http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:05:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 129630 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 23, 2011, 03:31:07 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 22, 2011, 11:30:19 PM

Update....

Talked with customer service at Origin/EA.  They told me my order was under review but could not tell me what the hell that means.  I then asked them if they normally charge customers while their order is being reviewed and got silence and then finally "you haven't really been charged yet."  I then told them that I had already called my bank and the $ was paid to them and deducted from my account.   I was immediately told it needed to be escalated and a supervisor would call me back today, tomorrow, or after the holidays.... saywhat  I threatened to dispute the charge with my bank immediately and magically a supervisor appeared and I now have my code.  Wish me luck with the rest of the process!   nod

Morlac, man, I hope your situation gets resolved soon. That sucks not to be able to play over the holiday due to them 'rationin' out' activation codes.

I got in the game this morning at 4:30am (had to work today).   icon_biggrin

I can totally understand them rationing out activation keys but they shouldn't be accepting money unless you are given a key immediately.  I could have gone to a local store and gotten one but when they took my $ and then just left me trying to figure out what the hell was going on it was disappointing to say the least.  One of the major pluses of digital copies is the instant, impulsive access to games (for me at least).  You don't generally hand your money to a cashier and then have them just stare back at you while they deposit it in the register wondering what the hell else you want.  Your game maybe?  I'm 0 for 2 so far on purchases with Origin and it being even a semi pleasurable experience.  At least I was able to use my 25% off coupon they gave me from the BF3 shenanigans. 

Anyhow, once I got the activation key and away from Origin everything on Bioware's side was smooth sailing.  Rolled a couple guys on The Wanderers server (forgot name) but have no idea what I want to play or what server.  Think Gter's are on that Cantina Server?  Only played about 4 hours during the beta as I did not want to spoil anything.  Though, I played enough to get exited about a mmorpg for the first time since EQ2.  And now I'm rambling.....15 mins to go at work....I can feel force already....it kinda tickles.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 23, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 22, 2011, 11:30:19 PM

Update....

Talked with customer service at Origin/EA.  They told me my order was under review but could not tell me what the hell that means.  I then asked them if they normally charge customers while their order is being reviewed and got silence and then finally "you haven't really been charged yet."  I then told them that I had already called my bank and the $ was paid to them and deducted from my account.   I was immediately told it needed to be escalated and a supervisor would call me back today, tomorrow, or after the holidays.... saywhat  I threatened to dispute the charge with my bank immediately and magically a supervisor appeared and I now have my code.  Wish me luck with the rest of the process!   nod
Sorry, man, that sounds awful. disgust Doesn't speak well of a fledgling Steam wannabe (Origin).

All I can offer is that I think you'll have a lot of fun with the game itself  icon_smile but it's unfair you had to go through the wringer to get there.

What's crazy is I tell people "I'm too old to stay up until 4 a.m. playing a PC game!" And that's exactly what I did last night, desperate to finally get a mount (speeder/STAP). So far (knock on wood), I never really get tired of the combat, or voices or what have you. In the mid 20s, the game just feels even more fun and some of the enemies, esp. bosses, are very challenging and cool.

I've been battling Shocktroopers, AI Bounty Hunters, pig guards with furious knockback, military types that pound me with so many missiles and grenades I can hardly see the screen at times. All sorts of awesome.  icon_cool

In one of my Heroic4s, the rest of my team fell, and I was left one on one with a Shocktrooper (I think that's the name). We each pulverized each other with a variety of attacks. I wish I had video (FRAPS failed to load for some reason in Windows). I used everything i had, a medpack, a stim, all my attacks and gimmicks. The other guys were rooting for me. And the bastige nailed me just as I was about to finish him off.  Tongue

My only Smuggler complaint is the cover system is still wonky. Sometimes I can't fire certain attacks from cover and it's not really clear why (sometimes it's line-of-sight, other times it's not clear). All sorts of stuff that looks like it oughta provide hard cover doesn't, or sometimes it does if I approach it fron one particular side, or if I wait a couple minutes it suddenly works etc. It's nothing I can't live with, but I hope maybe they'll keep trying to "polish" the cover system.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:22:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 23, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »

I'm 37 and have a three year old.  I have every intention of staying up until I pass out at my desk playing this tonight!  Sad but true I am about to call my Mother in law to watch my daughter tonight.  5 mins to go at work....

morlac00 on PSN
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 23, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

I'm loving it the more I play...the higher levels are much better than some of the starter worlds.  The IA story continues to be outstanding.  I'm growing to hate the random disconnects though.  It totally kills space battles.  Happening more and more too.  No connection issues on my end...usually averaging 50~ latency and running full everything at 70 fps.  Then boom...2-3 times in a row. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »

Do you guys know if you get social points for any grouped conversation or only in Flashpoints?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: December 23, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 23, 2011, 07:47:13 PM

Do you guys know if you get social points for any grouped conversation or only in Flashpoints?

I've tried it turning in things like group and heroic quests and we didn't get any points so I'm leaning towards flashpoint/instances only.

Also, queues are back.  Already 10 mins on the EST RP servers and it's only 3.  Can't wait to see what tonight looks like.

EDIT:  not good.  Lag is getting worse by the hour.  Plays fine then 55000 ms latency then disconnect.  Usually get the customer service disconnect error.  Then back in queue again...up to 15 mins now at 3:45 est.  Game actually hung and crashed just a minute ago.  Something tells me this weekend might be a disaster for connection and queue problems especially with half of bioware/EA gone for the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:13:41 PM by ericb » Logged
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »

Are you aware of other people on your server having similar problems? Admittedly, I'm on a different server but I've never seen a random disconnect or lag spike since early access started.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on December 23, 2011, 11:09:26 PM

Are you aware of other people on your server having similar problems? Admittedly, I'm on a different server but I've never seen a random disconnect or lag spike since early access started.

I'm assuming so...not many complaining but I notice a couple from the guild dropping and logging back in at the same time.  It's also very random...I was dropped, played a short while then dropped twice in 5 mins earlier.  I then played for two+ hours with no problems and didn't even get any lag spikes.  Didn't get dropped at all last night but a couple times the night before that.  Quite a few complaints online about the same thing as well though it seems to be limited to a range of servers and not all of them.  I'm even running with shadows off because someone said it may help (was still hitting 70fps with them on but every little thing might help).  I'm too invested in my server to move though unless they offer free transfers at this point.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 23, 2011, 06:25:19 PM

I'm 37 and have a three year old.  I have every intention of staying up until I pass out at my desk playing this tonight!  Sad but true I am about to call my Mother in law to watch my daughter tonight.  5 mins to go at work....

Hahah, go for it. At one point in my gaming life I had 3 kids hanging off my arms. 2 years apart. So those times where you could hunker down and put in some serious, undisturbed hours on the PC, were water to a thirsty man.

Have fun!!!!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: December 23, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »

I've only had to queue once, and that was for under 5 minutes.  Haven't had any connection problems either...guess I'm just lucky.

Just got off the starter planet and onto the fleet, and I seriously think my brain is going to explode.  Thought I was doing pretty well figuring this MMO thing out, but they just threw about 500 different elements at me at once and I don't even know where to start.  Crew skills, crafting skills, character specialties, spaceships, flashpoints, weapon and item customization, what looks to be about 200 different vendors...gah!!!  Debating whether I want to start doing some serious research, or just jump on the shuttle to the next planet and figure it out (or not) as I go.  Leaning towards the latter, as it sounds like more fun.

I did make the decision to go Jedi Guardian instead of Sentinel.  While dual-wielding lightsabers sounded awesome, I'm guessing I will need the defensive stills much more than the offensive.  Also read that there's only about a 5% DPS difference between the two, and the Guardian has much better defense/armor.  We'll see how that goes.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 24, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »

Just roll with it...you won't miss much by spending hours on the station figuring out every little thing.  The station has everything though:

GTN (the auction house)
The daily flashpoint kiosk
The PVP kiosk
The flashpoint droids
PVP and Commendation Vendors
All class trainers
Crew storage
The special VIP, CE and Key Vendors
and more... smile

One thing for the new players...keep your orange gear.  All "mods" that make up the stats/armor can be replaced so it stays leveled with you.  So if you find something you really like you can keep it all the way to 50.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: December 24, 2011, 01:08:43 AM »

I have to admit when it comes to storylines, they nailed it with the Imperial Agent.  Its been very fun to play and they styles of missions vary from seduction and subterfuge to behind the lines combat missions.  Im at level 26 and it just keeps getting better.  I will say, on Tatooine, things have taken a turn towards being much tougher.  The mobs are far less forgiving and you have to be careful with your attacks or youll bite off far more than you can chew.
  Regarding the game itself, I havent had one disconnect or drop.  I play on a high population server.  I have a friend I run with occasionally and he drops often.  The main difference is our service provider. I have AT&T DSL and he has Comcast.  He has the top tier home internet that they offer and always has issues.  Im betting the issues with disconnects most people are experiencing have less to do with Bioware and more to do with peoples equipment and providers.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 24, 2011, 01:08:43 AM

I have to admit when it comes to storylines, they nailed it with the Imperial Agent.  Its been very fun to play and they styles of missions vary from seduction and subterfuge to behind the lines combat missions.  Im at level 26 and it just keeps getting better.  I will say, on Tatooine, things have taken a turn towards being much tougher.  The mobs are far less forgiving and you have to be careful with your attacks or youll bite off far more than you can chew.
  Regarding the game itself, I havent had one disconnect or drop.  I play on a high population server.  I have a friend I run with occasionally and he drops often.  The main difference is our service provider. I have AT&T DSL and he has Comcast.  He has the top tier home internet that they offer and always has issues.  Im betting the issues with disconnects most people are experiencing have less to do with Bioware and more to do with peoples equipment and providers.

I was looking through the list on the swtor site about people complaining and I bet 75% of the people complaining had comcast.  The problem is there is usually no alternative especially for the majority of the country.  Some larger metro areas may have FIOS or AT&T or even decent DSL but most of us have one decent provider and that's it.  Still, EA is big enough they may be able to pressure comcast into finding the problem.  I don't expect any real fixes before the new year though...comcast is slow as hell on a good day much less over the holiday break.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 24, 2011, 03:33:07 AM »

I knew it was a trap. The scene had trap written all over it what with the dead Jawas strewn about circling something sticking out of the Tatooine sand.

Even knowing it was a trap I still stopped, went over and looked a little closer. Even though every instinct was screaming at me I decided to click on the "Interesting looking skull" partially buried in the sand.

That's when something...big...came out of the sand and turned me into a pasty, smuggler flavored goo and then bent my wookie.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: December 24, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 23, 2011, 11:27:13 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 23, 2011, 06:25:19 PM

Hahah, go for it. At one point in my gaming life I had 3 kids hanging off my arms. 2 years apart. So those times where you could hunker down and put in some serious, undisturbed hours on the PC, were water to a thirsty man.

Have fun!!!!

I think I have a gaming hangover, I made it to about 3:30 am which is super late for me.  I'm tired, grumpy, have a headache and my eyes are bloodshot.  Think Ill try a little of this 'hair of the dog' thing I've heard about and fire the game up now!

morlac00 on PSN
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: December 24, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

Man, the difficulty really ramps up at around level 28/29 or maybe I just poorly specced my character.  I hit what I believe to be the final Smuggler mission on Tatooine (involving two force users) and after repeated attempts could not beat that mission.  Instead I abandoned it and flew to Alderaan to pick up some more missions and level up.  After leveling to 29 and picking up some new, higher level gear for my companion I went back to Tatooine and tried again and still got wiped five times in a row.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: December 24, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 24, 2011, 07:33:37 PM

Man, the difficulty really ramps up at around level 28/29 or maybe I just poorly specced my character.  I hit what I believe to be the final Smuggler mission on Tatooine (involving two force users) and after repeated attempts could not beat that mission.  Instead I abandoned it and flew to Alderaan to pick up some more missions and level up.  After leveling to 29 and picking up some new, higher level gear for my companion I went back to Tatooine and tried again and still got wiped five times in a row.

I skipped tatooine and moved straight to alderaan.  Just earned my level 32-34 companion at level 27.  In 4 missions I killed 8 mobs.  Sneaking is fun.  (I'm trying to progress without levelling much due to Kato's holiday slywink )  Two missions I completed with only one kill each (the boss).  It's a whole different challenge.  Fighting 2 30 bosses is rough at 27
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: December 24, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 24, 2011, 07:48:13 PM

I skipped tatooine and moved straight to alderaan.  Just earned my level 32-34 companion at level 27.  In 4 missions I killed 8 mobs.  Sneaking is fun.  (I'm trying to progress without levelling much due to Kato's holiday slywink )  Two missions I completed with only one kill each (the boss).  It's a whole different challenge.  Fighting 2 30 bosses is rough at 27

Does this mess with the main class story?  They have you go to both places and I wonder if you skip Tatooine whether it doesn't allow you to progress until you go back to Tatooine and complete that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: December 24, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 24, 2011, 08:25:45 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on December 24, 2011, 07:48:13 PM

Does this mess with the main class story?  They have you go to both places and I wonder if you skip Tatooine whether it doesn't allow you to progress until you go back to Tatooine and complete that.
yeah, I will have to go back to advance.  I'll do that when Kato returns. I really wanted my third companion so I can grind craft while watching netflix and hulu slywink
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: December 24, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »

Man, the difficulty really ramps up at around level 28/29 or maybe I just poorly specced my character.  I hit what I believe to be the final Smuggler mission on Tatooine (involving two force users) and after repeated attempts could not beat that mission.  Instead I abandoned it and flew to Alderaan to pick up some more missions and level up.  After leveling to 29 and picking up some new, higher level gear for my companion I went back to Tatooine and tried again and still got wiped five times in a row.
Same thing is true of the Jedi Knight.  The story boss before heading to Tatooine tore me a new one.  It wasn't even close, he threw me around like a rag doll.  I went back to the station and through 20k credits into gear and was just barely able to beat him.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:37:55 PM by ydejin » Logged
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2581 on: December 24, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 24, 2011, 09:35:45 PM

Man, the difficulty really ramps up at around level 28/29 or maybe I just poorly specced my character.  I hit what I believe to be the final Smuggler mission on Tatooine (involving two force users) and after repeated attempts could not beat that mission.  Instead I abandoned it and flew to Alderaan to pick up some more missions and level up.  After leveling to 29 and picking up some new, higher level gear for my companion I went back to Tatooine and tried again and still got wiped five times in a row.
Same thing is true of the Jedi Knight.  The story boss before heading to Tatooine tore me a new one.  It wasn't even close, he threw me around like a rag doll.  I went back to the station and through 20k credits into gear and was just barely able to beat him.

Uh oh. I'm questing on Taris now, but in the end of Coruscant (level 16 or so), I did have a story end-battle where I was pondering the oddly high difficulty. Although I managed to defeat the boss first attempt, I had to be on my toes both with damage and healing my companion. Even so my companion died as well. (Actually it was kind of comedic as the companion and the boss died exactly at the same time. They literally fell on top of each other.)

My first worry after that fight was, if I had trouble in this end-part, how much more trouble will I have in the later end-parts? Maybe I also have to get better armor. I already fiddled with this on Taris, but it doesn't feel like it will make all that much of a difference.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:58:24 PM by Chordian » Logged
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

Hey guys.  Mainly a lurker here, but figured I would see if I could get a couple of questions answered, if you don't mind.  First off, I'm currently deployed to Honduras (USAF) and am paying for internet by the freaking gigabyte basically.  What kind of bandwidth use should I expect?  Goggle isn't telling me much, but I'm guessing it's about the same as WoW (which I can find info on it).  I can purchase 2 GB chunks every week for like $7 or 5 GB chunks (supposed to be for a month) for $27.  Not the cheapest means, but I'm just happy to be able to play while I'm here.  In addition, the retail game should be here any day (Crosses fingers).  Does anyone know what I can expect the "update" download to be like after my install.  Downloading the client beforehand at 20GB just isn't cost effective for me.  I'm chomping at the bit and want to make sure I have plenty of bandwidth before it gets here.  Thanks for the help.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 26, 2011, 02:16:22 AM »

Quote from: Chordian on December 24, 2011, 11:54:06 PM

Quote from: ydejin on December 24, 2011, 09:35:45 PM

Uh oh. I'm questing on Taris now, but in the end of Coruscant (level 16 or so), I did have a story end-battle where I was pondering the oddly high difficulty. Although I managed to defeat the boss first attempt, I had to be on my toes both with damage and healing my companion. Even so my companion died as well. (Actually it was kind of comedic as the companion and the boss died exactly at the same time. They literally fell on top of each other.)

My first worry after that fight was, if I had trouble in this end-part, how much more trouble will I have in the later end-parts? Maybe I also have to get better armor. I already fiddled with this on Taris, but it doesn't feel like it will make all that much of a difference.
Don't forget that anyone can join you on a class quest you're finding tough (afik, if it's some of the same class, they just need to check the box to allow access to "same-class quests"), which is how I finally completed a really tough Smuggler storyline quest instance yesterday in Tatooine. Ultimately, I just needed the friendly NPC to battle the main boss (it wasn't really clear to me), the guy who helped me pointed out, but he did join me and it made all the difference. I try to Friend anyone I have a good teaming experience with, in hopes they might save my bacon some day.

I don't think ultimately I needed help on that one, I just needed someone who had done it to tell me their strategy. The Sith boss in that was tearing me a new one but in the end I just needed to to let the friendly NPC do the tough stuff. While I wiped a couple of times, it felt pretty awesome to me for a PVE encounter.

I like a challenge, and what you guys are telling me makes me think I need to get a Jedi started soon.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:18:18 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 26, 2011, 03:40:01 AM »

Ive noticed the same thing on the Empire side.  The difficulty definitely jumps once you reach the mid to end quests on Tatooine.  The final class quest boss on Tatooine tore me up without breaking a sweat. I was level 27 so I may have been a bit underleveled but it was surely an eye opener.  I am trying to push my guy up to 29 before I take him again and I'll also mod up and improve my equipment. Especially on my companion who is definitely a bit undergeared.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 26, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

Can you guys give me some hints on understanding how gear works?  A couple quick questions:

1.  I keep hearing that you should be looking for "orange gear".  I think that it is because orange is upgradeable gear that you can add mods to and keep current as you level up.  Am I understanding that correctly, and is that (generally) the best way to go? 

2.  When you're looking at new orange gear (i.e. a new lightsaber), there are always a few things listed in blue, such as 'hilt' or 'crystal'.  I'm guessing these are the mod 'slots' that you can drop stuff into to make it more powerful, correct?  Also, what do the numbers mean after these slots?  For example, the lightsaber I looked at last night said hilt (15), and I'm not sure what the 15 refers to.   

3.  Does orange gear ever drop from regular mobs/bosses, or do you have to buy it from vendors?  I have a ton (25) of these Coruscant credits, but I have no idea what I should actually spend them on and don't want to gimp myself by buying something stupid.  And does orange armor exist?  I have yet to see one in the wild or at a vendor.

TIA

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 26, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »

I'm no expert here but I think I can give you enough to go forward with:

1. Orange gear is good because you can add mods to it, yes, keeping current with your level through the modding system.  Is it generally the best way to go?  I can tell you that my crafted gear is easier to maintain because it keeps up and doesn't require the mod investment.  Otherwise, I haven't often found anything in quests or drops that really blows away my fully modded orange gear.

2. yes, the things listed in blue are the mods currently loaded onto the item.  The number is the item rating of the mod -- the BW version of item level and an abstracted evaluation of the general quality of the gear.

3.  The ways I have received orange gear: commendation turn in at vendor, boss drop, quest reward.  This doesn't mean normal/strong/elite mobs don't drop it.  I've just never experienced it.  Orange armor does exist.  I'm surprised you haven't encountered a chest piece in your quest rewards on Cor.  It has different slots than the weapon mods.

If you are okay with researching on the web, Torhead's a great database of what has been found so far.  (SW version of WoWhead).

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: December 26, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

Just wanted to say -- make sure you pursue the Tatooine "bonus quests" all the way to the bloody end until there's nothing left there but repeatable Heroics. The reward was a pretty awesome, mod-able pistol for my Smuggler (I assume a great, moddable class-item for anyone who completes it).  icon_cool

Although some of the Heroics there seem an enormous pain in the arse, overally I really enjoyed the whole gamut of questing across the planet.  icon_smile I'm almost sad to move on to Alderaan.

I really like the "on the fly" updating of quest objectives by that little visiting droid globe (what do we call it?). I realize all it's really doing is sort of "hiding" multiple objectives and revealing them one by one -- rather than giving you 6 different objectives on one quest up front. I still like it. There's a bit of suspense -- "what are they going to ask me to do next?"  icon_smile

The Czerka dig site was great imho. Think "Stargate" mixed with some sort of science fiction-jedi-zombie-droid-army movie.  icon_smile Some interesting combat situations thrown into the mix.  icon_eek Still solo-able, but I think that area would've been a blast with a group.
==========================
As much as I love the game, you only have to look at Darth Hater's scary looking dev tracker (which includes all moderation posts, not just 'dev stuff') to see how many people are upset about so many things right now:
http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker

Bioware still has a lot of work to do, I just hope the folks having problems technically or billing or in other aspects other than "I just don't like how the game plays" can have patience cause I think they'll really enjoy it when the game is working for 'em.

For my part I still have a 9000 disconnect error about once a day (the entire game becomes nonfunctional except chat, and I have to either alt-tab to desktop or even resort to shutting power off). And at one point today the whole screen when black when I made a choice in a dialogue screen. But I really don't know if all that is the game or my computer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:54:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: December 26, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »

I just wanted to mention, since BJ referring to people having technical problems reminded me, that I found a workaround for my guild chat/party chat bug.  This alone has made it 3 times easier to enjoy the game and overlook some of the other bugs -- (outside of one char not being able to advance his story quest).

And, naturally, despite my earlier doom and gloom prognosis, I've become addicted.  No matter what the long term holds in store for this game, I certainly will have gotten my money's worth.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 27, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »

Finally got my first orange armor as part of a long quest line on Coruscant, and bought a new lightsaber as well.   dude

I'm a little confused about how armor is calculated, though.  The orange armor I picked up was listed as Armor 24 (rating 44), but when I threw on a "+40 armor" mod, it made the final armor total  256.  Is there some sort of multiplier that comes into play with higher level equipment?  I'm just a little fuzzy on how 25 (base armor) + 44 (mod) comes out to 256.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:52 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 27, 2011, 12:20:26 AM

Finally got my first orange armor as part of a long quest line on Coruscant, and bought a new lightsaber as well.   dude

I'm a little confused about how armor is calculated, though.  The orange armor I picked up was listed as Armor 24 (rating 44), but when I threw on a "+40 armor" mod, it made the final armor total  256.  Is there some sort of multiplier that comes into play with higher level equipment?  I'm just a little fuzzy on how 25 (base armor) + 44 (mod) comes out to 256.

AIUI Orange Equipment gets their primary statistic determined by one of the mods.  For Lightsabers the damage is determined by the quality of the Hilt mod.  For clothing the armor value is determined by the Armor mod.  I'm not sure what the "primary" mod for guns are, as I don't have an Orange gun for my Smuggler alt yet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 27, 2011, 02:47:31 AM »

So, um, is my companion supposed to be gone?  Minor spoilers:
I'm on the final Coroscant mission.  We completed the objectives at the prison in the Justicar territory, Kira told me we needed to head to the Jedi Temple for the final confrontation, then she simply disappeared after the cut-scene.  I fought my way back out (barely...things get awfully dicey without a companion) and took a taxi to the Jedi Temple, and she's still not there.  I'm really hoping that's not a bug, as I'm seeing a number of other Jedi Knights standing at the elevator to get to that final objective, and they all have their companions with them. 

Is there somewhere you can go to re-recruit companions?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 27, 2011, 03:26:24 AM »

Gratch, press N to open your companion window.  You likely need to just summon her.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:52 AM »

That worked, thanks.

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 27, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 27, 2011, 12:32:52 AM

AIUI Orange Equipment gets their primary statistic determined by one of the mods.  For Lightsabers the damage is determined by the quality of the Hilt mod.  For clothing the armor value is determined by the Armor mod.  I'm not sure what the "primary" mod for guns are, as I don't have an Orange gun for my Smuggler alt yet.

For weapons, it's the "Barrel" mod.

And yeah, the entire point of the orange gear is that, if you find one (or a set) with a look you like, you're supposed to be able to keep them for the entire game just by upgrading the mods -- particularly the Hilt/Armor/Barrel ones but the other slots as well, if you want to keep the secondary stat bonuses competitive as well.

The whole thing is sort of an intricate and oddly constructed approach to having Cosmetic gear / an "Appearance" tab. My Operative is rocking a jacket that he got on Hammer Station that I'd be quite happy to still be wearing at Level 50.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: December 27, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

I might create a custom "Gaming Trend Heroes" chat channel, which we can use when the guild chat functionality isn't working. Guild chat (for everybody, I think guild chat has its own server or something?) was off and on over the last few days.

I really hit a wall of exhaustion yesterday. After doing my laundry, I was waiting for my computer to run through a chkdsk process (since I'd hat to shut down my computer once or twice yesterday when the game stopped responding and I couldn't get to task manager), and took a nap which extended to about 6 1/2 hours.  icon_eek And then I napped a bit more the next few hours, at least when JJ the cat wasn't doing things to make me crazy.  icon_smile

Hopefully I'll be back on tonight after work, although maybe I'll just try to catch up on sleep for another evening.

I had hit something of a brick wall on Alderaan on the Paladins quest:
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's not a Heroic quest, but the Sith War apprentices consistently annihilated either companion (Corso or Bowdaar, and I have been upgrading their armor) and even though my Gunslinger does tremendous damage I couldn't out last 'em. They're basically ferocious DPS tanks, with nasty grappling hook and some sort of "dark power" holds -- the latter means my new "run around the boss firing at them" cheesy technique is pretty useless on this variety.

It might just be a matter of waiting another level (I'm 31 though, and more than high enough to be tackling Alderaan) and trying again at that point. Or asking for help, just couldn't flag anyone down in Alderaan yesterday.

Troops there also use freeze guns, so the growing theme around that level (28-32) seems to be throwing stuns and holds at you more often. While my toon has a couple tools to deal with that (Hunker Down, and the one that breaks stuns/holds/immobilizes), the cooldowns are fairly long. So there's some timing involved.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:14:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: December 27, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 26, 2011, 04:57:16 PM

And does orange armor exist?  I have yet to see one in the wild or at a vendor.

TIA

I've got orange pieces of gear for the head, chest, legs, feet, and weapon slots, so it definitely exists.  I've gotten some from commendations, some from bosses, and I think some from quests.  Not sure if I've seen orange just drop on a mob.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: December 27, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »

One thing I've noticed with every piece of orange armor that I've upgraded with new mods is that it won't display the new armor rating until after I equip it.  Once I'm wearing it the armor rating adjusts to the new mods.  Not sure if that's just a bug I'm seeing, but thought I would share in case anyone was confused about why the armor rating didn't appear to change after intalling a new armoring mod.     
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »

Thanks, I had wondered about that and did not equip an updated orange piece for just that reason.

Fortunately, I held on to it.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

They didn't fix the guild chat bug.  Or, at least they didn't announce a fix in the patch notes.  That's too bad.  There were large amounts of people with that, to my mind, game-breaking issue.

icon_frown

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: