http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 130698 times)
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

Limiting what faction you can choose to play would be far worse than any of the issues youve mentioned.  They may need to figure out balance issues but forcing customers to choose a faction they dont want would create a huge negative public reaction.  Hopefully Bioware/EA is smart enough to not implement such a draconian policy.  Of course I doubt whatever they try to do is going to satisfy everyone, so I expect PVPers to complain regardless.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: January 27, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »

Did my sage's first mission impersonating a Sith, infiltrating Empire territory. I found it amusing that she started speaking with an English accent when trying to bluff past the guards. Wonder if there are impersonation style missions for any of the other Republic classes.  And hmmmmm, does that mean Empire classes impersonating as Republic drop the english accent?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: January 27, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

Quote from: raydude on January 27, 2012, 02:34:11 PM

And hmmmmm, does that mean Empire classes impersonating as Republic drop the english accent?

Yeah the Imperial Agent will talk with kind of a funny Americanized accent.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 26, 2012, 11:46:22 AM

FPS Tweak
Using this tweak on the laptop means I can now pvp in warzones.  Thx for pointing it out ericb!  my desktop is still struggling, but it's a start.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

You know, I wonder what "wanna wonga" and "ni bobo" mean in that alien language. Because they say it in almost every sentence.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:14 PM »

That was a huge pet peeve of mine in the prequel movies.  They used the same freaking foreign words that we already new and tried to put new meanings to them.  It was lazy.  I gotta give points to Star Trek for actually developing a workable Klingon language.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 31, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »

ni bobo wanna wonga Teggy, ni bobo wanna wonga
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 31, 2012, 03:50:01 AM

ni bobo wanna wonga Teggy, ni bobo wanna wonga

I appreciate it Hark, but I really don't like you in that way.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

ni bobo wanna wonga  crybaby
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »

We know what pudu means.  Probably the only alien word that actually means something.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 31, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »

Been playing exclusively as a Empire character but figured I'd check out the Rebellion to see how they start off. I tried making a good aligned Jedi Knight but quickly found its hard being nice after being so bad previously. So I created a Jedi Consular and I'm playing that evil. I gotta say its a lot of fun. I'm so rude to everyone, lie, bloodthirsty, and am not in tune with the ways of the Force. Yet everyone is still so civil and patient with me. It's quite a bit of fun.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: February 01, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

Finished chapter 1 of my Jedi Knight last night. It felt pretty good to do it at appropriate level instead of steamrolling it 5 levels above like my trooper. The trooper story started off well, but I have to say overall the JK story was 100 times better.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: February 02, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

I've been at lvl 28 w/ my jedi sage this week, bringing Theran along instead of Qyzen for a change of pace. Theran started off with a beard and stache. Then, after I hit 29 I decided to and buy Theran an orange chest armor w/ my Tatooine commendations. Next time I look at him he's lost the beard and has a 70's style stache. Has anyone else seen their companions change appearance like that?

I haven't tried seeing if his beard comes back with the old gear. I'll try that tonight.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »

Bought an open-faced helmet for my trooper and when I put it on him his chin curtain disappeared.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:03 AM »

When you unsubscribe from an MMO, do your characters typically get wiped out, or are they stored on the servers for a while?  If they're stored, what is the typical time limit?

I'm pretty much burned out on SWTOR, and between my crazy travel schedule (I'm home for 3 days out of the next 45) and the glut of other games coming out the next couple months, I have a hard time justifying $15/month for something that I won't be playing much, if at all.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: February 03, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »

most games leave your characters 'forever'

only one I've seen that doesn't is FFXI, which not only deletes your characters, but they require you to rebuy the game AND make a fresh account to start up again.  This would be why I never went back to it.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:57 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 03, 2012, 03:07:03 AM

When you unsubscribe from an MMO, do your characters typically get wiped out, or are they stored on the servers for a while?  If they're stored, what is the typical time limit?

When I went back to play Everquest about 7 years later my character was still in the same spot I left them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: February 03, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »

Here's a recipe for sucking the fun out of the game: quest as a fully specced tank with a healer companion. You never die but it feels like you are attacking the mobs with fine grain sandpaper icon_lol

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

I am going to unsubscribe too I think.   I haven't been putting in much time lately.   Playing other games and demos.

I like the pvp on this game.   Unfortunately, the PVE is still the same MMO style, I guess I am just burnt out on that type of playing.

But, may turn it back on in a month or free if I get the itch.  For now, I must prepare for a couple PS3 titles coming out this month.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 03, 2012, 02:47:58 PM

Here's a recipe for sucking the fun out of the game: quest as a fully specced tank with a healer companion. You never die but it feels like you are attacking the mobs with fine grain sandpaper icon_lol
Or, worse, quest as a fully specced healer with a tank companion.  Starts getting torturous in the early to mid 30s.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: February 03, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on February 03, 2012, 04:09:11 PM

Or, worse, quest as a fully specced healer with a tank companion.  Starts getting torturous in the early to mid 30s.

I've actually done this as combat med spec and I've done OK - however I am about 5 levels overleveled, so that might be part of it.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »

My first 50th was a tank-specced sith warrior (who always used healer companion) and I never felt like I was attacking mobs with a fine grain of sandpaper, especially after leveling up some other classes. (i.e. my warrior's DPS does not seem that far off my DPS alts other than the massive AE of my bounty hunter who can take out a whole group of weak mobs with one ability).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: February 04, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »

Quote from: Toe on February 04, 2012, 01:53:54 PM

My first 50th was a tank-specced sith warrior (who always used healer companion) and I never felt like I was attacking mobs with a fine grain of sandpaper, especially after leveling up some other classes. (i.e. my warrior's DPS does not seem that far off my DPS alts other than the massive AE of my bounty hunter who can take out a whole group of weak mobs with one ability).

That's surprising - at about 32 as JK you are forced to take the healer character and there was such a huge difference from the DPS companion. How have you geared your tank? Mine is very heavily weighted toward end and mitigation. Were you questing at level or somewhat over leveled for the mobs?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: February 04, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »

Kato's Powertech fully tank spec'd kills just fine.

My Assassin fully tank spec'd kills quickly enough too, but much slower than the Bounty Hunter.

Haven't tried the Juggernaut
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: February 05, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 04, 2012, 05:48:05 PM

How have you geared your tank? Mine is very heavily weighted toward end and mitigation. Were you questing at level or somewhat over leveled for the mobs?

Standard stuff, I focused on +defense stuff mainly, mixing in a tiny bit of +str here and there. I normally focused on defensive talents while leveling up. I leveled my cybertech slightly faster than my character level so almost always had blue armor plating and modifications ready to insert in all my armor/weapon when I reached the next upgrade level.

My next highest level is a sniper and he is 36th. For a pure DPS class/spec, he just is not putting out great DPS. That may change in the next few levels though as I get some good DPS talents up the tree. My bounty hunter is just 17 maybe, but still seems to do way more DPS than my other characters at that level when it comes to AEing weak mobs.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

My favorite character so far has been my Scoundrel, Scrapper spec.  With Risha, mobs die in seconds.  When I use Guss Tuno, I can solo anything in my level range (43) except for some of the wandering bosses in the heroic areas.  Guss is a beast of a healer. In PvP, even post nerf, I have no issues.  People die fast and I rarely get killed.  I'm not sure why so many people are crying about the Scrapper/Operative nerf.  OK, so we can not kill someone before the stuns wear off, but we are still very dangerous. 

My only complaint with Smuggler has been the story.  It seems so random.  The first act flowed well, but it was kind of boring.  The 2nd act has some very cool parts, but it just doesn't seem to flow well.  The Smuggler dialogue options are entertaining though.  Calling Darth Magus "Darth Mashface" gave me the giggles.  Whoever did the Smuggler voice acting is really good too in my opinion.  His delivery of the one liners is perfect.  The biggest beef I have though is with how fickle Risha is.  I always take her along on the important story bits, just because I like her story better than the other companions, and sometimes she completely contradicts herself.  She advised me to kill this Hutt I was talking to, so I took the dark side option and threw a grenade down his throat.  I lost -78 affection with her for it.  What the hell?  You just told me it was a good idea to kill him!  I know she doesn't like me killing innocent people, but this Hutt wasn't an innocent. 

Overall though I am really liking this game.  I doubt I will get into end game stuff, but this is the first MMO where I want to play all of the class and faction combos just to see the stories. 

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: February 09, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

A note to anyone getting into the high levels - the first planet story quest on Voss is bugged and you can't progress past it. Devs know about it but have not said when it's going to get fixed.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 09, 2012, 04:33:34 PM

A note to anyone getting into the high levels - the first planet story quest on Voss is bugged and you can't progress past it. Devs know about it but have not said when it's going to get fixed.

I assume this is on the Imerial side?  I don't recall running into any problems finishing Voss on the Republic side (or did they break something during one of their patches).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: February 09, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on February 09, 2012, 05:29:43 PM

I assume this is on the Imerial side?  I don't recall running into any problems finishing Voss on the Republic side (or did they break something during one of their patches).

No, this is on republic. It's possible it was working correctly then broken after you went through.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 09, 2012, 07:28:28 PM

Quote from: ydejin on February 09, 2012, 05:29:43 PM

No, this is on republic. It's possible it was working correctly then broken after you went through.

Must have broken it because I hit level 50 on the Republic side a couple weeks ago and had no issues with Voss.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2910 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »

Hit level 50 yesterday and I also didn't have any problems with Voss on the Republic side.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: February 10, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »

So I received the following email today

I have received your transmission regarding a spamming incident but I have noticed that it wasn't really spam but your were just shouting out that you are looking for a group. What caught our attention is the fact that you flooded general chat with your "shout", since you placed the exact same phrase at east on half a dozen consecutive lines which some of the other players found irritating.

I'm here to inform you to make your calls for a group in general chat a little less, like just about 2-3 lines only. It is considered flooding for now but more reports could change it to spamming.

What they are saying is that I am not allowed to type a LFG message in general chat more than 2-3 times in any given period of time.  Are you kidding me?  Here's the problem, my chat box fills up with comments from npc characters as well as comments from my companion.  I am assuming that other people have the same thing happen to them so if a LFG message is not sent every minute of so it's very possible that the first 2-3 LFG's will never be read by people that are also looking to group up.  Since they don't give me any details of my message I can only assume that I typed the same LFG a half dozen times (that's six times) in about a 5 minute period.  How anyone could be irritated by a LFG message in general chat and to report it as spam is stupid but for Bioware to investigate it and then decide that it's flooding is idiotic on their part.  Honestly, does Bioware want customers? 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on February 10, 2012, 10:13:01 AM

Hit level 50 yesterday and I also didn't have any problems with Voss on the Republic side.

Well, I guess I'll give it another shot today, but there is a big thread about it on the forums and several people logged on to my server were having the same issue and talking about it in chat. In fact, one of the weird things about the quest is that it couldn't be abandoned, only reset.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on February 10, 2012, 01:18:28 PM

So I received the following email today

I have received your transmission regarding a spamming incident but I have noticed that it wasn't really spam but your were just shouting out that you are looking for a group. What caught our attention is the fact that you flooded general chat with your "shout", since you placed the exact same phrase at east on half a dozen consecutive lines which some of the other players found irritating.

I'm here to inform you to make your calls for a group in general chat a little less, like just about 2-3 lines only. It is considered flooding for now but more reports could change it to spamming.

What they are saying is that I am not allowed to type a LFG message in general chat more than 2-3 times in any given period of time.  Are you kidding me?  Here's the problem, my chat box fills up with comments from npc characters as well as comments from my companion.  I am assuming that other people have the same thing happen to them so if a LFG message is not sent every minute of so it's very possible that the first 2-3 LFG's will never be read by people that are also looking to group up.  Since they don't give me any details of my message I can only assume that I typed the same LFG a half dozen times (that's six times) in about a 5 minute period.  How anyone could be irritated by a LFG message in general chat and to report it as spam is stupid but for Bioware to investigate it and then decide that it's flooding is idiotic on their part.  Honestly, does Bioware want customers? 

Sorry, but if you spammed LFG for half a dozen consecutive lines in general chat, then learn some self control and patience.   Sheesh.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

Really?

It's not like I typed in 6 LFG requests all at the same time or even seconds apart.  I'm not even given a log of the what happened and I can only assume that I entered the LFG request as I normally do... several minutes apart.  So what you and Bioware are saying is that I should enter a LFG request and then sit patiently for how long?  Should I wait 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 30 minutes?  Really, I don't know what is considered acceptable to most people but if seeing "LFG whatever" every few minutes in group chat is annoying to some then I'm obviously very patient because I see this done all the time when I play. 

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on February 10, 2012, 04:28:57 PM

Really?

It's not like I typed in 6 LFG requests all at the same time or even seconds apart.  I'm not even given a log of the what happened and I can only assume that I entered the LFG request as I normally do... several minutes apart.  So what you and Bioware are saying is that I should enter a LFG request and then sit patiently for how long?  Should I wait 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 30 minutes?  Really, I don't know what is considered acceptable to most people but if seeing "LFG whatever" every few minutes in group chat is annoying to some then I'm obviously very patient because I see this done all the time when I play.  

What you claim and their response isn't the same.

What caught our attention is the fact that you flooded general chat with your "shout", since you placed the exact same phrase at east on half a dozen consecutive lines which some of the other players found irritating.

If you managed to place the exact same phrase at least on a half a dozen consecutive lines in general chat, then you weren't waiting at all since chat scrolls by too quickly (as you yourself said) for "one post every few minutes" to end up as consecutive lines.  One of ya'll aren't telling the truth.  Frankly, given the detail provided in their response AND the fact that it must have been annoying enough for someone else to complain in the first place, the smart money is that you're the one who isn't.

So yeah, if you spammed LFG for half a dozen consecutive lines in general chat, then learn some self control and patience.  If you didn't, then perhaps the proper response would be back to Bioware regarding their "findings" and not on a general chat board.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:11:05 PM by Blackadar » Logged

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: February 10, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »

I was going to reply to this in a similar fashion to Blackadder, as my thought process seemed to mirror his on this.  Instead Ill just ask why you find it idiotic that Bioware is responding to complaints?  Clearly some people had issue with your alleged spamming.  I thought Biowares response to you was fine.  They made you aware that other people were irritated by your actions and requested that in the future you may want to adjust the frequency of your LFG messages.  Seems like a fairly tempered and proper response to the issue. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: February 10, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

I guess the question is what are consecutive lines?  If I typed a total of 6 lines of text in one evening then technically they are consecutive lines but not necessarily typed one after another in a short period of time.  I have no idea what Bioware is referring to because they did not give me any specifics other than someone complained about you.  The fact that someone complained does not mean that I'm guilty of doing anything wrong.  I did immediately ask Bioware to send me a transcript or more information of what they are referring to.   

Why do I think Bioware is being idiotic?  Bioware says that what I did was innocent and I simply was looking for a group but still says I am guilty of flooding the chat.  Flooding is when a person is intending to make chat unusable by constantly entering the same text over and over again.  I've seen what flooding is and six lines of text in a short period of time is not flooding in my opinion.   Bioware accused me of doing something wrong but did not provide me with any evidence of what I did.  Bioware does not provide it's customers with a good way to find a group without using the public chat tool and then complains when I use the public chat tool to find a group. 
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: February 10, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on February 10, 2012, 06:43:53 PM

I guess the question is what are consecutive lines?  If I typed a total of 6 lines of text in one evening then technically they are consecutive lines but not necessarily typed one after another in a short period of time.  I have no idea what Bioware is referring to because they did not give me any specifics other than someone complained about you.  The fact that someone complained does not mean that I'm guilty of doing anything wrong.  I did immediately ask Bioware to send me a transcript or more information of what they are referring to.   

Why do I think Bioware is being idiotic?  Bioware says that what I did was innocent and I simply was looking for a group but still says I am guilty of flooding the chat.  Flooding is when a person is intending to make chat unusable by constantly entering the same text over and over again.  I've seen what flooding is and six lines of text in a short period of time is not flooding in my opinion.   Bioware accused me of doing something wrong but did not provide me with any evidence of what I did.  Bioware does not provide it's customers with a good way to find a group without using the public chat tool and then complains when I use the public chat tool to find a group. 

Thou dost protest too much. 

This is a simple issue.  You spammed chat.  Someone complained.  They investigated and found enough of a problem to send you a very tame email.  Instead of manning up and moving on, you're acting like this is the inquisition and you're demanding a full re-investigation.  No MMO is going to give you that much information.  They don't have the time or money to put forth any more effort into this.  If you try to make this an issue, they'd just be better off banning you than spending any time on this because it's not worth their time.  Put on your big boy pants and quit whining.

In the future, if you look at general chat and see this, you're doing it wrong:

1. General > LFG NOOB INSTANCE

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »

Which reminds me; since this is the first MMO I've ever played I run into a lot of shorthand and acronyms that seem to exist only in the MMO domain.  Usually, I can figure them out (like LFG = Looking For Group) but one that I've seen quite often is LFM.

What is LFM?  Looking for more? 

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: