http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:04:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 120149 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

Pretty much every voiceover actor I've ever heard of is in this game, either as a companion, main character, or background voice, plus some Bioware favorites (I hear Garrus from Mass Effect everywhere).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: January 17, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

I have a 11 sith sorcerer, 17 operative, 18 scoundrel and a 22 commando.

I like the game.  I have been having allot of fun with just the pvp and the space ship missions.   Good stuff!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: January 17, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »

bummed they pushed the patch back.  First appearance would make it seem they just want to push it past when free month expires so people have to pay to see if the patch is worth it.  icon_evil
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: January 17, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »

I am fully immersed in questing, so I am blissfully ignorant of any issues with PvP, raiding or the economy.

I spent the entire day yesterday going from 10-18 on my Jedi Knight and loved it.

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: January 17, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »

Anyone know whether legacy XP will be back-added for characters started before one gets a legacy name? I'm debating whether or not to start an alt until after I get my legacy name.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: January 17, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 17, 2012, 04:04:25 PM

I am fully immersed in questing, so I am blissfully ignorant of any issues with PvP, raiding or the economy.

I spent the entire day yesterday going from 10-18 on my Jedi Knight and loved it.

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

'You'll be glad to have me by the time this is over' just sounds so dirty.  I like her.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »

Quote from: raydude on January 17, 2012, 06:01:04 PM

Anyone know whether legacy XP will be back-added for characters started before one gets a legacy name? I'm debating whether or not to start an alt until after I get my legacy name.

Pretty sure you have to pick your legacy name before any character starts accumulating legacy XP.

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: January 17, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Abaddon on January 16, 2012, 11:00:50 PM

Stacey Haiduk (Akaavi Spar) also hottie TV actress, I remember her from that futuristic submarine show with Roy Schieder.

Oh geez, I knew that name sounded familiar. She was in Seaquest, wasn't she? Thanks for jogging my memory on that!

- Ash
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: January 19, 2012, 03:49:07 AM »

I've dabbled in a smattering of different characters over the last month:  32 Powertech, 21 Sith Sorcerer, 17 Sith Marauder, 12 Operative, 21 Scoundrel, and 20 Jedi Shadow

All of them have been fun to play, though the Bounty Hunter is probably still my favorite.  I'm not feeling the Operative and will probably start up another agent so I can go Sniper instead.  I'd also like to start a Trooper as well, but have put that on the back burner for now.  My major complaints:

- Ability to actually use the high res textures I've heard about, not just medium labeled as high
- Farther grass draw distance, seeing it pop in front of me even on max detail is annoying
- Shuttle point that goes straight back to my ship
- LFG system similar to WoW
- A UI that isn't so horribly outdated, really need more than 2 windows and ability to resize
- Quest items that can be triggered without having to drag them into the hotbar
- Something to do with commendations for earlier planets
- More varied quest design and flow that doesn't take every single class to the exact same areas
- Heroic or group space missions
- Ability to switch advanced classes for a price

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.  I've already got my money's worth, but still plan to subscribe.  Really enjoying the game and plan on sticking around for awhile to see where it goes from here.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:50:45 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:06 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on January 19, 2012, 03:49:07 AM

Is this inconsistent?  I've never had a problem using quest items in the inventory panel. 
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2810 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 19, 2012, 06:06:06 AM

Quote from: Glycerine on January 19, 2012, 03:49:07 AM

Is this inconsistent?  I've never had a problem using quest items in the inventory panel. 

I believe WoW and Rift shows small quest item icons next to the quest objectives in the right side of the screen. A great little detail that means I don't have to drag the quest item into my action bar or activate it from the inventory. I really wish SWTOR had this too. At least I hope it's not too far down on their "To Do" list.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

looks like Bioware found a way to keep people subscribing  saywhat

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: January 19, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

Got to love yellow journalism.  This is apparently a brower/ script related issue and Bioware has reported that they have a fix in the works.  Do you seriously think that Bioware would intentionally force resubs?  Whatever accounts they managed to keep wouldnt be worth the bad publicity it would cause, let alone the potential class action suits.  Massivley also reported that Bioware was closing threads that discussed or included work arounds for the issue.  Its true that they closed thread that were in the wrong forums but they did not delete them, the threads still exist.  They just shut down the comments.  If people had the brains to look in the customer service forums, they would find threads on this with work arounds and replies from Bioware.   Its nice to create sensationalism when you can take half the facts, report them out of context and create a nice conspiracy.   It reminds me a lot of the early access/grace period issue, where every one went nuts about it even though Bioware stated that they would have a solution in place.  People panicked for nothing, as Bioware lived up to their word and  handled the issue.  Im sure they will do so with this as well.  To do other wise would be an extremely poor business decision.

For those of you who are planning on cancelling and have the issue, here are the instructions to cancel:

login to your account and go to the subscription page.

Then add " /cancel " to the end of the url.  ( without the quotation marks of course )

It should look like this:

https://account.swtor.com/user/subscription/cancel

Then hit 'enter' or the go button on the browser.

The advice also suggests that you remove any payment info to avoid an accidental resub.   

This has happened with pretty much every subscription based MMO including WoW.  Dealing with millions of combinations of browers, internet providers and computer configurations will cause issues.  I had this problem myself with WoW.  While dealing with customer service on the phone is never much fun, the problem was handled. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »

wow, that link is the exact same one in the post they directed people to in the article.  I don't think they accused Bioware of anything, only saying it was troublesome that the link was gone so people couldn't cancel their accounts at a particularly bad time.

of course Bioware's mods could have been helpful pointing out where threads should be placed, instead of the generic:

Hi there!

We ask that all new threads posted here in General Discussion be on-topic and relevant to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. With that in mind, we have closed this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

I'm pretty sure that thread was relevant to the game in any case.

what I do wonder about is why Bioware decided to play around with the browser/script/whatever thingie that caused this issue right now, because the option was definitely there a few days ago.  you don't go playing with something that you know people are going to be using around a set date, that's just asking to get an internet shitstorm.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

on a related note, I did keep subbed for at least one more month.  I figure me not burning myself out during the free play time (yes, I only played it to have fun and not find bugs) was a good thing.  didn't see much point in doing the 3 month at a time deal, it would only have saved a few bucks.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: January 19, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

So a little min/max talk...

As a sniper, the rewards I am getting are a choice between endurance over cunning or cunning over endurance. Sometimes the item with "Sniper" in the name has more endurance, but to be honest, I think I've seen it both ways.

My question is, a Sniper, as DPS, or an Operative, as healer, would seem to both benefit from maxing cunning. Am I missing something, or outside of preference, is there some reason for one of these guys to put more weight in endurance? For classes that have tanks it makes sense, but not this one.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2012, 05:41:39 PM

So a little min/max talk...

As a sniper, the rewards I am getting are a choice between endurance over cunning or cunning over endurance. Sometimes the item with "Sniper" in the name has more endurance, but to be honest, I think I've seen it both ways.

My question is, a Sniper, as DPS, or an Operative, as healer, would seem to both benefit from maxing cunning. Am I missing something, or outside of preference, is there some reason for one of these guys to put more weight in endurance? For classes that have tanks it makes sense, but not this one.

all depends on playstyle imo.  If you plan on tanking a bit then end can be good.  Also in pvp it can help prevent you from being as much of a glass cannon.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2012, 04:22:50 PM

what I do wonder about is why Bioware decided to play around with the browser/script/whatever thingie that caused this issue right now, because the option was definitely there a few days ago.  you don't go playing with something that you know people are going to be using around a set date, that's just asking to get an internet shitstorm.

I don't think they played around with anything.  the cancel/no cancel thing is different for a variety of people and quite a few people have reported that their button still worked. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: January 19, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 19, 2012, 06:11:34 PM

I don't think they played around with anything.  the cancel/no cancel thing is different for a variety of people and quite a few people have reported that their button still worked. 

I know, and while it worked for me a few days ago it's not there now.  something had to have changed at some point.

on another note, I just noticed that it is now saying:

You have no play time. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code. We will keep your account and character information in case you decide to return.

I already did sign up for a recurring subscription you twits (BiowarEA, not you guys (except for rshetts (and Purge)))  icon_lol

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

wow, that link is the exact same one in the post they directed people to in the article.  I don't think they accused Bioware of anything, only saying it was troublesome that the link was gone so people couldn't cancel their accounts at a particularly bad time.

of course Bioware's mods could have been helpful pointing out where threads should be placed, instead of the generic:

Hi there!

We ask that all new threads posted here in General Discussion be on-topic and relevant to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. With that in mind, we have closed this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

I'm pretty sure that thread was relevant to the game in any case.

what I do wonder about is why Bioware decided to play around with the browser/script/whatever thingie that caused this issue right now, because the option was definitely there a few days ago.  you don't go playing with something that you know people are going to be using around a set date, that's just asking to get an internet shitstorm.

I got that info from the post in the Customer service forums.  Not surprised that its the same link.  I just posted it here for the convenience of our forum members.  save them the time of looking for the solution.  
 Yes it is a troublesome issue.  That wasnt what I felt was accusatory on Massively's part, it was the use of the words "mysteriously gone missing"  Theres nothing mysterious about it.  They also stated about posts being shut down but never added in that posts regarding this issue made in the correct forum were active and left alone.  Now you can split hairs all you want about whether the subject belongs in the general forums or not but all forums are moderated like this, even Gaming Trend.  Its clearly just my opinion but I felt Massively reported only half the story and did so in a slyly inflammatory manner.   Its certainly possible that Im seeing more in Massively's article than is there, just like its possible people are seeing more on this issue with Bioware than is there.  Read the forums, people are accusing Bioware of everything from credit card fraud to being the second gunman at the Kennedy assassination.  Still it seemed to me that the article was meant more to fan the flames than to put anyones minds at ease, FWIW.

ps:  Ill have you know I was Upperclass Twit of The Year in 1983!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:24:58 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »

What do you guys think about the review that's up?
First time I can remember disagreeing totally with a GT review.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what happens if the beholder is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other?

Just kidding..........(not really)?. ninja2... paranoid

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »

Another pet peeve - assault cannon drops with cunning and sniper rifle drops with aim. What the heck are they for?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 19, 2012, 07:35:03 PM

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what happens if the beholder is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other?

I'd pretty much agree with his review.  A few minor quibbles aside, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and it's the first (and only) MMO that has ever kept my interest for more than a couple days. I'm sure folks will have a different perspective if they've spent hundreds of hours in WoW or Rift, but for those of us without a ton of MMO experience (and those who are SW fans), SWTOR is an very fun and compelling experience.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 19, 2012, 10:28:32 PM

I'd pretty much agree with his review.  A few minor quibbles aside, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and it's the first (and only) MMO that has ever kept my interest for more than a couple days. I'm sure folks will have a different perspective if they've spent hundreds of hours in WoW or Rift, but for those of us without a ton of MMO experience (and those who are SW fans), SWTOR is an very fun and compelling experience.

I agree with the review as well. I've played many MMOs and am having more fun out of the gate with this one that I've had in any other.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2012, 10:24:01 PM

Another pet peeve - assault cannon drops with cunning and sniper rifle drops with aim. What the heck are they for?

Most likely drops for companions.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:01 AM »

Yeah I get that. It would seem to be a great mmo if you had nothing to compare it against.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:15 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 20, 2012, 12:13:01 AM

Yeah I get that. It would seem to be a great mmo if you had nothing to compare it against.

I have spent a decent amount of time in WoW and played a lot of the major MMOs... I prefer this one to all of those.  And I don't even like Star Wars.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 20, 2012, 01:32:57 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 20, 2012, 12:59:15 AM

Quote from: Arclight on January 20, 2012, 12:13:01 AM

I have spent a decent amount of time in WoW and played a lot of the major MMOs... I prefer this one to all of those.  And I don't even like Star Wars.

Glad you're liking it. My opinion is just, an opinion. Like yours. For me the big killer is the lack of community because of the terrible over use of instancing....but that's just the tip of the burg for me.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 20, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »

I preferred CoX, Rift and probably Conan (once it was fixed) over SWTOR overall.  Rift and Conan mostly due to the pvp aspects which for me just aren't very good in SWTOR.  CoX is the odd game that I really liked despite it having pretty badly balanced and non-open world pvp.

Rift combat felt more 'solid' to me.  Everything in SWTOR feels a bit floaty and random with the timing.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:30 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 20, 2012, 01:32:57 AM

Glad you're liking it. My opinion is just, an opinion. Like yours. For me the big killer is the lack of community because of the terrible over use of instancing....but that's just the tip of the burg for me.

Is instancing that common outside of the most popular servers?  On Dreshdae Cantina I very rarely see more than one instance on any particular planet since the beginning of the year.  If the issue is lack of people to group with, I would think the problem lies more in low populations on each individual planet which would seem to be more of an issue with too many servers for too few people.

For example, on the republic side, I've seen about 30-50 people total on Balmorra or Hoth and had it drop down into the teens in the wee hours of the morning.  Neither one of those planets had more than one instance at those times. 
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:08 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2012, 10:24:01 PM

Don't know about the cannon but I have a companion that uses aim and sniper rifles.  I'd say just about anything that drops can be used by someone...there are something like 20 different companions on each side (I think 5 for each distinct class).

I do wish they would increase the server loads though...once you get into the mid 20s planets I'm seeing around 40-50 people in each zone and that's on a full very heavy load server.  It can seem a little desolate and groups are damn close to impossible to fill (especially the heroic 4s).
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2831 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »

Currently level 36 and barely finished with Balmorra.

Is it me or are there a bit too many laser-shooting and sword-wielding humanoids and droids as quest fodder on these planets? There have been a few exceptions (e.g. Rhakghouls on Taris), but other than that I would like more strange monsters and animals. Balmorra started with a few of those, then quickly turned to humanoids/droids and pretty much nothing else for the remainder of the tour. Does this get better on the planets after Balmorra?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 20, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

Im not any higher level wise so I cant really answer for further on but as far as Balmora is concerned, isnt that the war zone planet?  I mean the basic story line premise is war/resistance based, so combat between humanoids is the bread and butter of the conflict.  Still, you may be right.  Most of the fighting seems to involve weapon toting humanoids.  There have been some exceptions but they seem to be few and far between.  I guess since the primary conflict through out the game is Empire vs Republic,  the meat of the game will likely consist of bipedal weapon toting opponents.  Hopefully somewhere along the line theres a planet with quest lines that focus on something a bit more exotic.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »

It does match the lore, after all. Most of the conflict in the Star Wars universe is between intelligent species. There were those weird bug guys on Alderaan. I don't know enough about the extened universe to know if those are canon or just made up.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2834 on: January 20, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »

Stacey Haiduk (Akaavi Spar) also hottie TV actress, I remember her from that futuristic submarine show with Roy Schieder.

Oddly enough, I recognized her face on IMDB from a recent episode of The Mentalist. She's a little old for my tastes... but definitely hot.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2835 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Tara Strong (Risha) has been around for years and is one of the industry top voice actors, if you've watched a cartoon or played a video game in the last 15 years you've heard her voice.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word / Momma's gonna kill for you the whole damn world.

Tom Kane (M1-4X) same as Tara Strong, long time voice actor and recognizable to most animation/anime and video game fans.

He has been the voice of Yoda for the better part of the past 10 years in pretty much every Lucas sanctioned animation. He was also Quincy Sharp in both of Rocksteady's Batman games, and his career goes back  to being Skeeter in interstate '76.

Dammit. I want a remake of i76. It's been 15 years, and the polygon graphics look like "Money for Nothing". Come on folks!!!

:sigh: I can see myself giving this game a whirl in 6 months.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »

Alright, I hit level 50...guess it's time to cancel. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 20, 2012, 02:14:33 PM

It does match the lore, after all. Most of the conflict in the Star Wars universe is between intelligent species. There were those weird bug guys on Alderaan. I don't know enough about the extened universe to know if those are canon or just made up.

The Killiks were the focus on a book trilogy several years back. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »

On a side note, the LA Times had a front page story about SWTOR this morning.  Nothing really even in particular, except that it was remaking the MMO with voiceover, etc.  Kind of weird, you'd think there was more newsworthy items. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: January 21, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

I took a moment this morning to browse the TOR forums.  Im seriously beginning to wonder if there isnt some kind of sponsored negative trolling campaign being supported by other interests.  I can understand that the game may not be everyones cup of tea but why do people waste their on the forums if they hate the game so much.
 When I left WoW, I just left.  I didnt jump on the forums and blast everyone who still liked the game for being idiotic sheep, suckling on Blizz's giant teat.  I moved on.  The absurdity of the majority of these hate posts is, I have to admit, bordering on hilarious though. 
 For example, I saw a post this morning declaring that SWTOR server populations are down by 70%.  The author was claiming mass cancellations due to the "free" month being up.  Of course the reality of it was he took his first population numbers from prime time last week and his second set of numbers was gathered at 7 am, on the US servers.  News flash:  at 7am on a Saturday morning Im betting at least 70% of the people in the US are still in bed. 
 Anyway, go tromp through the official forums sometime, its a helluva trip. 

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: