http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 126016 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: December 30, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 30, 2011, 08:07:06 AM

i'm also getting a bit bored of the questing. kill this, collect that. the world just feels so dead too. the server is listed as heavy to full even at 2am and yet i see no one. a pvp server is useless because i've seen a sith 3 times. there's just no sense of danger of having to watch my back. makes questing even more boring. i'm only lvl 34, i assume that's about average for people who play a few hours a day since early access. monday was really the only day i've played for a long stretch since then too. this phasing thing for the world is stupid and needs to go like right now.

I think you're way, way ahead of the curve.  I've been playing since the first 15 minutes of early release and since I'm on Winter Break, I've put in a huge amount of time -- /played says over 7 days! -- and I'm only a few levels over you at 38.  Our 76 person guild shows only 9 players over 30. 

I don't think most of the higher level planets are currently being phased.  Right now, for example, I am in the only Hoth instance and there are only 34 players on.  And that's with a Heavy load on one of the most popular servers out there (The Harbringer) -- it is admittedly early in the morning, but our server load is still Heavy and we are one of the unofficial Oceanic servers.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 30, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »

Wait a minute...jersoc doesn't like a game????

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2642 on: December 30, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »

A while ago someone at Quarter to Three had a funny floating point rounding error:

Looks like BioWare haven't fixed that one yet:

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

I have the odd darkside numbers as well.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2644 on: December 30, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Toe on December 30, 2011, 04:57:59 AM

I screwed up at the beginning and had some light-side points where I wish I hadn't. But now I always pick dark side option if there is one. But really the only benefit I am seeing is the two relic slot items you can purchase from the dark side vendor. I do like how your character's look changes with each level of dark side, but thats just a cosmetic change.

You don't have to worry about that - just run any repeatable that grants Light/Dark side points (like say, any Flashpoint), and you can earn the points a second (or third, fourth, etc) time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 30, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 30, 2011, 10:29:15 PM

Quote from: Toe on December 30, 2011, 04:57:59 AM

I screwed up at the beginning and had some light-side points where I wish I hadn't. But now I always pick dark side option if there is one. But really the only benefit I am seeing is the two relic slot items you can purchase from the dark side vendor. I do like how your character's look changes with each level of dark side, but thats just a cosmetic change.

You don't have to worry about that - just run any repeatable that grants Light/Dark side points (like say, any Flashpoint), and you can earn the points a second (or third, fourth, etc) time.

Re-run Esseless if you want the double bonus of getting social points along with light/dark points.  Esseless seems to give literally 8-10x more Social Points than any of the other Flashpoints.  Our Guild ran through it twice yesterday and we were averaging around 125 Social Points per run.  I think it's also around 250 L/S points.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:52:34 PM by ydejin » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 31, 2011, 05:32:48 AM »

Thought I was finally done with Tarsis, but stumbled across an entire settlement (with 6 new quests) at the eastern end that I had somehow missed.  Looks like I'll be here a few more hours.   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »

Yeah, it seems like it takes for ever to get off of Taris.  Have you done all the [Bonus] quests too?  If not, there are even more missions left than you think.

They get handed to you by the governor at the spaceport.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 31, 2011, 12:26:57 PM

Yeah, it seems like it takes for ever to get off of Taris.  Have you done all the [Bonus] quests too?  If not, there are even more missions left than you think.

Yep, spent the last few hours working through them and thought I had finally finished everything.  I missed the settlement in the middle though, so now I have to backtrack quite a bit.  The OCD in me can't leave quests unfinished either.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

How do you get those Bonus missions from the governor?  I haven't seen any quests from here since the first quest that she gave.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2011, 03:23:09 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on December 31, 2011, 12:26:57 PM

Yep, spent the last few hours working through them and thought I had finally finished everything.  I missed the settlement in the middle though, so now I have to backtrack quite a bit.  The OCD in me can't leave quests unfinished either.

You'll learn to get over it.  I passed up a big chunk of Tatooine and the end of Alderaan because I am so overleveled from being OCD about quests.  I figure that leaves me content for an alt.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 31, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2011, 04:46:38 PM

How do you get those Bonus missions from the governor?  I haven't seen any quests from here since the first quest that she gave.

I got it after finishing the class quest.  Was heading back to my ship (thinking I was done with the planet) and her rep was waiting in the hangar with a new questline.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 31, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2011, 04:50:25 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2011, 04:46:38 PM

How do you get those Bonus missions from the governor?  I haven't seen any quests from here since the first quest that she gave.

I got it after finishing the class quest.  Was heading back to my ship (thinking I was done with the planet) and her rep was waiting in the hangar with a new questline.

Heh, I just found it one minute after posting!

Were the quests worthwhile from a story perspective?  Debating staying behind or going ahead to Nar Shaada.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »

Just chiming in to say how damn impressed I am by this game.  I thought Lucas murdered any joy I still had in Star Wars and was pretty burnt out on MMOs, but after getting this as a gift for Christmas I've played the crap out of it for the past two weeks.  Just a great time.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 31, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2011, 04:58:38 PM

Were the quests worthwhile from a story perspective?  Debating staying behind or going ahead to Nar Shaada.

There's one multiple objective quest about Rakghouls that I thought was very good, but the rest were pretty basic.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2655 on: January 02, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »

Yesterday I went back to low-level planets to do some more exploring, and I discovered two things:

• Low-level enemies does not go "gray label" like in EQ2 and LOTRO. They stay red/yellow label just like in WoW. So BioWare clearly decided to copy Blizzard's color code system just like Trion (Rift) instead of using the rainbow color system. That being said, the aggro radius is extremely small. If you are 20+ levels above, you have to almost stand on the toes of an enemy before it gets pissed. Even so, I would rather have had that low-level enemies went gray label and non-aggro to make hunting datacrons easier.

• You can't use a speeder mount anywhere in Coruscant except in the senate plaza area. All other mini zones are off limits for speeders. That feels a little unnecessarily harsh to me. I know you're not high enough level to get a mount at this point, but why forbid them for later visits? Not so cool when going after datacrons.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »

Eurogamer finally have their review out(being an MMO that's a good thing they have waited)

I wonder if you can guess what score they gave it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
That's Right,its an 8

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 31, 2011, 05:13:58 PM

Just chiming in to say how damn impressed I am by this game.  I thought Lucas murdered any joy I still had in Star Wars and was pretty burnt out on MMOs, but after getting this as a gift for Christmas I've played the crap out of it for the past two weeks.  Just a great time.
Gamespy (now niched by owner IGN into a strictly-PC games site) awarded it MMO of the year, fwiw:
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1215449p5.html
I could argue that Rift was a helluva lot more innovative, willing to introduce new things and "think outside the box."

otoh, according to SWTOR's command line (maybe someone here can remind me what the phrase was?) on time played, I've put in something like 150 hours or more into SWTOR -- it said 6 days and something hours -- since Early Access. And I still feel like a kid at his favorite amusement park every time I log in, except when certain Flashpoint and other bosses make me shout at my monitor.  mad icon_razz

And I do feel like from a PvE quester's standpoint, SWTOR's basic questing, class questing, Bonus Series and other goodies (like various pleasant surprises out in space, boarding vessels, visiting derelict space ships etc.) runs rings around the basic questing experience in most other mmorpgs I've played. There's always something different or fun or exciting or, well, painful to do. I never feel like I'm left with nothing to do but Grind for mobs, although I enjoy the basic combat so much I don't mind doing that now and then, simply for fun.

Ask me again in a couple months though.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: January 03, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 03, 2012, 03:53:56 PM

And I do feel like from a PvE quester's standpoint, SWTOR's basic questing, class questing, Bonus Series and other goodies (like various pleasant surprises out in space, boarding vessels, visiting derelict space ships etc.) runs rings around the basic questing experience in most other mmorpgs I've played. There's always something different or fun or exciting or, well, painful to do. I never feel like I'm left with nothing to do but Grind for mobs, although I enjoy the basic combat so much I don't mind doing that now and then, simply for fun.

For a non-MMO'ers like myself, this is the biggest reason SWTOR has worked where every other MMO has failed.  While many of the quests still boil down to "Kill X" or "Fetch Y", they way they are presented are actually interesting and compelling instead of mindless.  This makes all the difference in the world.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: January 03, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 03, 2012, 03:53:56 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 31, 2011, 05:13:58 PM

Gamespy (now niched by owner IGN into a strictly-PC games site) awarded it MMO of the year, fwiw:
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1215449p5.html
I could argue that Rift was a helluva lot more innovative, willing to introduce new things and "think outside the box."

otoh, according to SWTOR's command line (maybe someone here can remind me what the phrase was?) on time played, I've put in something like 150 hours or more into SWTOR -- it said 6 days and something hours -- since Early Access. And I still feel like a kid at his favorite amusement park every time I log in, except when certain Flashpoint and other bosses make me shout at my monitor.  mad icon_razz

Ask me again in a couple months though.  icon_smile

I think Rift was a better game and was more polished, but I think SWTOR will be more successful not just because of the license but because it's basically a single player game with MMO wrappings so it will please more people.  The dialog presentation and such goes a long way to grabbing people who would otherwise skip MMO's altogether.  The license just drags em in. 

I've run into more bugs and some really, really, bad obvious bugs that should have never made it out of beta though.  It's the third least polished launch game I've played.  (Conan and Pirates of the Burning Sea are the top two for me.  Conan eventually fixed those problems.)
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »

Here's my basic list of crap to fix/add (that will soon be ignored but I enjoyed thinking about it)

Tweaks and changes needed:

UI scaling first, other UI modifications soon.

PVP Warzone brackets.  Health and power scaling aside a 50 still stomps a 20 with ease.  Even 10-30 and 31-50 would be a huge improvement.

GTN user search field first, many more search options soon (search for orange equipment, search for bracers, search for equipment with AIM, etc).

Ability to view all companions on character screen even when not summoned (hard to compare armor from a reward when they're on a 2 hour mission).

Zoom and higher resolution in the wardrobe window.

More detailed tooltips (actually being able to see how much something absorbs instead of just a "large" amount).

Bind point to ship.

Emergency Fleet Pass cooldown changed to 8 hours (or reduce the cost of the one time use pass).

Dual class (in the same AC, not dual AC) or a drastic reduction is respec costs.

Missing options from preferences (view distance, AA, other advanced options). 

More color crystals (or at least acknowledge they're in game just waiting to be discovered/dropped from a boss/etc)

Things I'd like to see (but don't expect soon or ever)

Tweaks and buffs to all Melee Force users (more cc, more self healing, more dps, something).  They are clearly subpar when comparing an equal level Jedi tank vs Commando tank (for example).  Nothing wrong with ranged force users except for low DoT dps so leave them alone.  Buff up...don't nerf down.

Slight tweak up for Slicing...at 370 I'm officially losing money (not even breaking even).  I also haven't received a single mission or other drop since the last patch either.

Slight tweak to reverse engineering...shouldn't take 20+ RE to get a blue receipe for a level 11 item.

View weapons in the wardrobe window

Randomize the space battles (maybe reverse the direction, throw in occasional random boss ship, anything)

More space battles (rails or not I like them)

Ship customization (even if it's just the paint job)

Sprint ability moved to lvl 8 or 10 instead of 14.  Severe gimp if you want to start PvP at 10.

This is an A game now that with one good patch could jump to AA (though it will probably take an expansion before i go AAA smile)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: January 03, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

>>>UI scaling first, other UI modifications soon.
Promised repeatedly (along with moving inventory windows around and a more customizable UI overall) in interviews but no ETA. I submitted feedback about it during the weekend beta sessions. I don't begrudge them that other mmorpgs I've played took a while to offer all that (LOTRO's UI is extremely scaleable, customizable now, not quite so much at launch), though it does bring up the "don't they play other MMOs to see how they're doing things?" question.

>>>Bind point to ship.
The more I find myself wandering through the same spaceport, hangar, and later airlocks, the more I think there's some sort of "behind the scenes" assets preloading going on as you trudge through those areas again. Otherwise, why make us trudge dutifully through those same areas over and over?

I do find it a bit frustrating there's no easy way to zip back to one's ship directly, and the Fleet Pass having an 18-hour cooldown -- I assume Bioware has a reasoning there but what? That it's bad to return to Fleet without trudging through spaceport>hangar>ship>hangar>spaceport? or shuttle>station>hangar>ship>hangar>station>shuttle, whatever. Sometimes I just get a headache trying to remember all that.  icon_razz

When I was new to the game, frankly I'd just get completely lost as to how to even return to my ship at all, how to reach the Flashpoints kiosks zone (Dropship) within Fleet. I love the game but sometimes Intuitiveness is lacking. I guess you could say it's a game that rewards digging into your preferences tabs, clicking on elevator buttons repeatedly until you understand what "Dropship" means, and digging through fan sites for explanations, or just randomly clicking Shift or Control and a mouse button to see what happens (linking items in chat, cosmetic view of equipment, etc.) but I don't know if that's something to strive for in game design. icon_smile

I appreciate keyboard shortcuts, but I think new players would also like simple buttons labeled "view equipment on character," "view equipment on companion," "link item in chat," "Codex" (rather than hiding it on a tab in the quest log window) etc. I'm just afraid they'd do that with inscrutable icons instead, and no tooltips -- you'd hover over the icon and think "What the heck does THIS do?"  confused smirk

In the end though I truly love the game. That for the most part my complaints are annoyances (hopefully fixable ones), and frustration with certain Flashpoint and instance-ending bosses, is for me, a good sign.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:25:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: January 03, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »

One quick point on the fleet pass...folks do know that most every planet has a shuttle to take you to the fleet right?  On Taris it is at the second quest hub, on Nar Shadaa it is outside the Promenade, Tatooine it is at the second quest hub...etc.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: January 03, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 03, 2012, 07:44:13 PM

One quick point on the fleet pass...folks do know that most every planet has a shuttle to take you to the fleet right?  On Taris it is at the second quest hub, on Nar Shadaa it is outside the Promenade, Tatooine it is at the second quest hub...etc.

You can also buy one-use fleet passes at the security vendor on fleet if you've associated a security key to your account (either physical or downloading the phone app).

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 03, 2012, 06:47:28 PM

Here's my basic list of crap to fix/add (that will soon be ignored but I enjoyed thinking about it)

Tweaks and changes needed:

UI scaling first, other UI modifications soon.

Missing options from preferences (view distance, AA, other advanced options). 

Both of these will be coming.  AA for example was in game in alpha, but was a buggy so they removed it until it could be properly implemented.

Quote from: ericb on January 03, 2012, 06:47:28 PM

Things I'd like to see (but don't expect soon or ever)

Slight tweak to reverse engineering...shouldn't take 20+ RE to get a blue receipe for a level 11 item.

Reverse engineering is random, I just as often get a blue recipe on my first try, as it takes me 10 tries to get one.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: January 03, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 30, 2011, 02:54:35 PM

yes, i hate aspects of a game, like everyone else. i never said i hated because I don't buy games that are awful. you got a real problem understanding things i can see.

Quote from: ydejin on December 30, 2011, 10:58:14 AM

i'm also getting a bit bored of the questing. kill this, collect that. the world just feels so dead too. the server is listed as heavy to full even at 2am and yet i see no one. a pvp server is useless because i've seen a sith 3 times. there's just no sense of danger of having to watch my back. makes questing even more boring. i'm only lvl 34, i assume that's about average for people who play a few hours a day since early access. monday was really the only day i've played for a long stretch since then too. this phasing thing for the world is stupid and needs to go like right now.

I think you're way, way ahead of the curve.  I've been playing since the first 15 minutes of early release and since I'm on Winter Break, I've put in a huge amount of time -- /played says over 7 days! -- and I'm only a few levels over you at 38.  Our 76 person guild shows only 9 players over 30.  

I don't think most of the higher level planets are currently being phased.  Right now, for example, I am in the only Hoth instance and there are only 34 players on.  And that's with a Heavy load on one of the most popular servers out there (The Harbringer) -- it is admittedly early in the morning, but our server load is still Heavy and we are one of the unofficial Oceanic servers.

sure doesn't feel like it. i'm not in a big guild, but there's already 5 people who hit 50. game is pretty easy to level. Still the world feels very dead. Pretty sure republic and imperials have no overlapping quests that bring world pvp to each other. and if they do, guess it doesn't seem like it.

oh, luckily some of the stories are sort of interesting because at times i get pretty bored doing essentially the same quests for the last 37 levels. i can't be bothered to sit and spam for groups all day either. so hopefully bioware gets a real looking for group system and not a 15 year old one that never worked.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:23:11 PM by jersoc » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: January 03, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 03, 2012, 09:20:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on December 30, 2011, 02:54:35 PM

yes, i hate aspects of a game, like everyone else. i never said i hated because I don't buy games that are awful.

Except Dragon Age 2 smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: January 04, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 03, 2012, 07:44:13 PM

Those are great...except you can't ride the same shuttle back to where you left.  It's better than nothing though.  I like the flashpoint shuttles too once you get into the 20+ zones.

As for the bugginess of things removed I don't see how they worked for months (according to beta testers) but suddenly stopped working right at release and had to be removed.  The options are even still there if you're willing to mess around with the ini file.

Overall I love it but it's weird that such a polished game has so many minor nuisances still in at release.  A lot of these are minor tweaks that should have been in alpha much less still "testing" after release (and some are just stupid design choices from someone who obviously did not play a modern mmo since vanilla WoW came out).  Still I know a lot of these are coming "soon" so I'll keep playing and hoping for quick fixes.  In the end I think it just might have the same keep playing mojo that WoW had at the start.  I sincerely hope it takes the #2 spot and continues a long life of updates and expansions as long as they don't take the WoW route of our way or the highway. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:34 AM »

Now I dont really see much in the way of bugs.  I felt this was one of the better releases ever in MMOs.  There have been a few minor issues but nothing game breaking.  I havent had a single crash or lock up at all.  I remember the WoW release and TOR is so much better its ridiculous.  Obviously theres a major difference due to when WoW was released but it amazes me that people expect a new MMO to come out the chute fully implemented and completely as functional as a game thats had 7 years to develop and build after its release, with basically over 10 million people continuously beta testing it for them.
 IMHO TOR has had a great release and Im looking forward to where they take it from here.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2669 on: January 04, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 03, 2012, 06:01:27 PM

I think SWTOR will be more successful not just because of the license but because it's basically a single player game with MMO wrappings so it will please more people.  The dialog presentation and such goes a long way to grabbing people who would otherwise skip MMO's altogether.

I think you may be right about that.

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 04, 2012, 04:14:34 AM

Now I dont really see much in the way of bugs.

I haven't seen all that many bugs either (now currently level 29 with a Jedi Sage) and the few I've seen have been minor. Frozen enemies at death (instead of dropping on the floor), a flickering green wall in Tatooine when standing in a specific spot, and one or two rare reset effect errors. I've seen others report bugs I've never seen, like e.g. selling gray items via the companion not working. It has always worked when I used it, but admittedly I have only used it maybe two or three times. Another bug I've heard about is when dragging an item to the character and the item disappears. Never seen this happen either.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: January 04, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 03, 2012, 09:20:36 PM

Quote from: ydejin on December 30, 2011, 10:58:14 AM

I think you're way, way ahead of the curve.  I've been playing since the first 15 minutes of early release and since I'm on Winter Break, I've put in a huge amount of time -- /played says over 7 days! -- and I'm only a few levels over you at 38.  Our 76 person guild shows only 9 players over 30.  

I don't think most of the higher level planets are currently being phased.  Right now, for example, I am in the only Hoth instance and there are only 34 players on.  And that's with a Heavy load on one of the most popular servers out there (The Harbringer) -- it is admittedly early in the morning, but our server load is still Heavy and we are one of the unofficial Oceanic servers.

sure doesn't feel like it. i'm not in a big guild, but there's already 5 people who hit 50. game is pretty easy to level. Still the world feels very dead. Pretty sure republic and imperials have no overlapping quests that bring world pvp to each other. and if they do, guess it doesn't seem like it.

oh, luckily some of the stories are sort of interesting because at times i get pretty bored doing essentially the same quests for the last 37 levels. i can't be bothered to sit and spam for groups all day either. so hopefully bioware gets a real looking for group system and not a 15 year old one that never worked.

The worlds definitely aren't setup to encourage much PvP between the factions.  Until I hit Voss at IIRC level 44, I had probably seen exactly two Imperial players.  I saw one while I was hunting around in a cave on Alderaan.   Can't remember where I saw the other one. 

At Voss the two factions share the same vendors, so I did see a bunch there in the Embassy District.

I've tried to pay a bit more attention to the planetary "sharding."  AFAICT from looking at our Guild Member locations, I've only ever seen sharding used on Coruscant.  So I don't think there is much instancing at least at the planetary level.  Obviously there is for some questing, particularly for their ending points.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

Servers are back up!  I guess they scheduled 8 hours just in case, so they didn't have a repeat of the last maintenance time where it took much longer than expected.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: January 04, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »

I love the phasing, imo.  No competition for quest mobs and I am not tripping over anyone.  General chat goes between all phases so when you join a group in a different phase you get a prompt to teleport to that phase to group up. 

Again, I have a 50 Shadow and doing dailies and pvping...  Started working on a Vanguard next, but only playing him on full rested bonus.  All in all I don't have many complaints

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »

Bioware has expressed no real interest in an "LFG System," only that they're "listening to feedback" about it. They seem convinced that spamming the General chat channel with pleas for teammates helps make the game more social, more so than a specific LFG system or simply an LFG channel (which LOTRO has, and I found very useful over the years -- I pushed for it in Cryptic's mmo's and never got anywhere).

I do think if they'd stolen/borrowed Rift's idea of teleporting all group members to a group instance entrance, it would save a helluva lot of tedious travel time in this. As far as teleportation not being "realistic, SW-wise," well, calling in a shuttle for quick travel inside the far end of a deep cave, is that realistic, SW-wise?  icon_razz That doesn't make any sense either so heck with it, just let our groups go zip to an instance entrance and save us some fuss.

My Hoth team lost its healer last night cause he got sick of waiting for group member 4 to reach us (even with a mount, on Hoth, it can take forever). The companion healer wasn't enough. Fortunately, we managed to cheese the objective (a stealthed Jedi freed a few hostages).  icon_smile

As far as the upper levels being dead, I think you have to factor in alt-itis. Most of our Dreshdae Cantina guild has multiple alts. A couple of us are to 40 or near it but the vast majority are having fun amongst their various alts. You probably won't see heavy populations in the 40-ish-to-50 zones for quite some time.

I've seen a couple of zones where the factions are supposed to cross a bit (Tatooine in places, and Quesh). In Quesh, I actually rode my mount around what I presume is the Empire's base on the southern end (it has a shuttle, clearly not meant for Republic players) and it was completely absent of Empire players. It was an odd feeling.  confused
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:24:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:57 AM »

Just curious, how is everyone handling equipment?  I used to comb the GTN looking for the latest armor but I recently started getting the orange armor and now just looking for mods and enhancements to keep up as I level.  Is there a best practice on how this is done?

Second question.  Are the GTNs linked, i.e. the is the fleet GTN linked to the planetary GTNs?

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2675 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »

Quote from: Dunamis on January 05, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

Just curious, how is everyone handling equipment?  I used to comb the GTN looking for the latest armor but I recently started getting the orange armor and now just looking for mods and enhancements to keep up as I level.  Is there a best practice on how this is done?

Second question.  Are the GTNs linked, i.e. the is the fleet GTN linked to the planetary GTNs?

Entirely up to you. You can keep replacing your armor every level or three, or you can just put in mods for the orange version you have (and keep a consistent look).

There are 3 GTNs per server - all the good guys, all the bad guys, and Nar Shadda (or whatever the planet is called) that holds a 'neutral' GTN (that both sides can use). So yes, the GTNs are linked on their respective sides.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: January 05, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2012, 12:35:19 AM

Quote from: Dunamis on January 05, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

Entirely up to you. You can keep replacing your armor every level or three, or you can just put in mods for the orange version you have (and keep a consistent look).

There are 3 GTNs per server - all the good guys, all the bad guys, and Nar Shadda (or whatever the planet is called) that holds a 'neutral' GTN (that both sides can use). So yes, the GTNs are linked on their respective sides.

Got it, thanks!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

Only bad thing about hitting 40 today is not having enough money to get my new rank of skill plus riding level 2 and a newer speeder.  I opted for the improved skill and should have the money soon, but was bummed I didn't have it right when I leveled.

Anyone hit 50 yet?  What all is there to do once you hit it?  If nothing, I am okay with making an alt, but I probably won't put in the insane amount of time I've been putting in to rush this trooper to 50.  My PC backlog will thank me.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:21 AM »

Um...what is GTN?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: January 05, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 05, 2012, 03:01:21 AM

Um...what is GTN?

Galactic Trade network, the auction house.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: