http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 09:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 131298 times)
Biyobi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 10, 2012, 07:18:35 PM

Which reminds me; since this is the first MMO I've ever played I run into a lot of shorthand and acronyms that seem to exist only in the MMO domain.  Usually, I can figure them out (like LFG = Looking For Group) but one that I've seen quite often is LFM.

What is LFM?  Looking for more? 

Correct.  They've already got a partial group together and they need to flesh it out.

I think Bioware made the game too fun for the altoholics.  I'm having a hard time finding people for groups in the higher level areas but the lower levels are usually packed (at least on my server). mad
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: February 10, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »

Cool.  Thanks.

I think Bioware made the game too fun for the altoholics.  I'm having a hard time finding people for groups in the higher level areas but the lower levels are usually packed (at least on my server).

Another side effect is that it's very easy when hitting a difficulty wall (like I did with my low-40's Trooper and Smuggler) to just go, "fuck this, I'm gonna go roll up a [whatever]."

So now I have five alts.  Two low-40's, two mid-20's, and a level 10.

Now I never know who I want to play when I log on.  smile
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:09:40 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »

I must have been lucky as I never had any issues killing anything on my way to 50.  Trust me when I say I am not the min/max type.  That being said, I got up to 50 pretty quickly and found nobody really doing anything on Ilum.  I haven't played very much in the last few weeks since I hit 50.  I thought I would make an alt, but now that I am faced with it, I am not sure if I want to start over or not.  I want to take my badass Vanguard and whoop ass with people in Flashpoints, but I hate that you have to go to the Fleet and try to get a group that way.  I went through the same thing in WoW.  Once they put in the dungeon finder, suddenly I was playing WoW again.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

Blackadar, Thanks for you snide comments.  If ever I need to be rude, judgemental and immature then I will remember you words finger
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on February 10, 2012, 09:00:16 PM

Blackadar, Thanks for you snide comments.  If ever I need to be rude, judgemental and immature then I will remember you words finger

You're welcome.  And if anyone needs a lying, sniveling spammer as a partner in ToR, they now know to seek you out.  Thanks for outing yourself and have a nice day!  

Shit, no wonder he couldn't get a group...     icon_lol

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: February 10, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 10, 2012, 01:47:25 PM

Quote from: Chordian on February 10, 2012, 10:13:01 AM

Hit level 50 yesterday and I also didn't have any problems with Voss on the Republic side.

Well, I guess I'll give it another shot today, but there is a big thread about it on the forums and several people logged on to my server were having the same issue and talking about it in chat. In fact, one of the weird things about the quest is that it couldn't be abandoned, only reset.

Tried again with the same result - guess it's alts for a while. On the positive side, I'm farther into Torchlight than I've ever been before biggrin

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: February 10, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

alright Blackadar, lets stop with the insults.  What actually  happened and what was reported by people playing the game could be a different story.  You weren't there.  Even so, I think you need to lighten up.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

Been playing since the week after Christmas. I don't have many thoughts on how this game measures up to MMO's since I am basically playing it as a single player game. It certainly has a good enough story for a single player game which is an accomplishment. I wouldn't say it's on par with the first 2 KOTORs, but the story was still very fun. I just sort of resent having to pay a monthly fee when I would be more than happy to play it offline, alone. Oh well.

I have a level 50 Jedi Knight. I am at the final fight of the class story against (spoiler), and I just can't even come close to winning it. I hope they really do patch it to make it easier like they said they would. I know some people have done it, and I have watched a youtube of someone doing it, but I just can't even get close.

In the meantime I started a Sith alt. Really looking forward to being an evil, vicious bastard after playing my goodie two shoes JK. I also may start up a Smuggler. Having said all that, I can see me cancelling soon as I was getting burned out on the JK storyline. Also have a huge backlog of console games not getting any attention.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

I've quit the game. I had about 6 characters anywhere from 22 to 34. I just couldn't play the game any longer. I tried with each new alt to get to 50...but at around 20 I was so sick of so much of the core game that it became very mundane and boring. Getting around started to feel like a grind for crying out loud.. crybaby

This goes down as the shortest lived triple-A MMO I've subscribed to. I even played STO longer........Man, that's gotta tell ya something.. eek

But I've got some quality games I've barely touched sitting on the HD. I'm playing KoA and loving it. Restarted a new character on Skyrim. I'm learning a new "copter" sim-lite. Turn-On Helicopters, really a pretty good sim-lite. I like firing up Train Sim 2012 and look at the sights while the old steamers chug away. Mass Effect 3 in a month.....So stopping ToR felt just like
finishing up a poorly done single player game. What a waste of a tremendous IP......Bioware play to your strength. MMO's aint it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:19:48 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2929 on: February 11, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »

Quote from: JCC on February 10, 2012, 10:55:43 PM

I have a level 50 Jedi Knight. I am at the final fight of the class story against (spoiler), and I just can't even come close to winning it. I hope they really do patch it to make it easier like they said they would. I know some people have done it, and I have watched a youtube of someone doing it, but I just can't even get close.

I feel your pain. I did the last class story boss for Jedi Consular yesterday, and it was also rock hard. At least until I discovered that an effect I thought was "get out of the fire" later turned out to be "interrupt his ability to create the 'get out of the fire' situation" instead. Even so, I died about 10 times with a tank companion because the boss did so much damage that I wasted too much time healing my tank companion up and too little time doing damage. To make matters worse, they've made it so the respawn-on-the-spot ability adds up time for repeated use. After a while I also broke my gear and had to go back to the medical droid anyway. Going back to the cave with the boss then had to go past two or three groups of standard enemies, which felt extra punishing since I really wanted to get into the action quickly again.

Then after the many deaths with the tank companion, I tried summoning my healer companion instead. It was like night and day. Suddenly the boss fight was completely easy mode and I killed him in one try almost without sweating. My healer companion healed me up so masterfully I barely had to support it with my own heals at all. I could pour a lot of damage and interrupts at the boss and in no time he was down. So my advice is to try with different companions. You might get lucky with a combination that works a whole lot better because it leaves you time to deal with something you didn't have time to do before.

That being said, and now that I've completed the story line for the Jedi Consular, I really think most of the SWTOR boss fights are way too difficult. Especially the end of chapter bosses. Some of them didn't feel remotely fun but quickly became something I had to get past. I imagine a lot of casual newcomers to SWTOR trying out an MMORPG for the first time, lured in by the great voice acting, the stories, and of course the Star Wars universe. They might never have a chance of passing these end bosses no matter how much they try, scaring them away for good. I really hope BioWare comes to their senses and tunes these bosses down a bit.

By the way, after killing the story end boss I read a thread on the official forum about this fight, and a few posters mentioned that the story end boss for Jedi Knight is even worse! icon_eek
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: February 11, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

Chordian, I couldn't help but chuckle at your (very well intended) advice. There are some spoilers about the Jedi Knight final battle below, so if you don't want to know don't read....
Spoiler for Hiden:
Summon another companion? That would be *lovely*. Sadly, the game forces you to use the first (and only the first) companion you get in the game - a droid tank. Sadly, I haven't used this character since I got my 2nd companion, (quite a long time ago). So, while this character isn't in the exact same equipment he had at the time, he is woefully under equipped for this battle. NOT TO WORRY! Bioware THOUGHT of this, so they put a puzzle which unlocks a chest that lets you upgrade the droid's equipment! One catch... It's BUGGED, so you can't OPEN the chest! So for a while now, Bioware has acknowledged the chest bug, AND that they think the battle at the end is too hard. Any ETA on fixing these problems? Nope. Am I irritated? Yep.

Having said that, even if my droid was wearing a cloak of invincibility, I still don't think I am skilled enough to win this fight. I just get damaged WAY too quickly, despite my best efforts to interrupt the most damaging attacks. Of course I wear down around half my health just trying to one-shot kill the duplicates which spawn at the start of the fight. I've considered respeccing my Guardian from a DPS build to a more Tank build, but from what I've read a lot of the more "tanky" Guardians can't finish this either.

You died ten times on your final fight? I have died at least 25 times on this fight. I have in fact died so much that while I entered this quest with 200,000 credits, I now have less than 20,000 left after dying, repairing, buying medpacs, and buying stims. So, trying to buy my droid equipment isn't viable unless I want to go off an quest for a while - which I don't.

I have read countless tips for winning the fight, and even read ways to "cheaply" win the fight with some exploits. I have been unable to pull them off. I think I once got him to around 40% health, but that's as close as I have made it.

Oh well. I am enjoying playing my Sith Inquisitor so far...

-John

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2931 on: February 11, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »

I can see it's a problem with such a limitation. Didn't know about that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Does the game tie your hands regarding a choice of companion?

The reason I ask is that the toughest boss in the Jedi Consular storyline happens on a ship where you have to rescue someone related to a new companion. As I entered the ship a red text on the screen told me that I "had" to use this companion because of this. Unfortunately I wasn't really compatible with that companion and I died 3 or 4 times before I managed to burn the boss down and win. Barely.

Afterwards, other players wrote on the official forum help thread that I didn't really have to use that companion. I could have switched to another, better companion, kill the boss, and then swap back to the story companion before clicking the quest NPC in the same room. If I'd tried that, I probably wouldn't have had such a hard time.

But I guess in your situation your hands are tied?

Quote from: JCC on February 11, 2012, 06:35:51 PM

Oh well. I am enjoying playing my Sith Inquisitor so far...

I've been thinking about starting an Imperial Agent as the next character. I've heard they have an interesting story.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:30:44 PM by Chordian » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: February 12, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

Quote from: Chordian on February 11, 2012, 07:36:19 PM

I can see it's a problem with such a limitation. Didn't know about that.

Does the game tie your hands regarding a choice of companion?
(spoilers trimmed)
But I guess in your situation your hands are tied?

(more mild spoilers about final JK fight)
Spoiler for Hiden:
No, I can't change him. You can not summon any other companions. They do all this for storyline reasons I won't get into here.

I actually went back and tried some more. I had hear resetting the instance could fix the chest and when I logged back in (and things had been reset), sure enough I could finally loot the chest. My droid does much better now (although he still has some empty equipment slots) and can stay alive a bit longer now. I tried another dozen times and failed. I did get close a couple times and got him down to around 25% health. The problem is that I can't do "well" consistently and sometimes I die with him with more than half health. Once he gets below 50% he has an attack that just WHIPS me. It's something I can interrupt, but I keep running out of interrupt skills (they are all cooling down) and I end up just as dead. Now I am literally broke and have to go kill monsters in the instance so I can get credits and repair my fragile armor. Frustrating.

I went on with the my Sith Sorceror, who in his early teens seems WAY overpowered in comparison to my Guardian. I have even taken down a couple of champions with my tank companion. I haven't made up my mind about going healer or lightning spec yet. Pretty fun.

-John

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: February 14, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »

While I'm still subscribing, I've played very little in recent weeks. Got this e-mail from Bioware the other day:
blackjackGT, you've already gone through a lot together so don't let Corso Riggs down. Log back into the game to continue your discovery of the galaxy with Blackjack or another hero.
I've already gone on and on about my issues with the companion system, and how it relates to surviving supposedly "solo-able" quest bosses and stuff.

I think beyond that I found too many zones post-Tatooine/Hoth to be generic, nondescript outdoor wildernesses full of what feels like generic, nondescript beasties and creatures to beat on. Too often it felt like I could just as well be playing WoW or Everquest or LOTRO in terms of some of the outdoor stuff.

I know we've all disagreed here about whether the game should be more about new zones and enemies we didn't already see in the movies, or if it should dwell more on environments and enemies we do know from the movies. I still side with the latter, and as the game moved into what was less familiar to me from the movies, I just became less interested. I realize others feel differently and maybe for them the game became better after Tatooine and Hoth.

I think it also disappointed me the game's engine doesn't appear capable of even portraying a single, animated AT-At or other mechanical walker. Is it really that hard to do in an MMO? I'm not saying it should be Planetside, but after a few dozen levels, the fact that every AT-AT type walker is either immobile or blown-up on the ground starts to feel distracting in a way.

I still think an LFG finder or even just an LFG system would help on the grouping. During my weekend Tera test I laughed out loud when I saw that game actually has an "LFG" channel. Not a perfect solution (like with any game in testing, there are a lot of obnoxious yahoos in it right now), but it seemed like a few people actually made use of it.

I'm kind of hoping if I stay away for a while, the 40-50 populace on my main server will become large enough to make forming groups a little easier.

Of course I've hardly gotten anywhere with Empire toons, nor with much of anything beyond my Gunslinger and a Trooper. I haven't scratched the surface of swtor. I just feel like I hit a brick wall at some point, where all the glee I was feeling during testing and the first several weeks after launch (to the point I ate dinner in front of my PC, constantly stayed up too late, got in trouble at work for coming in too late etc.), came to a grinding halt.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:50:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: February 14, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »

Yep, the bottom fell out of this MMO faster than any other I've played. Even the iffy MMO's from cryptic held my attention longer than ToR.
The Hero Engine is just terrible for this kind of game. Again a corner cut where they shouldn't have. Too much emphasis on voice-overs, waay too much.
Which led to the exclusion of much needed polish in other areas.
The world(s)are the most boring, souless non-atmospheric zones ever. The almost geometric placing of the 'trinity' of mobs. The lack of an online gaming world with at least some aspects to suspend disbelief is just not there, anywhere.

I don't think this game can come back from the corner of the gaming world. There is just too much core stuff missing. And again, the limitations of the engine will always be there.

I'm having more fun in KoA than I ever did in ToR.

300 million dollars? Yeah, me thinks someone is playing the shell game with those funds.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: February 14, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »

Today's patch fixed the Voss bug, thankfully.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: February 14, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »

Wife and I cancelled today as well.  Hit our mid-30's and for some reason the drive to keep playing stopped.  I enjoyed it up to about 30 though.  Once the planets got bigger, it seems like they became more stale.  Can't quite put my finger on why.  We might return in a few months time when the burnout goes away and we have more playtime again.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: February 14, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »

I'd agree with you on "Stale," although I felt like that happened for me a bit later (whenever the post Hoth zones are). Making a PVE MMO that's wall-to-wall fun is difficult. I've played all sorts of mmorpgs where some of the zones I loved and couldn't wait to visit again, and other zones were so boring or painful or un-fun, I'd actively try to avoid the zone altogether.

I think it's esp. tough given that they probably have different teams working on different zones and their content. Sometimes the funnest content seems to be mid-game, and as you get closer to the cap, it's as if a game's dev team runs out of inspiration. I go on about Tatooine too much but there were some very fun areas in there that I'd love to see more of in other areas.
===========

Penny Arcade's Gabe (like me, a ravenous enthusiast for swtor for months) apparently got really peeved with how one of his Jedi Consular storylines wrapped up...

[SPOILERS]
http://penny-arcade.com/2012/02/13/swtor3
Quote pasted into spoiler code:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I will put up with a lot of bullshit. Iíll run back and forth between these stupid spaceports but you have to meet me half way. I understand that there are all kinds of things MMOís do to extend playtime. But this was too much. There was absolutely no reason for me to go all the way back to the fleet. In fact they couldnít even be fucked to make up some half-assed reason to send me back there. It was so blatant and so insulting that I have not played the game since. That was probably two weeks ago and Iíve had no desire to log back in.

I recognize that these games represent a sort of player abuse, but at least tell me you love me after you slap me.
Certainly he quit playing for a different reason than me (mine was all about frustration with quest boss battles), but it really only takes one bad experience to want to turn off the subscription spigot.

I think I mentioned I had a quest boss encounter where I didn't feel the game made it clear to me that "hostilities would ensue." I thought it was just a routine conversation to conclude something. Instead it was a "trick" into a boss battle from hell, with me having the wrong companion out. That really, truly did upset me. And I think my dwindling of interest started there.

I did go for a 3-month sub. plan though, so I plan to stick it out at least that long.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:15:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »

One other thing that sort of struck me as I was thinking about the game earlier.  In WoW, I felt like I was in a world at war.  Zones seem designed to have the players criss-cross a bit, so I was always seeing horde camps / players as I was running about.

I never felt that or saw that in Star Wars.  I know there was another side, but as a republic player I never saw them.  Never noticed their camps.  Although maybe that started happening at later levels?  I guess it left me feeling like I know we are at war with the empire because I'm being told we are, but never felt like the world itself necessarily reflected that. 

I will say though, I loved the stories Bioware was telling. Playing with my wife I got to see both the Knight(which I played) and the consular(which she played) and both stories we're well done.  Also enjoyed a lot of the side areas.  Thinking after we take a break for a while we'll probably come back and finish the stories out at least.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »

I think it has benefited me that I have a friend who also git the game and weve leveled pretty much at the same rate.  So when we run into a particularly difficult class boss or quest, I have someone I can rely on to help get me over that hump.  I do believe one of the biggest issues the  SWTOR is facing is that WoW pretty much sucked the enthusiasm out of millions of people when it comes to MMO's.  Im not sure if its possible for most people to go into any MMO with out that stigma attached to it.    SWTOR found the answer for me in the form of an MMO that is heavily story driven and can be played either solo or in kind of co-op mode.  I dont know how it long the game will last for me but for now Im enjoying it for what it is and not worrying so much about what it isnt. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

One of the things it is, a fantastic story.  Bioware has proven, at least to me, that you can weave a really good story into an MMO.  I've really enjoyed that aspect of it.   Also , much like their other games, I felt as though I could really develop how my character interacts with this world.  For that to happen in an MMO setting is fantastic as well.  I think Bioware set some nice bars as far as interweaving story and character development into an MMO world. 

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: February 20, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

Up until about level 43 on my Smuggler I had been using Corso almost exclusively.

Then, for whatever reason, I decided to take Guss Tuno along with me and now use him all the time.  He's been a freaking riot!  I almost LOL every time we get into a battle and he bursts forth with his enthusiastic "WHEEEEEE!"

That fish-headed bastard has breathed new life into a character that I had almost quit playing.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: February 21, 2012, 03:23:49 AM »

Whoever designed the final JK boss is a big jerkface.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: February 21, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 16, 2012, 06:35:12 PM

I think it has benefited me that I have a friend who also git the game and weve leveled pretty much at the same rate.  So when we run into a particularly difficult class boss or quest, I have someone I can rely on to help get me over that hump.  I do believe one of the biggest issues the  SWTOR is facing is that WoW pretty much sucked the enthusiasm out of millions of people when it comes to MMO's.  Im not sure if its possible for most people to go into any MMO with out that stigma attached to it.    SWTOR found the answer for me in the form of an MMO that is heavily story driven and can be played either solo or in kind of co-op mode.  I dont know how it long the game will last for me but for now Im enjoying it for what it is and not worrying so much about what it isnt. 

Yep, this is a big issue with SWTOR -- they did a terrible job figuring out a way to get people to group together, and there needs to be more group content that is actually DONE in the game.  It's almost impossible these days trying to find someone to do the Heroic 4s on each planet as you level, and those are a wasted opportunity.  People just do their class stories to level as fast as possible, when in reality the content at 50 pales compared to any other established MMORPGs.  That being said, I'm still enjoying leveling at my own pace, because I know the grind at 50 is not what I'm really looking for in a game.

I was also surprised by the lack of foresight in level design.  I remember wandering through the "PVP" area on Nar Shaddaa and it was a ghostland.  An entire area that was just sitting there doing nothing, but for hosting 2 datacrons and one or two heroics that nobody does anymore.  So many small things could have made the game so much better.  It seems like the developers ran out of steam.

I'm starting to think that these kinds of games need to go back and try and use some of the UO formula rather than the EQ way of leveling.  The current "leveling" process used in most MMORPGs is simply flawed, and people just rush through content as quickly as possible to get to 50, therefore making much of the content the SWTOR developers spent their dollars on a waste.  Very sad.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »

That sound you heard was me hitting the wall on the final Smuggler boss.  At least I think he's the final boss.

Does the Smuggler story line end with the defeat of:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Voidwolf?

This guy kills me so fast it's ridiculous.  He has an attack that takes half my health and apparently it has a really quick cool down since I die within twenty-thirty seconds every time I've fought him.

Maybe it's because I'm Level 48 and he's a 50 but the last couple planets (Voss & Corellia) had NO side missions to allow me to level up beyond where I am at now.  I actually hit 48 as I was on his ship so wasn't able to hit the Trainer before taking him on.

While the last two planets had lots of quest givers they all indicated "You must complete more missions" so I could only do my class related quests.  Even Guss has had the mission triangle for the last few planets but I still get the "More Missions" message when I try to talk to him about it.

Time to pick up the Trooper again.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

Got the game installed on my new rig. Hoping to start my first character later today. Plan is to play on Canderous Ordo, possibly on Empire side, but not sure.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: February 23, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 23, 2012, 03:02:01 PM

That sound you heard was me hitting the wall on the final Smuggler boss.  At least I think he's the final boss.

Does the Smuggler story line end with the defeat of:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Voidwolf?

This guy kills me so fast it's ridiculous.  He has an attack that takes half my health and apparently it has a really quick cool down since I die within twenty-thirty seconds every time I've fought him.

Maybe it's because I'm Level 48 and he's a 50 but the last couple planets (Voss & Corellia) had NO side missions to allow me to level up beyond where I am at now.  I actually hit 48 as I was on his ship so wasn't able to hit the Trainer before taking him on.

While the last two planets had lots of quest givers they all indicated "You must complete more missions" so I could only do my class related quests.  Even Guss has had the mission triangle for the last few planets but I still get the "More Missions" message when I try to talk to him about it.

Time to pick up the Trooper again.

I am having sort of a similar issue with the final JK boss (see above), although I am at 50 and fully trained. The primary problem with this boss is that they force you to take a companion that no Guardian would have quested with, so it's completely undergeared. They tried to solve this by putting a simple puzzle in that rewards you with a full set of blue gear for the companion. However:

1. The puzzle is bugged, so you have to do it, go all the way back to the start of the area, reset the instance and the fight your way back again. OK - bugged, but you can still get the gear, but...
2. The gear is not a full set
3. The gear is green, not blue

This means your companion dies pretty quickly and contributes very little to the fight. There are a few people who claim they have beaten the boss without any trickery. Whatever, I guess they are 1337. Most people who have done it have done so by essentially LOSing the boss the entire time. It's very cheesy and even people who have managed it this way say it's very stupid design. I've watched videos and tried this trick but I don't seem to be coordinated enough to pull it off. In the end I will probably bring a friend to help me, which will be completely counter to the story (there is a reason you have to bring the one companion and no one else).

I've had a bunch of fun solo boss fights with my JK - one that required you to avoid a certain ability by the boss, some that required you to use interrupts, one where the boss would become invulnerable and spawn adds at 75%/50%/25%, etc. This one seems like they wrote it out on paper and never actually tried playing it (especially since the puzzle is still broken 2 months after launch).

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »

Yes, the final boss fight for the JK is ridiculously hard. I've ranted about it in the past. I have reached the point in this game, where I am ready to move on (though I definitely see me coming back for a month to play an alt later on), but I really REALLY want to beat this jerk before I quit. I had tried and failed so many times that I was out of credits and had armor on the point of breaking and couldn't afford med packs or stim packs. So, last night I logged in and went around the level killing mobs for credits. Sadly, I died a couple times which took some of my armor into broken status. So, after wiping out the level and still not having enough credits to repair everything, I fleet passed out of there. I decided to respec my guardian. I was a straight Vigilance DPS build, but i decided to go with a defense build - if for no other reason because I would get another interrupt skill. I then went back and worked my way through the entire area again which got me enough money to repair everything and take 2 cracks at him. Well, I failed both times, and am back to where I need to make some credits so I can buy a med pack. I might even leave again and look for better, player made med packs on the GTN. I like the new spec. I am MUCH more able to stand up to punishment, and I haven't sacrificed as much DPS as I would have expected. I think I *may* be able to beat him now. The problem is I tend to interrupt ANY spell he casts, instead of saving my interrupts for the crucial spell(s). I need to research exactly which one is the instant death spell and try to be more judicious about interrupting him. I read on the SWTOR forums some people say they don't do anything but hammer on him, and didn't even bother to interrupt him. Those people are lying or crazy or were fortunate to get some sort of bug with the fight IMO.

The thing that frustrates me about all of this is this: I played through the ENTIRE game playing the character the way I want, but this ONE fight has made me have to respec, reorganize my skill bar and play almost entirely differently than I played for the 50+ hours it took me to get to this point. I hate that kind of design. There are some out there who think this fight has already been nerfed from what it was, so I am no longer sure if they are going to patch it to make it easier or not. I just hate the fact that once he gets to the 30-50% health range he has this one spell that knocks you back and kills you instantly (I am guessing it takes out half your health or so). If you can't interrupt him, you're dead. So even though I got him down to around 30% last night and was not particularly low on health, he cast a spell, all of my interrupts were cooling down and BAM~! I'm dead. Very lame. I may punish Bioware for this by playing through some of the games in my rather large 360 backlog and wait to buy ME3 when it's reduced in price.

-John

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

Yup, I get hit by the insta-kill spell is well. I don't even see it being cast. Some people say it's a bug. Who knows.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »

I finally won the fight and completed Doomsday! Being judicious with the interrupts was definitely the key. While I did use a med pac, I actually had more than half my health when I won, which was surprising.

I must say it feels anticlimactic to get new quests on Ilum after this one - particularly since I can't get any more exp. I'm not sure I'll bother. Is this continued quest line worthwhile? Is the storyline good?

-John

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »

Quote from: JCC on February 26, 2012, 09:39:46 PM

I finally won the fight and completed Doomsday! Being judicious with the interrupts was definitely the key. While I did use a med pac, I actually had more than half my health when I won, which was surprising.

I must say it feels anticlimactic to get new quests on Ilum after this one - particularly since I can't get any more exp. I'm not sure I'll bother. Is this continued quest line worthwhile? Is the storyline good?

Tell me how you did it!

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: February 27, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »

Basically, I already did. The key is to interrupt his spells when he gets below half health, but not force lightning - let him cast that. I buffed myself up with Enure, shields, etc. before the fight. Then I attacked him. I ignored the fakes entirely. At one point I used a med pac and then he was down to half health. I kept my force kick and hilt strike abilities free so I was able to do 2 quick interrupts when he tried casting stuff with his health low. Other than that I just hammered on him with everything I had. T7 helped too (he was barely scratched). It's not much different than what I had read people say to do on the SWTOR forums, I just finally managed to save the interrupts for when I really needed them. I can't really explain how this time I was able to do it when I couldn't before, except for the fact I didn't burn my interrupt skills early and was a little better about not wasting them late.

-John

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: February 27, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »

Well, that got it done, thanks. It was basically what I was doing before, but maybe I was being to liberal with the interrupts. I also took all of T7's threat generating abilities off, which probably helped with dps.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2953 on: February 27, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

Quote from: JCC on February 26, 2012, 09:39:46 PM

Congratulations! So, how many times did you attempt it before you finally succeeded?

As far as I remember the groups get bigger in the storyline on Ilum, so watch out. There's also a boss in the end of one dungeon that will call upon any previous group of mobs you haven't cleaned out, so make sure you clean up the dungeon before you attack her. I was killed once (or was it twice?) because of this. The most ridiculous thing was that I had a suspicion that BioWare might do this while leveling up, so I often cleaned out boss areas before trying the boss. And then finally on Ilum I slacked, thinking they probably wouldn't do it anyway, and then they went ahead and did exactly that. I always have bad luck with these things.

The final gold boss on Ilum killed my tank companion and myself (got close though) in the first attempt as well. Instead of trying multiple times with my tank companion I thought of the boss in the end of the Jedi Consular storyline and immediately switched to my healer companion instead. Again it was like turning on easy mode and he died pretty quickly.

After checking out the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis once, I leveled an Imperial Agent to level 16, a Trooper to level 10 and a Sith Inquisitor to level 11 just to see the last planets. Among these classes I was particularly disappointed in the Sith Inquisitor, which I thought had an unnecessarily hard time on Korriban. Some of the later quests were one or two levels above me and I actually had to grind a level to keep up and not get killed too much. There was even one quest, "The Blood Legacy" (a boss is spawned after dropping a skull into a blood pool), where I was killed by the gold boss at level 6 and level 8. I only succeeded the third time when I returned with a new companion I had just acquired. I found a discussion thread on the official forum with the usual chess board "Too hard!" and "Very easy!" alternating posts, but some mentioned that the boss can glitch and sometimes be more difficult than it should be.

After having seen all the planets I unsubscribed. That's enough for now.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on February 27, 2012, 11:37:04 AM

Congratulations! So, how many times did you attempt it before you finally succeeded?

Wow, I have lost count... 30s, 40s?

Thanks for the tips on Ilum. I think I do want to grind through that planet and finish the Class questline for my JK.

-John

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »

I would not be surprised if SWTOR's subscription base is 1/3rd of what it was at peak now. I'm lucky that my guild is doing OK, but I leveled up a healer and I literally could not find groups for the flashpoints. I think I only did 2 of them, though I tried to find groups for all of them. It's not good when a healer cannot find groups.

PvP'ers are quitting left and right. I think BioWare made a huge mistake by ignoring PvP in the beta. I read somewhere that BioWare said they were surprised by the amount people were participating in PvP in the game. There is no excuse for that, considering the huge amount of PvP that happened in beta.

They have also seriously stumbled with the community aspects of the game. There are no added community features in this MMO. They even refuse to foster community through server forums. The themepark design of the game limits interaction.

I hate to be one of those people, but I think this game is already in a decent bit of trouble.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: February 28, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »

Hard to think they are in that much trouble yet.  As of February 1st they had 1.7 million active subscribers.  Everytime I try one of these games out guilds usually fall apart after the first month or so, so they fact that mine and others I see still have about the same number of people logging in 2 months into this is a decent sign.  I imagine there is and will be drop off in numbers, but I think it's a bit early to say they are in trouble.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: February 28, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »

I went ahead and let another 3-month subscription charge trigger the other day. I hope to resume playing, but I'm having too much fun with Kingdoms of Amalur. icon_smile

I don't really know a remedy for my frustrations (L40s boss battles, running into anger management types in my higher level Flashpoint teams, certain environments just not seeming very interesting to me, etc.). I am pleased they're apparently going to finally reduce some of that needless hoofing required in terms of getting to/from your ship.

While "quality of life" and UI improvements are nice, I read all the cool stuff being tried in Guild Wars 2 (esp. the Events), and envision all that mixed together with some of Rift's Invasions, and SWTOR's "paint" (voicework, animations, dialogue, etc.).

It's not happening, but I think that would've been an mmorpg I'd want to play for a long time. That might've been fresh, innovative, exciting and yet still have all the gloss Bioware indulged on SWTOR.

Oh well, I'm becoming one of those people I complain about who can only complain that something isn't like other games. I'm a hypocrite, as it turns out!  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »

First time i really read the thread here in a long time....glad i wasn't waiting for GT impressions or something...you guys make the game sound horrible and i'm seriously enjoying it still and look to continue to for a long time yet.

Playin with the GWJ guild which has had its share of folks drop away, yea, but still quite active and we've managed a couple operations most weeks and new folks still joinin and leveling up.  Our server's pretty busy.  Usuaally groups forming in prime time and weekends for all sorts of normal and heroic flashpoints and a number of opportunities for pugging in operations even.

PVP is pretty active, queues usually not long, and lots of pvpers.

If anything they just created too many servers...they have sooooo many.  don't believe for a moment the game is in trouble yet though.  I've seen this shit happen in every mmo where folks grumble and quit after a couple months.  Usually i'm one of em and have quit by this point.  Everyone wants the whole world and really oughta know better than to really expect it.  The next game on the horizon always has greener grass.

Most of folks complaints are probably gonna end up addressed bewteen 1.2 and 1.3 anyhow.

Whatever... keep gripin...never been an MMO that launched with everything perfect or anywhere near it.

This is a good game as far as mmos go.  One of the best launch titles for casual gamers and gamers who love story content in their games too.

I got a level 50 juggernaut tank (all t2, been on about 8 normal op attempts/runs so far), a level 44 BH Mercenary DPS (focusing on pvp, currently valor 37), a level 26 sniper DPS, and a level 18 Marauder so far on Keller's Void.  And at least 50% of the issues i have with teh game are promised to be fixed in the upcomin 1.2 patch which looks like it'll be pretty huge when it arrives.

Level 21 legacy level...lookin foward the release of unlocks and cool stuff in that system.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: February 28, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »

Oddly enough, when I logged into Canderous Ordo on Sunday evening there was a queue.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: