http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 131470 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: December 27, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 27, 2011, 04:55:24 PM

One thing I've noticed with every piece of orange armor that I've upgraded with new mods is that it won't display the new armor rating until after I equip it.  Once I'm wearing it the armor rating adjusts to the new mods.  Not sure if that's just a bug I'm seeing, but thought I would share in case anyone was confused about why the armor rating didn't appear to change after intalling a new armoring mod.    

Thanks for the clarification, that was one of the reasons I was so confused.  Couldn't figure out why my armor that had a 25 rating suddenly jumped to 250+.

Was poking around on the official forums yesterday, and was surprised at how many people apparently hate this game.  Are MMO forums typically like that (a vocal minority that screams until they're blue in the face) or is SWTOR simply not poplar with the "regular" MMO crowd?  As a non-MMO'er, I'm absolutely loving it, but maybe there are things that folks with more experience really don't like.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:26:37 PM by Gratch » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 27, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »

Just got chewed out for chronic tardiness to work the last couple weeks. Guess what the main reason was? Not that I could share that with my boss.  icon_redface

Oh well. No one to blame but me... and Bioware.  smirk I think I'll have to cut out the late night marathons except weekends (and this Thursday since I got Friday off).

Gratch, I don't know any mmorpg forum where people are happy. For a while, STO's forum moderators were closing "I quit!" threads seemingly every day. And this was AFTER the announced switch to F2P.

The WoW forums are mostly just angry, ranting people upset about everything in the game even though they apparently play it like I've been playing SWTOR - 16 hours a day, ruining the rest of one's life.  icon_razz

And I think many who are upset about SWTOR are upset about billing issues, technical issues, video card issues, the wait ques, customer support or lack thereof etc. A lot of the anger I've seen has nothing to do with the game's gameplay (I'm sure there's plenty of that too), but about things getting in their way of finally just getting to enjoy the game. I feel for them, really I do.

Anyway, official forums are generally like that. Which is why I tend to spend more time here. We're not always happy, we don't have to be, but I think we're generally more reasonable than any mmorpg's official forum I've posted at.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:24:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 27, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »

btw, on that Paladins thing I'm having a hard time with, the Sith War Apprentices appear to be immune to my Cheap Shot attack (a pretty devasting 600-700hp+ melee attack on stunned targets). I dunno if that's a bug (I've clearly been able to stun them but can't do the Cheap Shot attack on 'em), of the apparentices really are that tough.  icon_confused

P.S. btw, Smuggler "cowboy hats," as seen in various trailers, apparently aren't available until the level 40s.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:16:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 27, 2011, 05:21:53 PM

One thing I've noticed with every piece of orange armor that I've upgraded with new mods is that it won't display the new armor rating until after I equip it.  Once I'm wearing it the armor rating adjusts to the new mods.  Not sure if that's just a bug I'm seeing, but thought I would share in case anyone was confused about why the armor rating didn't appear to change after intalling a new armoring mod.    

Thanks for the clarification, that was one of the reasons I was so confused.  Couldn't figure out why my armor that had a 25 rating suddenly jumped to 250+.

Was poking around on the official forums yesterday, and was surprised at how many people apparently hate this game.  Are MMO forums typically like that (a vocal minority that screams until they're blue in the face) or is SWTOR simply not poplar with the "regular" MMO crowd?  As a non-MMO'er, I'm absolutely loving it, but maybe there are things that folks with more experience really don't like.

this is true of all MMO's (and most games)

Most people that are simply playing the game and enjoying it don't find any need to post.  The only people posting are the people pissed at something and the people obsessed with defending their favorite new game. (and Blackjack, who posts everything about everything  ninja )
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 27, 2011, 07:27:58 PM

Most people that are simply playing the game and enjoying it don't find any need to post.  The only people posting are the people pissed at something and the people obsessed with defending their favorite new game. (and Blackjack, who posts everything about everything  ninja )

BTW, where'd you get the SWAT hat I saw in the picture Kato posted?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 27, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on December 27, 2011, 07:36:20 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on December 27, 2011, 07:27:58 PM

BTW, where'd you get the SWAT hat I saw in the picture Kato posted?

vendor on Balmorra I think, I have a white one as well.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »

and Blackjack, who posts everything about everything  ninja)
Thanks. You maybe intended that as a comical insult, though I take it as flattering compliment. Probably the only one you'll ever pay me. icon_smile

I really do try to avoid the whole hater/fanboi extremes. I'm more about "too much information is never enough."  icon_smile Really, the more people know about SWTOR, and the more about what they know about what's still going to get added to the game, the less people will stamp their feet that feature X isn't in the game (and there are many posts at the official forums insulting the devs for not having X in the game yet). I love what's there, though I would never pretend there isn't room for improvements, tweaking, balancing, bug fixing and introducing features that we're all used to (e.g. inventory window resizing, UI scaling/repositioning etc.).

I made many posts over the last few months either skeptical, suspicious or even disappointed about SWTOR but in the end, when I'm playing, I'm very much addicted. It took all my fears of my boss chewing me out again to log off at 11 p.m. last night and finally get some semblance of a good night's sleep.  icon_smile However, I get Friday off so Thursday night, all bets are off!  Bring your own!

Blackjack (Smuggler>Gunslinger) reached 32 last night. Got a 15-second force field of sorts (basically, one of those little "globe" droids slowly spins around me kind of 'painting' this force field that lights up when it absorbs damage). It helped me with one elite I dealt with. Still a few attacks to look forward to in the last 18 levels, and working up the Adv. Class tiers. Just dunno what the heck I'm going to hotkey things as. Think I'll need a second keyboard!  icon_razz
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:46:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2607 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »

....fighting...it....

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 28, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »

I picked it up on a lark last night.  I really do not need yet another game, but I am a weak, weak man. 

After a small debacle with the security questions (entered it correctly 5 times and it then locked my account until after I spent 90 minutes on hold - 40 minutes the first try only to be disconnected out of the blue, 50 minutes the next when someone finally answered - and found out that they were having some issues with the authentication server that affected some users...one of whom was me.   icon_frown ) bioware got me up and running and I created a smuggler on the cantina server folks mentioned elsewhere (sadly, there was a 10 minute wait...but it wasn't as horrible as some games in the past).  Played up to lvl 3 and then tried a Jedi Consular.  I think I'm going to go Jedi Consular because I like the idea of a blind jedi Shadow. 

I really haven't scratched the surface of the game, I believe.  While I'm not overly impressed yet, it's still too early to write it off as too cookie cutter (which is my initial take after a few standard low level mob fights last night).  I'll have to put in some real time this weekend to see what's going on under the hood.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 28, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »

I am about to throw in the towel too...

Is there a free "try it before you buy it" version?

Best just to do a digital download and wait?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:51 PM »

Blackjack,

Were you mustaine on the cazik thule server on EQ1 ?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: December 28, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 28, 2011, 03:19:51 PM

Blackjack,

Were you mustaine on the cazik thule server on EQ1 ?
No.  icon_smile I played Everquest for like 2 weeks in 1999. I did actually team up with someone named Mustaine in SWTOR, and is on my Friends list.

Hepcat: imho, don't judge the game on the starter zones (up to 10 or so). To me, the game starts to blossom once you:
-Get your companion (don't forget your class quests, hit 'L' and check the quest log from time to time cause the tracker won't point out class quests)
-Make your Advanced Class choice (around 10 -- I'd suggest most folks visit their trainer at Fleet or Coruscant or wherever, and THEN try the Esseles Flashpoint, as it's more fun to do that when you've got your freebie Advanced Class weapon in place).
-Try your first Flashpoint and participate in group conversation rolls (Esseles)
-Make your crew skills choices and start sending out your first companion to do resourc-gathering missions, craft stuff, sell your trash loot etc.
-Start branching out into the Coruscant and other zones beyond the starter zones (Ord Mantell, etc.).
-Tackle 2 and 4 player Heroic quests that promote group play.
-Get your Ship.
-Try space combat (even if the idea of "on rails" makes you wave your Tie Fighter and Freespace flags).
[Depending on how fast you work through class quests, all of the above you can probably do by the mid teens, level-wise]

If you do ALL that stuff and the game still doesn't tickle your fun-bone, then that's OK. But at least  you'll have given it a really good, fair shake.  icon_smile I suspect most of us that do like it liked it more and more as we gain levels. The enemies get more skills at their disposal -- from the Republic side you start battling Sith types, military droids, all sorts of mayhem. The screen can get so full of explosions and absorbing force fields and laser blast volleys and tossed light sabers, you can barely see what's going on some times.  icon_smile I've LOL'd at the sight of myself and my companion levitating in the air from Sith or "Sith wannabe"'s chokeholds.

So far, Tatooine has been my favorite zone. That's partly cause you recognize so much from the 1977 movie (different era or not), partly cause it's so much fun to just ride a speeder of any sort around the dunes, and because there's such a nice glut of solo and both types of heroic quests (2 and 4), that I never felt wanting for something fun and/or interesting to do.

I found more Heroic quests there than I probably expected the entire game to have. Some are a pain in the ass, and some are really fun imho. I just laugh at the concern I once had that there would "never be any reason to to group." There are neverending reasons to group, and I almost always have a good time in these 4-person teams. Still, I have a couple buds who've gone into the 30s without hardly ever grouping at all.

So I think they've struck a good balance of having enough Flashpoint and Heroic 2/4s (later on, Operation raids) that you virtually always have some grouping opportunities available. Yet you can just as easily plow through with a companion (eventually swapping your companions out to adjust to different situations) and have fun that way.  icon_smile

I still hope future content will use some imagination in quest objectives. Here and there I see it. Here and there a quest line or bonus objective throws me a curveball and I'm, "Woah, that's cool. Let's have more of that."

I just worry based on other mmorpgs I've played, when the updated content goes in they might get lazy. Or they might run out of time to deliver something unique or refreshing, etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:42:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: December 28, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2011, 03:27:18 PM

If you do ALL that stuff and the game still doesn't tickle your fun-bone, then that's OK. But at least  you'll have given it a really good, fair shake.  icon_smile

Oh yeah, definitely.  I'm not giving up on it this early in the game.  I'm quite sure I've barely even seen a 100th of what the game actually offers.  I'll probably have some more solid questions that I'll ask around these here parts this weekend.

I'll also need to look into joinin' a GT guild.  

p.s. i've read that each class has it's own unique story line that one can play through without doing the same thing as the other classes at some point.  Is this true?  If so, that's a whole lot of story.   icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 28, 2011, 03:40:15 PM

i've read that each class has it's own unique story line that one can play through without doing the same thing as the other classes at some point.  Is this true?  If so, that's a whole lot of story.   icon_eek

It is but the caveat is that you'll be playing on a lot of the same worlds (Smuggler and Trooper both start on Ord Mantell for example) so aside from the class quests all other quests in those areas will be the same.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: December 28, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 28, 2011, 03:52:49 PM

i've read that each class has it's own unique story line that one can play through without doing the same thing as the other classes at some point.  Is this true?  If so, that's a whole lot of story.   icon_eek

It is but the caveat is that you'll be playing on a lot of the same worlds (Smuggler and Trooper both start on Ord Mantell for example) so aside from the class quests all other quests in those areas will be the same.
When I started my trooper the other day, I found I could race through Ord Mantell far more quickly than I had with the Smuggler. I just knew where everything was, knew what was a class quest and what wasn't, knew all the Heroics to get, and remembered to hit all the taxis and quick travel bind points the first time I saw them. The skills trainer was a different location than for the smuggler, but everything else was as I remembered, and so I got through it all with a lot less fuss and a lot more speed.

While that may sound tedious as with any MMO when rolling an alt, the class quests helped break up the deja vu feeling, as did just using a class that plays differently.

My original plan was to alternate. Something like:
-Smuggler
then Jedi Knight
-Trooper
then Jedi Consular

That way I'd break up going back through the same starter zone. But in the end, zipping through as Trooper was fine and fun, including our first Flashpoint as the GT Heroes guild (at least four of us).
===============
btw, Slicing "fix" didn't make people happy? No.  icon_razz Like I posted some time ago, massively Nerfing something to bring it in line never really brings a positive community response. But I assume making every crafting skill as profitable would've "broken" SWTOR's economy. It might've helped if they'd explained the WHY with the fix rather than just saying "bring it in line with other crew skills."

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »

So it took a lot of armor upgrades and choosing Corso Armor upgrades over my own or Bowdaar upgrades as quest rewards, but I am finally finding Corso a reasonably able ranged-tank (a Vanguard of sorts, although he has some Bounty Hunter skills like a wrist-mounted flamethrower) at L32.

Now even the inability to get him to ever consistently stop using grappling hook (he re-activates it constantly no matter what you do) doesn't bother me so much because it does give me a chance to use the high-dmg Cheap Shot punch without having to wade into a group. I mean, he grapples targets soooo far away that the others in his group barely have a chance to know what's going on.

Of course a Wookie is cooler, but so far I've not been able to get Bowdaar's armor/stats to the point where he ably tanks. Those Sith Ware Apprentices, tough with Bowdaar as companion, seemed much less so with Corso at this point. Though that might've been because the ones I fought the other night were in an enclosed, claustrophobic area.

*There's a few stats where I'm still not sure what they'd be best for. Absorption for example, or Defense -- is that better for a tank? (absorbing melee dmg) Or a ranged guy? Maybe for anybody?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:54:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »

Theres also dark and light side choices in a lot of what you do that adds a bit of flavor to the game.  I have an Imperial Agent as my main and Im playing him with light sided choices.  I decided I wanted an alt to make stims and med packs, so I created a Sith Juggernaut and decided to go full dark with him.  Theres quite the difference between the two and there been a lot of cases where its good to be bad.  If you do chose the dark side be prepared to buy your companion a lot of gifts to keep her happy.  Vette seems to dislike it when i slice down some punk for being lippy.  And there are a lot of lippy punks out there.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: December 28, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »

Question about weapon damage- is the weapon damage listed first the "base" damage without any mods?  So if I'm comparing another lightsaber to my currently equipped, I really should only be looking at that base damage since I can bring over any mods anyway. 
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: December 28, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2011, 05:18:11 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on December 28, 2011, 03:52:49 PM

When I started my trooper the other day, I found I could race through Ord Mantell far more quickly than I had with the Smuggler. I just knew where everything was, knew what was a class quest and what wasn't, knew all the Heroics to get, and remembered to hit all the taxis and quick travel bind points the first time I saw them. The skills trainer was a different location than for the smuggler, but everything else was as I remembered, and so I got through it all with a lot less fuss and a lot more speed.

Very true.  After running my Smuggler up to 30 I started on a trooper and due to having played through the area before I was a lot more efficient with the trooper.  A good example is that knowing where the quest givers and quest locations were before hand allowed me to setup all of my quests first before going into an area so that I could wrap them all up in one run instead of doing them piecemeal.  Saved quite a bit of questing time as I wasn't running back and forth over already explored territory.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: December 28, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

I was finishing up the Balmorra bonus series last night on my bounty hunter (powertech), and geeked out when I saw what appeared to be a cool looking helmet as a reward option.  My bounty hunter is all about looking cool, so of course I grabbed the helmet.  With great anticipation I right clicked on the helmet...which was immediately followed by a wtf??  It looked like he was wearing a motorcycle helmet without the face shield.  Ah well, I'm still on the hunt for a cool helmet.

Btw, thank you to bioware for letting me play a good guy horndog bounty hunter.  He had inappropriate sexual relations with the ugliest female sith I've ever seen.  Kudos to him.  And I'm glad there was no cutscene.  I take that back, he did make out with her, which was disturbing and hilarious.

I'm kind of regretting choosing powertech over merc.  I decided to go all out defensive, and make a walking fortress type of character (since he's tanking all the time anyway).  He is really tough, and can dish out enough damage in close range, but he's limited mid to long range.  BW wasn't kidding when they said powertech's are all about burning bad guys.  Which was pretty cool when I was fighting the big nasty bugs, torching them with flamethrower and flame burst.        
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:44:10 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2620 on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 28, 2011, 06:09:29 PM

Question about weapon damage- is the weapon damage listed first the "base" damage without any mods?  So if I'm comparing another lightsaber to my currently equipped, I really should only be looking at that base damage since I can bring over any mods anyway. 

Look for the Rating number which is right after the Damage numbers. That's the 'broken down and raw damage number' that every weapon in the game uses. Armor is the same way.

If you have the same mods, every weapon will have the exact same stats. Armor is the same way (short of the armor rating differences between Light, Medium, and Heavy). If an item doesn't have a mod slot, then yes, look at what it offers as well as the Rating number.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: December 28, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 28, 2011, 07:02:38 PM

If you have the same mods, every weapon will have the exact same stats. Armor is the same way (short of the armor rating differences between Light, Medium, and Heavy). If an item doesn't have a mod slot, then yes, look at what it offers as well as the Rating number.

So is every orange item of a type effectively equal and I should only care about mods?  For example, is there ever any reason that I should swap out one moddable lightsaber for a different one?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: December 28, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 28, 2011, 07:41:07 PM

So is every orange item of a type effectively equal and I should only care about mods?  For example, is there ever any reason that I should swap out one moddable lightsaber for a different one?
I can sift through my cargo hold when I'm on tonight to check for sure.

My understanding is some lower level orange items don't have all 4 mod slots available; so in that case you'll more than likely want to move on to a higher level orange item later.

Also, keep in mind that it starts to get pricier and pricier to remove old mods to make way for your new one later on. By 30 I was blowing well over 1,000cr just to remove one old mod. So in some cases it makes sense to just put the new one in over the old mod (destroying the old mod) if the older mods have outlived their usefulness stat-wise.

The various commendations vendors usually include one selling mods, and you can get some excellent ones from them as you move through the game. I also found that doing all the Tatooine class-bonus missions eventually led to a great (in terms of stats/armor #) mod as reward.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: December 28, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »

I wish I had figured out earlier that I could keep sending my ship droid out on gathering missions while pve questing with my other companion.  He basically even says as much when you first meet him.  I must have been overtired at 3AM during that conversation. 

Ship Droid - I can do crafting gathering missions for you.
What I heard - I don't do missions, blah-blah, maybe I can heal, my chassis sucks and can't take damage, I painted your room the same color.   
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: December 28, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »

Anyone try a pvp server?   Is it any good?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 29, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 28, 2011, 08:12:05 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 28, 2011, 07:41:07 PM

So is every orange item of a type effectively equal and I should only care about mods?  For example, is there ever any reason that I should swap out one moddable lightsaber for a different one?
I can sift through my cargo hold when I'm on tonight to check for sure.

My understanding is some lower level orange items don't have all 4 mod slots available; so in that case you'll more than likely want to move on to a higher level orange item later.

Also, keep in mind that it starts to get pricier and pricier to remove old mods to make way for your new one later on. By 30 I was blowing well over 1,000cr just to remove one old mod. So in some cases it makes sense to just put the new one in over the old mod (destroying the old mod) if the older mods have outlived their usefulness stat-wise.

The various commendations vendors usually include one selling mods, and you can get some excellent ones from them as you move through the game. I also found that doing all the Tatooine class-bonus missions eventually led to a great (in terms of stats/armor #) mod as reward.

Don't know for sure but all of my early quest and drop orange rewards have all the normal three slots.  With constant upgrades there is no reason you can't use your level 8-10 weapon/gear all the way to 50.  The PVP orange gear available at 20 is very, very nice looking too especially on the agent.  I love a flowing trench coat.  I don't have any orange armor with the 4th augment slot yet.

The commendation rewards tend to kick in the middle of each level range (for example on the first planet past the starter the mods open up around 15).  One thing you can do too is buy the x5-x6 orange commendation weapon and pull the mods out to put in your other weapon.  It can come out to a few commendations less than buying them all separately.  Don't forget to check the GTN/AH either...I've seen orange gear going for as low as 500 credits while lesser purple gear is 5000.

As for the people on the fence...just give in.  I was on the fence and decided not to buy it.  I even cancelled my pre-order.  Now I'm playing and loving it more almost every day.  The game truly opens up in the mid teens.  I already have a sniper in the 20s, a bounty hunter getting close to that and most every class at 11-12.  

Also, screw the slicing nerf and screw the people who yelled for it.  No one in the mid 30s to 50 was calling for the nerf and when you get that high almost everything is so expensive it's ridiculous.  The mobs in the 40s drop more money than slicing was bringing in for most people.  Right now I'm in the high 300s in slicing and I'm making about 2000-3000 credits per 30-45 min of sending companions out.  And that doesn't include spending a couple thousand on a mission only to have it fail and waste 30 minutes.  Bah, hated knee jerk reaction fixes in WoW and was really hoping Bioware didn't go down that same road.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:27:04 PM by ericb » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:07 AM »

How does one go about learning new crafting recipes?  I heard it had something to do with reverse engineering items, but I have yet to find anything that I can reverse engineer, except for the mods that I pull from my orange items when upgrading them.

My Jedi Guardian should hit level 20 tomorrow, which will mark the longest I've ever stuck with an MMO.  smile

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2011, 05:40:07 AM

How does one go about learning new crafting recipes?  I heard it had something to do with reverse engineering items, but I have yet to find anything that I can reverse engineer, except for the mods that I pull from my orange items when upgrading them.

My Jedi Guardian should hit level 20 tomorrow, which will mark the longest I've ever stuck with an MMO.  smile

The crafting master either on the fleet or at Coruscant has a lot for you to buy, with the number increasing as your skill level goes up.  Slicers also find the and put them on the market, although this seems to vary by vocation -- I've seen lots of armor recipes, but only one artifice recipe ever.

Also the main way to improve your skills is to reverse engineer the stuff that you yourself make.  This will unlock a blue version and then ultimately a purple version -- odds of an unlock are estimated to be about 1 in 10.  Depending on the specific item you are reverse engineering, there may be multiple possible blue and purple recipes.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2011, 05:40:07 AM

How does one go about learning new crafting recipes?  I heard it had something to do with reverse engineering items, but I have yet to find anything that I can reverse engineer, except for the mods that I pull from my orange items when upgrading them.

My Jedi Guardian should hit level 20 tomorrow, which will mark the longest I've ever stuck with an MMO.  smile
On biochem, I regularly reverse engineer stims I've made. So far only once has it really paid off -- a purple recipe for a reusable stim that only I can use (I gave it to a Heroic team partner once, and he indicated the stim was labeled that only Blackjack could use it). Usually the purple receipt has at least one ingredient/component that's a pain in the ass to make, find or buy at AH.
=========================

As far as Slicing goes, I doubt that many people were screaming for nerfs. They were all too busy switching over to Slicing once their friends bragged about how profitable it was. smirk It wasn't like Slicing was something other players didn't have access to. If they wanted it, they dropped their own crafting skills and just switched over. If Slicing was unique to say, Jedi, then I think maybe you would've seen a lot of people complaining because whenever some class has access to something wonderfully profitable and others don't, then you have a problem. But that wasn't the case here.

Bioware's always talking about looking at datametrics in the game, and no doubt data said Slicing was producing profits Bioware perceived as way out of bounds compared to other skills. What puzzles me is how that wasn't found out during the lengthy testing and beta testing weekends process. Did nobody ever get far enough in Slicing during testing for the data to illustrate (via datametrics) how over-the-top profitable it was?  icon_confused Making this change in late testing or even early access probably wouldn't have caused the fan-rage it is now.

Also, I do think the change deserved more than a one line mention in the patch notes. Maybe a community blog post explaining why Slicing wasn't seen as an issue during beta but was after launch, just how much % "overly profitable" did Bioware consider it, and if they felt it was damaging the economy or something else, explain why/how. "Brought into line with other crafting skills" in the patch notes strikes me as more when you're waving your hand dismissively at your companion to go sell some grey loot. The community deserved a better explanation.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 29, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

Actually, they did adjust slicing during beta.  The thing is they didnt adjust it enough. I can understand why, they likely didnt want to over nerf it and hit it a little too soft.  It was severely imbalanced compared to other skills and needed adjusting accordingly.  Also regarding the patch note announcement, those are patch notes, not a blog and besides pretty much everyone in the game 1) knew slicing was way too profitable and 2) knew it was going to get nerfed asap.  You heard about it in the forums, you heard about it in in-game chat.  I dont have slicing as a skill, it seemed too much like a cheat to me but Ive heard plenty of people who do have slicing say that it is still very lucrative and is still likely the most profitable skill available.  It just isnt quite as economy breaking as it used to be.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 29, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

Played last night.  That download looked too huge, so I just grabbed the box at wal mart. 

I made a sith jedi warrior on a pvp server, and a trooper on a PVE server.  shit, looked up and it was 12:30 AM.

I have a couple questions:

1) is there respects in this game?  (So I do not have to sweat researching a character right now and just do whatever)

2) light and dark choices...  I keep wanting to choose dark answers with my trooper.  How are these choices going to effect him?   Should I be trying to boost his light or dark, or just answer whatever I feel like at the moment and do not worry about it?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 29, 2011, 03:39:13 PM

Played last night.  That download looked too huge, so I just grabbed the box at wal mart. 

I made a sith jedi warrior on a pvp server, and a trooper on a PVE server.  shit, looked up and it was 12:30 AM.

I have a couple questions:

1) is there respects in this game?  (So I do not have to sweat researching a character right now and just do whatever)

2) light and dark choices...  I keep wanting to choose dark answers with my trooper.  How are these choices going to effect him?   Should I be trying to boost his light or dark, or just answer whatever I feel like at the moment and do not worry about it?

1.  Pretty sure there are respecs.  From what I understand (I haven't done one yet), the first is free and then they get progressively more expensive as you do them.
2.  You'll probably want to steer one way or the other.  You get light or dark side points for certain dialog/event choices, which build up an overall good/bad meter.  This meter has specific level milestones, and certain equipment isn't usable unless you're one or the other (i.e. Light II or Dark I).  I imagine waffling between them will ultimately gimp you in terms of what gear you can use.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2011, 03:48:41 PM

1.  Pretty sure there are respecs.  From what I understand (I haven't done one yet), the first is free and then they get progressively more expensive as you do them.

There are.  On the Fleet for your respective side, there is a guy called a Skill Mentor over by all the trainers.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: December 29, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 29, 2011, 03:39:13 PM

If you wanna be bipolar as my Trooper>Commando so far is, and be a character who's completely unpredictable, then go for it.  icon_smile As long as you stay on top of upgrading Orange equipment and weapons, you'll probably always be in pretty good shape. Will you miss out on being able to use something now and then? Certainly -- that doesn't mean your "middle of the road" character won't still be effective and fun to play.

I do wish the game did more with the "long term" ramifications of my character's choices. What I mean is if say, Blackjack the smuggler was choosing dark side choices to off various characters abruptly early, shouldn't that at some point give him sort of reputation that later story quest NPCs might comment on, or would cause them to express fear of him? I really haven't seen much of that in the game so far.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2635 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 29, 2011, 01:57:01 PM

I dont have slicing as a skill, it seemed too much like a cheat to me but Ive heard plenty of people who do have slicing say that it is still very lucrative and is still likely the most profitable skill available.  It just isnt quite as economy breaking as it used to be.

It's totally worthless now, at least for sending off on missions (to make money). I used to get 100-200% profit sending off on a mission (generally - so it would cost 1000 credits and 30 minutes later I'd get 2000-3000 back). Now I get like 5% (so it costs 1000 and I get 1050 back). It's such a waste of time now for mission sending.

World lockboxes on the other hand still provide small bits of cash. Nothing fancy though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 29, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 29, 2011, 08:23:59 PM

I dont have slicing as a skill, it seemed too much like a cheat to me but Ive heard plenty of people who do have slicing say that it is still very lucrative and is still likely the most profitable skill available.  It just isnt quite as economy breaking as it used to be.

It's totally worthless now, at least for sending off on missions (to make money). I used to get 100-200% profit sending off on a mission (generally - so it would cost 1000 credits and 30 minutes later I'd get 2000-3000 back). Now I get like 5% (so it costs 1000 and I get 1050 back). It's such a waste of time now for mission sending.

World lockboxes on the other hand still provide small bits of cash. Nothing fancy though.

you still get schematics from lockboxes.  Now it's useful in the sense that if you're not doing anything else with your companion you can send them on that and at least get your money back with a chance to get a schematic.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 29, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 29, 2011, 08:38:55 PM

Quote from: Destructor on December 29, 2011, 08:23:59 PM

I dont have slicing as a skill, it seemed too much like a cheat to me but Ive heard plenty of people who do have slicing say that it is still very lucrative and is still likely the most profitable skill available.  It just isnt quite as economy breaking as it used to be.

you still get schematics from lockboxes.  Now it's useful in the sense that if you're not doing anything else with your companion you can send them on that and at least get your money back with a chance to get a schematic.

Boring and a bad nerf.  <boring slicing rant removed smile> An adjustment would have been ok (and maybe needed) but the absolute nerf was uncalled for.

Really though it's the only black eye I'd give the game so far.  I'm really enjoying it (even the space battles).  I love the stories and can't wait to get to higher levels.  I do think some of the force melee users could use an adjustment up though...their dps vs survivability is no where near as good as some of the other classes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:44:11 PM by ericb » Logged
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:59 AM »

Got my sith warrior juggernaut up to 42 today. I am tanked specced. Very rarely run into anything I can't outlast. Of course I am basically forced to use Quinn as my companion which kinda sucks in terms of bringing out other crew members for anything. Not sure why sith warriors get two tank companions. Really makes no sense to me.

My crewskills are cybertech, salvaging, and underworld trading. They have served me pretty good. I always kept it pretty high so I was making "blue" armor and modification slot items for upcoming levels. So now that I have 5 orange armor pieces (and 1 lightsaber), I get a substantial boost whenever I hit a new mod level especially since armor rating on armor is directly tied to the armoring slot modification.

I screwed up at the beginning and had some light-side points where I wish I hadn't. But now I always pick dark side option if there is one. But really the only benefit I am seeing is the two relic slot items you can purchase from the dark side vendor. I do like how your character's look changes with each level of dark side, but thats just a cosmetic change.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 30, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »

jedi sage's get the worst companions in the game. qyzen is just meh, all he talks about are stupid points and half the time i have no idea what he's saying because i can't be bothered to look at the chat. tharan is just, gah, no thanks. i'd rather have holiday, she at least has a personality. plus her stun is awesome, he's really only useful for elites. i haven't officially gotten this zeneth or wahtever dude yet, but i can tell he's just going to be equally annoying personality wise. plus he's useless to me skill wise as well.

qyzen is only useful because he tanks like a boss and my heals are more than enough for elites.

also story spoilers on chapter 1 ending
[spoilers]way to pull an obvious kotor there bioware. OMG THE DEAD GUY IS REALLY THE SITH LOLOLOL. real original  Roll Eyes it was cool 8 or whatever years ago. [/spoilers]

i'm also getting a bit bored of the questing. kill this, collect that. the world just feels so dead too. the server is listed as heavy to full even at 2am and yet i see no one. a pvp server is useless because i've seen a sith 3 times. there's just no sense of danger of having to watch my back. makes questing even more boring. i'm only lvl 34, i assume that's about average for people who play a few hours a day since early access. monday was really the only day i've played for a long stretch since then too. this phasing thing for the world is stupid and needs to go like right now.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: