But before we go there, we have to build a solid foundation. That foundation is what has been described here. We are evaluating designs for future iterations to this system, and at this point we are looking forward to seeing your feedback on this and your ideas for where we can go in the future!
I'm giving some thought to floating back to the game once I've hit the level cap in Age of Conan. Realistically that's probably a week or two away.

Or I might wait to see if TR has a "double XP" day or some sort of "reactivate your account" type event. I left the game more because of a drying up of 30s-40s level content more than anything else. And unlike AoC, there wasn't even a lot of hunts/reward poster thinges to do as a stopgap until more contacts unlocked.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:21:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »

Boy, all that crafting stuff sounds like stuff they should've done at launch instead of now.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »

I bought the game actually...and I didnt hate it, but..well...it was just..empty of meaning as I saw it at the time...

anyone know any numbers on subscribers to it these days?

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

The July 23 patch added quite a few welcome things (imho), including *finally* some new content (Plateau: Velon Hollow instance, along with the new missions Village of the Damned, Ancient Mysteries, Deadly Silence, These Old Bones, Mountain Spring Toxins, Holy Vengeance, and The Better Half, obtained at New Velon Village and Wedge Rock Outpost.)

There's also a helpful Looking for Squad "ad" system:
Looking for Squad - By typing /lfs or using the radial menu you can now bring up options for creating or searching ads. You can either press the generic button which will do all the work for you, or open up the advanced options to enter the specific criteria of the group you would like to be a part of. Once you match with ads like yours via the search option, you can right click to bring down a menu to whisper, join or invite that group leader in order to merge your squads. If you wish to see in depth details about that squad and their ad, just left click the person to get more details.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »

I went ahead and reactivated this morning. I got a lot of patches to install, so it might be a while.

This past week's update included some really extensive changes to the graphics engine to improve performance in some cases, and just the overall look in others. I like what I've seen in the last couple of updates. If they can keep pushing more new content (like the Veloh instance and its accompanying missions), that's one thing I was griping about at the time I deactivated in April.

I'll get some screenshots up of some of the new stuff (including the Looking for Squad system) once I've got it updated and ready to go. I've switched computers/video cards since I quit this, so I'm hoping I can run it high detail now.

While I'm not quitting AoC, I've found it getting a bit tedious in the low 70s for my tastes, and while they are working on new content, I'm a little tired of having to resort to Dungeon Runners style endless hunts there to level, much of the time. Maybe I'm actually hoping dabbling in something else for a while, or in between AoC bouts, will avoid burnout.  icon_neutral

And I want my darn PAU! (Personal Armored Unit). I don't think those will get out this year though.  tear

While I was predicting Auto Assault-style Doom for TR by about this point, I think maybe slipping out of the spotlight (with AoC and others getting all the buzz, hype or doom 'n gloom stuff in the months since TR's launch) was in a way good for it. It's had time to polish up, bug fix, and finally inject some new content and PVP clan control point stuff without the glare of over-hype. One look at the "known issues" list in the latest update tells you they still have a long way to go though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:22:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »

So how's my return? Well, the game genuinely seems to look better than it did before. They have changed meshes and some other things, and it seems noticeable.

A lot of map icons have been changed, and made a little easier to see and understand.

And the new instance (Velon) is right at the level where I got my highest characters to before I lost interest (low 30s).

The problem so far is I just don't remember how to play the game "well."  icon_razz Also, i reconfigures some hotkeys, but now I can't remember what the default keys were for certain things. I seem to recall 'F' by default was supposed to let you do a "quick kill" for extra exp when a red skull was above an enemy -- but I reconfigured it. And I don't see any key on the keybinding list that resembles that hotkey (I don't even remember what it was called officially). Argh. icon_confused

I also don't remember what my upper level characters' favorite abilities were. And while they gave a free respec at some point while I was gone (unassigning *all* your skill and attribute points), I'm lost as to what I was assigning points to before.

The thing about MMOs is you reach the point where everything is second nature, and after a few months away, it's like trying to ride a bike again after 20 years and constantly crashing into the street face first.  icon_lol

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »

I thought the old saying was, "its like riding a bike, you never forget"?  slywink

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2008, 03:19:32 AM »

I already canceled again though it doesn't take effect until Aug. 27. Shortest reactivation evah!  icon_razz I never really could remember how to play effectively. It was by far my strangest return to a game. My other re-visitation candidate is LOTORO, and I'll be curious if I can remember the gameplay mechanics there any better.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:22:46 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 12, 2008, 03:19:32 AM

I already canceled again though it doesn't take effect until Aug. 27. Shortest reactivation evah!  icon_razz I never really could remember how to play effectively. It was by far my strangest return to a game. My other re-visitation candidate is LOTORO, and I'll be curious if I can remember the gameplay mechanics there any better.  icon_confused

Ive found in the past that returning to a MMO and trying to pick up with an exsisting character much harder than just starting a new one.
After if all comes back to you, you can then pick up with you "main" where you left off.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »

See, that's my problem -- I *did* start off with a new character and got frustrated trying to remember mechanics and basic hotkeys, locations of things etc. I can't really fault the game for it, I think I just found it harder to remember than City of Heroes for example. Though I think playing something for 3 years far more ingrains it into one's psyche, than say, 3 months.  icon_neutral

I just felt no more comfortable with my noob characters than with my L30 ones. I was also befuddled by a couple of hotkeys that aren't listed in the bindings (I think because they're not configurable), and I guess I've misplaced the TR hotkey card that came with my CE edition too.

There is much scuttlebutt of late that TR's time may be numbered (not immediately but maybe next year), along with Dungeon Runners:
http://www.massively.com/2008/08/12/rumor-ncsoft-austin-to-be-shut-down/

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:01:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »

NOW IS THE TIME TO RE-ENGAGE
As a former Tabula Rasa player we would like to invite you to play for FREE during this exciting month of OPERATION IMMORTALITY! Simply log-in to your existing Tabula Rasa account and you will be able to play for FREE from now through August 31st 2008, no credit cards or commitments require

Sorry about that stuff but I will be play Warhammer Online.  Roll Eyes 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 24, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

Ha, yeah, there is too much variety in more polished games to return to, or new ones to tackle, I reckon.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 24, 2008, 03:40:03 PM

Ha, yeah, there is too much variety in more polished games to return to, or new ones to tackle, I reckon.  icon_smile

I was going to try it for a couple days just for grins and then I realized I had uninstalled it.  There was no way I was going to go through the effort to re-install it just to putter around for a few hours over the course of a few days.   

My bet is that TR is the next major MMO to close up shop.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

I didn't buy Auto Assault (did play it in beta) until I saw it drop to $5.88 at CompUSA. I actually bought the "collector's edition," which included a flimsy headset/mic, for $8.88. But I kind of knew a price drop to that level indicated the game's days were numbered, and retailers were just trying to get rid of stock by that point.

So, Joystique readers had informed them of Amazon's price drop for TR, which you can now get for... 96 cents.  icon_razz
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Garriotts-Tabula-Rasa-Pc/dp/B000SAV6RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1225909773&sr=8-1

You could also see that as signs of a Need for an Expansion, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards...

I was so disappointed when i finally read about the Personal Armored Units, as they don't appear to be shaping up anywhere near what I or most players had hoped for (and for a while was the one thing that would bring me back to try).  disgust
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:17:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 06, 2008, 01:15:08 PM

So, Joystique readers had informed them of Amazon's price drop for TR, which you can now get for... 96 cents.  icon_razz
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Garriotts-Tabula-Rasa-Pc/dp/B000SAV6RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1225909773&sr=8-1

You know the funny part? Under the main purchase, is a 'frequently bought together' thing. And the top item is TR and the CE of TR.  saywhat

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »

Well, well, well...

"Lord/General British" never ceases to amaze.

In the words of Tony Reali... "He gone!"

And for the record, I LOVED Tabula Rasa when I was playing it.  Just like I do all MMO's.  Until I get bored that is, which takes about a month or two.

I hope the game continues to exist.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:16:11 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

I suppose once you've been to space, you get really full of yourself. But Richard has been like that forever, so I don't think that's to blame!  icon_lol

His farewell:
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/an_open_letter_from_general_br.html
Quote from: Dick G.
Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space. Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.
I can assure you there are MMOs out there with enough depth, variety and quantity of content on the PvE side (and crafting that's actually fun) that you might actually want to stick around for more than 2 months [I leave it to others to speak to PvP games], but I found neither TR nor Age of Conan to be that game, even if both seemed to offer more exciting combat, on the surface, than others I've tried.

Personally, I think Dickie G.'s so embarassed about how disappointing the long overhyped Personal Armored Units  deadhorse are that he wants to get out of town before they get into the game.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:48:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »

This is NCSoft to Major Dick
You've really made the grade
And the TR subscribers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave your publisher's capsule if you dare

This is Major Dick to NCSoft
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Tabula Rasa is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my game devs knows which way to go
Tell my staff I love them very much (they knows!)
Apologies to David Bowie.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »

Sigh. Time to que up Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust." One catch - the game will "go free" for its last 6 weeks, starting Jan. 10.

Dev Team's Farewell Letter to Players
http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/message_from_the_tabula_rasa_t.html
To the Tabula Rasa Community,

Last November we launched what we hoped would be a ground breaking sci-fi MMO. In many ways, we think we've achieved that goal. Tabula Rasa has some unique features that make it fun and very different from every other MMO out there. Unfortunately, the fact is that the game hasn't performed as expected. The development team has worked hard to improve the game since launch, but the game never achieved the player population we hoped for.

So it is with regret that we must announce that Tabula Rasa will end live service on February 28, 2009.

Before we end the service, we'll make Tabula Rasa servers free to play starting on January 10, 2009.

We can assure you that through the next couple of months we'll be doing some really fun things in Tabula Rasa, and we plan to make staying on a little longer worth your while. For more details about what we are doing for Tabula Rasa players, please click here.

Stay tuned for more information. We thank you for your loyal support of the game and encourage you to take us up on the benefits we're offering Tabula Rasa players.

The Tabula Rasa Team
Obviously when their fearless leader decided space was more interesting than game development (duh!  icon_razz), the writing was on the wall.

For me, the PAUs never quite coming to fruition, and certainly not ending up like what most of us hoped they'd be, was a downer. I liked what they tried to do, and I have fond memory of a few instances, I just don't think they could afford to keep the pedal to the metal on true content updates, and it doesn't look like crafting ever really got straightened out.

And I dunno. I don't mind having to whack 20 boars with a sword in a fantasy MMO. Having to weed out 20 squishies with my super plasma photon rifile just seemed... strange.  icon_razz

Base defenses were always a blast, maybe they should've done more to give that a deeper purpose.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:14:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

That sucks.

I loved zooming in on things and shooting them with my rifle back when I played TR.

Total bummer.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2008, 01:45:46 AM »

I was thinking of re-subbing for a bit  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: