http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:57:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 132132 times)
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 01, 2012, 12:53:54 AM

I'm glad it's going ftp.  I'll go back and finish up some storylines.  I just had a really hard time justifying paying $15 a month for it.

I'm with ya.  I could see paying $5-$7 a month, but sure as hell not $15.

Which makes you wonder....why not offer a $5 a month price point before going F2P?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: October 04, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 03, 2012, 05:40:03 PM

I'm glad it's going ftp.  I'll go back and finish up some storylines.  I just had a really hard time justifying paying $15 a month for it.

I'm with ya.  I could see paying $5-$7 a month, but sure as hell not $15.

Which makes you wonder....why not offer a $5 a month price point before going F2P?
Thing is, that's been the norm ($14.99/mo.), I believe going back to Everquest in 1999, perhaps Ultima Online in 1997. You can look at as nearly $180 a year and be outraged although most people I know burn that much in cellphone bills in maybe two months. Or look at it as 50 cents a day to play something you're addicted to and find it a bargain.

With me I either love the game and the fees don't bother me (as they didn't with SWTOR and Rift for a few months each), or I hit a wall, burnout, fall out of love with the game and even if goes F2P, I just don't care anymore. Many games I had the hots for when they were subscription games (AoC, Champions, STO, LOTRO, CoX until its upcoming demise, and now SWTOR) switched to F2P but by that point no longer interested me. I think a lot of folks are like that now with the genre.

There were certainly F2P's (mostly in Asia) before Turbine/Warner Bros. took Dungeons and Dragons, and then LOTRO into F2), but imho, that's what really got the ball rolling. I just don't see F2P as a license to print money. It's working enough for a few companies to survive, basically, but many of those doing it are probably surviving more because of a deep pockets partner (Warner Bros. for Turbine; Asia-based Perfect World Entertainment for Cryptic Studios; and now EA for Bioware [yeah I know they're joined at the hip]).

=========
Back to SWTOR-specific news -- lead designer Daniel Erickson goes "bye bye" via his Twitter account (and it's clear from the message he's probably not leaving because he has some hot job lined up)

https://twitter.com/DanielAErickson/status/253549613351567360
As part of leaving BioWare I'm officially starting a twitter account for job hunt and design thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:17:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: October 04, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »

I think "burnout" is pretty endemic to the MMO genre as a whole now.  WoW hit the perfect window and basically milked it for as long as it could.  Theres really no chance for any MMO to repeat that without something truly innovative and different brought to the table.  GW2 has done well but it too is the same old thing.  Sure it has some slight differences in questing mechanics but they still boil down to kill that, get this etc.  I dont know if it will take a change in tech on the level of virtual reality or what but it looks like, at this point, MMO's have peaked and are in a rut.  Until then it looks like they are going to dangle FTP to hook subscribers and then try to micro-transaction the hell out of their wallets.  Of course, after seeing how quickly Diablo 3 fell off peoples gaming priorities, perhaps the issue isnt just MMOs but PC/Console gaming in general.  It seems that the entire gaming industry is going through a remarkable lack of innovation.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:42 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 04, 2012, 03:12:53 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 03, 2012, 05:40:03 PM

I'm glad it's going ftp.  I'll go back and finish up some storylines.  I just had a really hard time justifying paying $15 a month for it.

I'm with ya.  I could see paying $5-$7 a month, but sure as hell not $15.

Thing is, that's been the norm ($14.99/mo.), I believe going back to Everquest in 1999, perhaps Ultima Online in 1997. You can look at as nearly $180 a year and be outraged although most people I know burn that much in cellphone bills in maybe two months. Or look at it as 50 cents a day to play something you're addicted to and find it a bargain.

With me I either love the game and the fees don't bother me (as they didn't with SWTOR and Rift for a few months each), or I hit a wall, burnout, fall out of love with the game and even if goes F2P, I just don't care anymore. Many games I had the hots for when they were subscription games (AoC, Champions, STO, LOTRO, CoX until its upcoming demise, and now SWTOR) switched to F2P but by that point no longer interested me. I think a lot of folks are like that now with the genre.

There were certainly F2P's (mostly in Asia) before Turbine/Warner Bros. took Dungeons and Dragons, and then LOTRO into F2), but imho, that's what really got the ball rolling. I just don't see F2P as a license to print money. It's working enough for a few companies to survive, basically, but many of those doing it are probably surviving more because of a deep pockets partner (Warner Bros. for Turbine; Asia-based Perfect World Entertainment for Cryptic Studios; and now EA for Bioware [yeah I know they're joined at the hip]).

=========
Back to SWTOR-specific news -- lead designer Daniel Erickson goes "bye bye" via his Twitter account (and it's clear from the message he's probably not leaving because he has some hot job lined up)

https://twitter.com/DanielAErickson/status/253549613351567360
As part of leaving BioWare I'm officially starting a twitter account for job hunt and design thoughts.

Turbine aren't surviving due to deep pockets of Warner - They are surviving because both DDO and LOTRO actually makes a decent profit. Warner is not in the habit of having companies that arent making money survive.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: October 19, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

F2P Restrictions

New features and restrictions are as follows:

-Three Flashpoints per week
-Three Warzones per week
-Three Space Missions per week
-The option to buy a weekly premium pass
-Inventory expansion and cargo hold restrictions
-Field revivals upon death are restricted
-Character creation restrictions
-Limited quick travel
-Restrictions on login wait time

Video in the link

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: November 09, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »

F2P launches next Thursday (Nov. 15). I wish I cared enough to want to re-activate or even re-subscribe but... I don't.  icon_neutral

I find it sad to remember how unbelievably excited most of us here were about the game exactly one year ago, and how for a couple months it got me in trouble at work cause I'd play it all night and then all morning.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 09, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

Yeah, amazing how it goes with some games. It starts out like a wonderful glass of high quality bubbly, only to become a mug of sour vinegar in record time.

Like the old punch drunk boxer once said: "I coulda been a contender".............To bad SWToR didn't make it through the first round.  We put the fun in funeral

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 09, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »

If the Preferred Status FTP experience isn't too obnoxious, I'd like to finish up a couple of my storylines.  From what I've read, I have to choose 2 of my characters, and the rest will be locked in their FTP model.  It sounds like they will let players keep and use all of the upgrades and items they purchased as a subscriber.  If that's the case, it might be ok for just experiencing the class stories.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 12, 2012, 04:28:39 AM »

I believe that MMO's are in trouble these days FTP or not.  Theyve milked the basic concept and even games that try to be a bit different like GW2 turn out to be the same old thing with a new coat of paint.   I enjoyed SWTOR and finished the class quest for the infiltrator but I have no real urge to return to the game.  GW2 is suffering the same fate.  Its already starting to get barren in the world.  One of the nice innovations, the open world events are not doable in a lot of cases because theres just no one around to join in. I really think they need to find something new to draw people to MMOs or they will start to fade away.  I dont know if its an advancement in tech that they need for more immersion into the game world or that they just need to find a whole new formula for MMOs but its clear that something needs to change.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 16, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »

I tried out the FTP model last night.  All of my characters had been moved onto 1 server.  I was told I needed to rename those with red warning signs next to their names...which was pretty much all of them.  After spending about 15 minutes trying to find names that hadn't already been chosen, I logged in with my highest level character (lvl 40 bounty hunter).  A pop up screen letting me know that I am a preferred status player welcomed me, but also pointed out what I was missing compared to subscribers.  The option to subscribe was flashing.  I closed that message and finally saw my bounty hunter, just where I left him months ago. 

He was waiting for me with 1 action bar, the other 3 bars were gone.  Preferred players get 2 bars, which I was able to load back up because my UI preferences were saved.  If you don't have saved preferences you can select the one named "Extended Actionbars" or something like that.  There's now a big Cartel Coin store icon front and top center, just in case I forgot this was FTP. 

I was happy to see that he still had access to his speeders, so no issues there.  The game let me know that only subscribers get rest XP from cantinas, so when I logoff I should just go outside in the snow.  The single player content seemed just like it was before.  But it was hard to go back to after playing GW2.  I prefer the much faster pace and movement of GW2's combat system. 

The perferred status faqs say I'm limited to just 2 characters, but I was able to login with all of my characters last night.  It must be a grace period thing. 

The biggest thumbs down from me is the XP gain penalty that FTP/Preferred players have of -25%.  Give subscribers a boost to XP gain, but don't penalize the FTP crowd.  Another thumbs down  is the performance of the SWTOR engine.  GW2 looks much better and plays smoother.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 17, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »

Tried to login into Origin to give the F2P model a shot last night.  It's tells me my password is incorrect.  I click on the "forgot password" link, enter my email, and it says a password reset e-mail has been sent. Don't receive an e-mail, try it a couple more times, wait an hour, still nothing. Go to their support website to find out why I'm not getting the e-mail and find out what I can do to get it reset.

In order to submit a support ticket or ask any sort of question, I have to be logged in to my account which requires...the password. That I don't have.

:sigh:

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

Got my log-in issues straightened out and fired up SW: TOR this afternoon.  After a couple hours, I came to conclusion that going back to other MMO's is going to be awfully difficult after spending so much time with GW2.  Just the idea of non-shared kills is a really tough adjustment to make.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 26, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 21, 2012, 09:22:51 PM

Got my log-in issues straightened out and fired up SW: TOR this afternoon.  After a couple hours, I came to conclusion that going back to other MMO's is going to be awfully difficult after spending so much time with GW2.  Just the idea of non-shared kills is a really tough adjustment to make.

I believe LOTRO has already adapted by adding this feature to the game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

Eurogamer have re-reviewed this game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-26-star-wars-the-old-republic-re-review

Spoiler for Hiden:
4/10

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 26, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

They give scores other than 7?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 26, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2012, 02:11:18 PM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-26-star-wars-the-old-republic-re-review

Spoiler for Hiden:
4/10

Pretty accurate assessment, I'd say.  I leveled a Sith character to 11 over the weekend, and was amazed at how boring it all felt.  Maybe it's just that my paradigm has shifted after exposure to better MMO's, but it all felt incredibly dull.  I do still like the more significant focus on storytelling, but everything outside of that was very 'meh'.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 26, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 26, 2012, 03:18:06 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2012, 02:11:18 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
4/10

Pretty accurate assessment, I'd say.  I leveled a Sith character to 11 over the weekend, and was amazed at how boring it all felt.  Maybe it's just that my paradigm has shifted after exposure to better MMO's, but it all felt incredibly dull.  I do still like the more significant focus on storytelling, but everything outside of that was very 'meh'.

A shame, but true. Bioware just copied Wow so much. The 'theme park' paradigm they followed for the game was very boring. When I played, I literally could see the rails I was following. I barely put in 6 hours before I unsubscribed. I don't think I would play for free either.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 26, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 26, 2012, 03:08:34 PM

They give scores other than 7?

Only when the review is meaningless; if you look back at their original review, it was a solid 8.  Hell, according to metacritic it didn't receive less than a 7 anywhere.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

I agree with the "re-reviewer's" thoughts on the FTP model.  It's like they implemented an anti free player FTP model. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 26, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on November 26, 2012, 10:03:25 PM

I agree with the "re-reviewer's" thoughts on the FTP model.  It's like they implemented an anti free player FTP model. 

There's a huge message that pops up once you've hit level 10 that basically says "You're completely gimped in this game unless you pay us a monthly fee.  Good luck!"  It's actually quite funny how blatant they are about it.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: November 27, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »

I logged in over the weekend...  ran around the station and logged off.  Deleted the game from my hard drive

Sad I was excited for this game...   I'll stick with Guild Wars 2 for my MMO at the present

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 27, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »

If you didn't like the game enough to keep a subscription, you certainly aren't going to like the free to play model.
Although I played the game a ton at first, yes I can proudly display "founder" above my nogging, I quit when GW2 came out.

But guys come on, you get to play the game through all the class story lines. And the vo's and story lines were always the main strength of the game.
It might not be as good as GW2 and its FTP model, but it is most certainly worth the price of the game for first time players. In my opinion you get tons more content than a single player game for the same price.

Free is free. You can't compare it to the subscription model. Apples and pears.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:03:55 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 30, 2012, 01:40:15 AM »

Not all that recent but it's not posted here so more info:

Hi everyone!

As you know, we take player feedback very seriously and we wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for being a part of our Free-to-Play transition.

When Game Update 1.5 was on PTS, we heard your feedback and increased Quickbars for Free-to-Play Players, increased Warzones from three to five per week, and reduced the Cartel Coin temporary bind.

We want to let you know that we are constantly listening to you folks, and we’ve heard your feedback regarding limited Quickbars for Preferred Status Players.

This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience.

We’ll have more details for you – including information for Preferred Status Players that have already purchased extra Quickbars - once the change goes live.

Thanks again for your feedback and please continue to provide it for us!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5477407#edit5477407
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: December 07, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 27, 2012, 11:19:11 AM

I logged in over the weekend...  ran around the station and logged off.  Deleted the game from my hard drive

Sad I was excited for this game...   I'll stick with Guild Wars 2 for my MMO at the present
C'mon bud. I mean, you wouldn't cancel various MMOs because the first half hour was banging on rats and mice, right?  icon_smile

My memory is foggy but for me the sweet spot in SWTOR was probably somewheres around L10 to L35 or so. Once you get your class tree delineated into specialties, get a speeder, have enough places to go, there's some more variety in mission lines to follow etc.

What lost me later on is many of the later zones just didn't seem as interesting to me as Tatooine, Hoth and some earlier areas. I don't think it was an accident that the areas I remembered from various SW movies were the most fun, and later ones I never heard of just felt drab.

I loved playing as smuggler. Ultimately I just didn't really get into any of the other classes that much, and being a jedi just wasn't quite as much fun as I hoped. I still think a more interesting light saber "fighting mechanic," maybe akin to AoC's key combos, might've made using light sabers more fun.

And I think ultimately the whole ridiculous mmorpg gameplay mechanics that a server based game require -- i.e., a so-called AI that "responds" to you on proximity, chases you X distance, then goes back to its starting point  -- over the years just grated on me.

I mean, it's 13 years past Everquest, most players have broadband now, yet the mmorpg gameplay mechanics are largely still "plop groups of 3 enemies here and there, and maybe an occasional group to 'patrol.'" And players either engage groups one by one, or try to sneak past them. That's about it.

Is it just not possible to change that up? That's why I'm out of mmorpgs.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: December 18, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »

Digital expansion announced! ($19.99, or $9.99 for current subscribers):

Rise of the Hutt Cartel
http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-rhp-004
The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel

Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
    Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
    The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
    Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!
Who's excited! Does anyone care? ... Me neither...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: December 18, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »

Well they priced it right for what it seems to include - which isn't much. But I don't think this is going to rejuvenate the game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3066 on: January 18, 2013, 05:57:22 AM »

Oddly enough, I'm playing again.   I never finished the storylines, and that's what I'm there for.  I've revived the guild (character name "Wrathfulness" on Ebon Hawk) and I'm slowly cranking through the Sith Sorc line.   Going F2P has put enough bodies in play to get through some of the latter planets (when I got to Alderan the first time I was LITERALLY the only person on the rock!) and the Flashpoints are usually busy enough.   It may not set the world on fire, but I think there is still some meat on the bones.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:30 AM »

I have an unused 60 day card that I never used that sits on my shelf and laughs at me. Maybe I should buy the expansion and use the card for whatever perks it gives (which would include the option of lady Jedi love on Makeb I guess)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:02:31 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3068 on: January 18, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 18, 2013, 06:00:30 AM

I have an unused 60 day card that I never used that sits on my shelf and laughs at me. Maybe I should buy the expansion and use the card for whatever perks it gives.

Being a subscriber is kinda cool.  You move faster, level faster, and get a ton of perks.  They clearly stacked the deck towards subs, which makes sense when you think about it. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 18, 2013, 06:00:30 AM

I have an unused 60 day card that I never used that sits on my shelf and laughs at me. Maybe I should buy the expansion and use the card for whatever perks it gives (which would include the option of lady Jedi love on Makeb I guess)

Yeah I still have an unused 60 day card,  might hop in at some point

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 18, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »

I'm probably going to start playing again in May once spring semester is over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: July 01, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

Well, bleep it, it's been a year or so since I even logged in. I used to champion SWTOR a lot. Seemed like a good time to re-visit.  icon_smile

I logged in Sunday morning. Took a few hours to fully update. All my old characters were there -- L48 smuggler Blackjack (who'll need a name change if I re-activate), and various characters in the L3-L12 range.

I started a new trooper (Blackjakken) from scratch on one of the East US PVE servers. Now that they only have a few U.S. servers, traffic was heavy-very heavy most of the day Sunday. As a Preferred player (former subscriber I think?), it was nice to get Sprint at L1. Just really removes most of the tedium from the L1-10 areas.

While I found it very playable as a Preferred F2P player, the game is constantly warning you about rewards you can't choose, and lower exp after L10 etc., and sort of begging you to subscribe again. For now I'm just using a few cartel coins to improve some convenience things.

Is the Mission Tracker limited to 3 visible on screen for F2P players? Wasn't sure. To some extent, the limit (beyond 3, there's a line-link on your screen telling you how many other quests are tracked) helps remind me to remove stuff that I've completed and just haven't turned in yet.

I'll see about doing the Essen Task Force tonight. The Group Finder tools look very nice and helps alleviate confusion about what task forces you might want to do -- too bad that wasn't in there right at launch.

I'll see how it goes. I really missed out so much on the other classes' storylines, but a year ago I just didn't want to play anymore. For now, it feels fresh again, and I like some of the "quality of life" improvements since the time I stopped playing. If it remains enjoyable, I might at least subscribe for a little bit.

I'm sorry our Gaming Trend guild was folded. I think I designated a couple folks as successors when I quit, but they quit too and probably it was just auto-removed at some point. Nobody's fault, we all just lost interest around the same time.

Although I had some UI complaints back around launch, now I would actually laud it as one of the most customizable out there. And the chat stuff (including ability to right click a name and choose an action in chat etc.) is how I expect it to be.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:21:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »

I did the first flashpoint with a couple other folks (Guardian and another Trooper) last night. Pretty friendly folks, and one gave me some good impressions of the new 50+ content.

I'm considering re-activating my subscription at least short-term. Some "thank you gift" for subscribers is apparently expected this upcoming weekend, and there's a double XP weekend, apparently just for subscribers.

While I've found the game perfectly playable in F2P form, you get reminded of your slower XP, missing out on reward choices or just not getting certain quest rewards altogether, almost constantly.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:08:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

My 3 month subscription ran out a few weeks ago but they did have a few of those double-XP weekends when I was playing. They were pretty helpful in keeping things moving along. You also get the cartel points each month you have the subscription. With those I purchased some clothes, where I just wanted the shirt, that made the social equipment I was wearing black/gold (this was before they added the dyes). I also purchased a nice looking Speeder that I didn't see to many other people riding before it left the store.

I think the Subscription is the way to go with this one. Would actually have liked to played a 4th month but no more than that. Will probably go back to it when the next expansion is release.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: July 03, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »

I've re-activated as monthly, we'll see how long it lasts. I noticed they now have a 60-day, non-recurring payment option too. I would at least like to get a trooper through the class quest storyline.

I've asked several people in-game about the recent 50+ content and all have fairly raved about it. So maybe some day I'll revisit my L48 smuggler and get the add-on stuff.

I'm working on a Trooper>Vanguard at L15, and I had gotten to L12 with a Trooper>Commando on my first stint.

Although I feared an F2P switch would make the general chat even more obnoxious/nasty, if anything people so far seem pretty humorously chatty. Still people lamenting SWG's demise, or people rambling off topic about everything but Star Wars, but really no worse than any other MMO I've tried.

People also kindly answer questions for the most part very promptly. So I learned you can fiddle with the interface editor to make the Quest Tracker show a ridiculously long list of quests -- I'm told that is though limited to Subscribers as an option.

My one maybe disappointment is the Group Finder just doesn't Find. People complain about being in queues for an hour or more, and most find it still easier to just keep typing LFG pleas in general chat. Group Finder's a cool system on paper, just doesn't seem to make it any easier to form a group or find a group, in practice. Players generally told me it's because if you're not a tank or healer, groups just don't want you.

imho, some form of more automated matchmaking, at least for the Heroics, might be useful.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:09:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

I take back the Group Finder criticism, at least for Flashpoints.  icon_smile

With Hammer Station, I was adventuring down in SW Coruscant when the Group Finder notified me I could join three other players in the Flashpoint. It then shuttled me directly inside the entrance of said Flashpoint. We were all around the same level.

Then when one of the group dropped early on (I think it was a disconnect but we never heard back from him), Group Finder notified us it would add in the next available player in the queue -- that happens automatically, and I didn't see an option to delay that so a group could wait for the disconnected player to rejoin later.

Once we all completed the Flashpoint, the Group Finder offered to shuttle me directly back to where I had been (SW Coruscant) or just let me exit back into the Fleet drop ship bay per usual.

My only frustration though is I should be able to turn in a couple quests that just involve completing Flashpoint and using group finder (i.e., they're marked as completed). Even the quest log says I should be able to turn those in at the dropbox in the fleet station; however, although I can find the dropbox, it won't let me turn in something there. So I think that may be a bug, unless there's another dropbox somewhere else (the green quest indicators point me back to fleet; but when i'm in there, no indicator points out the dropbox).  confused

Overall I'm impressed with Group Finder on Flashpoints at least when there are players to group with. I like that you don't have to sit there by the entrance waiting for people; you just do your own thing and accept the Group Finder quick shuttle offer (or not), when you're notified.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:32:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »

Got my Trooper>Vanguard to L33 by Sunday night. While everyone's enjoying the double XP 4-day weekend, most of us are playing in zones way beneath us. Of course you can skip stuff, and just do the Class storyline stuff to move on but I enjoy Tatooine for example and am trying to be thorough questing-wise there even if it's meant to be an L24-28 zone.

This does seem to mean Heroics give no meaningful XP when completed there (got 13XP for a Heroic 4 there Sunday).
==================
I have to say, one of the simplest improvements seemed to go in at some point with no fanfare: you can now move windows around the screen without having to go into the Interface Editor mode. i.e., you can grab an inventory, vendor, character sheet, etc. screen with your mouse cursor and re-position it on screen. No fuss. I complained about that loud and hard around launch.  

I only realized you could do that when I accidentally moved my inventory screen yesterday. Doh. icon_smile
=================
A fun-sounding recurrent Bounty event starts in mid-August:

Bounty Contract Week
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130705
Once per Galactic Standard Month, the Bounty Brokers Association (BBA) posts a list of contracts in the Cartel Bazaar section of the Fleet. Each contract outlines the parameters of a bounty that has been posted on one of many planets across the galaxy, including contact information for the client who posted the bounty and a list of underworld contacts in the sector who may be persuaded to assist you in the hunt. Targets include members of crime syndicates, violent gangs, and various other law-breaking entities. High-profile targets, designated “Kingpins,” may only be hunted through Kingpin Contracts, which are entrusted to professionals who have a proven track record with the BBA.
Bounty contracts will take you far and wide in the search for your target, but the BBA Mission Terminal allows you to select the specific planet on which you wish to hunt. Each day, you may sign up for one standard contract and one Kingpin Contract, and each may take you to a separate planet. Completion of a contract requires the death or capture of your target, but you will also be rated on your investigative technique and your aptitude for handling BBA underworld resources.

The Bounty Broker’s Association is an unaffiliated corporate conglomerate that exists to streamline and standardize the process of posting and fulfilling bounty contracts. Contracts are available to characters at level 15+, and although contracts on some planets have a minimum level requirement, each contract will scale its difficulty and rewards to your level.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »

Blackjakken the Trooper>Vanguard is up to L39 now. Still basically doing stuff well beneath him (Balmorra, 32-36), but that keeps the frustration level low and most of the folks I do PUG Heroic stuff with are similarly late 30s/early 40s.

Maybe my Smuggler>Gunslinger just felt frustrating because I was determined to keep doing even levelish content back then and would almost skip entire planets to do so.  icon_razz

I have to say, all my PUG Heroic teams and even Flashpoints teams have been fine. Generally friendly, or at least productive. No rage quits or anything negative to this point. imho though they may have just made Flashpoints too easy now (if not in Hard Mode).

I would like to get into a guild some day and it feels like Bioware kind of dropped the ball in giving you some sort of in-game way to peruse guilds and see about joining one. You can sort of do that on forums but something in-game would be nice and maybe reduce the need for guild recruit spamming in general chat, which tends to be ignored.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »

Got my Trooper>Vanguard to L40 last night. Got a fun ability Storm via the tank skills points tree. With it you make a dashing charge (you need to pull back to a certain distance from a target for the hotkey to work), a leap, and then crash into the target with decent kinetic damage. A separate passive can up the damage.

I feel hotkeyed out at this point and don't really think I can set up much else without having more hotkey trays to manage than I can stand.  icon_smile

Community rep summarized upcoming summer updates the other day:

Summer of SWTOR Update
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6555457#edit6555457
Here is a fresh update on where we are at in terms of hitting our schedules for the Summer of SWTOR, and a recap of all the exciting things we have in the works for the months ahead. The usual disclaimer applies that all of the below dates are the dates the teams are shooting for. As you saw with Game Update 2.2.2 which had to be moved back by one day, it’s entirely possible these will move!

On July 23rd look for a return of the Relics of the Gree Event for a two week long run:

Per community request the event will scale up to level 55 on this next run, including better loot rewards, commendations, and achievements
    Possible drops include a new Sphere Transport Enclosure vehicle

August 6th is still looking good for Game Update 2.3:
Players can look forward to the namesake of this update, Titans of Industry – a story arc that encompasses two new Flashpoints at level 55: Czerka Corporate Labs, and Czerka Core Meltdown. CZ-198 is a major weapons research and development facility under the direction of a power-mad Czerka Corporation scientist named Rasmus Blys. In addition to two Flashpoints where players will confront Rasmus and his creations, CZ-198 offers new daily missions for players looking to earn credits, commendations, and reputation rewards.

The new Flashpoints are available in both story mode and hard mode. In order to ensure you can jump right into the action, we’re trying something new. The story modes for the new Czerka Flashpoints are role-neutral, which means Group Finder will match you with the first three players it finds, regardless of your group role. Hard mode will of course require a fully balanced group, offering new challenges for you and your friends at level 55.

CZ-198 offers some great new reputation rewards, including new Czerka adaptive gear, mini-pets, some incredibly powerful new droid companion gear and schematics, and the Czerka Executive Cruiser – a luxury landspeeder that oozes style. Also in 2.3 we are introducing the new Companion Character Treek, a deadly and resourceful killer who also happens to be an Ewok.

August 13th is our target date for our next all new event: Bounty Contract Week!

Bounty Contract Week provides new missions with full voice-over that will take you on a hunt for high-value bounty targets across the galaxy. Each bounty contract scales to your level, from 15 to 55, providing experience, credits, commendations, and reputation with the Bounty Brokers Association.

Players will have opportunities to interrogate informants, make dark and light side decisions, and kill or capture their ultimate target. Each time you take a contract, it has a chance to play out a little differently, depending on the information you gather during your hunt. Once you’ve completed enough contracts, you can accept even more dangerous missions to take down notorious crime Kingpins!

Rewards include a new mount, new adaptive gear, and a unique companion customization for HK-51! Completing bounty contracts can also earn you achievements which unlock special legacy titles, and even Cartel Coins! Bounty Contract Week is a monthly event, so if you miss it the first time, don’t worry – it will return next month!

October 1 is our target for Game Update 2.4! This update is shaping up to be very big:

The Planet Oricon, a short story arc that will bring you face-to-face with the Dread Masters.
    New Operation: Dread Fortress
    New Operation: Dread Palace
    New 4v4 Warzone Arenas
    New Elder Game PvE and PvP Gear

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and we are also working on several longer term initiatives. As we get closer we’ll have a lot more juicy details on these and on what’s above. Keep your eyes peeled to the forums and SWTOR.com for more information!
imho, "celebrating" KOTOR's anniversary in SWTOR was a mistake -- it really just opened the doors for a zillion folks to again get upset there's no KOTOR 3, and again complain, "why'd they have to make a 'WoW with light sabers and blasters' MMO instead?" That's all folks had to say in forums about the 10 year KOTOR anniversary.

While I'm still enjoying my re-visit, and with some exceptions am actually more enjoying the player community in game than back around launch (Gripers have mostly moved on; the anger management types I complained about, I haven't encountered on revisit), I'll never stop harping that a few more lively concepts borrowed from other MMOs (Rift's invasions, Tabula Rasa's base defenses/assaults, and probably some of the stuff that Guild Wars 2 is doing now) could've made for a much more dynamic game on the PvE side.

It's maybe telling the only time I feel any real suspense in SWTOR right now is on the couple Trooper storyline missions where everything on a map is set to aggro and go after you. It's perhaps unfair (maybe it's even just a bug?), but it made me sweat a little. It was unexpected and even exciting. The game could use a lot more of, well, things that make you feel that way when playing it, imho, rather than just dutifully grinding through one's mission tracker.

For all my carping, I guess I've made peace with what SWTOR is, for better or worse, and can better enjoy it now than when I quit playing in mid 2012.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:21:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

I think I'll reinstall this over the weekend.  Classes will be done and I can spend time on it during the break.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: