http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic Screenshot thread  (Read 12732 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 06, 2012, 05:14:29 AM

Interesting layout on the Phantom, Harkonis.  icon_cool It's good to know they didn't just sort of cookie-cutter one interior layout and use the same for all of 'em.

Yeah it'd be nice to name one's ship. Afterall it was "The Falcon," not "The XS Freighter" or "Han Solo's Ship" that came to the rescue.  icon_smile

While I haven't had need to use the escape pod, I wonder if maybe it comes into play somewhere near the end of your storyline quests? I kept thinking for many levels that the intercom and holo-com in the XS Freighter was just set dressing, but they did eventually get used for class quests.

I am curious what this "secret" space combat stuff is. Multiplayer? Maybe at least letting a buddy or two man some turrets on your ship? Maybe more of a real space-travel-questing experience. Maybe just marketing hokum and nothing that cool.  icon_razz

the interior of the jedi ship is different than yours (and was posted before yours) so I'm a bit confused that you didn't know they were different.  ninja
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Since a lot of the spaceports are lazy copies of each other (presumably to re-use textures and not gobble up more HD space), I think it was reasonable to assume maybe some of the ship interiors wouldn't be terribly different from each other in terms of the circular hub format (smuggler ship). Maybe you could just accept a compliment without insulting someone? Tongue

Got a decent looking helmet from a Hoth commendations vendor:

Did find it odd that the vendor had two helmets like this, same vendor, each pre-equipped with exactly the same mods. I am a bit tired of these garish Smuggler armors and I hope to find something a bit more subtle at AH some day.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 06, 2012, 01:45:19 PM

Since a lot of the spaceports are lazy copies of each other (presumably to re-use textures and not gobble up more HD space), I think it was reasonable to assume maybe some of the ship interiors wouldn't be terribly different from each other in terms of the circular hub format (smuggler ship).

I thought after Dragon Age 2 it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd be lazy and re-use as many layouts as possible icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2012, 01:49:42 PM

Since a lot of the spaceports are lazy copies of each other (presumably to re-use textures and not gobble up more HD space), I think it was reasonable to assume maybe some of the ship interiors wouldn't be terribly different from each other in terms of the circular hub format (smuggler ship).

I thought after Dragon Age 2 it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd be lazy and re-use as many layouts as possible icon_wink

reasonable to assume, until someone posts a pic showing otherwise anyway.  that was my point.   Roll Eyes
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »

Got a decent looking helmet from a Hoth commendations vendor

Why does that smuggler have a kneepad strapped to his balaclava?

That is one of the silliest things about many games in general and RPG/MMO's in particular.  It may be a bit much to ask but I expect "armor" to at least appear functional towards it's intended purpose.  It seems a bit silly that I can go from a full helmet with face shield (Armor rating 150) to something that looks like John McEnroe's headband with a Casio calculator watch taped to it (Armor rating 400).

I mean, how exactly does that work?  At least in a fantasy setting one can claim "magical" protective properties but in a sci-fi setting it's a bit off-putting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:21:28 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:38 AM »

Quote from: TK-421 on January 06, 2012, 02:14:31 PM

Got a decent looking helmet from a Hoth commendations vendor

Why does that smuggler have a kneepad strapped to his balaclava?

That is one of the silliest things about many games in general and RPG/MMO's in particular.  It may be a bit much to ask but I expect "armor" to at least appear functional towards it's intended purpose.  It seems a bit silly that I can go from a full helmet with face shield (Armor rating 150) to something that looks like John McEnroe's headband with a Casio calculator watch taped to it (Armor rating 400).

I mean, how exactly does that work?  At least in a fantasy setting one can claim "magical" protective properties but in a sci-fi setting it's a bit off-putting.

Force fields and nanites.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »

This is Blizz, he is classified as a ranged tank and in my opinion, the best companion ever (at least on the Imperial Side)  He loves any kind of gift, and constantly craves attention and praise

This is Skadge, kind of a dick but good in a fight. Perfect for you dark side characters

My current ride (made via cybercraf)

I killed this lvl 50 Jedi in open pvp, he was camping an IMP shuttle and ganking newly arrived players on the planet Voss

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2012, 02:21:18 AM »

Awesome.  I'm looking forward to getting Blizz.  I have a ways to go though.  He seems to pack a lot of hardware and weaponry for a jawa.  Very cool speeder too.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 20, 2012, 01:10:40 AM

I killed this lvl 50 Jedi in open pvp, he was camping an IMP shuttle and ganking newly arrived players on the planet Voss

Way to go Kato!  Good job thumbsup
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on January 20, 2012, 03:12:35 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 20, 2012, 01:10:40 AM

Way to go Kato!  Good job thumbsup

Lol thanks. If you zoom in on that pic and look at the chat box, you can see people complaining about the Jedi. It's strange that the guards didn't help out people near the shuttle

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »

are the graphics really this bad, or does the screenies just not do the game justice?

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on January 20, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

are the graphics really this bad, or does the screenies just not do the game justice?

I think "bad" is a matter of opinion, but in truth the game will not allow you to use the highest quality textures at this time. They disabled them before launch because of performance concerns. The shadow quality is not great either.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on January 20, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

make sure you look at Kato's pics and not Blackjack's to see what it can look like.  I think BJ might be playing on his iphone  icon_twisted

AA was just added and goes a long way, but it still doesn't look as good as I had expected a AAA title to look.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

I've seen good and bad stuff.  I'm playing on 2560x1440 (or something like that) and there have been times the game looks absolutely gorgeous.  Standout was probably Tatooine, best desert ever!  Some of the background mountains and things on Alderaan, and the cityscape of Coruscant were also excellent.  Not just the quality of the graphics, but the artistry that makes you feel like you are in the SW universe. 

Then there have been other places which were not as impressive, more like WoW knockoffs or something.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »

I happen to really like the look of the game, especially the character models and some of the armor. I think the favorite thing I have come across is the Bantha model. At times the building textures can definitely look bland and then there's the really short view distance on grass.

The game isn't Crysis for sure, but it has it's own feel. I agree, Tatooine and Alderaan were the first planets where the scenery stood out for me.

I wish I could see what the game looks like with the actual "high" textures.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 20, 2012, 09:02:04 PM

Then there have been other places which were not as impressive [...]

Sadly yes. Here's an example of what you can see if you get to the edge of Balmorra:

The background looks like a flat matte painting. disgust

EDIT: I agree that the Tatooine desert planet was quite convincing (a shame about the exhaustion zone warnings, though).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:11:08 PM by Chordian » Logged
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2012, 04:09:40 AM »

OK, thanks,  Im just curious, they have acknowledged they spent 200 MILLION to make this game.  Kinda thought the graphics would be a lil better for that kinda bread.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 20, 2012, 09:12:29 PM

I wish I could see what the game looks like with the actual "high" textures.

You can - go into a cinema scene and you're now on the game's actual 'high' textures (assuming you were on Medium before), as well as an improved lightning engine and such. You'll also see the same visual quality when you choose which character to play.

You can also flip it to high if you use your communication terminal on your spaceship if you have no quest for it. It bugs out and shows high mode for a second before realizing you have no quest and drops it back to medium.

Quote from: tcweidner on January 21, 2012, 04:09:40 AM

OK, thanks,  Im just curious, they have acknowledged they spent 200 MILLION to make this game.  Kinda thought the graphics would be a lil better for that kinda bread.

The reason is is that their engine sucks and isn't capable of showing that many high detailed character textures without exploding. Of course the devs had a more flowery way of putting it, but that's basically what they said.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2012, 03:27:47 AM »

Concerning AA, when I mouse over it in the options it says AA isn't implemented at this time. The option to use high or low AA, but it's not turned on.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2012, 05:11:53 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 23, 2012, 03:27:47 AM

Concerning AA, when I mouse over it in the options it says AA isn't implemented at this time. The option to use high or low AA, but it's not turned on.

AA is on and working for me
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 23, 2012, 05:11:53 AM

AA is on and working for me

Working fine for me too.  Running an nVidia GTX 285 at 1920x1200.  I can run low AA without any problems, feels a bit sluggish on high.  But I can definitely see a pretty significant difference between no AA, low AA, and high AA.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:15:02 AM by ydejin » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »

You might check your driver settings in Windows. If you don't have antialiasing set to "let application decide," then maybe it's not available in the game preferences menu?

Likewise with me (ATI HD5670 card), the game runs pretty well at the low AA setting (though it's faster with no AA), but I had a noticeable frame rate hit at the high AA setting. Which is a shame cause the game definitely looked noticeably nicer at that setting.

Also, in case it helps anybody else, I think something called Testellation (something like that) in my ATI driver settings was causing very blotchy text in chat windows and the UI. Turning that off seemed to fix it.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

Just out of curiosity are there any of the locations from the original game? If so, I'd love to see what they've done to the places.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on January 24, 2012, 08:27:50 PM

Just out of curiosity are there any of the locations from the original game? If so, I'd love to see what they've done to the places.

Yup, there is quite a long section that deals with Taris and what became of it (and its people). The are even specific appearances (of a sort) by some of the people you met there. I've never really gotten farther than that in KOTOR, so I don't know about the other locations smile

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 24, 2012, 09:40:35 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on January 24, 2012, 08:27:50 PM

Yup, there is quite a long section that deals with Taris and what became of it (and its people). The are even specific appearances (of a sort) by some of the people you met there. I've never really gotten farther than that in KOTOR, so I don't know about the other locations smile

Couple of shots of (pre AA) Taris:

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »

Awesome. I can actually kind of recognize it. I think they did a good job. I won't be playing this though, as sadly my computer would whimper at the thought.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

The Return of...

Pudgy Jedi, Headband Dude, Trooper w/ Mismatched Armor (BJ) and Goth Clown the Smuggler! Bring your own! My blaster looks small but it's not the size that counts, it's.... oh never mind.  icon_razz

While I suspect you need at least a Commando Healer for flashpoints, for Heroics, it hasn't seemed entirely necessary. This group really had none, and I was pseudo tanking (Vanguard) and while we had a couple deaths with a couple larger mobs, no full wipes.

So far, very pleased at how quickly I get pelted with requests to join when I do an LFG for a Heroic mission. And being able to Shift/Click the mission title in your tracker to quickly insert it in chat is nice (maybe it always had that, can't remember?).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: