http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 129754 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 19, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »

That's something geeks will say in chat all the time - "there are no rebs". Bleh, then why does the game itself call them rebels at times? Plus it's easier to say rebs than republic.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »

I have to say it drives me crazy every time someone calls an Imperial an "Imp" or "Imps". They never did that in the movies, probably because it sounds stupid.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 19, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

That's something geeks will say in chat all the time - "there are no rebs". Bleh, then why does the game itself call them rebels at times? Plus it's easier to say rebs than republic.

In certain Sith storylines there are true rebels -- Imperial citizens working to overthrow their own government.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »

Played my Sith Inquisitor (named Prarius) up to level 7 last night. And joined a friend's guild on the Krayt Dragon server. So far, so good. I'm enjoying being.... eveeelll. I liked that show scene where you got dark side points my torturing an acolyte at the Sith Temple. I made sure to go extra eveeeelll with it.  icon_razz
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »

How important is it to have your companions like you? Mako can be a bit of spoil sport. I ganked some target and she pooh poohed me with -30. I'm a bounty hunter, I need to collect bounties! They want you to be some bounty hunter with a heart of gold or something. I ain't Dog the Bounty Hunter, sister!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 19, 2011, 05:03:59 PM

How important is it to have your companions like you? Mako can be a bit of spoil sport. I ganked some target and she pooh poohed me with -30. I'm a bounty hunter, I need to collect bounties! They want you to be some bounty hunter with a heart of gold or something. I ain't Dog the Bounty Hunter, sister!
Honestly, I don't know.

Corso sometimes goes -1 on my choices but it often doesn't make sense to me. Once it was because I wanted to go have a drink with this gal on my ship. Is he jealous? Not that there'd be anything wrong with that.  icon_smile I mean, I can appreciate not wanting to be the Third Wheel, but he seemed good natured about "Oh I'll go do something for a while," so it seemed odd that he "lost affection" because of it.

And it does seem like at least half of my smuggler's "light side" choices are "lie to someone to protect someone else's hide." I hope kids playing this don't take that away as their main SWOTR lesson.
"Hey daddy! Should I lie to everybody now because it's the 'light side' thing to do?"
"Of course, Junior! By the way, could you tell mommy that daddy's really busy with important errands?"
"Light side ftw, daddy!'
  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:34:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 19, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 06:30:54 PM

Honestly, I don't know.

Make sure you read the codex entries for your companions.  It gives you ideas about their likes and dislikes.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 19, 2011, 06:50:13 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 06:30:54 PM

Honestly, I don't know.

Make sure you read the codex entries for your companions.  It gives you ideas about their likes and dislikes.
So far I know Corso doesn't like it when I hang out with girls, go for a drink without him or choose dialogue answers that indicate "I'm in it for the money," which is pretty much what Smugglers do, right? Nag, nag, nag!  *Fist Shaking* icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »

dislikes: "bullying, cruelty, snobs". So was the target something you could easily crush?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 19, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »

Quote from: raydude on December 19, 2011, 07:05:52 PM

dislikes: "bullying, cruelty, snobs". So was the target something you could easily crush?

Well, considering she was standing in front of me unarmed... I guess killing her was cruel as well. But it didn't exactly give me the option to handcuff her.

I just found out my female trooper will not be able to romance Elara Dorne. Doesn't Bioware know guys play these games? slywink

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »

I liberated my gunslinger's ship today, and was transported back to my youth, geeking out with happiness as I saw the camera pan out to show my own version of the Millenium Falcon.  That entire scene was awesome.     
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 19, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

I liberated my gunslinger's ship today, and was transported back to my youth, geeking out with happiness as I saw the camera pan out to show my own version of the Millenium Falcon.  That entire scene was awesome.    
You can give rides to folks on your ship. I think I mentioned riding in another smuggler's ship back to Taris because I was flat broke.  icon_cool Of course, you reach your destination in about 2 seconds, so it's a bit deflating...

I think maybe you have to enable the "OK to share same class's instance" in preferences (maybe?). Then you can follow another player into their ship landing bay "instance" and you'll be able to get on the ship. Might a cool place to hold a "guild meeting" or something. At least until/unless they add Guild Capital Ships down the road.  icon_smile

I find it telling that nobody remembers a single line from the movies Episodes I-III afik. For most of us it doesn't matter if this is The Old Republic era and Episodes 4-6 wasn't. I still relate everything cool I run into (cantina, smuggler ship, etc.) to those more beloved movies, and a lot of us have fun trading our favorite lines while we're in game even if the eras don't match.

Someone from here was bragging about how rich they were in game (from Slicing), and on cue I said, "Don't get cocky, kid!" (SW:ANH) icon_smile

I was thinking I might name my trooper "Goldenrod."
"HURRY UP, Goldenrod! You're gonna be a permanent exhibit!" (TESB) icon_cool

I believe there's a guild called "Scruffy Looking Nerf-Herders" and I crack up every time I see the nameplate on someone.  icon_lol

I realize there's a thousand good reasons for setting this game in the Old Republic era. But part of me still wishes, if they were gonna kill off SWG anyway, they'd have let Bioware take a stab at that era that we all know and love. I don't think it's doable as an expansion though, unless they wanna add a time warp, right?  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:47:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »

Reading the boards, it sounds like they did a bit of cut and paste with some quests on Coruscant/Empire 1st planet. The space stations are identical except for signage too, which I thought was convenient for knowing where things are, but a bit lazy.

The ideas behind the start of the Esseles and the intial Empire flashpoint are also similar, but they turned out to be very different.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 08:41:11 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on December 19, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

I liberated my gunslinger's ship today, and was transported back to my youth, geeking out with happiness as I saw the camera pan out to show my own version of the Millenium Falcon.  That entire scene was awesome.    
You can give rides to folks on your ship. I think I mentioned riding in another smuggler's ship back to Taris because I was flat broke.  icon_cool Of course, you reach your destination in about 2 seconds, so it's a bit deflating...

I think maybe you have to enable the "OK to share same class's instance" in preferences (maybe?). Then you can follow another player into their ship landing bay "instance" and you'll be able to get on the ship. Might a cool place to hold a "guild meeting" or something. At least until/unless they add Guild Capital Ships down the road.  icon_smile

I find it telling that nobody remembers a single line from the movies Episodes I-III afik. For most of us it doesn't matter if this is The Old Republic era and Episodes 4-6 wasn't. I still relate everything cool I run into (cantina, smuggler ship, etc.) to those more beloved movies, and a lot of us have fun trading our favorite lines while we're in game even if the eras don't match.

Someone from here was bragging about how rich they were in game (from Slicing), and on cue I said, "Don't get cocky, kid!" (SW:ANH) icon_smile

"HURRY UP, Goldenrod! You're gonna be a permanent exhibit!" (TESB) icon_cool

I believe there's a guild called "Scruffy Looking Nerf-Herders" and I crack up every time I see the nameplate on someone.  icon_lol

I realize there's a thousand good reasons for setting this game in the Old Republic era. But part of me still wishes, if they were gonna kill off SWG anyway, they'd have let Bioware take a stab at that era that we all know and love. I don't think it's doable as an expansion though, unless they wanna add a time warp, right?  icon_smile
Are there any memorable lines from the new trilogy?  The only one that immediately comes to mind is when Obi-Wan defeats Grievous with a blaster pistol and says something like, "Such an uncivilized weapon."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 19, 2011, 04:25:29 PM

I have to say it drives me crazy every time someone calls an Imperial an "Imp" or "Imps". They never did that in the movies, probably because it sounds stupid.

it's because in the movie they aren't communicating in text chat where it pays to shorten stuff, you rebel noob  ninja
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 19, 2011, 09:30:56 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 19, 2011, 04:25:29 PM

it's because in the movie they aren't communicating in text chat where it pays to shorten stuff, you rebel noob  ninja

Not the players, the NPCs in cutscenes you Imperial imp slywink

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 19, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 19, 2011, 09:11:32 PM

Are there any memorable lines from the new trilogy?  The only one that immediately comes to mind is when Obi-Wan defeats Grievous with a blaster pistol and says something like, "Such an uncivilized weapon."

Well you know there's that bit about sand being rough...

and, "It's over Anakin, I have the high ground"

and, "Dis is nutsen!"

and "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »

By the way, all servers are down tonight from 7-12pm Eastern, so you'll have to find something else to do.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 19, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »

Are there any memorable lines from the new trilogy?  The only one that immediately comes to mind is when Obi-Wan defeats Grievous with a blaster pistol and says something like, "Such an uncivilized weapon."
Yeah. Most of us don't have any particular affection for those 3 more recent films.

I don't necessarily think the first 3 films released had great screenplays -- it seems like much of the favorite lines were improvised, going back to Harrison Ford's supposed remark to Lucas that "You can write this s*it, George, but you sure as hell can't say it!"   icon_smile I get the impression on Eps I-III, with GL directing each time, there wasn't any room for or encouragement of improvisation.

That might be at least part of the reason the films sound so stilted compared to Eps 4-6. To me Eps 1-3 sounded more like a cast dutifully saying GL's lines to the letter, rather than trying to modify/improvise them into something more memorable or, God forbid, fun.  icon_smile

Maybe in retrospect I didn't hate Jar-Jar so much as the idea that GL would stick one "funny" character in there but not give any of the main characters anything fun, interesting or memorable to say. TESB is a dark, grim story, yet it's still full of humor and affection and fun that make you care for and root for characters and still say their lines 31 years later. Even a movie about The Fall of The Republic and Anakin Skywalker didn't need to be endlessly grim and often boring.

Servers down from 7 to 12??? Cripes, I might actually finish Xmas shopping for family and get a good night's sleep for a change.   icon_eek
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:03:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »

Are there any memorable lines from the new trilogy?

Sure:

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: December 20, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »

And it's down frown 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 20, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 10:59:43 PM

Are there any memorable lines from the new trilogy?  The only one that immediately comes to mind is when Obi-Wan defeats Grievous with a blaster pistol and says something like, "Such an uncivilized weapon."
Yeah. Most of us don't have any particular affection for those 3 more recent films.

I don't necessarily think the first 3 films released had great screenplays -- it seems like much of the favorite lines were improvised, going back to Harrison Ford's supposed remark to Lucas that "You can write this s*it, George, but you sure as hell can't say it!"   icon_smile I get the impression on Eps I-III, with GL directing each time, there wasn't any room for or encouragement of improvisation.

That might be at least part of the reason the films sound so stilted compared to Eps 4-6. To me Eps 1-3 sounded more like a cast dutifully saying GL's lines to the letter, rather than trying to modify/improvise them into something more memorable or, God forbid, fun.  icon_smile

Maybe in retrospect I didn't hate Jar-Jar so much as the idea that GL would stick one "funny" character in there but not give any of the main characters anything fun, interesting or memorable to say. TESB is a dark, grim story, yet it's still full of humor and affection and fun that make you care for and root for characters and still say their lines 31 years later. Even a movie about The Fall of The Republic and Anakin Skywalker didn't need to be endlessly grim and often boring.

Servers down from 7 to 12??? Cripes, I might actually finish Xmas shopping for family and get a good night's sleep for a change.   icon_eek

I can tell you exactly why the prequels sucked.  There was no camaraderie between the characters.  Not like there was with Luke, Leia and Han.  You couldnt buy the romance between Amidalla and Anakin because Anakin was such a whiney dis-likable punk.  There was no friendship between Obi-wan and Anakin, it was competition.  There was lots of cool scenes and special effects but the series itself felt flat and dehumanized.  I know it was darker material, with the fall of the republic and the birth of Vader but if they had added a little humanity to Anakin, it would have made the fall to the darkside so much more tragic.  Instead you almost rooted for Anakin to turn because then he could show a little emotion, even if it was anger and hate.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:25:57 AM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:34 AM »

Quote from: ericb on December 20, 2011, 12:04:53 AM

And it's down frown 

I danced on the bar in the cantina right until the end, though!  Ah well, gonna go have to live my real life or something until the official launch.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 20, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 08:41:11 PM

"HURRY UP, Goldenrod! You're gonna be a permanent exhibit!" (TESB)  retard

...permanent resident!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 20, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »

Quote from: Exodor on December 19, 2011, 11:41:17 PM

Sure:

Haha...I forgot (purged) that one.  Way to ruin my childhood movie villian in one scene.   
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 20, 2011, 12:28:45 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 19, 2011, 09:01:29 PM

Reading the boards, it sounds like they did a bit of cut and paste with some quests on Coruscant/Empire 1st planet. The space stations are identical except for signage too, which I thought was convenient for knowing where things are, but a bit lazy.

The ideas behind the start of the Esseles and the intial Empire flashpoint are also similar, but they turned out to be very different.

Are they?  I know they're shaped exactly the same, but I thought the art work was quite different.  I haven't been on the Imperial one since beta, but I remember it being all clean and sleek looking, whereas the Republic one kind of has a junk yard look to it, like someone just slapped the thing together from random crap and then left it to rust a bit.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 20, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »

well damn!  I decided to try to register my game code since the next time I play it will be release day.  Of course they not only took the game servers down but SWTOR.com is down as well. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 20, 2011, 01:32:36 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 20, 2011, 01:19:20 AM

well damn!  I decided to try to register my game code since the next time I play it will be release day.  Of course they not only took the game servers down but SWTOR.com is down as well. 

icon_neutral  Well the good news is there is now a 48-hour Grace Period.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:25 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 20, 2011, 12:26:04 AM

Quote from: Exodor on December 19, 2011, 11:41:17 PM

Sure:

Haha...I forgot (purged) that one.  Way to ruin my childhood movie villian in one scene.   

don't forget:

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: December 20, 2011, 02:56:17 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 20, 2011, 12:28:45 AM

Are they?  I know they're shaped exactly the same, but I thought the art work was quite different.  I haven't been on the Imperial one since beta, but I remember it being all clean and sleek looking, whereas the Republic one kind of has a junk yard look to it, like someone just slapped the thing together from random crap and then left it to rust a bit.

Well yeah, I was mostly talking about the design. I'm sure the textures are a bit different. The Empire seem to like neon. Although I haven't noticed the Republic base looking run-down exactly.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 20, 2011, 02:56:17 AM

Quote from: ydejin on December 20, 2011, 12:28:45 AM

Well yeah, I was mostly talking about the design. I'm sure the textures are a bit different. The Empire seem to like neon. Although I haven't noticed the Republic base looking run-down exactly.

It's most noticeable in the shopping stalls.  The walls look rather rough and, at least to my eye, they look like they're starting to rust.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 20, 2011, 04:44:02 AM »

Hmmm, well maybe if I brush my teeth and do everything to be prepared to run to bed, I can try to log in for... just a few minutes... yeah... that's right... that's the ticket...  smirk

btw, this comic at Darth Hater says it all about George L.:
http://www.darthhater.com/comics/pro-tips/15338-blu-ray-blues

And this one sums up SWTOR  icon_cool
http://www.darthhater.com/comics/pro-tips/15328-dog-pile
*It's not quite true any more I guess, but it still feels a lot more flexible than other MMOs. I've been on a couple fun heroic groups where we didn't just wipe because the healer croaked. We just used all our gizmos/abilities to get by.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:48:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:58 AM »

Servers are back up.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 20, 2011, 05:24:55 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 20, 2011, 04:55:58 AM

Servers are back up.

I am in a queue.  I guess Dreshdae Cantina is a popular server since it looks like the others don't show as full.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 20, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »

Others had the same idea and checked in a little early. No problem getting on Canderous that way smile 

Happy release day everyone, I'm going to bed.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: December 20, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »

I hopped into Dresdrae right after reading Ydejin's note though I suspected server traffic ramped up quickly after that.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

Here's a peek at servers at this hour (about 8:45 a.m. EST, Tuesday):

*They so far do seem to be keeping que waits reasonable. There are probably more beyond this, it's just what I squeezed into one screenshot. Given the early hour (most of West Coast isn't up yet), I'm sure there'll be more West Coast servers getting pounded in a couple hours.
*I just barely started Empire characters on Shadowlands and don't remember getting invited to a guild.  icon_confused

If you're interested in less trafficked servers:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:54:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: December 20, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »

I ordered the game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I might get an hour or so this afternoon, but that will be it until tomorrow at the earliest.

Stupid question, but what server is the gt guild on? I fell behind in the thread, and came back to a ton of unread pages.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: December 20, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on December 20, 2011, 03:22:56 PM

I ordered the game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I might get an hour or so this afternoon, but that will be it until tomorrow at the earliest.

Stupid question, but what server is the gt guild on? I fell behind in the thread, and came back to a ton of unread pages.
Dresdrae Cantina (PVE-East U.S.), but it's really slammed this morning so I wouldn't begrudge anyone for starting characters on other servers, or joining The Wanderers etc. Just keep DC in mind for your long term plans please.  icon_smile

To be honest, we're really just using it for chat. I don't think any of us has even seen each other in the game world to this point. I won't have a lot of time to play until Thursday night so I'm kinda hoping other folks will catch up to me a bit (L21).

I created a couple characters on The Shadowlands but that was full this morning too. One of the new servers added for launch (see the SWTOR news/dev tracker thread here) might be a safer bet if the wait ques look bad on the "established" servers.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 20, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 20, 2011, 03:34:02 PM

To be honest, we're really just using it for chat. I don't think any of us has even seen each other in the game world to this point. I won't have a lot of time to play until Thursday night so I'm kinda hoping other folks will catch up to me a bit (L21).

I've bumped into a few while jogging around but I have yet to group with anyone.

I usually just /wave.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: