http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:42:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 120227 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 23, 2012, 03:02:01 PM

That sound you heard was me hitting the wall on the final Smuggler boss.  At least I think he's the final boss.

Does the Smuggler story line end with the defeat of:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Voidwolf?

This guy kills me so fast it's ridiculous.  He has an attack that takes half my health and apparently it has a really quick cool down since I die within twenty-thirty seconds every time I've fought him.

Maybe it's because I'm Level 48 and he's a 50 but the last couple planets (Voss & Corellia) had NO side missions to allow me to level up beyond where I am at now.  I actually hit 48 as I was on his ship so wasn't able to hit the Trainer before taking him on.

While the last two planets had lots of quest givers they all indicated "You must complete more missions" so I could only do my class related quests.  Even Guss has had the mission triangle for the last few planets but I still get the "More Missions" message when I try to talk to him about it.

Time to pick up the Trooper again.
I hadn't been reading closely, dude -- that sounds like my experience with several bosses on my quests in the mid-upper 40s. I'm all for a challenge but many times I'd do fine up to the finale boss inside some long tunnel or something and then BOOM, just death over and over, no matter what I tried, which companions I used, stims, etc. And we're not talking specific group content here.

I just way too many times felt like my Gunslinger was basically screwed. Once in a while I could recruit help, or get some stranger off my "friends" list to give a hand.

So really, I guess I gotta work on some other classes and just stop playing the game in the mid 40s cause that's when the frustration/fed-up kicked in for me. Your mileage will of course vary.  icon_smile

I'm not sure what I'm asking for. Maybe a difficulty slider like City of Heroes? But that seemed to adjust more the size of the mobs, rather than the kick-assness of a quest-required boss, really only can work inside an instance. I guess what I want is after, say, 10 deaths the game will ask me "Are you tired of being bullied? We can send some AI guys to help but it'll reduce your quest reward dramatically." I guess that's ridiculous but I almost wish something like that were available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:05:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: February 28, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 28, 2012, 08:02:42 PM

Oddly enough, when I logged into Canderous Ordo on Sunday evening there was a queue.

Indeed. Not a long one, but still. Good sign I guess.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2962 on: March 03, 2012, 05:16:02 AM »

While the last two planets had lots of quest givers they all indicated "You must complete more missions" so I could only do my class related quests.  Even Guss has had the mission triangle for the last few planets but I still get the "More Missions" message when I try to talk to him about it.

I had the same problem... then I realized I was dumb. That message means your quest log is full. Drop some of those quests you've overleveled, space quests, heroics etc.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:17 AM »

OMG, the space missions are so much FUN!

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on March 03, 2012, 05:16:02 AM

While the last two planets had lots of quest givers they all indicated "You must complete more missions" so I could only do my class related quests.  Even Guss has had the mission triangle for the last few planets but I still get the "More Missions" message when I try to talk to him about it.

I had the same problem... then I realized I was dumb. That message means your quest log is full. Drop some of those quests you've overleveled, space quests, heroics etc.

Oh duh.  I always accepted the 2 & 4 Heroics missions and then immediately untracked them so that the quest givers wouldn't show up on my radar. 

Guess I'll go abandon all those early level heroics quests.

Thanks for slap to back of the head.  smile

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: March 03, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

I'm really disappointed the "coming soon" features are still coming soon.  I quit playing around a month ago (in the 30s with 2 characters) while waiting for the dungeon fixes and UI changes.  I don't understand why we're still waiting especially when they've shown a working UI scaling design in a video over a month ago.  Meanwhile we get bug fixes like not being able to leap to a hologram.  Also the changes they took out from beta (that were working) that still haven't made it back in...honestly with that much money and talent and months of work you can't get a working search field in your AH?  It's very clear this is their first real MMO and I can cut them a little slack but it's getting to the point of just coming back 6-12 months later instead of a month.  So much missing or still broken. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 03, 2012, 07:11:50 PM

I'm really disappointed the "coming soon" features are still coming soon.  I quit playing around a month ago (in the 30s with 2 characters) while waiting for the dungeon fixes and UI changes.  I don't understand why we're still waiting especially when they've shown a working UI scaling design in a video over a month ago.  Meanwhile we get bug fixes like not being able to leap to a hologram.  Also the changes they took out from beta (that were working) that still haven't made it back in...honestly with that much money and talent and months of work you can't get a working search field in your AH?  It's very clear this is their first real MMO and I can cut them a little slack but it's getting to the point of just coming back 6-12 months later instead of a month.  So much missing or still broken. 

Because software development is relatively slow and there's a heck of a difference between having prototype quality code and having bulletproof code that can actually be released to customers.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2967 on: March 04, 2012, 01:28:36 AM »

actually software development is not really slow, compared to the rest of the business universe. Excuses are pretty shallow in an endeavor such as this with so many resources.

FYI- I work in software development.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 04, 2012, 01:55:19 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on March 04, 2012, 01:28:36 AM

actually software development is not really slow, compared to the rest of the business universe. Excuses are pretty shallow in an endeavor such as this with so many resources.

FYI- I work in software development.

I have also worked in software development.  I also have a PhD specializing in Software Engineering.  A 3-month product cycle is very fast.

I don't think there is much excuse for SWTOR not having a modern scalable user interface with properly moveable windows at release.  However, given that they didn't have one, expecting them to come out with one in less than 3 months is not particularly reasonable or realistic.  Yeah they might have come out with some half-assed piece of junk in a shorter time frame, but it would have been pretty crappy.  (Of course they might still come up with something pretty crappy, I guess we'll see one way or the other in the next month.)

Think about what ericb is asking for.  The game was released a little over 2 1/2 months ago.  However, the release coincided with the holidays.  The team is probably coming off of major crunch time from release.  You are not going to keep the team pushing hard until after New Years.  That means the team has had 2 months at most to get the new scalable user interface up.  Unless we want a piece of crap the team has to spend some time thinking about what this feature should look like.  Then they need to implement it.  Once the thing gets implemented they need to thoroughly test it.  It's scheduled to be released for beta testing shortly (they are currently asking for beta testers and have promised release sometime in March).  I think that's pretty short time frame, and I think it's actually pretty fast.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:10:12 AM by ydejin » Logged
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:32 AM »

Oh yeah!!! Well, well I fired real guns in the army and they were bigger than any software....what are we arguing about again?

Epeening myself outta here.... retard

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

Quote from: ericb on March 03, 2012, 07:11:50 PM

I'm really disappointed the "coming soon" features are still coming soon.  I quit playing around a month ago (in the 30s with 2 characters) while waiting for the dungeon fixes and UI changes.  I don't understand why we're still waiting especially when they've shown a working UI scaling design in a video over a month ago.  Meanwhile we get bug fixes like not being able to leap to a hologram.  Also the changes they took out from beta (that were working) that still haven't made it back in...honestly with that much money and talent and months of work you can't get a working search field in your AH?  It's very clear this is their first real MMO and I can cut them a little slack but it's getting to the point of just coming back 6-12 months later instead of a month.  So much missing or still broken.  

One thing to keep in mind is that some changes are easier to make than other changes.  Changes to the underlying engine are going to require much more extensive work than scripting or geometry changes.  The vast majority of the changes we've seen look like they are tweaks to numbers or scripting code, not to the underlying engine.

Also throwing more programmers at a program particularly at this stage can be counterproductive over the short term.  If you take a programmer that hasn't been working on the User Interface and toss them into the User Interface team, it's going to take them time to come up to speed on how the UI code works.  The current UI team is going to have to take time away from their programming to get the new guys up to speed.  Over the long term, more programmers may increase the productivity of the team.  But not over the 2 to 2.5 month period that you are expecting them to get these changes done in.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

As a voice of dissension here, I just started playing and have a character at level 20. While I agree that the AH interface is dreadfully bad, and I've seen some funny bugs on occasion (like a character getting locked into an animation), I think ToR is incredibly solid for a new MMO. I have yet to crash or disconnect a single time. I haven't hit a single broken quest. I've yet to go through or get stuck on geometry (or even have the camera pass through for that matter).

Not saying those things don't happen or that there aren't other things that need to be fixed, but compared to my experience with other new MMOs ToR seems extremely polished and rock solid. That makes me inclined to think they will fix the issues that are there as quickly as they can.

Now, when is the Mass Effect MMO coming out?

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »

Are you guys still playing as empire on a server and if so which one?
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »

I have a low level Agent on Elysium.

I think she's only like 4th or 5th level.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

This just in: Update 1.2 takes a long time to d/l.  smirk You could probably run out and catch "Cabin in the Woods" at a theater while you're waiting.  Bring your own! It's not THAT bad, just takes a while.

I'm gonna at least check on the server GT Guild was on, to see how the new guild storage works.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:31:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:04 AM »

3 or 4 us just started empire on rubat crystal
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »

Logged onto my Consular  and noticed I needed to re-assign skill points and I logged off.  I just don't have it in my anymore to play

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 16, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 16, 2012, 10:23:59 AM

Logged onto my Consular  and noticed I needed to re-assign skill points and I logged off.  I just don't have it in my anymore to play
This was presumably cause the 1.2 update made major balancing changes and they want to give you a chance to re-allocate. If that's too time-consuming, you might try a lower lev character. My early teens one only needed to allocate a couple of points.

imho though, the trouble with revisiting an mmorpg I've played to death for a while is I just can't stomach going through all the exact same content (broken up slightly by different class content) all over again. I put in an hour or so Saturday, then realized I was just trawling through the same Coruscant quests for about the 5th time, and lost interest.

Some mmorpgs I've just loved the actual gameplay so much (City of Heroes, for 2-3 years), that I really don't mind going through all the same missions/quests again. But I don't think swtor's gamplay, much as I did like it, quite grips me enough to get through going through all the same stuff several times.

I think I'll just hafta work on some Empire characters if I want to get back into the game.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:03:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »

I finally officially bailed on this earlier in the week. I really had only played sparingly since I finished the Jedi Knight's final boss. I give kudos to this MMO for being the most solo friendly, story driven, least grind laden MMORPG ever (at least in my experience). But, I essentially just played this as a single player RPG, and frankly I would have just rather played a single player RPG. While it would have had 1 story instead of 8, it would have been a better, more rich story, and there would not have been as large a gap between key plot moments.

I guess I am saying what others did when this was first announced. I would have much rather they made a KOTOR 3 than this, despite the fact that I got a lot of hours of enjoyment from this. Sadly, I doubt a KOTOR 3 is coming any time soon, if at all.

Whining aside, this was a very solid B game, and it managed to entice me back into a genre I had sworn I would never revisit if a monthly fee was involved, so they must have done something right....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

I bailed on it as well. Having to put all my skill points back into my Vanguard was more effort than I wanted to put in the game. I understand why they refund it, but I was waiting for the patch to play again and had little interest by that point, so that was the last straw. I certainly enjoyed my time with it, but I also think I am just done with sub MMOs.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »

Quote from: JCC on April 28, 2012, 01:47:29 PM

I finally officially bailed on this earlier in the week. I really had only played sparingly since I finished the Jedi Knight's final boss. I give kudos to this MMO for being the most solo friendly, story driven, least grind laden MMORPG ever (at least in my experience). But, I essentially just played this as a single player RPG, and frankly I would have just rather played a single player RPG. While it would have had 1 story instead of 8, it would have been a better, more rich story, and there would not have been as large a gap between key plot moments.

I guess I am saying what others did when this was first announced. I would have much rather they made a KOTOR 3 than this, despite the fact that I got a lot of hours of enjoyment from this. Sadly, I doubt a KOTOR 3 is coming any time soon, if at all.

Whining aside, this was a very solid B game, and it managed to entice me back into a genre I had sworn I would never revisit if a monthly fee was involved, so they must have done something right....

I have mixed feelings. I'm mostly playing it as a single player RPG (although my JK has played through a good half-dozen flashpoints with the Qt3 crew).  But if it had been just a single-player game, we would have had one story and it would have been the Jedi Knight one.  IMO the fact that we've got all these new perspectives on the KOTOR/SW universe is a great thing.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »

I clawed, scratched and groaned my way to 46 on a dps-Commando........and have stabled tons of other alts. I just don't think I can get to 50.
Enough has been said pro and con this game. My final thoughts on SW:ToR is that regardless of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent, it could have used another year in the oven.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 29, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

I clawed, scratched and groaned my way to 46 on a dps-Commando........and have stabled tons of other alts. I just don't think I can get to 50.
Enough has been said pro and con this game. My final thoughts on SW:ToR is that regardless of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent, it could have used another year in the oven.

Do you really think that would have made a difference?  The things that I like about SWTOR it mostly did pretty well.  The things that people don't like about it were baked in from the start (mostly it's WoW cloneness).  Another year wouldn't have helped.

The user interface would have been better, sure, but I don't think that's the main issue why some people don't like the game, and now it is better.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 30, 2012, 11:14:48 AM

Do you really think that would have made a difference?  The things that I like about SWTOR it mostly did pretty well.  The things that people don't like about it were baked in from the start (mostly it's WoW cloneness).  Another year wouldn't have helped.

The user interface would have been better, sure, but I don't think that's the main issue why some people don't like the game, and now it is better.

So you feel the end game content is sufficient for a major title release?

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 30, 2012, 12:00:50 PM

Do you really think that would have made a difference?  The things that I like about SWTOR it mostly did pretty well.  The things that people don't like about it were baked in from the start (mostly it's WoW cloneness).  Another year wouldn't have helped.

I couldn't say, I'm not much of an end game player.  I've started up several instead alts.  But there can never be enough end-game content.  It all goes stale sooner or later.

I guess I haven't heard many complaints about the end game.  Mostly I hear complaints that the game is a WoW clone and that the quest and map design is very old school.  Those aspects would not have changed with an extra year, and that would have been an extra year for the game to fall further behind the curve on the most modern designs.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »

When i find an MMO that had/has sufficient end game on release Ill let you know. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 30, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 30, 2012, 01:08:12 PM

Do you really think that would have made a difference?  The things that I like about SWTOR it mostly did pretty well.  The things that people don't like about it were baked in from the start (mostly it's WoW cloneness).  Another year wouldn't have helped.

When i find an MMO that had/has sufficient end game on release Ill let you know.  
Why expect more from a big company putting in hundreds of millions...doh, silly me. And in my opinion this has less features and end game content than most of the triple-A games released. But far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade. Its just a huge let down for me. And the content issue is only one point of the ice-berg. There is so much that could have been instituted at the beginning, or it was done half-arsed in the game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:04:16 PM by Arclight » Logged

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

I've been lucky in that I've been able to play the game consistently with a friend, which makes it MUCH more entertaining as we wind our way through our stories, find datacrons, do PvP and FPs, and even share crafted items.  If I were stuck doing it alone, I think I'd have moved on by now as well.  It really is a fun game that shines when you have someone to adventure with, and you only need one person.  More than that gets cumbersome, unless you are doing FPs.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »

I cancelled today and noticed I have 49 days of play time left. I forgot about the free 30 days they gave some accounts. I didn't check to see if I was one. I doubt I'll be using those 49 days, but who knows maybe a miracle patch between now and then. And no, I don't believe in the tooth fairy.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »

I can't believe how much content is in this game.  After taking a break to play Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur, I jumped back into SWTOR after the 1.2 patch, and have been focussing on finishing the main story with my powertech bounty hunter.  He's on Hoth now.  There have been several times when I'm mentally done with a planet after doing many hours of quests, only to have even more quests pop up, and then a bonus series.  Unfortunately, I think all of that content can work against the pacing of the game.  I've found myself leaving planets never wanting to look back (Taris).  Some of the planet bonus series have been awesome, with summer blockbuster like endings and resolutions, but by that point I'm mentally ready to move on to the next world.  

While I think less content with a faster narrative experience would have served my interest (and attention span) better, I'm still amazed by how much content there actually is...especially considering all of the voice over work.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 03, 2012, 04:03:40 PM

I can't believe how much content is in this game.  After taking a break to play Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur, I jumped back into SWTOR after the 1.2 patch, and have been focussing on finishing the main story with my powertech bounty hunter.  He's on Hoth now.  There have been several times when I'm mentally done with a planet after doing many hours of quests, only to have even more quests pop up, and then a bonus series.  Unfortunately, I think all of that content can work against the pacing of the game.  I've found myself leaving planets never wanting to look back (Taris).  Some of the planet bonus series have been awesome, with summer blockbuster like endings and resolutions, but by that point I'm mentally ready to move on to the next world.  

While I think less content with a faster narrative experience would have served my interest (and attention span) better, I'm still amazed by how much content there actually is...especially considering all of the voice over work.

I think they should have gone with more planets which were smaller-sized.  The planets do have a tendency to wear out their welcome about 2/3rds of the way through IMO.  I do like what they started doing towards the end where they have you come back to the planet later for a bonus series of missions.  It's not like I don't like Hoth (I loved it) it's just one wants a break from all that snow to do something else before coming back to it later.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: May 21, 2012, 04:24:09 AM »

Amazingly, this game is just about dead.

There is one server that everyone has flocked to because all the other servers are ghost towns. It is just astonishing how poor a job BioWare has done. They had way too many servers and now it has bitten them in the ass. People aren't playing because the servers are empty and so that makes the servers even more empty. Around mid afternoon on a Sunday there were around 24 people on the fleet on my server. There is pretty much no chance to find a group for anything, from leveling up to the level 50 content. PvP queues are taking forever, with 1-2 level 50 games going on at a time. As a PvP'er, in the 6 months since release the only new content they've added is 1 warzone which is pretty much a carbon copy of an already existing warzone. They've actually removed other PvP content that was out there (Ilum) because it was so poorly designed.

I don't want to say the sky is falling or anything, but at this rate I will be astonished if they have more than 500k subscribers when EA has their next report. No doubt they have enough funding to continue, but this is going to be a massive failure if they don't get their asses to work quickly.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »

Its nowhere near death, but I realize this is the Internet and stuff like that goes with the territory.

That said - There has never really been that many on the servers which I remember was always something of a mistake in my eyes. It only means that really fast there will be servers where you rarely see people. Hell, once you got off the starting planets the first month, you only really saw a lot of people back on Fleet because of the weird way the server was structured in layers.

You did say the sky is falling, btw - Its in the very first line you write ;-)

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: May 21, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »

Roll Eyes

They obviously have enough funding behind the game to keep it going a long while, even while losing a ton of subscribers. In that sense it's nowhere near death.

But it doesn't matter how much you ignore the facts and dismiss it as "internet stuff", a game of this size having empty servers with everyone flooding to 1 server 6 months into the game is not a good thing. Having to give every subscriber a month of free game time does not indicate a healthy game either.

Last night in primetime on a weekend on my server, which was one of the more popular servers, there were around 24 people on the imperial fleet, which is by far the most populous side. That's dead, to me.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: May 21, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

Your anecdotal evidence is facts now? Permit me to  Roll Eyes right back at you!

I'm sure we will see soon, but the Sky is falling crying over every MMO, practically before its launched is getting tiresome by now.

Of course the game will lose subscribers, a lot of them! Every MMO does. What matters now is what they do to make people keep playing. They still have a substantial playerbase, and some interesting months ahead of them in regards to how to make the game stay profitable.

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: May 21, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »

Like a lot of things in life I can really only go on "my" own experience. I started playing SW:ToR with the head start group. I just recently cancelled due to the current state of the game.
My server is, for sake of this debate, dead. Not just a slight change, but a huge noticable drop off. You can be on the latter Planets on weekends with 4 other people. Belsavis, Ilum, Corellia...I never bump into anyone unless I go to fleet..which at prime time has numbers in the 20's.
To try and come up with answers that are anything other than a rapid decline in a player base would be a very big stretch in deed.

I didn't have any unrealistic expectations for this game, it came on my radar much later than most. But even though I wasn't caught up in the hype, the game was still a huge disappointment for me...Bioware + Star Wars + Million's of dollars = Pure win..........right?.............Wrong!

I really feel they dropped the ball big time. And I can see the evidence of it when I log in.  A dead, sterile World with no life seen anywhere.

It will probably go down as the  biggest flop in MMO history. If you take into consideration the money and time spent on an IP that is pure gold by itself.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:11:53 PM by Arclight » Logged

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »

MMO's lose subscribers, but I don't think you ever saw WoW servers with less than 100 people on them total.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

WoW is a special case, one which you really shouldn't compare yourself with, as an MMO :-)

Archlight - I agree with you. The game isn't very fun. Its quite polished and well done, but its extremely on rails. I do remember...wasnt it actually Cheeba that in the closed beta talked about how much on rails the game was? There really isn't ANY sort of deviation you can do when you make your character. Its a strictly linear procession, and that kills any fun for me. As many others have mentioned, the amazing amount of possibilites in Starwars Galaxies was what made the game interesting. This - a lot less so.

I'm a big fan of sandbox games though, and I know not many are, so your mileage may vary of course.

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: May 22, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

And it's looking like layoffs have hit the SWTOR team. From Greg Zeschuk on the swtor forums:
Hey folks, since you’re reading this you may likely have heard that we’ve done some restructuring here on the SWTOR team. Sadly, we are bidding farewell to some talented, passionate and exceptionally hard-working people who helped make SWTOR a reality. Impacting people’s lives this way is always very hard, but we’re ensuring the affected people are treated with dignity, fairness and respect.

Looking back at launch, we all came together and did something historic. We executed one of the largest, most successful and stable launches of any MMO yet in industry history. That is not an easy feat for any development team or company and we are humbled and honored by our fan community’s strong support both at launch and beyond.

Looking forward, the studio remains vibrant and passionate about our many upcoming initiatives for Star Wars: The Old Republic. We still have a very substantial development team working on supporting and growing the game, and we feel we are in a strong position, with your continued involvement and feedback, to continue to build Star Wars: The Old Republic as one of the most compelling and successful online experiences in the world today. There are many strong initiatives planned for cool new content and new features that we’re excited to tell you about in the upcoming weeks and months.

Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come.

Thanks,
Greg and Ray
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

My free month is petering/has petered out while I am distracted with D3. I like the game, but again I played it as a single player game. I doubt I will return to it unless/until it goes F2P, and even then only if I can still experience the entire storyline for each class.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: