http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:00:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 128251 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: January 21, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 21, 2012, 02:05:12 PM

I took a moment this morning to browse the TOR forums.  Im seriously beginning to wonder if there isnt some kind of sponsored negative trolling campaign being supported by other interests.  I can understand that the game may not be everyones cup of tea but why do people waste their on the forums if they hate the game so much.
 When I left WoW, I just left.  I didnt jump on the forums and blast everyone who still liked the game for being idiotic sheep, suckling on Blizz's giant teat.  I moved on.  The absurdity of the majority of these hate posts is, I have to admit, bordering on hilarious though. 
 For example, I saw a post this morning declaring that SWTOR server populations are down by 70%.  The author was claiming mass cancellations due to the "free" month being up.  Of course the reality of it was he took his first population numbers from prime time last week and his second set of numbers was gathered at 7 am, on the US servers.  News flash:  at 7am on a Saturday morning Im betting at least 70% of the people in the US are still in bed. 
 Anyway, go tromp through the official forums sometime, its a helluva trip. 

Too busy playing to waste time on the forum!   icon_cool

morlac00 on PSN
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

I took a moment this morning to browse the TOR forums.  Im seriously beginning to wonder if there isnt some kind of sponsored negative trolling campaign being supported by other interests.  I can understand that the game may not be everyones cup of tea but why do people waste their on the forums if they hate the game so much.

The WoW forums have been bashing the game for 7 years even while millions happily played the game.  It just seems to be the nature of "official" forums.

Has anyone had trouble with the game crashing when you try to exit?  Since the last major patch when I hit exit it just hangs and I have to end-task to kill it.

It's not much of a problem at this point since I'm only logging in twice a week or so.  For whatever reason this game just isn't grabbing me.  I think part of it is the loot system - with orange gear drops become pretty meaningless and I'm a loot whore.

icon_neutral
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: January 21, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »

Its human nature to complain when we can. That said, with so much smoke there has to be some fire behind it. I'm not being paid diddly, and I agree with alot of the complaints at the official forums.
Also, when we like a game we think the moaners and complainers must be some subvertive group organized to pull down the game. When we dont like a game, we think all the lovers of it are Fanbois..and are paid by the game's developers to keep saying nice things.

I can only go on my assesment of the game. I'm bound to be in aggreement with some, and at odds with others. Nothing subvertive, just human nature.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Oh I dont disagree that there are issues with the game, hell WoW has been out for over 7 years and they still have issues, its the nature of the beast when you develop an MMO.  There are so many variables  involved.  I just find amusement in the way these things are presented in such a rabid mouth foaming manner.  I have seen intelligent negative posts but the people who post those generally state their opinion and then move on to what ever game they do enjoy.
 The particular case I mentioned got busted by another person on the forum as he pointed out that the guy had been in full beta and bitched and moaned about everything in the game for months, swearing he would never buy the game. And yet he still went out and bought the game.  Why?  I dont know.  Clearly if you hate the game with that much vitriol, why would you want anything to do with it?  Logic would dictate that an intelligent person wouldnt put themselves through such aggravation.  Thats why people start to suspect ulterior motives.
 Do I honestly think Blizzard is pushing some black ops forum wetwork?  No, that comment was to some degree made in jest.  Still, Ive seen some pretty underhanded stuff pulled by corporations and we are dealing with potentially several millions of dollars in subscriptions, monthly.  So yeah, I wouldnt be surprised to find out it was true, either. 

For my personal opinion, I like the game a lot.  I am not a PVPer so many of the issues I hear about, dont affect me.  I also have a fairly top of the line computer and have found the game to run very smooth and I  havent had a problem I would consider serious in any way.  There have been some minor graphics bugs but nothing that is in any way game breaking, just some minor annoyances.
    I havent had much of a problem grouping but then I run a republic side healer and Im sure that helps with that issue.  I enjoy the way the game is set up for leveling far more than I ever enjoyed WoW.  Clearly,  the methods SWTOR have employed work for many but for some, not so much.   In the end people will either continue the game or pass on it as something they dont want to drop their money on.  In the end what happens with subscriptions will determine the longevity of the game, whcih is as it should be.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: January 21, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on January 21, 2012, 04:04:09 PM

Has anyone had trouble with the game crashing when you try to exit?  Since the last major patch when I hit exit it just hangs and I have to end-task to kill it.

I haven't had it crash, but it makes my system very unhappy -- it seems to grab all the memory and not give it back up when I quit, so everything acts very, very sluggish even after I've quit SWTOR.   What I have discovered though is if I don't quit directly during a play session, but instead "log out" and go to the character select screen and then quit from there, my computer is much happier.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: January 21, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

I personally love the game.  I love the atmosphere, the setting, the music and the graphics.  There are some legitimate concerns though but it looks like the majority of them will be fixed very soon.  Almost all of my initial complaints will be gone once they fix the ability delay, introduce UI scaling, work towards texture fixes and implement the missing features of the GTN.  The only bad thing is Bio is taking Blizzard's route of nerfing PvE for PvP concerns.  I hate, hate, hate that.  You simply don't nerf 95% of the game to make the 5% more "even".  Check out 1.1.1 for what I'm talking about (sorry smugglers...you didn't deserve that much of nerf regardless of the complaints).  I vastly prefer the EQ2 method where skills and talents do different things PvE vs PvP.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: January 21, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

I don't understand why they nerf so many skills for the same effect.  The problem isn't the armor penetration, the damage of the opener AND the knockdown time.  No need to nerf all three at the same time, that's going to push it the other direction too far.

Tweak one and see how that affects things first.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: January 22, 2012, 12:44:20 AM »

republic is so fucked to get pvp gear in  this game.

the entire system is just retarded. i honestly want to know what bioware was thinking here. you can't even craft starter set so as a fresh 50 in pvp i'm getting 3 shotted left and right. people see me toss one heal and that's all i can do. probably just give in and spec dps til i get gear.

oh btw bioware, i fixed your warzone imbalance. make hutt ball a mix of players. throw your stupid lore to the wind since i'm pretty sure battles were fought in a hutt ball arena  anyways. at late nights it's impossible to pvp because it's always 5 republics and a full sith. the warzone just shuts down after 2 mins. i hope to fucking god that doesn't count as a win for the sith, because that's broken as fuck if it does.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: January 22, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »

Ya know, if Jersoc ever posted without using the word fuck or some derivative form of it, multiple times, I would pack my stuff and head for the hills, because surely the Apocalypse would soon be upon us!   icon_wink

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: January 22, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »

I think i would quit the internet if he posted something positive about any game without any qualifiers.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2850 on: January 22, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

It's better in the class forums (at least the specific ones). I go there to get my dose of slightly more mature posts of opinions and helpful suggestions. It seems to me that most of the single-minded haters are trolling around in the general discussion forum.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

What I find so amusing about the General forum is that it could have been cut and pasted from the Rift forums at launch.

x% of people complaining that they need combat parsing
x% of people complaining that they need an LFG tool
x% of people complaining that one side always wins warfronts
x% of people complaining that the servers are dying and need to be merged
x% of people saying they are going to leave

And then probably an equal amount of people on the other side of each argument (or in the case of the people leaving, people saying "can I have your stuff?")

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2852 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 23, 2012, 06:10:30 PM

What I find so amusing about the General forum is that it could have been cut and pasted from the Rift forums at launch.

x% of people complaining that they need combat parsing
x% of people complaining that they need an LFG tool
x% of people complaining that one side always wins warfronts
x% of people complaining that the servers are dying and need to be merged
x% of people saying they are going to leave

And then probably an equal amount of people on the other side of each argument (or in the case of the people leaving, people saying "can I have your stuff?")

Amen to that.

Another thing that's quite typical is when someone posts a thread about an encounter being too difficult and that it needs to be tuned down. Almost like a chess board the following posts alternates between "Agree, I have had a hard time with that boss too" and "I thought it was pretty easy. Make sure your companion is geared up and make use of your CC abilities" responses.

YMMV is stronger than the force in those threads.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:52:58 PM by Chordian » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »

Got the game over the weekend. Ended up getting the Digital Deluxe edition which said it required Origin to install. I've been trying to avoid installing another game client. So was surprised to find out that I never once got prompted to download it.

The install process for this game is madness though. You need an EA account and a SWOTR account. I had to enter in my address/subscription for both purchasing and creating an account. Plus the fact you have to have at least 3 security questions to create the account. Really?

But in any case I am loving the game. Made a bounty hunter and even got the name I wanted. Last night I got to the point where I was able to choose what final class you want. Mercenary tree looked perfect as I loved all the rockets and other ranged combat - plus a few heal abilities. Sweet! But I figured I would take a quick peek at the other tree just to see what its like. So I clicked on select....no inspect...shit....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!

You don't get a confirmation pop-up window to verify you are selecting that class you want. And there's no way in the game to reset the class.

So I'm back to creating a new character and replaying everything I just did. Gah!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 23, 2012, 06:55:17 PM

Got the game over the weekend. Ended up getting the Digital Deluxe edition which said it required Origin to install. I've been trying to avoid installing another game client. So was surprised to find out that I never once got prompted to download it.

The install process for this game is madness though. You need an EA account and a SWOTR account. I had to enter in my address/subscription for both purchasing and creating an account. Plus the fact you have to have at least 3 security questions to create the account. Really?

But in any case I am loving the game. Made a bounty hunter and even got the name I wanted. Last night I got to the point where I was able to choose what final class you want. Mercenary tree looked perfect as I loved all the rockets and other ranged combat - plus a few heal abilities. Sweet! But I figured I would take a quick peek at the other tree just to see what its like. So I clicked on select....no inspect...shit....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!

You don't get a confirmation pop-up window to verify you are selecting that class you want. And there's no way in the game to reset the class.

So I'm back to creating a new character and replaying everything I just did. Gah!

Powertech may be a better choice...I went powertech instead of mercenary too and never looked back.  You'll do the same dps, can survive more (I was taking equal level elites starting around 14) and your first companion can be used as a pocket healer for you the whole way to 50.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »

I kind of depends what you want to do. Mercenary can be a full healer and Powertech can tank.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »

My Smuggler>Gunslinger's to 48. I gotta remember to go buy my XS Freighter Flyby skill.  icon_cool

Finally got a couple others (Trooper>Commandos) to do a Heroic 4 (some rite of trial thing in a temple on Voss) with me Sunday. We struggled initially but worked out an order-of-targets that mostly worked. On the finale boss we simply had to resort to cheesy kiting, with one commando running in a wide circle like a chicken with its head cut off, while the other commando and I used low-dps attacks (so as to not draw aggro too often) as the end boss ran by us and our companion healer. It took forever and a day but did work. The boss had some crazy HP (like 175,000 or something) so it was sort of "wake me when he's close to dying."  icon_razz

I never feel terribly heroic doing things that way, but it often seems that without the perfect group make-up, you just gotta improvise.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:08:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

you can just call them commandos and gunslingers.  there aren't any non-trooper commandos for example
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 23, 2012, 09:15:28 PM

I kind of depends what you want to do. Mercenary can be a full healer and Powertech can tank.
I've played both into the 30's, and I prefer the run and gun, mobile playstyle of the Powertech.  The Merc is a great class with a lot of utility (I love the 60 second mez/sleep for removing 1 strong from a group fight), but I don't like standing in one spot.  Also, it started getting old watching him launch tracer missile.  Skill usage is supposed to get more interesting once Merc's get Barrage and Heat Seaking Missile, but I experienced enough to know the Powetech was a better fit for me. 

I think Powertech's are harder to play well, but it's more rewarding, with a lot of options for how to handle a fight.  The Powertech skill trees are more interesting (to me) than the Merc skill trees.  In fact, I only like 1 of the Merc's skill trees, which a lot of other people seem to like too, judging by all the Merc's I see launching tracer missile. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: January 23, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »

Powertech is very strong, case in point:  Kato plays one and he has never failed to play a seriously OP class in an mmo  ninja
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:27 AM »

Decided to give my Shadow a bit of a work out..been ages since I played him last. I'm on Alderaan working away at class missions. But I noticed something today after dinging 28. With my healer companion...the mouthy scientist with a cheeky holo named Holiday.. Roll Eyes I can put down elites 2 levels higher than me, with companion still standing and me with around half health left. In the teens and very early twenties it was a struggle at times taking on -1 to = elites.

I stealth in, put any near by adds to sleep....do my backstab like ability and we're off to the races. With a vanish, an instant that gives me better stealth, and a speed skill while stealthed that is pretty fast, I don't die very much at all.

The Commando I play in the mid twenties has become fairly boring to play....but then again the Shadow did thats why I started my other alts.

The Shadow will be the first character into the 30's for me. I just kept getting "stuck" in the twenties, it was like the doldrums for me. So I'd create another alt...etc, etc.......
I'm determined to get to level cap with a character. Just so when I give my opinion on the game I'm not basing it on a partial experience. So far the game is a 6 out of 10.
But I keep getting told, it picks up in the 30's...shrug, looks like Im going to find out.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: January 24, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »

I'm replaying the bounty hunter to get the Mercenery. One thing I'm sick of playing in MMOs are tanks. Ready for some ranged combat. With missles!

But the point is they should allow you change your final class. Not sure why they've decided not to do that. Not like most people are going to want to play through the same story again.

At the very least there should be some type of warning message about the choice being final.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 24, 2012, 03:14:03 AM

At the very least there should be some type of warning message about the choice being final.

I remember the trainer saying very specifically that the choice was final.  There was a pop-up message stating it as well, iirc.

I find it amusing that I can go 12 hours without having a single conversation option with my companion, then all of a sudden they'll cram her entire backstory + romance options into four back-to-back conversations that take about 5 minutes.  Guess it's back to ignoring her for the next 10 levels...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: January 24, 2012, 03:51:48 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 24, 2012, 03:17:01 AM

I remember the trainer saying very specifically that the choice was final.  There was a pop-up message stating it as well, iirc.

I find it amusing that I can go 12 hours without having a single conversation option with my companion, then all of a sudden they'll cram her entire backstory + romance options into four back-to-back conversations that take about 5 minutes.  Guess it's back to ignoring her for the next 10 levels...

That's an unfortunate side effect of the game not allowing any conversations until the key bit of back story is revealed following that certain story mission.   All of your Affection Points are back logged until that time.  After you open the floodgates things should get back down to a more normal pace on availability provided you continue to get good affection games. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:35 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 24, 2012, 03:51:48 AM

Quote from: Gratch on January 24, 2012, 03:17:01 AM

That's an unfortunate side effect of the game not allowing any conversations until the key bit of back story is revealed following that certain story mission.   All of your Affection Points are back logged until that time.  After you open the floodgates things should get back down to a more normal pace on availability provided you continue to get good affection games. 

Sometimes it needs to be that way for story though.  For example, Kira the JK companion has some things she needs to talk about, but it doesn't make sense to reveal it via her conversations.  It's way better getting revealed via storyline quests first.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »

I'm gonna have to sit down with all my orange items and see what needs upgrading. I'm just finding at 48 with my Gunslinger that I'm failing at pretty much all boss encounters on quests repeatedly, which in theory are supposed to be solo-able. It's gradually draining the fun out of the high-end level game for me.

Basically, if my wookie (only smuggler companion reasonably tank-worthy) can't stay upright long enough to let me finish the boss or nearly finish it, I'm screwed. Even if it looks like I've got half my health meter and the boss has 10%, if my companion drops, I'm generally dead.

The healer companion (Guss) can't really heal fast enough to be useful in most end boss encounters. My other companions have been largely useless on end bosses, regardless of how I upgrade them. I also have been annoyed with some quests that spring an ambush from what seems an innocuous quest objective (i.e., fiddle or open something, and Sith King of the Dance pops up and annihilates you).

Yes, I can sometimes get help, and that's the only way I could finish several quests on Sunday. But the upper 40s areas are still fairly desolate of players right now.

And I just don't find Voss all that interesting a zone. I actually find myself nostalogic for some of the early to mid level zones.

This is all just venting. Please spare me any "I didn't have any trouble at all, you suck" posts, which aren't helpful at all. If you're so awesome, goody for you.  icon_razz Me, I'm getting a little frustrated with the high end game. I'll probably work on some other classes for a while.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:19:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »

Just a heads up for those of you looking to get an account authenticator.  The mobile app is now available for Android devices.   thumbsup

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 24, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »

Blackjack,

Have you checked to see that the equipment your companion is using does not need updating?  I'm sure you have put thought I would throw it out there in case you are like me and just realized half his gear is 10 levels low.  Not as bad as me forgetting the advanced class tab on the trainer for about 4 levels  icon_eek.  I'm amazed I was killing anything.

morlac00 on PSN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: January 24, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »

Does Gunslinger get one of those abilities that gives you 2% health back for a minute like No Retreat or Call on the Force? I've found those to be extremely helpful to pop at the start of a boss fight for getting a signficant upper hand.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: January 24, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

pretty sure every class gets the same 2% companion based 20 minute heal
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

I was becoming so overwhelmed by my Commando's abilities I actually drew up a spreadsheet last night to help me come up with a reasonable rotation that balanced high dps with ammo regen rate.

OMG I'm becoming an elitist jerk!

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »

This game has far too many abilities.  I dont' really find any excuse to have 4 full hotbars and still feel like I don't have enough room.  Game is overcomplicated for no good reason.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 25, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

This game has far too many abilities.  I dont' really find any excuse to have 4 full hotbars and still feel like I don't have enough room.  Game is overcomplicated for no good reason.

How are you and Kato finding open pvp? The servers aren't really set up for real world pvp till lvl 40 or so

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 25, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »

I agree 100%.  2 hotbars is enough.   
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »

FPS Tweak

source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=235286

This is a change to the ini file that changes the distance view in the game.  The default value is 1 but setting it to 0.33711949 can dramatically increase your fps.  I set it on mine last night and tested it and gained around 40 fps on Nar Shadda (was 40-50 fps, now 85-92 fps).  Right now in the fleet I'm hitting between 25-30 fps after this change and forcing 4X AA with super sampling (which before was around 12 fps).  Might be worth checking out if you're one of the ones experiencing low fps.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »

alli get when i click that link is:

, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

logged in already or not logged in same thing.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 26, 2012, 11:46:22 AM

FPS Tweak

source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=235286

This is a change to the ini file that changes the distance view in the game.  The default value is 1 but setting it to 0.33711949 can dramatically increase your fps.  I set it on mine last night and tested it and gained around 40 fps on Nar Shadda (was 40-50 fps, now 85-92 fps).  Right now in the fleet I'm hitting between 25-30 fps after this change and forcing 4X AA with super sampling (which before was around 12 fps).  Might be worth checking out if you're one of the ones experiencing low fps.

I can't open that thread from your link but am very interested.  what is the actual fix?  which file? my client_settings.ini does not have a default listed for distance view.

Edit: looks like, perhaps it's "FarClipScale = 0.3371195" in the client_settings.ini
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:59:23 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »

It's coming up that way because it looks like the thread has been deleted.  The basic idea (and it's covered in a couple of other posts) is to adjust your ini file to decrease the draw distance.

The default is 1 and I set mine to FarClipScale = 0.3371195.  It can be set anywhere in between 0 and 2 but be warned that 2 will bring your system to it's knees (like 2-3 fps).  A lot of people have good luck setting at .5 or .75 but you just need to play around with it to find the sweet spot.  With some more testing I've been able to force AA to 4X, AF to 16X and set AA to super sampling while still maintaining around 45 fps...previously I couldn't break 20 fps with those same settings.

Tip 2: forcing AA (NVidia and ATI/AMD) through the video card and turning it off in SWTOR will result in a better picture and better fps. 

Unrelated tip 3 smile:  the same AA/AF force also works in Rift.  I have the dreaded AMD/ATI AF bug in Rift and went from 30 fps to 90 fps by turning off AA/AF in Rift and forcing it in CCC.  It's an unbelievable difference.  It even looks better.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:10 AM »

This game has far too many abilities.  I dont' really find any excuse to have 4 full hotbars and still feel like I don't have enough room.  Game is overcomplicated for no good reason.

it's like wow before they cleaned up the talent trees(for the first time). there's so much crap filler in talent trees.

i played a warlock and a paladin, so i'm use to classes with lots of utility. but jesus christ man. when i have to bind so many keys that i'm starting to use shift+1(i hate doing that, it's awkward) and i reach 5 there's something wrong here. i probably have 20 hotkeys

edit:just counted, it's 29 skills hotkeyed and there's about 4 that aren't because they are longer cool downs and for pve. amazing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:22:17 AM by jersoc » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

It depends on the class. Sorcs have I think about the proper number of abilities. I use my 1-5 and F1-F5 keys (bottom quickslot and regular quickslot respectively) almost exclusively, so I can keep my right hand on the mouse most of the time with only the occasional clicking of abilities on the right side. Marauder, however, is just flat out ridiculous in the number of abilities they have.

PvP whine incoming!

The end-game PvP is being beta tested by us customers right now. BioWare truly has no idea what in the hell they are doing with Ilum. They are actually rewarding people end-game PvP equipment for running in circles collecting boxes that respawn. There is such an imbalance towards imperials (of which I am one) that the actual PvP constitutes a huge crowd of imperials waiting just outside the republic base and hoping to pull one of the unlucky bastards to his death. And it's all a laggy mess with single-digit fps even on decent machines. The valor gains are ridiculous as well, rendering the title of Battlemaster completely meaningless. If the populations were even close to being equal, it might work out OK. Unfortunately it seems BioWare hasn't bothered doing anything to try to keep the population equal (like maybe only allowing Republic on some high-pop servers because the Imperial side is full?).
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: